Profile for JJ4prez > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 48

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

JJ4prez RSS Feed (Houston)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Grand Theft Auto V
Grand Theft Auto V
Price: $59.96
25 used & new from $54.99

5.0 out of 5 stars PC - the new home for the best looking/running GTA5, April 14, 2015
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V (Video Game)
**This game not downloading correctly has nothing to do with Rockstar, that's Amazon's fault. I purchased/pre-loaded/updated through Steam and it runs and plays like a dream. Social Club is working perfectly fine for me as of last night.**

First and foremost, before reading below, GTA 5's new home to the best running and best looking port is definitely on PC.

GTA 5 for PC is simply beautiful. So much more polished, crisp, deeper colors, etc than the consoles. But that's not the reason why I am blown away, 60+ fps makes this game come alive and play so much more mechanically sound. There are SO many options for visuals - more than any PC game currently out. GTA5 gives you a VRAM bar, which lets you know how much VRAM your current options are using in the graphic page. This alone is amazing, and hopefully every game after it does the same kind of thing. On launch day there was no problems with the servers, games, no bugs, glitches, etc. It was extremely smooth for me and the few people I was playing with.

The kicker is, I have bought this game three times now (PS3 in 2013, PS4 in 2014, PC in 2015). But I have yet to experience GTA online because I refuse to pay for ps+. Not only that, but I get to play around with the robust video recorder and eventually get to play around with the megaload of mods.

4/15 Edit: Played GTA Online for 3 hours last night without a hiccup. Had a few weird texture issues that lasted about 3 seconds before going away and a weird glitch where cops were doing some funny stuff, but ultimately it ran great compared to the awful PC releases we have had in the past.

Couple of notes I forgot to mention in my original review...
1) The shooting in a car mechanic is 100x better than the awful and awkward console way. It's literally just a right click to aim, left click to shoot...It's that simple.
2) Cops AND pedestrian vehicles are MUCH smarter in the PC game. I have had cops so far try to box me in, cut me off, get in front of me and slowly tap on their brakes, etc. This was a huge surprise as the cops in the console versions are complete dumb%$#@. They also group together better when they try to arrest/shoot you when you are on foot. Huge upgrades to the cop AI means this game is much more fun to play online and in story mode.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2015 8:27 AM PDT

Ultra Zoom Ankle Brace, Black, Large/X-Large
Ultra Zoom Ankle Brace, Black, Large/X-Large
Price: $45.95
5 used & new from $45.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, semi-comfortable, great support, questionable straps..., April 8, 2015
This review is from: Ultra Zoom Ankle Brace (Sports)
I am wearing this brace because I rolled my ankle playing basketball and my specialist suggested getting a typical wooden/metal stirrup brace for the healing process. I of course didn't want to go down that route because that's outdated medical technology. So I browsed Amazon and came across this performance/hybrid brace that you can wear in daily or sport conditions. I bought it immediately.

When I received the package, it was kind of packed like it was just thrown in the box and taped up. The paper work was old, crinkled, and faded, although the brace was in perfect condition.

The brace can be very uncomfortable at first, be sure you wear a high sock for added comfort. Remember, I am putting this brace on as my foot is still swollen from my injury, so my pain can be self caused. But, the brace ends up molding quite well and becoming unnoticeable at times while walking and being active.

The plastic is great quality, the material they use for everything else is very well made, the straps are perfectly sturdy for even a big guy like myself. The bottom strap has actually two straps, one on each side, which is genius. Because it allows you to get a even distribution of tension focused on the middle of your foot. However, and this is where I took a star off, the top strap just goes left to right. Why?! This would be the perfect brace if the straps on top (near ankle/shin) were just like the foot straps. Since the top strap only goes from left to right, it makes the brace *slightly* tighter on the left side of your foot, which is noticeable. This not only brings worries of unbalanced support for your right side of your right ankle (in my case), but I am kind of worried about my knee.

I am going to test this out much more as I get healed up and ready to play/be active again after my injury. So I will update with more impressions later on in the month.

Thanks

Ozeri Brezza II Dual Oscillating 10" High Velocity Desk Fan
Ozeri Brezza II Dual Oscillating 10" High Velocity Desk Fan
Price: $34.99
8 used & new from $29.74

3.0 out of 5 stars Good fan, cheap parts., March 29, 2015
I've owned this for two years now, and I decided to write a review mostly because I see this is so highly rated.

It's a fan, it works. It rotates and goes up and down, works quite well.

Couple of problems, and the reason why this is a 3/5. It's hard to get the plates off to clean, not an easy proof process. It also creeks when it goes all the way left or right, which can be quite annoying. The knob is cheap and not well put on. Within 6 months the knob fell off.

It works well, but has a few cheap parts on it that don't really make it a 50-60 dollar fan. In my opinion.

Thanks

Cities: Skylines [Download]
Cities: Skylines [Download]
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Plain and simple, the best city builder to date, March 24, 2015
I can go on and on and on about this game. It's simple, easy to understand, complex in it's own right, very expansive, no online requirement, manual hard drive saves AND Steam Cloud saves, small download size, so much content for $30, etc.

Edit 4/8/2015: Not to mention the Steam Workshop. If you don't know what that is, it's Steam's in house modding community, and it's brilliant for this game. Modders have put in a TON of very useful things for your city so far, all free, easy to download, and easy implemented in your games options.

Edit 4/13/2015: Please go view the Steam Workshop for this game. Modders have already added a plethora of parking lots to chose from. Tired of your streets being pack by people parking on the side of the roads? Add parking lots to your game! Plenty of building and statistic mods as well via the workshop.

If you like city simulation builders, this is for you. It's such a blast to play, it's cheap to boot, has an amazing publisher behind it (Paradox), and modding community is amazing.

5/5
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2015 6:56 AM PDT

Battlefield Hardline [Online Game Code]
Battlefield Hardline [Online Game Code]
Price: $59.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite Battlefield, something decently unique to the genre., March 24, 2015
I have not played the campaign, BF titles in my opinion are always MP games.

Having said that, the MP runs like a dream. I dropped 800 hours into BF4 PC, the game is still somewhat a wreck. Hardline has much better player to player (P2P) connections on the dedicated servers. Why? Because DICE/Visceral have taken out a good bunch of the special effects that make BF4 so visualizing special. Hardline still looks decent, but it's not shiny like BF4 is, with good reason though! If anyone has more than 100 hours experience with BF4, you know that the game doesn't run well at all. DICE didn't even fix BF4 until October 2014 (a year after it came out). BF4 still suffers from lag, bad hit detection, lag cover kills, etc. Hardline does not, or it's drastically been reduced. If it was me, i'd rather have less visual effects and better connection to the engine and server for a better and smoother experience. But Hardline *definitely*, without a doubt, runs *much* better than BF4 online. I have a good internet, hardwired, Nvidia gpu (GTX780) and a AMD cpu (FX8320). So nothing crazy there, it just works as intended. To this day I am still getting BF4 crashes on my PC, not common, but they are there I haven't crashed once yet in Hardline.

Now that's out of the way, don't listen to people who say "This is a mod" of BF4. That's drastically wrong. This game does feel fresh, Blood Money is simply one of Battlefield's greatest modes/gametypes of *all* time. It's fun, it's engaging, it's fast paced, you need to work as a team, etc. It has all of the traditional BF-like qualities. Hotwire (911 car chase mode) is fun, but gets incredibly dull after the first 5 minutes or so. Do not play TDM, as the spawns are terrible; I think other reviewers have said this as well. Even Conquest large suffers from bad spawns, play Conquest small for better results here.

The gun action and gameplay seems like a decent blend between current BF4 and current COD. The recoil is heavier in BF4, but the guns jump around (more inconsistently and arcade-y) like COD does. In other words, it's not directly horizontal or vertical recoil like in BF4. In Hardline, your guns jump in every direction. If you are a BF vet, it takes some time getting use to. Sniping is way too easy, I think there is definitely going to be a nerf here soon. Hardly any recoil, hardly any drop. It reminds me of an easier version of Bad Company 2 sniping, which was already super easy.

The maps are awesome! I haven't seen base maps as good as these since possibly Bad Company 2 (with a slight nod to 4-5 maps in BF3). I think it's just me disliking BF4 base maps (besides Zavod and sometimes Siege) so much. Visceral has handcrafted some great FPS infantry maps here. They aren't super big like Wake Island (BF2/BF3) but are decently sized like Noshar Canals (BF3) or even Zavod (BF4). So don't expect some small maps like COD.

Summary (TLDR version): This game is good, it's faced paced, it's mostly balanced, it brings back concentration on gun battles, awesome new game modes/types, it works, I don't lag, I don't crash, no cover dying (at least yet), nominal hit detection for a BF game and the starting maps are so far amazing.

Thanks for reading.

Edit 4/8/2015: Hotwire is still pretty fun to play, about 20 hours in. I suggest waiting for a big discount though. Why? Because this game on PC only has about ~4k people active on it during most parts of the day, BF4 is almost 4-5x more populated at any given point. Go check out the concurrent users, bfhstats.com. The game is fun, it runs great, has flaws, needs some weapon balancing, but it's not being too well received by most of the BF community. Once GTA5, Witcher 3 and "Squad" comes out, this game will likely go extinct.

Onkyo LS-T10 6.1-Channel 3D Surround Base System
Onkyo LS-T10 6.1-Channel 3D Surround Base System
Offered by cincynow
Price: $299.50
17 used & new from $199.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound base!, February 20, 2015
Just going to do a basic pros and cons for this unit...

Pros
+Auto on/off feature
+Very sturdy base, made very well
+Very loud for a medium sized living room
+Great bass, sound, and 3D applications
+No rattling when turned up
+Very basic to use

Cons
-Does not have a volume notification panel/window
-Small remote, if that bothers you
-Cannot read selection buttons/lights, as it's on top of the unit

This unit is clearly a winner, just read the other reviews. I bought this on Amazon about 6 months ago for ~180 dollars via Lightning Deal, so glad I did because it's 100x better than my 47" LED TV speakers.

All, this is NOT a suitable replacement or addition for someone wanting a true 5.1 surround sound setup. This is just merely a advanced TV sound system, and it does that job extremely well.

Glad I bought it, 5/5

Corsair Air Series AF140 LED Quiet Edition High Airflow Fan - Purple (CO-9050017-PLED)
Price: $16.99
35 used & new from $13.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fans, affordable, easy to install, not too bright, February 20, 2015
Great fans, silent, and push A LOT of air. I replaced and added these to my Corsair 540 Air series case, they push much more air than the included stock Corsair fans in the case. As for color, I chose purple because it's the least bright color out of the bunch - it doesn't light the entire room up like white or blue does. I recently purchased a GTX 780 for my case and my games at max load were hitting just about 80 degrees C, when I replaced one of my stock fans and added 1 to the top, those temps went down to about 55-60 degrees C at peak power with BF4/Dying Light. That's a nice drop, and I am satisfied.

Pros: silent, affordable (sub $16), push a lot more air than stock case fans, good brightness on the purple LED, extremely easy to install
Cons: need an option to turn off the LED lights

PNY GeForce GTX 780 3GB CC Graphics Cards VCGGTX7803XPB-CC
PNY GeForce GTX 780 3GB CC Graphics Cards VCGGTX7803XPB-CC
3 used & new from $330.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Snagged this for 299.99 during a sale on Amazon, February 12, 2015
3/24/2015 - Update: In 1080p (60hz monitor) all at 60+fps and maxed out: BF4, BFHardline, Skylines Cities, Skyrim with A LOT of visual mods, Dying Light (surprised by this one, it's a very graphical intense game), etc. When Witcher 3 and GTA5 come out, I will update the review.

Original
------------------------
As title says, 299.99 purchase is an amazing price for a GTX 780. I didn't plan on upgrading until the GTX 970s got into the 275-299.99 price range, but seeing this I couldn't help myself. The card itself is high quality, all titanium build, nice back plate, white LEDs on the fans and the fans work great. This card is about the same length as a Gigabyte Windforce (tri-fan) GTX 760, so the upgrade for me didn't cause any issues size wise.

(specs for comparison: cpu-fx8320 non-oc'd, 8GB 1600 RAM, 1080p gaming, old gpu- Gigabyte Windforce rev 2.0 GTX 760)

Out of the box this gpu has a smaller core clock than most gpus of this quality/performance. Have no fear, the GTX 780s are complete beasts in overclock abilities. The first thing I did after installing this was give it a +150 core clock boosts (reaching about ~1050) and that alone gets it on par with GTX 970 performance. The 780s can get MUCH higher core clock boosts if done correctly. Since I have a smaller psu, I am likely going to keep it here for now.

Performance wise, I am easily maxing out BF4 in 1080p while getting a stable 70-80 FPS in combat and a 120+ FPS while looking up in the sky. Dying Light is maxed as well, with stable frames. Skyrim with a ton of Steam workshop visual mods is running max with ease as well. Metro Last Light runs at max with a 50-70 FPS range, this was a surprise to me as this game is hard to run visually. While playing BF4, this card reached like 35 C degrees, during Dying Light it reached about 55 C degrees, which is about normal.

I have never had a PNY product before, but this is high quality stuff here, and it performs wells right out of the box. Definitely impressed and well worth a <299.99 price point.

Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case CC-9011030-WW - Black
Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case CC-9011030-WW - Black
Price: $129.99
42 used & new from $120.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Great airflow, case design and appearance, February 11, 2015
I have owned this case for about a year now, bought straight from Amazon. There's two sides of this case, with a divider basically right down the middle. One side is for your PSU, mobo, gpu, cpu/cooler, and the other size is for your HDDs, SSDs and media drive. The HDD side has a nice little rack for HDDs and nice plug and play connections for SSD (I believe there is two). Cable management is better than average as well, lots of areas with rubberized stoppers and plenty of room to shove all your cables to. The case itself is high quality of construction. The fans included are awesome silent corsair fans. I only have the 120mm (1),140mm (2), my cpu cooler and my psu cooler connected and the case stays cool in most conditions. The front of the case has a clip on mechanic to allow you to take off the lid and clean the fans/filter. The filter is magnetic, which is a huge plus, and easy to get on and off. I took off a star due to how frustrating the clip on case in the front is to put back on. It feels cheap, it doesn't connect easily, and I have to slam it on sometimes just to get it to pop back in.

Dying Light - PC
Dying Light - PC
Price: Click here to see our price
32 used & new from $41.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Techland's very brave entry to their zombie franchise, January 29, 2015
This review is from: Dying Light - PC (Video Game)
Where to start on this one... Below are my impressions on the game so far into my venture into Techland's new zombie game, Dying Light.

*DO NOT BUY ON STEAM - they are charging $60 for it currently, no idea why.*

*update 2/7/2015*
Please update your game before playing (should auto-update through Steam). They have come out with a big patch on 2/5 I believe that fixed quite a few things for me and a few people in my "clan". For AMD cpu users, it's been better optimized for us, finally. It wasn't laggy before, but there would be a few times were the draw distances would just demolish your FX6300/8300 series cpus. Co-op has been fixed for good as well. I had a buddy who couldn't join anyone's game without freezing, and no he can play with us without a hitch. There are still problem with zombies getting a hold of you though. If one gets to you, you will drop down to 1 FPS for a split second, it's happening on all CPU/GPU combos right now. Hopefully that's the next fix. Other than that small problem, the game is running great and is still extremely fun 15+ hours into it.

*update 2/3/2015*
The game keeps giving it's money worth. Some of the abilities you gradually unlock are just plain awesome. From head stomper (similar to Dead Island's version), to the drop kick, to repair help, etc. Co-op in this game runs mostly flawlessly, one of my buddies cannot play co-op at all for some reason. But the joining, the playing, the exploring with friends works great. This game keeps on giving it's value.

------

Game is worth $50. I got my physical copy at Bestbuy for PC - it has a Steam code inside of it. The game is simply a blast, extremely well done on PC, it's only ~16 GB, which is insane because the game looks drop dead gorgeous with a ton of DX11 stuff flying around in the air (from birds, smoke, leaves, etc). One of the best looking games out and it's WELL optimized for PCs, 16GB shows that. My GTX 760 plays it on medium to high pretty good. Although there is some stuttering, which I think is from my cpu - but that's not the games fault. Also, character AI is a lot better. Better voice acting, character models have been vastly improved, etc for Dying Light. A solid A in this category Techland.

The combat is simply superb, a huge step above Dead Island. It's basically a little smoother, but still has that hefty Dead Island feel to it, and refined by more experience. The missions so far are great, they are kind of fetch quests - think more on the lines of Sunset Overdrive quests - but so far they are well done. Night time is extremely stressful; when you are watching the sunset, and it turns into dusk, your heart starts thumping. You start hearing weird sounds, screams in the distance, odd things are going on, etc. They did an exceptional job on the sounds in this game. The abundance of zombies is terrific, not only in numbers, but in style. There are regular dumb slow zombies who take 4-6 hits to die (but are slow in return), there are faster mutated zombies, big bosses, and some humans who are just turning. They improved in this category big time, the "thug" zombies (bigger/badder bosses) have SO much character this time around. They are terrifying and very strong. Use your environment to kill them in the beginning. In Dead Island, they were stupid, slow, nothing specific about them made me shout or be like "omg". This is definitely not the case. Like I said, night time is terrifying, and a different breed of zombies come out to play.

The movement system in this game is simply extraordinary, it's similar to Mirrors Edge but with more of an arcady feel to it. But it works out perfectly for the style of game play Techland wants you to do. This game is not Dead Rising, you cannot just go into a huge crowd and chainsaw everyone without taking damage. You have to use your movement system in game to stay alive - plain and simple. But it opens up an entire new world of different combinations to escape or even kill enemy. Very impressed with the movement in game. I cannot explain to you how much better it is than Dead Islands choppy character movement.

The menu systems, crafting, blueprints, inventory, etc all are MUCH better this time around as well. Things are more organized, it seems more in line with a proper RPG. The skill tree is much more defined, and better explains the nature of your character. Missions are like I said, very well done so far.

The world and exploration is amazing too. There's loot, everywhere around the city. I love exploring the world so far as it's done SO well.

I only played for about 60 minutes last night (60 minutes after the 30 minute tutorial session), so will continue to post impressions on interesting things as I go along. Everyone, this is not just some simple zombie game. It's more scary this time around, it's mysterious, it's a better story, you have so many tools at your finger tips now. Play it!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2015 9:54 AM PST