Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS
Profile for M. Leister > Reviews

Browse

M. Leister's Profile

Customer Reviews: 63

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Leister RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Downton Abbey: Season 6 (The Final Season) [Blu-ray]
Downton Abbey: Season 6 (The Final Season) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Hugh Bonneville
Price: $27.96
45 used & new from $22.32

4.0 out of 5 stars A good end to a good show, January 31, 2016
The final season of Downton is both satisfying and disappointing. All the main stories are suitably wrapped up and there are hints that maybe a few years down the road we will see George and his generation in WWII. Honestly I am torn if I want this or not. Nice to visit old friends, but I might prefer my own imaginings to what Julien Fellows would pen as I found Downton's swan song rushed with people seemingly shoved together just so they had someone to ride off into the sunset with. Not to mention three seasons of depressing murder and rape plots I need never go through again. Did anyone really care who killed the rapist? He was a rapist, he is dead, cheer and move on.

Spoilers below.

The romantic entanglements of the Crawley family largely drove the plot of the previous five seasons so I am bewildered as to why Mary, Edith and Tom wind up with barely established characters. Yes, Mary got her first proposal from Matthew in one season, but he was a major character in 6 out of 7 episodes of that year. Henry Talbot was gorgeous and affable, got about five minutes of screen time in the season five finale and wasn't seen again until episode four of season six. Even then he was barely used. Just as we are never told why Tony Gillingham wasn't the one other than he wasn't right, we are never told why Henry is. Even Lord Grantham can't figure it out. They knew this was the last season, why did they waste so much time on the losers in season five instead of establishing Henry much earlier on? Why was he not present from episode one of season six? Truly it feels like they expected the show to have seven seasons and when waning ratings in the UK had ITV pulling the plug, continued with their steady build plan and then rushed the ending. Had they struggled this year and married in season seven I would have no complaints, but no matter how many times Mary or Edith comment their romances are moving fast (much as Rose did last season) it doesn't excuse the lack of story building. It can be excused for a secondary character like Rose, but not with two leads.

While Edith was never a favorite, I would have liked to know her spouse better. He seemed nice. And don't get me started on Tom's last minute shuffle to Ms. Edmunds. Yes, she is better than the date raping maid or the obnoxious teacher but who is she beyond being an editor? Romance by plot points doesn't do it for me.

The real romance, the one that had time put into it, that would have given the Crawleys one final scandal was Mary and Tom. He supported and encouraged her, she trusts him, imagine if he went to America to escape having to watch her marry another and confessed he returned because near her was all he wanted. As against the idea as I was in season four when everyone pushed it, it felt right now and would explain why Mary was so down about him leaving. But no, strangers all around as love interests.

Robert gets a new dog and Cora gets a new job. Violet runs away from home in a snit and Isobel takes Lord Merton back to save him from his awful family. Barrow winds up with the house as his life partner about the only relationship that was built over six years that was left unresolved; however, Carson's one episode of shaky hands and suddenly its palsy and he must retire is another hurried plot point to bring it about. The previously dimwitted Mosely is suddenly smart enough to be a teacher and Daisy remains my least favorite character. Annoying when she was always chasing a guy, more so when she let Mrs. patmore bully her into leading William on so she could whine they made a liar of her for two years, she steps into odious territory with her constant snarks about life in service and how the Crawleys, who should have fired her when she had her sit in, are awful to her. No one made her go into service, no one is making her stay. Stop griping and quit. After costing Mr. Mason his home and living by shooting off her mouth heedlessly, she still wants to rant at Cora that she is owed something she assumed she was getting and took as a promise when none was made. They write her like she is a young girl when, if she was 17 in season one, she would now be 30, a full adult and, by rights, should be less stupid.

Edith gets the mega happy ending. Does she deserve happiness? Yes. A guy, a big title, an estate and uber riches? No. She sowed too much misery. Season one she outed Mary's Turkish tryst out of spite. In 1913 that, as we saw, was a life destroyer. People today don't understand how such a thing could ruin a woman, it was totally wrong that it would, but it did and Edith, reader of her sister's diary, Eavesdropper, and catty remark marker in her own right in season one, meant to ruin Mary. So I very much think she deserved what Mary did to her with Marigold in season six. Turnabout being fair play. But then we must consider that Edith's nasty letter came to the attention of Bates' first wife, leading her on the blackmail trail to Downton where she made Anna and Bates miserable and then made us all miserable with the stupid murder plot. Yes, that is Edith's fault and she never once showed remorse. She deserved every snark Mary aimed at her for that and yet wanted to sulk.

The worst crime Edith committed was in yanking her daughter out of two homes. Rosamund admonishes her for taking baby Marigold from the Swiss family, but Edith shrugs it off because they got another baby. My grandparents had a birth mother do that to them, and went on to adopt other children, but let me tell you, that is not a hurt you forget. What Edith did there was awful, what she did next was reprehensible. She left Marigold with the Drews for a year or two, hard to tell with Downton, made a nuisance of herself and then ripped Marigold away. I don't care how well Marigold knew Edith, any child that age would be wailing to go back to the mother she knew, not calmly sitting there on a train. It would have traumatized the girl and perhaps given us a better story of Edith giving her back and being selfless because it was too cruel. Nope. She keeps the girl and it drives the Drews out of a home that had been in their family for centuries. If only the pointless blackmail plot from the first episode was Mrs. Drew threatening Edith instead of it being about Mary. Edith deserved the karma and it would have been more original.

The most heartbreaking scene is the one where Carson, whose illness crops up out of nowhere and suddenly renders him useless because he can't pour drinks, is shuffled into retirement in the middle of Edith's reception. A horrified look from Mary who heads off to midwife Anna, a times are changing from Robert who goes back to the party and Carson is left to face crumble alone. It gives Thomas his HEA, but is a cruel blow to the heart of the house. Everyone gets a good end except Carson, that is rather mean.

Downton has the type of end I like, we are given a sense of where it will go without ending it all (I feared they might lose the house) as if we might one day turn a corner and find the family out for a walk ready to invite us inside again. Thinking back on all that we followed them through I can't decide if Downton stayed too long at the party (nothing after season three really seems that great) or went home too soon (it feels like they needed one more year to flesh characters and stories out).

Aveeno Active Naturals Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer, SPF 30, 2.5 Ounce
Aveeno Active Naturals Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer, SPF 30, 2.5 Ounce
Price: $13.57
20 used & new from $13.57

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a winner, January 2, 2016
Made my face very greasy looking without providing any real hydration and it made me break out.

Oblivion (A Lux Novel)
Oblivion (A Lux Novel)
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, January 2, 2016
I liked the Lux books and looked forward to reading the early books from Daemons POV. However they got really repetitive. How many times is he going to say how long Katy's legs are and that he likes that? She is short with long legs, I remember that from every other page it was mentioned on, lets stop telling that. The phrase "totally took it there" was also overused in some variation. I forgot how idiotic Katy was about Simon and basically let him abuse her to prove she was strong. Um, no, no, not how it works darling. But her stupidity got someone killed and instead of us getting to see Daemon struggle with forgiving her, he basicaly decides he loves so he has to.

I actually just realized I never finished reading this all and that doesnt bother me at all.

Jem and the Holograms (2015-) #1
Jem and the Holograms (2015-) #1
Offered by Idea & Design Works

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the movie but has some bumps, January 2, 2016
I liked it, was quite soothing after the movie debacle to see someone modernize Jem while still being true to the original source material. Kudos there. But a few things did stick in this orignal Jem Girl's crawl.

1. Why does Jerrica, strong 80s power woman, have to be crippled by insecurity to be relevant in today's everyone must be a quivering bundle world? Couldn't she be a powerhouse who wants it all, but also wants privacy in a media driven world? I really dislike that they had to make her weak.

2. Kimber bullies Jerrica? Was Kimber impetuous and immature in the show? Yep. Did she stand up for herself? Again, yes. Was she mean? Never ever. The scene in the alley where Kimber berates Jerrica for her fears is just totally out of character. Kimber never would have spoken to anyone let alone Jerrica that way. She was a downright bully and I hated it.

3. Why make Kimber of all characters a lesbian? She almost married a MAN after a love triangle involving two MEN. Why pick her to be rewritten as gay? If they wanted to add a gay storyline, which I am fine with, why not select a character with no estsablished romantic history? Shaina, Kimber, Jem/Jerrica and Pizzazz all had male love interests or at least in Pizzazz's case showed interest in men (Riot and Rio). But Aja who just had an almost thing with Craig Phillips, Roxy, Stormer and Jetta were all possbilities. Imagine the impact of Raya with her strict dad being gay. Now there is a story. But Kimber? Seemed like a shock value choice to me.

4. Why does the nice Misfit, Stormer, have to be fat? Can't she be fat and mean or thin and nice? Must she be the stereotypical nice sweet fat girl?

Again, this isn't bad at all, but I just don't get some of their choices.

OtterBox Commuter Series Case for Apple iPhone 6 / 6S 4.7" - Retail Packaging - Purple/Purple
Offered by thePruneDanish
Price: $29.99
3 used & new from $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the purple, September 5, 2015
My old commuter case kept my iphone 4 safe through several falls so it was all I wanted when I got an iphone 6. Super happy to find purple and wish Otterbox offered more cases in this color. Only down side is that the hard shell doesn't fit flush with the silicone part at the top.

The Royal We Free Preview (The First 7 Chapters)
The Royal We Free Preview (The First 7 Chapters)
Offered by Hachette Book Group

3.0 out of 5 stars Best part, August 9, 2015
The first 7 chapters were enough to get me to buy the whole book, but they were the best part.

Beyond Shame (Beyond, Book 1)
Beyond Shame (Beyond, Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive, August 9, 2015
Most of this book is everyone saying how much he or she wants Noelle mostly because she had big eyes and asking her why she wants what she wants. Noelle herself is involved in admiring her new tattoos and wanting a guy she has known for five minutes and she doesn't know why she wants what she wants. They all have the same conversations over and over.

X-Men: Days of Future Past (The Rogue Cut) [Blu-ray]
X-Men: Days of Future Past (The Rogue Cut) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ James McAvoy
Price: $14.99
38 used & new from $14.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Better end for old friends, August 9, 2015
I loved the first two X-Men movies and hated the way The Last Stand ignored prominent characters and slaughtered others. DOFP, measured on its own merits, was an engrossing film with humor, action and good character development. As part of the X-Men franchise, it did a great job of bringing proper closure to characters from the first trilogy while forwarding the new characters.

After hearing Rogue was to be in this film, I was disappointed the theatrical version cut her out. Say what you will about movie Rogue (I never read the comics) but she was central in the first two films and deserved better in Last Stand. I secretly ship her and Wolverine as Anna and Hugh have great chemistry. When I saw the Rogue cut was available I bought it. Her part is still small, but it wraps up her story better than when we last saw her and still plays with her relationship with Logan (just watch the scene where he wakes up saying her name).

With the exception of the intercut scenes where young Magneto breaks in to get his helmet and old Magneto goes to save Rogue, I felt her scenes added to the movie (although still confused how the dying Kitty she replaced perked up and was sitting there watching instead of keeling over from blood loss). During the Magneto scenes, switching back and forth ruined the young one's scene and the overall pacing. Better to have put Rogue's rescue elsewhere.

If all else fails, Hugh Jackman's butt makes a cameo.

Brie's Tokyo Tryst (Submissive in Love, #1)
Brie's Tokyo Tryst (Submissive in Love, #1)

2.0 out of 5 stars The Mary Sue submissive, August 9, 2015
The first series of this story wasn't bad, though too much effort was put into making Brie perfect than making her a real person. The second series I didn't bother to finish after reading the sample of book 8 where Brie has to explain she was joking because showing an ounce of personality outside of stroking Sir's ego how wonderful he is might get her in trouble. Yuck. This book was free so I thought I would check in to see if the writing quality had improved. Unfortunately not.

The book starts with Brie having a premonition because perfect subs have that power apparently and goes down hill from there. Clunky dialogue, reptitive scenes kill the tiny bit of story in it and the gagging perfectness of Brie grates. Supposedly she is in control because she can refuse to live this life, but her total lack of spirit to do anything except be treated as a helpless, misbehaving child who couldn't possibly navigate the world without a stronger person at her side or without the training that taught her this was the way to be makes her utterly dull and a total doormat.

This is the last Brie story I will be reading. If you to see a sub who doesn't let someone run her life and who grows up and finds strength in herself, try the Kushiel's Dart trilogy.

FitFlop Women's Flora Flip Flop,Black,8 M US
FitFlop Women's Flora Flip Flop,Black,8 M US
Price: $56.21
4 used & new from $56.20

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap looking, July 5, 2015
Sad to say with the rise in price, the quality of fitflops has gone down. I was excited to get a pair not lined in cheap microfiber, but the so called leather was very stiff and plastic looking/feeling. I took five steps in these and the stitching as well as the edges of thr cut outs rubbed horribly. I usually size down from my usual 9 to an 8 in fitflops, but found with these that while the length was good in the 8, the top wa still kind of loose. I wish they would go back to doing nice quality suede and leather, toss the microfiber and the stiff leather. I sent them back.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7