Profile for A. Doty > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Doty RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
LG BP220 2D Blu-Ray Player with Smart TV (Black)
LG BP220 2D Blu-Ray Player with Smart TV (Black)
Offered by A Top Shelf
Price: $149.00
7 used & new from $27.54

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid!, October 25, 2012
Quick review; this player sucks, don't buy it.

Longer take; Seriously, avoid this blu-ray player

When it works, it works fine. Unfortunately, there appears to be ~50% chance that the player simply locks up when trying to play a movie. And when it locks up it locks completely up with even the power button becoming unresponsive. The only thing to do is unplug the unit. If you happen to have it in an entertainment center with all the cables routed through the back and not easily accessible, this becomes a HUGE pain in the the rear.

Even when it works the UI is ugly and poorly designed. It takes entirely too many button presses to just play a movie you inserted.

Philips SPS6038A/17 Home Charging Station (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Philips SPS6038A/17 Home Charging Station (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, October 25, 2012
I've used the product for a couple months for two phones in our household and a tablet. The Charging Station works well enough, though a few poor design decisions detract from the product. Just to be clear, it operates perfectly fine however...
-The pad where your devices sit is only slightly rubberized. I don't worry about devices falling off too much, but that's mostly because the tray doesn't tilt up very much. I'd prefer it hold devices up at a higher angle and that the rubber coating feel considerably stickier.
-There is no good access point for the connectors. There is no gap under the tray, so all the connectors have to come out from the side of the unit. Consequently, you end up with a bundle of cables that you have to go through to find the right one. Cable organization was one of the main reasons I purchased the station, though it doesn't help much on that front.
-Because the cables can't come up through the bottom of the tray it means that devices whose charging port is on the bottom can't sit upright while they charge. That means that the tray only holds one device at a time.
-The tab that holds tablets for charging does not provide a secure hold. My station resides on an end table next to the couch; I don't have to worry about the tablet falling and hitting the floor because the couch provides a 'wall'. However, without such a barrier next to the station I would not recommend using the tablet holder as it's too easy for your devices to fall out.

Hybrid Mesh Design White/Black Combo Protector Case for Sprint Galaxy Nexus & Verizon Galaxy Nexus

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, October 25, 2012
I've used this case for about 2 months now and am fairly pleased. The rubber case is soft and holds firmly. Most importantly, it does extend out from the screen a bit so that if the phone were to fall face down it wouldn't hit directly on the glass. The white outer case probably isn't strictly necessary for protection, but I like the look of it and it snaps on securely.
My only complaint is that the micro usb port could be a little easier to access. I find that I have to pay particular attention when plugging in my phone to make sure that it's actually charging. It's a bit annoying to find your phone dying because the plug wasn't inserted all the way. Were they to create a slightly larger opening for the port, it'd be a 5 star product.

Philips USA PH-62050 CD/MP3/MD-To-Cassette Adapter (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Pavilion Electronics
Price: $14.87
7 used & new from $7.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, October 25, 2012
I've owned one of these for about 4 years now and just had to replace it because it wore out. 4 years of near daily use impressed me so I purchased one again.
If you need an adaptor, this is a good one to get.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Manage expectations, June 27, 2012
I think the important thing to remeber in reading the reviews of this product are the expectations of the reviewers. We're talking about getting 12 pairs of sunglasses for less than $1 a pair. No they aren't high quality glasses that you'll want to use daily. However, they are great as party favors or gag gifts. I bought these as my son had an 80's party at his school. He wore a pair and handed the reat out to his friends and it's safe to say it was a big hit.

Nature's Wisdom Food Grade DE (D. E.) 1 lb.
Nature's Wisdom Food Grade DE (D. E.) 1 lb.
Offered by The Wandering Prophet
Price: $10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Used as pesticide, June 27, 2012
As stated I used the DE as a pesticide in my garage. I had noticed a couple in there in the evenings and wanted to prevent them from getting in the house. I applied it around the perimeter of the garage about two wekks ago, and haven't seen any roaches alive in the past week. I used a piece of tupperware that has holes in the lid like you would want for parmesean cheese in order to apply the DE. Very satisfied!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2013 4:14 PM PDT

Acer AX1470-UR11P Desktop
Acer AX1470-UR11P Desktop

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, June 27, 2012
Purchased this desktop for the better half to use to web browse, listen to music and burn DVD's. This is plenty sufficient for all those tasks. Windows 7 runs well with 4GB of RAM. Unless you're into PC gaming (and no, Facebook games don't count) or graphic design, this PC should be fine for most people. In fact, I'll be recommending this PC when my parents look to upgrade their systems.

As a side note, one of the reasons I dislike purchasing computers as opposed to building them, is all of the bloatware that manufacturers load up on them. And while this system had just as much as I expected, it was easy to remove it. I was particularly surprised at how easily it was to remove the included anti-virus software as that often times is the biggest pain.

Sony CMTMX500i Desktop Micro System (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Sony CMTMX500i Desktop Micro System (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by DBROTH
Price: $129.95
12 used & new from $103.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for what it is, November 23, 2011
I purchased this stereo for my sons Birthday and it works great. As other reviwers have noted there is no USB input, but there is an auxilliary jack which is what I was looking for to allow input from various devices. I like the nice clean design of the unit and I was surprised at the high quality of sound that it puts out. I'd definetly recommend it for anyone with similar needs; if you need an equalizer or USB port go elsewhere.

Logitech Wireless Speaker Adapter for Bluetooth Audio Devices
Logitech Wireless Speaker Adapter for Bluetooth Audio Devices
Offered by GSI*Online
Price: $41.41
27 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, great range, November 23, 2011
I purchased the adapter so I could play music wirelessly using multiple devcies. (Android phone, Android tablet and iPhone) This little thing works fantastically for us. Though I'm no audiophile, the sound quality seems great to my ear. I was unable to get out of range of the device in a 2500sqft 2 story house so that seems plenty sufficient. It's a great little device and a cheaper way to add bluetooth capabiltiy to a receiver than the various proprietary adaptors.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2011 2:03 AM PST

Coolerguys Programmable Thermal Fan Controller with LED Display
Coolerguys Programmable Thermal Fan Controller with LED Display
Offered by Coolerguys
Price: $40.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but too bright if visible., November 23, 2011
Purchased this item to help regultae the temperature of my a/v cabinet. The Cabinet is Ikea made so I was able to use a dremel to cut out the openeing for the device. I didn't purchase the mounting bracket they sell seperately and instead just mounted this right to the back of the cabinet. This worked, and I'm happy with the fit, but be aware that going this route requires you to be very precise. If you don't have a steady hand/patience then it might be a good idea to get the bracket. The only thing I'd want to bring to prospective buyers attention is the display brightness is very high. Not a problem for my uses as it's not regualrly visible, but I wouldn't be happy with the brightness if it was on display.

Page: 1 | 2