Profile for Jon Norris > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 580

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jon Norris RSS Feed (Oregon, USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Comvita Manuka Honey Propolis Elixir, 6.76 Fluid Ounce
Comvita Manuka Honey Propolis Elixir, 6.76 Fluid Ounce
Price: $14.99
6 used & new from $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, March 5, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Good for sore throats and colds, etc. Ingredients are well known to be helpful for a number of different things - do some research and you'll see how good these things are for you.

Manuka honey is considered nearly a miracle health food, but there are different grades of it. It comes exclusively from New Zealand, and has many healthy properties above and beyond good raw honey, due to the flowers the bees visit. This has fairly mild (10x) manuka, and I have used other products (not cough related) at 40x.

I tried this to help in getting rid of an unusual cold I had this Winter, and found it reasonably useful. It soothed my throat for about half an hour, was a bit stimulating and left an almost mint-like coolness clear down into my stomach. It has a strong and potent flavor, kind of like old-fashioned cherry cough syrup, but I didn't find it unpleasant.

Much to be preferred to pharmaceutical chemical concoctions.

Lucy
Lucy
DVD
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Flowers for Luc Besson, I mean Algernon?, February 23, 2015
This review is from: Lucy (Amazon Instant Video)
I wouldn't call this a science fiction flick - it is mostly an action film with a pseudo-scientific overlay. It is a pretty good action piece, and I like Johansson in this kind of role.

It has flavors of The Matrix, 2001, the Bourne films, and various other films (think Hulk, The Flash, Spiderman, a certain Outer Limits episode with David McCallum, Phenomena, etc.) blended together in a nice collage, with the usual theme of the underdog getting the best in the end kind of theme. There are some stunning visuals, and interesting fight scenes.

It was hard to keep from laughing during the ridiculous attempts at sounding scientific - considering that the whole central theme is based on the "Ten Percent Brain Myth," a well-known piece of non-scientific blather. It is more of a fantasy action movie than science fiction. Along with that theme is nested the materialist/transhumanist dogma of consciousness arising from "pure" intelligence based on some parameter of brain performance. The usual theme of emotion dropping away as one becomes intelligent enough to "control" that "lower" form of behavior is also key here, as is the idea that one certain form of intellectual approach to things being more "evolved" than everything else, and leading to god-like powers.

Who among us has not wished for the kind of power she demonstrates as her "brain percentage" grows? It is a fun romp if you suspend strict adherence to science (or even rational thought, for that matter). Think of it as a kind of modern violent fairly tale, and you'll enjoy it. But be on guard for the transhumanist propaganda laid on thick throughout the entire movie.

The only thing that kept me from rolling on the floor over the "science" was Morgan Freeman - he could read a phone book and make it sound good.

Worth watching - it is fun.

Omron HJ325 Alvita Ultimate Pedometer, Blue
Omron HJ325 Alvita Ultimate Pedometer, Blue
Price: $22.99
25 used & new from $22.87

3.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate maybe, but useful for sure, February 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using this pedometer for about two weeks and I have to say that it works well. It is easy to carry, unobtrusive, and seems to count steps pretty accurately.

I haven't used the calories counting function because I find that to be a fairly useless thing to track. It cannot be even close to accurate, and is one of those "extra" features which serve more to distract than help. I can't say anything about battery life, as I haven't had it long enough to test that.

The pedometer is fairly intuitive to use, especially for the basic function of counting steps. If you are reasonably precise in measuring your stride, then you can get an approximate measure of the distance you walk, but I don't pay a lot of attention to that either, as it is only a rough approximation.

Counting your steps is a pretty good way to measure your activity, which most of us need more of, and this pedometer does a good job of that function.

You will not go wrong with this pedometer.

The Evolution of the Black Rifle: 20 Years of Upgrades, Options, and Accessories
by Jeff Zimba
Price: $10.96
7 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book from an iconic author., February 22, 2015
Great book from an iconic author.

I have only recently gotten back into shooting after a 40 year hiatus. I had been concentrating on more "traditional" kinds of guns, hunting rifles, etc., until I stumbled across the MGI Hydra system (discussed in the book).

I had avoided the dreaded "black rifle" because I had been poisoned by the massive propaganda against it. However, when I finally took an objective look at it, the simplicity, flexibility, and engineering involved in this gun, particularly the Hydra, made me a believer. The AR platform truly is the modern equivalent of the vaunted "Brown Bess" which played so vital a role in the founding of this country, and which represents the key freedom upon which all other freedoms rest: the right to defend oneself.

I have been following Jeff on YouTube for a year or so, and find his work to be practical, useful, and full of insight.

This book is a collection of articles he has written over many years, and the theme is the variety and flexibility of the AR system as it has evolved over time. It is not an encyclopedia of of AR history, nor does it promise to be that (as stated clearly in the subtitle). It is a sampling of the variety of which the platform is capable, based on the author's personal experience.

This is not a training manual, a guide to building ARs, the ultimate history of ARs, or a list of everything you can possibly do to an AR. It is not a detailed guide on how to implement all the models and devices tested. It is a survey of a range of models and devices, examined and tested, with information about how the items fit into the overall picture of the AR world.

I found it very helpful in understanding the platform, and in helping me to more clearly focus on what I want out of the AR system.

This was the first book I bought on the AR (though certainly not the last), and I am quite pleased with the quality and scope of Jeff's writing on the subject. I bought the book primarily to be supportive of his work, and actually found more interesting and relevant information than I expected.

Highly recommended to flesh out one's understanding of the AR platform.

Marvel's Agent Carter Season 1
Marvel's Agent Carter Season 1
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasitc new show, February 16, 2015
R

What started as an extra featurette for the first Captain America movie has blossomed into a great show in its own right. We need more sassy, capable female role models on TV, and this show carries on very well in that arena. Good job, Atwell!

I also like that it is a period piece bringing a greater awareness of the WW2 era (my parent's era) to all the young whipper-snappers who hardly know a thing about the world before they were born.

Well worth a look.

ARM & HAMMER Simply Saline Nasal Relief - 4.25 oz. - 3 pk.
ARM & HAMMER Simply Saline Nasal Relief - 4.25 oz. - 3 pk.
Offered by Celestial Wholesale
Price: $19.99
22 used & new from $14.46

4.0 out of 5 stars Great nasal and throat spray, February 16, 2015
Good, high quality saline spray. Only water, salt and a little sodium bicarb (for pH balancing?). No chemicals or other toxic garbage which you don't need.

Nice, normal saline (or close to it) is very useful and not harmful to the body.

Highly recommended.

Gold Bar Coin Bank: Store Your Loose Change
Gold Bar Coin Bank: Store Your Loose Change
Offered by Home Clever
Price: $11.99
4 used & new from $6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great coin bank and prop, February 16, 2015
Very cool. Reasonably thick plastic body with coin slot and writing on top, and an access slot with a plug on the bottom. The bottom also has soft rubber feet which conceal screws, which presumably allow one to remove the bottom for better access to the inside.

I filled mine nickels for weight to use as a prop, and it feels heavy and solid in one's hand.

Nicely made and finished. A great coin bank. All kind of uses for this!

Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives
Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives
by Gretchen Rubin
Price: $19.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for mastering your habits, February 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been studying self-help material for many decades, and by now, most of it is simply recycled from the past.

This book is different. While the author draws on the past, she also draws on recent research, and packages the material in a fresh manner.

While much of the information is already familiar to me, some of it wasn't, and the author's point of view made several things clearer than books I had read before.

In fact, in the first 1/3 of the book, I had two major insights simply because of her method of explaining things.

She creates her own system and terminology, but I found it useful and beneficial, rather than silly and vain as with most authors who attempt this.

Her treatment of the nature of habits and many different techniques for controlling them blend nicely with her description of human emotions and mental function, which were just detailed enough to be helpful - not overwhelming and complex.

I can't imagine someone not coming away from this book without gaining something useful. If you don't, it's most likely your own fault.

Recommended.

Black & Decker PB1002N Fusion Blade Personal Blender, Black.Blue
Black & Decker PB1002N Fusion Blade Personal Blender, Black.Blue
Price: $29.99
3 used & new from $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars not bad but limited, February 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I don't do a lot of blending as it usually takes so long to clean blenders after use.

This blender, although pretty limited in quantity and only one speed, did a fair job on the few tasks I have set for it, and cleanup was easier than on other blenders I have used.

My main test was making whipped cream flavored with chocolate sauce, and it did an admirable job. It was difficult to get everything out of the jar due to the small neck, but an appropriately sized spatula helped.

If I was into making green drinks and that sort of thing, I imagine I would use this a lot. I intend to try it on more projects as I do more mixed kinds of liquids in my diet, and will see if I have anything to add after that.

The first time I used it, there was a strong "new motor" smell. That should go away as the unit is broken in over time. It seemed quite stable on the counter, and seems pretty strong and well made.

It would be nice if there more speeds, but I will see what I can do with the single speed.

Botanic Choice Thyroid Complex Capsules,  60-Count Bottle
Botanic Choice Thyroid Complex Capsules, 60-Count Bottle
Price: $10.68
4 used & new from $4.89

5.0 out of 5 stars great supplement, January 24, 2015
Good combination of thyroid support supplements similar to a much more expensive brand sold through practitioners.

Works well for me with raw glandular supplements to avoid using toxic synthetics from the Pharmaceutical-industrial complex.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20