Profile for Nelson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nelson RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2
The Documentary
The Documentary
Price: $5.99
117 used & new from $0.32

5.0 out of 5 stars West Coast Resurrection, August 2, 2006
This review is from: The Documentary (Audio CD)
It's tempting to write off The Game's THE DOCUMENTARY as just another over-hyped product, but that would be selling this interesting album short. There's some interesting songwriting and social commentary, performed by an unseasoned rapper who is trying with all his might to live up to mighty heavy expectations.

This album is also powerful and at times even moving. The Game's gruff, honest, in-your-face style is complemented by exquisite and imaginative production. A lot of help from a lot of friends (Dr. Dre, Kanye West, 50 Cent, Faith Evans, Nate Dogg, Busta Rhymes, and Mary J. Blige comprise only a partial list) and the artist's avowed agenda to "give back to Compton" provide an aura of sincerity and substance that transcends dance-track superficiality. The last song, "Like Father, Like Son," is The Game's sentimental love letter to his baby boy, and perhaps the first time the phrase "Lamaze Class" has ever been heard in a rap song. This CD was done very well in my opinion. A look at gang life in Compton!

Crunk Juice
Crunk Juice
63 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars What is crunk?, July 27, 2006
This review is from: Crunk Juice (Audio CD)
Music doesn't get any nastier than CRUNK JUICE. One of the most unusual tracks, a Rick Rubin collaboration, samples Slayer instrumentals with Jon and his East Side Boyz (who are never actually identified on the CD) screaming over them to create what may be the first-ever crunk/blues/metal hybrid in the history of rock & roll. Other songs interweave middle-eastern rhythms, soulful vocal arrangements, vivid call-and-response energy, ADD-poster-child screeching, and occasional delicate strings over Miami bass lines, electronica, and punk-rock ambiance. Chris Rock provides filthy-but-funny spoken-word cameos; Usher, Ludacris, Snoop Dogg, Nate Dogg, R. Kelly, and Lil John protégé Lil Scrappy comprise only a partial list of featured helpers.

It's a testament to CRUNK JUICE'S musical integrity that the album holds up despite lyrics that, in addition to being extremely vulgar, are not especially brilliant--or even funny. What seems like it ought to sound like an immature mish-mosh of styles and performers holds together instrumentally as a terrific dance record. If only the lyrics were in a language no one could understand, we'd really have something wonderful here.

I really don't see what people get out of someone screaming the same words over and over again. Is this really what rap music has become today? Come on!

The Massacre
The Massacre
Offered by Media Supplies Outlet
Price: $14.29
89 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Pure thug, June 15, 2006
This review is from: The Massacre (Audio CD)
Used to be that a person had to have at least one aesthetically pleasing attribute to make it in the music biz, even if it was just a pretty face. No longer, apparently, at least when it comes to gangsta rap. The sure ticket to success in this warped world of terminally adolescent boy-men is "street cred"--that volatile mix of thuggish menace, oversexed misogyny and contempt for societal norms. A few scarred-over bullet holes are the gold standard, with jail time giving an extra boost.

By such accounting, 50 Cent is a gangsta rap god. The self-confessed one-time crack dealer was once shot nine times during a drug turf war. Tiring of that, he tried the rap scene and hit it big in 2003 with Get Rich or Die Tryin'. In the intervening two years he's been wildly successful at the first half of that titular equation and has managed to avoid the second--barely. Now comes The Massacre, selling 1.14 million copies its first week and rocketing to No. 1 on Billboard's album chart (and staying there for a month). Two cuts from the album, "Candy Shop" and "Disco Inferno," currently reside in the single chart's Top-10.

The album is pure thug, and 50 Cent--"Fiddy" as he's often called--intends that to be a good thing. Liner photos have him pointing a large-gauge shotgun directly at the camera--it seems about a millimeter short of being a full-blown grenade launcher--while posing in a room full of firearms. Another image depicts a drive-by hit, with Fiddy leaning out a car's passenger window, a firearm blazing in each hand; a partner leans out the opposite window to fire a shotgun over the car's roof.

Obscenity-laced songs such as "I'm Supposed to Die Tonight," "Ski Mask Way" and "Gunz Come Out" reinforce the lawless image, as does a duet with Eminem called "Gatman and Robbin'." (Gat is hip-hop slang for gun, as in gatling gun.)

Only a couple of tracks show even a glimmer of conscience. "A Baltimore Love Thing" hauntingly dissects the love/hate relationship between a junkie and heroin--told from the drug's point of view. And in a rare moment of self-reflection on "I'm Supposed to Die Tonight" 50 Cent expresses doubt about whether he's "God's child" or "Satan's angel."

Remember, it's all about street cred. Gotta move those CDs, you know.

Serenity (Widescreen Edition)
Serenity (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Nathan Fillion
Price: $7.99
32 used & new from $0.74

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of money!, December 11, 2005
I saw this movie in the theater with some friends of mine and while I was watching it I was so bored I thought I was going to fall asleep during the movie. I wasted nearly 2 hours and $6.50 that I can never get back! If I could I would give "Serenity" zero stars. My friends all liked this movie. I must have been the only one that didn't like it. Well that's all I'm going to say about this boring film. Gosh did this movie suck!!!

WWE Day of Reckoning - Gamecube
WWE Day of Reckoning - Gamecube
Offered by eknight-media
Price: $49.81
59 used & new from $1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Why did I even rent this game?, September 21, 2004
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
First of all, I own Smackdown: here comes the pain for playstation 2. That game is very fun and I am still playing it! After I first heard about Day of Reckoning I was very excited! But when I finally played it! Man.....it sucked! (...) the story mode is not worth playing at all! The story mode on here comes the pain for Playstation 2 is a million times more fun than this sorry excuse for a wrestling game! You cannot play as a WWE superstar on the story mode for Day of Reckoning. That really sucks. They didn't even add the elimination chamer match on this game like they did on Here Comes the Pain. Why does Gamecube even bother making WWE wrestling games? Playstation 2 really knows how to make a fun, realistic WWE game. Gamecube dosen't. (...)

NYPD Blue - Season 2
NYPD Blue - Season 2
DVD ~ Jimmy Smits
Offered by Outlet Promotions
Price: $19.88
6 used & new from $3.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best police dramas ever made!, February 13, 2004
This review is from: NYPD Blue - Season 2 (DVD)
NYPD Blue is one of the best police dramas ever made! What really impresses me is David Caruso is on the first 4 episodes of the 2nd season. It is sad that he left the cast after the 4th episode of season 2, but I found Jimmy Smits to be a very good replacement! The acting is just like real police detectives on this show. This show and "The Shield" are the two best police dramas ever made in my opinion. I highly recommend both of these DVDs if you are a big fan of police shows!

Mortal Kombat II
Mortal Kombat II
49 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the SNES mortal kombat series!, September 27, 2002
This review is from: Mortal Kombat II (Video Game)
A year ago, I bought this game cheap. I loved it. Mortal Kombat 2 has all the good graphics, fatalities, and more characters on the SNES version. Newcomers like Baraka, Jax, Kung Lao and many more are what make a sequel game more fun to play. There are also new bosses such as the emperor Shao Kahn and the huge four-armed Kintaro. Also, the hidden character, Reptile and Shang Tsung that were found on the first Mortal Kombat are now playable! They also included new finishing moves which are Friendships and Babalities! What can I say? This is simply the best Mortal Kombat game on the SNES!

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
115 used & new from $32.44

5.0 out of 5 stars This game is the best nintendo 64 game!, April 26, 2002
I first started playing Ocarina of Time from a good friend of mine. The graphics are really cool and it shows realistic images of stories. I don't see why anybody would give this game only 1 star. I sure enjoyed the good pictures of this game. Next time I'm in a video game store. I am going to buy this game. First of all, the adventure begins when this little boy is at home sleeping. A fairy comes to him and wakes him up. Then you have to find this sword and find the Great Deku Tree. I never get tired of this game because you travel to different places accomplishing many tasks! There are many items you can use too!

I think The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is even better than most playstation and playstation 2 games! It is just that good to me.
If you ever see this game in a store, buy it. You will have a good time with this game!

Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2
Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2
Offered by Legendary Games
Price: $114.95
88 used & new from $11.85

5.0 out of 5 stars The old Super Nintendo hit is now portable!, February 25, 2002
I am so glad that they came out with SMW in portable version. I do not own this game yet but I am working on getting it. This takes me back to 1992 when SMW came out on the Super NES. I used to play SMW like crazy more than any other game. I know they came out with a portable SMB,SMB 2, but left out SMB 3, but I like SMW the best of all Mario games. I'm just used to playing this game. It had a lot of special levels and extra ones. I even remember the times I invited my friends over to a party and we played this game all night long on the Super NES! If you love Super Mario World on the Super NES, buy this game on gameboy advance. It is really fun, the difference is it is portable!

Uncle Buck [VHS]
Uncle Buck [VHS]
VHS
Offered by welovemovies2
Price: $8.95
97 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but not all there, February 22, 2002
This review is from: Uncle Buck [VHS] (VHS Tape)
A John Hughes film about an uncle who is hired to babysit his brother's kids. But things go wrong when his 15 year old niece hates him and his mean girlfriend wants him to work for her. Uncle Buck is a childish man who wants to remain a boy forever. Set back and watch as the big comedian knocks your socks off in this comedy. This is a good film with a bunch of bad language in it. But it is still for kids. If you are into good comedy. This is the movie for you. You are guaranteed to laugh your head off!

Page: 1 | 2