Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer "reviewing my own whys" RSS Feed (Virginia)

Flying Close to the Sun: My Life and Times as a Weatherman
Flying Close to the Sun: My Life and Times as a Weatherman
by Cathy Wilkerson
Price: $17.06
80 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted more about her personal experiences, January 6, 2008
There were parts of the book that I really liked. Her writing is very good and her research regarding those times was well based. I too grew up at that time and was in the same circles to a much much lessor extent than she. There were no experiences easily available at that time to teach us how to even understand A revolution happened regarding class, women,and more particularly racism during the 60s and early 70s. That does not even include music, dance, art, the economy, etc. We were all being educated extensively, intellectually and by new experiences, and more importantly including some real effective organizing skills. We had more money and resources in a way our parents never had available when they were our age. What we did with those opportunities resulted in some significant change. I had hoped that Cathy would talk about her experiences with this revolution in a more personal way. I think she did an excellent job explaining how and why she intellectually made the decisions she made. That was good and helpful, but I still don't know much about Cathy and how she experienced this meaningful time based on her own experience as an upper middle class person whose whole understanding of the world was turned upside down by the efforts to affect power in this country. I do recommend this book, but don't expect to know Cathy Wilkerson much better than what we already knew. Her place in the weatherman organization is confirmed and understanding how decisions were made becomes very clear. That information clearly helps us understand the Weathermen and what influnced their activity.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2011 4:42 PM PDT