Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale
Profile for Sarah Wu > Reviews

Browse

Sarah Wu's Profile

Customer Reviews: 28

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sarah Wu RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Fresh 20: 20-Ingredient Meal Plans for Health and Happiness 5 Nights a Week
The Fresh 20: 20-Ingredient Meal Plans for Health and Happiness 5 Nights a Week
by Melissa Lanz
Price: $16.66
71 used & new from $7.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and useful all at once, April 27, 2013
This book is a revelation! I've been a subscriber to the Fresh 20 meal-planning service since July 2012. It has changed my life. I had made halfhearted attempts at meal planning on my own before, but usually all that meant was I wrote down a meal to cook each day on a calendar. But each meal was independent of one another and I didn't know how to control for portion. So I did a lot of food preparation every night and sometimes I had leftovers and other times I didn't have enough to satisfy the whole family. The Fresh 20 meal service organized my efforts around amazing food. I felt more confident in the kitchen; I was able to follow their instructions so that weekend food shopping was less scattered; and I saved time by doing food prep once so it was not repeated on subsequent nights. Bonus: my kitchen/cooking skills improved and my husband and son loved the food.

I knew that I had to get The Fresh 20 cookbook. I was a little worried that as a subscriber to their gluten-free meal plan the cookbook might not fit my needs (The Fresh 20 meal plan offers several tracks for special diets). I needn't have worried. Every recipe that fits into a special diet category is coded with 'GF' or 'V'. There's no guesswork. For those reading this on special diets, even the recipes that aren't gluten free can be easily modified.

I loved picking up the cookbook -- it's approachable. I just like how it feels heavy with a smooth soft cover. I'm going to get a lot of mileage out of it. There's no hunting around for elaborate ingredients off of super long ingredient lists. With daily menus building off of each other, I can continue avoiding extensive daily food prep that I've gotten used to through the meal-planning service. And the portions will be just right for us: enough for dinner plus leftovers for lunch.

Although this is a practical cookbook that will save you money, it feels rich with tons of yummy color photographs. I think Melissa, or better her photographer husband, took a photo of every single recipe. The photos are jaw-dropping. I'm hungry -- I just want to start cooking out of the cookbook immediately. Whereas I might be inspired to cook one dish out of other cookbooks I have, I see myself going through the book seasonally as it is written and cooking week-by-week.

I feel like Melissa wrote this cookbook just for me, but I imagine myself gifting it to friends who express an interest in meal-planning and cooking more with real food. I've already been recommending the meal-planning service and now I'll tell them they might need to start with the book! Thank you Melissa!

Munchkin Mozart Magic Cube
Munchkin Mozart Magic Cube
15 used & new from $46.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Flashing lights are too much! I'm going to have a seizure!, November 24, 2009
I absolutely hate this cube.

1) The flashing lights are insane. When you push one of the large musical buttons, the light flashes in time with the music. Cute for about one second. Then the music's tempo picks up and you are staring at a flashing light. I seriously feel like I'm going to go cross-eyed and have a seizure. Also I don't think that my 14 month old son gets any benefit from sitting and looking at a flashing light.

2) The music is staccato, tinny, high-pitched and metallic. I can handle maximum one minute of it before wanting to throw it across the room.

3) The cube plays one song. You can push the buttons to add other musical instruments, but overall it's one song.

My son likes this cube, but we restrict his play because he really gets no benefit from it. He has no idea which musical instruments are which and so for him it's only about pushing buttons for the flashing lights.

Don't buy it! Buy the Busy Basics Ball Train, which has great music and no lights. I recommend that one instead of this product.
Busy Basics Busy Ball Choo-Choo
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2009 10:00 AM PST

Chicco Music 'N Play Table
Chicco Music 'N Play Table

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sturdy if kid is pulling up, August 13, 2009
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Chicco Music 'N Play Table (Toy)
My son is a late crawler and sure to be a late walker. As soon as I opened the package and set it up, he tried to pull up on it and it fell on him. It is not sturdy at all. He can only play on it supervised with me right there holding the toy so it doesn't tip over on him. I tried to push it up against a wall so he could try to pull up on it in a safe manner without my hands holding the toy down. That sort-of worked, but he could easily pull the toy forward away from the wall. It ended up falling on him again when I stepped out for a sec to put the wash in the dryer. Luckily he didn't cry, but he was startled.

The toys on top are great and fun for him. Too bad that I just couldn't leave his side while he played with the table. Ultimately I decided after a couple hours it had to go back. The top is removable and I could have just let him play with that on the floor, but I really wanted a "table" like the description said. I'll have to look into something else.

If your kid is a great walker and doesn't need to lean on anything for support, then I bet purchasing this product would be a better idea. In my situation I need something that he can practice pulling up on. This is not that product.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2012 5:07 PM PST

Razbaby RaZberry Teether
Razbaby RaZberry Teether
Price: $0.05 - $38.24

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good for very young teethers who use pacifiers normally, December 31, 2008
Be warned if you are buying this for an early teething baby. I bought this in advance for my little one, thinking that it would be a couple months until he needed it. Whoops, he started teething just this past week at 3 1/2 months. I got this out and he doesn't know what to make of it. It's too large for his mouth. He is used to a pacifier and tries to suck on the RaZberry. Then he spits it out or it falls out. Although he is able to grasp & hold a rattle and throw it around, he doesn't have the manual dexterity necessary to help hold the RaZberry teether in his mouth for it to work. We try to hold it up for him, but his little tongue pushes it out. Right now what is working are plain old teething rings directly from the freezer. We help him hold on to those and he'll chomp on them for some time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2009 11:59 AM PDT

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for the very early pregnant, March 3, 2008
I'm late in the first trimester and this product is not working for me at all. I can't button my pants so they keep falling down off my hips. But the bella band falls down too! Maybe it will be better suited for later weeks in the pregnancy.

What you also need in this stage is longer, tunic-like tops, which cover up both the bella band and your undone pants.

For this stage, better buys are the size 12/13/14 pants I bought at an upscale thrift shop. The pants fit around my waist and there's no worry of someone seeing my undone pants.

Hiding a pregnancy is really challenging and the bella band is just another layer to worry about.

Cities of the Plain (McCarthy, Cormac, Border Trilogy, Volume 3/Cassette/Abridged)
by Cormac McCarthy
31 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst books ever..., October 3, 2004
Did I read a different book than the other reviewers? 'Cities of the Plain' was absolutely terrible. I can't believe I managed to make it through the whole thing. I listened to it on cassette so I guess it must have been Brad Pitt's voice that kept me going...because it sure wasn't the writing. It was overly descriptive of background stuff that wasn't essential to the plot and that I didn't care about. The plot was flat and predictable. Don't waste your time or money!

All Over But the Shoutin'
All Over But the Shoutin'
by Rick Bragg
18 used & new from $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars You need the Southern drawl..., September 19, 2003
Since I "heard" this book instead of "read" it, I think I'm a little biased. Author Rick Bragg narrates the audio book himself & his Southern drawl makes the work lyrical & poetic. Because of this personalization, he creates a real world for the listener. The emotions are palpable.
His mother is a model parent although I did wonder how she selected Bragg's father because he turned out to be such a poor choice. The story is a lively but gritty tribute to his mother. It is obvious that his love for her is strong. In telling her story, he also tells his own story between the lines.
I enjoyed this audio book so much that I listened to it over two weeks, trying to drag out the story as long as possible. I got used to hearing Bragg's voice on my commute home & I found his accent comfortable & endearing. You don't want to miss this one! (the audio book is also at the library)

Me Talk Pretty One Day
Me Talk Pretty One Day
by David Sedaris
44 used & new from $0.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious...you don't want it to end!, September 19, 2003
Listening to David Sedaris's voice narrating 'Me Talk Pretty One Day' is a danger if you are behind the wheel! In his voice you can hear the tough (yet funny) times at school & the Speech Pathologist, with his dad and the Music Teacher. Sometimes it's almost too much to listen to!
Sedaris's voice is very similar to his sister Amy Sedaris who was Jerry Blank in the cult show 'Strangers with Candy.' They share the same brand of humor: dry, cynical, witty.
This is one you certainly don't want to miss and I would suggest the audio version for more personalization (and laughs).

How to Be Alone: Essays
How to Be Alone: Essays
by Jonathan Franzen
6 used & new from $2.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Get over the Oprah debacle & try this!, September 19, 2003
As an Oprah fan I steered clear of this book for no good reason. I haven't read 'The Corrections' but I really enjoyed 'How to Be Alone' in the audio cassette format. The author read a few of his selections, two at the beginning & the very last essay on the sixth and last cassette.
After listening to this book, I feel like I have a more complete understanding of Franzen and his view of the world. I respect his negative opinion of many of the fixtures of pop culture, like the TV, but I don't find him to be as offensive as some of the other reviewers do. I find that a lot of his opinions tend to be well reasoned and many of them are thoughts that I have had myself but that I never verbalized. Occasionally, his wit & humor come through & I laughed out loud.
The audio book kept my attention & was thought provoking. I particularily enjoy hearing the author's voice. I find it lends a certain personal aspect to the essays. As with some non-fiction works, the audio book format is the most compeling, in my personal opinion. If you can't afford it, you can check it out at the library.

Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America
Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America
by Barbara Ehrenreich
1380 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Not 'marxist' at all..., June 10, 2003
Some reviewers need to calm down. This book is not marxist or communist or whatever. It's a quick read that can be funny at times & sad at others. Take it at face value & don't read too much into it. It's not 'left-wing' or trying to overthrow the government...it's a book about work.
I really enjoyed reading about the author's different jobs around the country. I can totally relate to working retail and I laughed at her humor. I also felt for many of her coworkers and their situations. The book really makes you think about what it's like to be poor & Ehrenreich backs up her statistics with hard facts & data.
Those who call the book marxist have completely misinterpreted it. Why does the right have to come out with guns ablaze when they disagree? There's no need for that.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3