Profile for J. Turner > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 207

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Turner RSS Feed (Minnesota United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Fluke Y8846D 18 Piece 19" Dual Rack Mount Kit for 8845A/8846A 6.5 Digit Precision Multimeters
Price: $120.13
6 used & new from $117.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well for fluke 5.5 and 6.5 digit meters., July 28, 2014
I purchased this rack mount kit to rack my Fluke 8846A 6.5 digit DMM and a Fluke 8808A 5.5 digit multimeter, side by side.

This kit is basically a shelf, with holes drilled into the sides to match up with the holes in the sides of the multimeter. The meters fit onto the shelf, are screwed in on each side of the shelf, and have a filler plate which is pushed between the two meters.

Before I purchased this kit, I had a lot of questions and even asked a few equipment vendors whether or not I could rack mount an Agilent or Tektronix DMM (or power supply) next to the Fluke DMM. The answer is not really. The back edge of the shelf it bent up at a 90 degree angle which fits up to the back of the DMM. My Tektronix power supply is too deep to fit and the shelf. moreover, the screw holes on the sides of the instrument do not match up with the holes in the side of the shelf.

It works very well for the Fluke meters.

Cisco ASA Configuration (Networking Professional's Library)
Cisco ASA Configuration (Networking Professional's Library)
Price: $31.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Good explanative text on the ASA 5505, June 5, 2013
I had an older ASA 5505 I needed to set up. Setting up the ASA 5505 is a pain, as the GUI in the older versions was just plain awful. With this book I was able to setup the ASA 5505 with a DSL modem in transparent bridge mode, and properly configure it. Some of the information is applicable to older versions of the software and not the newer, but it is still useful.

HP 1810-24G v2 Gigabit SFP Rack-Mountable Switch (J9803A)
HP 1810-24G v2 Gigabit SFP Rack-Mountable Switch (J9803A)
Offered by Beccela's Etc
Price: $198.00
42 used & new from $197.99

5.0 out of 5 stars whisper quiet, June 5, 2013
I purchased this switch because I wanted a smart managed switch in my rack that was quiet. This is a fanless/passively cooled switch that is rack mountable. I have it linked to a cisco c2960 over spf/fiber. Works wonderfully. Recommended.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2014 6:13 PM PST

Synology RackStation 4-Bay (Diskless) 1U NAS Rackmount Network Attached Storage RS812 (Silver/Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Set it up and forget about it..., June 5, 2013
I purchased this NAS device a few months back and it is working great. The device is whisper quiet and consumes 35Watts of power running flat out. I'm using it as a subversion server, DHCP server and DNS server (in addition to storing files). File transfer speeds are advertised to be around ~107 Mbps/sec reading, but I've never gotten even close to that.

Accessing files over AFP is painfully slow; use smb for macs.

Time machine is supported out of the box. Setup is painless.

HP PROCURVE GIGABIT-SX-LC MINI-GBIC
HP PROCURVE GIGABIT-SX-LC MINI-GBIC
Offered by BUYCOM
Price: $216.21

2.0 out of 5 stars Not HP, June 1, 2013
The picture in the listing shows a genuine HP mini-gbic, complete with HP logo. This is NOT a genuine HP mini-gbic. The picture is for another device entirely.

It shows up as unsupported in my HP1810-24G switch. Beware.

That being said, it appears to be working.

uni-ball KuruToga Mechanical Pencil Starter Set (1751934)
uni-ball KuruToga Mechanical Pencil Starter Set (1751934)
Price: $5.00
37 used & new from $3.15

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke after 2 days, December 12, 2012
I'm pursuing a second degree, so I'm taking notes all day long. However, this pencil didn't last more than two days before it jammed and died. Unlike my other mechanical pencils that can be rescued with a little bit of persistence, the complex mechanism and plastic press fittings won't allow me to fix it.

I do not recommend. I just threw mine away.

Braun Series 7- 790cc Pulsonic Shaver System, Silver
Braun Series 7- 790cc Pulsonic Shaver System, Silver
Price: $209.99
67 used & new from $199.59

1.0 out of 5 stars lock broke within 60 days, February 26, 2012
My Pulsonic shaver's trimmer broke so it would no longer retract. I taped it down and continued to use it so when I found a series 7 shaver system on sale after Christmas, I snapped it up. No matter how I tried, it left stubble at the base of my neck. The locking button broke off within the first sixty days.

Luckily, Braun has a 60-day satisfaction guarantee so I'll get a complete refund (in 8 weeks). I'm done with Braun products. In the last several shavers I've owned, the base station stopped working, the trimmer broke, and now the locking mechanism broke.

Quite honestly, the newer models simply don't shave as well as the older ones. I'm glad to be rid of it.

Garmin eTrex 30 Worldwide Handheld GPS Navigator
Garmin eTrex 30 Worldwide Handheld GPS Navigator
Offered by Sandy and Son
Price: Click here to see our price
152 used & new from $209.73

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work in cold weather, buggy, screen sctraches easliy, February 26, 2012
Most of the reviews here are written by people who have just received the etrex, and they are still excited about the purchase. I totally understand that. My review is a long term review. Take heed.

I purchased the eTrex 30 when it came out for a hunting trip. I was hunting in dense woods in an area I wasn't familiar with.

I purchased and loaded the auto maps. There are no voice prompts, only beeps, but you can use it as an auto GPS. It worked reasonably well for that. Downloaded various way points from BaseCamp and it worked reasonably well.

I switched over to the topo maps for hunting and started walking my spot. The compass kept getting confused, and I had to keep recalibrating it. I was essentially worthless. The GPS worked, but when I tried to switch back to the auto mode, the eTrex crashed and would no longer route on the automotive maps. The map would be visible, but it would draw a straight line (not following the roads) to the destination. The firmware if very buggy, and I had to reset the device many times.

Secondly, the screen overlay is plastic, not glass. I now have a large scratch due to it rubbing against something in my backpack.

Third, this GPS will NOT work in very cold weather. I took the GPS across country to North Dakota and when I started to use it, the screen would blink and it would not work in 18F. Once I was inside and it had 30 minutes to warm up, it started functioning again.

If you are looking for a small GPS for warm weather geocaching then this unit is great. If you are looking rugged for colder temps, keep searching.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 9, 2012 4:38 AM PDT

L'Occitane Travel Shaving Brush
L'Occitane Travel Shaving Brush

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible brush, May 7, 2011
I got this on clearance for half price about a year ago. I love how it collapses down and it perfect for travel.

However, the synthetic brush is stiff like a paint brush. It is difficult to get the bristles to separate in order to make a lather. If you press hard, the bristles bend and it is like trying to make lather with a floppy paint brush.

I thought that if I kept using it, it would break down and soften up. It never did.

I'd recommend a cheap boar brush and a pill bottle that is big enough or zip lock bag for travel.

BlackBerry Development Fundamentals
BlackBerry Development Fundamentals
Price: $17.27

1.0 out of 5 stars Great for managers; very little for developers, December 17, 2010
I had high hopes for this book. Unfortunately, there the target audience seems to be at the managerial level. This book contains very little technical information that is directly applicable to coding up a real application.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20