Profile for Bob Ashley > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 156

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bob Ashley RSS Feed (texas)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Night Stalker & Other Classic Thrillers
Night Stalker & Other Classic Thrillers
8 used & new from $44.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Eerie flashbacks!, May 10, 2002
If you,like me,loved those Dan Curtis terror tv classics since his original Dark Shadows soap back in the 60s will probably love
this collection by Bob Cobert.He composed all the spooky music in those macabre shows.This is great stuff!You know who you are.........

Receive the Flame
Receive the Flame
Price: $11.41
15 used & new from $3.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Boyd brings the noise!, May 3, 2002
This review is from: Receive the Flame (Audio CD)
It took me awhile to get my hands on this 2000 NON release.Why?I dunno,forgot about it.Strange,since I DO enjoy Boyd's work.But I'd heard horrid things about this from fans of NON's God and Beast CD.God and Beast took a different road from the traditional NON sound.It was more structured and produced,Boyd chanting,percussion keeping a semblance of a song in a traditional sense.Doug(Death in june)and Rose(Sorrow,Spell)contribute.I LOVE that album,but Receive the Flame is like a return to pure noise.Though not as brutal as early work,more care,it seems,is applied to the sculpting and recording process.This is noise,but very interesting and soothing.SOLITUDE is haunting and pretty.

Singles
Singles
Offered by SourceMedia
Price: $10.62
95 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars New to the Clash?, May 1, 2002
This review is from: Singles (Audio CD)
I find this to be a fine Clash collection!It's what it's titled:The singles,and it shows you a taste of what the band offered.I enjoy listening to it.A lot.

Dogs Blood Rising
Dogs Blood Rising
19 used & new from $15.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely dark and scary!, April 30, 2002
This review is from: Dogs Blood Rising (Audio CD)
I first heard this album one halloween night(1986?) in my darkened bedroom on an independant Houston radio station.I was near sleep,but I sprang to attention when those monstrous sounds came out of my speakers!Very strange stuff!monk chants,noise loops,synth gurgles,machine feedback,whatever else.Very interesting and listenable.

Chumbawamba- Tubthumper
Chumbawamba- Tubthumper
Price: $3.99
673 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Anarchy sounds good!, April 24, 2002
This review is from: Chumbawamba- Tubthumper (Audio CD)
Being a long-time punk rocker I know Chumbawamba were around for years,playing to us punks and releasing their own records on their dime.They were like a modern Crass,in fact,many years later, an mtv-vjay asked them if they WERE Crass.Anyway,back in 1997,I was startled to see Chumbawamba on mtv!As far as I knew,the band were still do-it-yourself Punks.What was up?I called my punker friend,and Chumbawamba fan,Chris and told him.He didn't elieve me atfirst,but soon the word was out.The Chums signed to a major!And not just any major-EMI!Punk's long time foe!Well,the video for TUBTHUMPING played on MTV ad nauseam,and,hey it's a cool,catchy song!Chris liked it too,so we both bought the CD.It was good!Still potent lyrically and the music was cool too!Very Spice Girls-ish(not a bad thing).Unfortunately,since America quickly forgets its trendy pop acts,as tubthumping faded so did the Chums.This album is very good.Live,they also kicked ...

Exorcist II - The Heretic [VHS]
Exorcist II - The Heretic [VHS]
VHS
Offered by Captain Ziggy
Price: $14.95
28 used & new from $1.27

4.0 out of 5 stars A better film than I expected!, April 21, 2002
I'm a huge fan of the original film,and this 1977 sequel was not acceptable to fans.I'd long heard that this movie was worse than awful,so I'd avoided it like the plague.Goes to show you that you should decide stuff for yourself,because I LIKE this movie!If you're gonna make a sequel,make a sequel,don't rehash the first movie!This movie continues the story of Regan's condition.Is she cured?Is Satan real?Can a heretical priest help her?Interesting ideas and creepy images abound.C'mon,you didn't really want a mere rehash of the first film,did ya?I'm glad it's not.......

Famous Monsters
Famous Monsters
Price: $11.41
48 used & new from $3.89

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Misfits album!, March 23, 2002
This review is from: Famous Monsters (Audio CD)
I'm somebody who caught on to the Misfits at the tail-end of their classic line-up:1982?Yes,it was because of Metallica sporting 'fits shirts,doing the covers,and name-dropping their name in magazines constantly.I bought "Legacy of Brutality"and I was off!I got whatever Misfits record I could.Then,Samhain started up-Glen with a darker Misfits-type thing-and were awesome!Then Danzig solo...Cool.Ok,Jerry and Doyle returned with a ressurrected Misfits.I,at first,took a "Glen was the band.Who are they trying to fool?"mind-set.I heard "American psycho"and didn't like it.Well,time goes by,and I hear this.Fantastic,I thought!It has everything I like about the Misfits.I initially felt the polished production hurt this,since the classic recordings had,except "Walk among us",bad production quality-feedback squeels and sloppy parts-but,should the current band wear that badge of honor?I wouldn't!This has ace production,great songs and musicianship.Open your mind.You might like this band!

Goblin, Volume II 1975-1980: Hits, Rare Tracks & Outtakes From Profondo Rossa, Suspiria, Contamination & Others
Price: $8.99
48 used & new from $2.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Italian soundtrack masters!, March 12, 2002
Goblin were an italian progressive rock band who became best known for their scoring of numerous horror films,most famously for Dario Argento's(some say)best work.A casual listen might lead one to believe they were listening to an old Genesis album,but these songs worked behind scary scenes in movies.And very well,too!This volume has 6 great cuts from Profondo Rosso(DEEP RED),3 from Suspiria,1 from Squandra Antigangsters,2 from Contamination,and 4 from their rock albums(that were plundered for use in films as well).This is a great CD!

Ten New Songs
Ten New Songs
Price: $7.99
89 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back,Mr Cohen!, March 10, 2002
This review is from: Ten New Songs (Audio CD)
I wasn't sure I'd ever hear a new Leonard Cohen song since he's been 9 years absent from the record stores.Well,here's a new album!Is it good?Heck yeah!Leonard sounds like he never left,dripping with the poetic regret we love!That voice!A massive baritone conveying tales of loneliness,broken romance,addiction,and silent prayers for grace.Lyrically,this is one heavy album.The music is the keyboard programming and guitar we know from the last couple releases.Very much an album for adults.

It's a Wonderful Life
It's a Wonderful Life
Price: $14.87
54 used & new from $2.96

5.0 out of 5 stars musical bliss in this age of manufactured bands!, March 10, 2002
This review is from: It's a Wonderful Life (Audio CD)
Quite a while back I saw this band on Craig Kilbourn's show and thought,hmmm,what an interesting band!They played the title song of this CD and sounded like some fractured dream:orchestra bells,synthesizers of weird looking origin,drums and guitars backing up vocals that seemed cut from a Neil Young/J Mascis cloth.Well,this CD DOES have weird/experimental songs,but there's also pretty guitar/piano moments.It's all brilliant!Some how,Capitol put this out.Hope is here for major labels to care about ART and SINCERE emotion!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16