Profile for Janice > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 23

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Janice RSS Feed (Philadelphia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Orei DA21X Premium Optical SPDIF/Coaxial Digital to RCA L/R Analog Audio Converter with 3.5mm Jack Support Headphone/Speaker Outputs
Offered by Bombay Electronics
Price: $21.15
8 used & new from $17.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Did the Trick, February 11, 2015
The Samsung HDTV that I bought for my husband's den had inferior built-in speakers and no analog jack to direct the sound to external speakers, only an optical out jack. So I purchased this device and a Toslink cable to connect to the TV then hooked it up through its headphone jack to a set of small PC speakers with a subwoofer. Problem solved. It was necessary to set the TV's sound output to PCM, so if yours doesn't have that option it won't work. The TV remote's volume and mute controls don't work when it's set to use the optical out jack, but that's an issue with the Samsung design, not with the Orei unit.

PS2 - Controller - Wireless - Shock-Wave - 2.4GHZ - Black
PS2 - Controller - Wireless - Shock-Wave - 2.4GHZ - Black
Offered by NationWideDistributor
Price: $15.50
5 used & new from $15.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, January 23, 2015
I needed a replacement for a Logitech cordless Playstation 2 controller that's no longer reliable. But those controllers have become very expensive to buy new, and none of the brands currently being manufactured looked promising, judging by the reviews. This brand did not have any reviews, but I was reasonably happy with a KMD Gamecube controller that I had bought previously, so I decided to give their PS2 model a try.

I was pleasantly surprised at how good it is. It's not quite as perfectly responsive as the Logitech, but it's close. It has a better feel to it than the officially licensed Katana PS2 controller I tried a few years ago, which had an unevenly set d-pad and uncomfortable ridges on the bottom. The cross-shaped d-pad on the new KMD model will appeal to those who don't like the rounded "floaty" one from Logitech. The lower shoulder buttons on the KMD are more like triggers, which I don't prefer, but it's not a big issue. There's no button to turn the vibration on or off without having to go into the game settings to do so, and that I do consider a significant oversight, but it's more than made up for by a feature I've never seen on any other PS2 controller: in digital mode, the left analog stick works as a duplicate of the d-pad. This means that you can use the stick when playing old PS1 games that were designed before the release of original Sony DualShock controller, which normally do not recognize analog input.

The wireless performance of the KMD seemed perfectly adequate, even when using a system behind a glass door in a closed cabinet. The earliest versions of Logitech's receiver fit the PSOne, but did not fit the PS2 slim unless you elevated the console a little or set it at the edge of whatever surface you had it on. Later Logitech receivers fit the PS2 slim properly but were no longer fully compatible with the PSOne because they blocked its memory card slot. The KMD receiver is a bit long, but it fits both of these models without any problem.

I haven't tried the turbo function on the KMD, so I can't comment on that. And I only used it for a day, so I can't testify as to its longevity. But from what I can tell so far, it's a definite keeper and a good value for the money.

Neewer USB 2.0 2 Port Sharing Switch Hub for Printer Scanner
Neewer USB 2.0 2 Port Sharing Switch Hub for Printer Scanner
Offered by Global_omo
Price: $9.75
10 used & new from $4.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Perfectly, July 24, 2013
This device works perfectly. I didn't bother installing the included software. Windows 7 immediately recognized it as a USB input device. Windows XP didn't comment on it, but it worked nonetheless. I just have to press the button corresponding which computer I want to print from (it always defaults to "#2" when it powers on). Highly recommended if you're looking for a simple solution for using one printer with two PC's without having to set up networking. Just remember to measure carefully and order a couple of USB cables of the full length needed to reach from each of your computers to wherever you decide to put the switch.

Dual Turbo Wireless Remote System for Super Nintendo
Dual Turbo Wireless Remote System for Super Nintendo
Offered by comiccon2010
Price: $150.00
5 used & new from $32.51

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost great, March 28, 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
The Acclaim Dual Turbo wireless controllers were officially licensed by Nintendo back in the day, and they look very much like an original SNES controller. The cross-shaped d-pad is stiffer, and the X and Y buttons are convex rather than concave, but the overall design is pleasantly familiar. The buttons are very responsive, and the controllers would be a joy to use except for one serious flaw. They use an infrared signal which is so weak that you have to point them dead directly at the receiver. If you angle them even slightly away, the signal loses integrity, so if you are holding a button down steadily, your game will react as if you were continually letting go of it then pressing it again. This can be fatal in a game like Super Mario World, where you if you keep the down button pressed in order to make Mario duck, his head will suddenly pop up unexpectedly and he'll get killed. I've seen this problem with four different Acclaim controllers, two of which were in like new condition, so it's not something that only develops after heavy use. The Acclaim receiver is designed to plug directly into both controller ports on the front of the SNES, and it says right on it not to use any adapters with it, so you can't attach extension cables in order to move it to a position where it might get better reception; you would have to relocate the whole system.

If this signal issue is a big problem with your particular setup, then I recommend trying Docs wireless SNES controllers instead, if you can find them. They are not as nice to hold as the Acclaim controllers, since they are bigger and have uncomfortable ridges on the bottom. Plus the buttons click annoyingly and tire your thumbs out more. But even though they also use infrared technology, the signal strength is outstanding. I have no problems with it even when the footboard of my bed is blocking the line of sight to the receiver. I should note that the receiver that came with my Docs wireless set is a rectangular unit that's very similar to the one that comes with the Acclaim Dual Turbo. Some Docs sets come with a different type of receiver that has cords attached. I've never tried that one so I don't know if it's as good. But at least the cords would allow some leeway for where you place the receiver. Plus you could use that type with the later, smaller SNES systems, whereas the ones that have to be plugged into both ports might only fit the older, larger version SNES like I have.

In sum, I have yet to find a wireless SNES controller that I consider completely satisfactory, but both the Acclaim Dual Turbo and the Docs wireless are worth a try. Unless your budget is very tight I'd recommend either one over the new Retrobit SuperRetro controllers, which in my tests had great reception but little else to recommend them (see my review of those for more details).

SuperRetro Wireless Controller Dual Pack [RETROBIT]
SuperRetro Wireless Controller Dual Pack [RETROBIT]
Offered by G Dreamer
Price: $29.98
3 used & new from $29.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheaply made and unreliable, March 17, 2013
These controllers are certainly affordable, but that's because they are cheaply made and unreliable. One of the two in my set was very responsive, but with the other one, two of the face buttons plus the down button on the d-pad had to be pressed hard in order to register. I took it apart and quickly found the cause of the problem with the d-pad: a string of glue across the contact for the down button. The LED was attached to the circuit board with a glob of hot glue, and there were strings of the stuff stuck in various places. The small boards for the shoulder buttons were connected to the main circuit board with what looked like two-wire twist ties. The rubber pads under the buttons are very thin, so they probably won't last long. I also found that the screws strip pretty easily, as do the posts they screw into. There was a lot of plastic debris inside from these crumbly posts, which could easily work its way under the button pads and cause problems. Anyway, cleaning things up fixed the d-pad but not the other two buttons. So I take one star off for poor quality contruction.

The other star comes off for compatibility issues. These controllers work well with some games, such as Super Mario World, but they simply will not function properly with others. One simple Tetris-style puzzle game I have became erratic with one connected. Instead of waiting for the player to choose between starting the game or going into the options at the beginning like it should, it would jump directly into the game. Usually the controller would suddenly lose sync with the receiver at that point, but if it did work for a while, it would lose sync if I tried to pause the game. This is a cartridge I bought brand new just a few months back, so there's nothing wrong with it, and it works perfectly with a standard controller and two other brands of wireless controller, just not with the SuperRetro.

The wireless receiver is fairly difficult to get in and out of the SNES controller port, and the red LEDs are so bright that I had to put stickers over them to keep them from bothering my eyes. On the plus side, the radio frequency wireless connection is great, with no lag that I could notice. I was even able to place an obstacle in front of the receiver to keep my cat off the game system shelf with no effect on the reception. But all in all, the best I can say about the SuperRetro is try it at your own risk. You may be lucky, or you may not. At least the investment is inexpensive.

KMD Komodo Shockwave Wireless Black Controller
KMD Komodo Shockwave Wireless Black Controller

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good, January 19, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I've always been wary of third-party controllers, but I wanted a black wireless Gamecube controller so I gave this a try. It works very well so far on both my Gamecube and my Wii. The gray thumbstick was a little sticky when being pushed upwards at first, but I just kept pushing it and after a minute it worked fine. Would definitely recommend.

Nintendo DSi XL Screen Protective Filter
Nintendo DSi XL Screen Protective Filter

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth the Trouble, December 28, 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I found it extremely difficult to remove the dust from my brand new DSi XL screens with cloths and ended up using a mini vacuum hose attachment for electronics to get them as clean as possible. But my attempt to apply these screen protectors still failed miserably. The one for the top screen went on OK, with just a few small air bubbles that were easy to smooth out. But the one for the bottom screen ended up with large bubbled areas that would not go away. Furthermore, I could not remove it using sticky tape like you're supposed to, it was on there so tight. I had to use my fingernail, which of course resulted in the film getting ruined with fingerprints. All in all a waste of time and money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2012 9:31 AM PST

FurReal Friends Lulu My Cuddlin Kitty Cat
FurReal Friends Lulu My Cuddlin Kitty Cat
5 used & new from $99.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Kitty for Seniors, November 17, 2011
Pleasant and relaxing to fondle. I got it for my elderly mother after the death of her real cat, since she's not up to taking care of a new pet. She's somewhat overawed by it and afraid of breaking the switch, but she loves petting and talking to it if I turn it on for her, and it's very pretty just to look at. I bought mine direct from Amazon and it arrived with dead batteries, so if you get one that doesn't seem to work after you spend 15 minutes extricating it from its packaging, try changing them.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Sour, October 16, 2011
I found the tablets to be so sour that I couldn't take them. I can't recommend them for anyone with high acid levels, gastritis, GERD etc. because they will likely irritate your digestive tract like they did mine. But if you're someone who enjoys very sour candies you'll probably love these.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2014 8:28 PM PDT

100% Raw Manuka Honey Active 16+ 17.6 oz Jar
100% Raw Manuka Honey Active 16+ 17.6 oz Jar
Offered by VitaLife Store
Price: $35.75
18 used & new from $35.65

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Necessarily Good for Stomachs, October 15, 2011
Active manuka honey is often recommended as an aid for healing stomach ulcers and related problems. I have had a couple of two-month bouts of excessive acid combined with gastritis (stomach lining inflammation) and tried it both times. Both times I had to give up on it because all it seemed to do was increase the burning sensation in my esophagus and stomach, so I really can't recommend it for people with digestive problems. Plus I personally find it far too sweet, although my husband doesn't. On the other hand, I do keep a jar of this particular brand around because we have both found it soothing when we have sore throats due to colds.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2012 11:18 AM PST