Profile for L. Michaelis > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

L. Michaelis RSS Feed

Orchid Growing for Wimps: Techniques for the "Wish I Could Do That" Gardener
Orchid Growing for Wimps: Techniques for the "Wish I Could Do That" Gardener
by Ellen Zachos
90 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Orchid Growing for Wimps, November 22, 2008
This book really helped me grow orchids more successfully. The author is very organized and covers all aspects of growing these beautiful plants. His tips made my money go further because I realized that some orchids require very specific conditions that I couldn't replicate, so if I bought them I was doomed to failure. By following his suggestions anyone can successfully grow orchids and coax them into flowering again and again.

Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide: Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes, and Pictures
by Sue Daley
112 used & new from $0.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Mason-Dixon Knotting: The Curious Knitters' Guide: Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes, and Picture, March 28, 2007
I absolutely loved this book. The stories were interesting and funny. I read some aloud to my husband. He suggested that they were the Dave Barry of knitting. The knitting patterns look very interesting although I haven't tried any yet (I have to finish several other projects). I thought this was a great book for the beginner and the seasoned knitter also. Their suggestion that you can make it as easy or as hard as you like pertains to a basic pattern that the novice could follow but the seasoned knitter could embellish on to their hearts content, which is what I can't wait to do. Also there is a variety of projects, most of which look very interesting and i hope to try.

The Color Encyclopedia of Hostas
The Color Encyclopedia of Hostas
by Diana Grenfell
31 used & new from $10.46

5.0 out of 5 stars The Color Encyclopedia of Hostas, September 30, 2005
This is a great book for Hosta lovers. I like the way it is organized by color. It also has great info on their growth habit (ie, whether they get to their ultimate size quickly or slowly) and how to site the yellows for maximum color by telling how they form the yellow pigmentation, which is how much chlorophyll they inhibit. I also like how they tell you what hostas are similar. As any hosta afficionado knows,there are many hostas that are similar, so if you can't get the one you want you can try to find a similar one. The pictures are good, but as with any hosta photos it is hard to tell size from a photo alone, so you will have to read the narrative. If there is one hosta book you need, I think this is the best.

The Million Word Crossword Dictionary
The Million Word Crossword Dictionary
by Daniel Stark
Price: $21.23
93 used & new from $5.86

5.0 out of 5 stars The Million Word Crossword Dictionary, September 30, 2005
I absolutely love this book. It has helped me to finish crosswords that I otherwise couldn't. It is the most comprehensive dictionary of it's kind that I've seen (and I own quite a few). Now I don't need them anymore. I especially like the format. Not only are words listed giving the number of letters, but if a clue is blank something, or something blank (ex., Sao---, or ---nova) this dictionary has a listing for it.

It also includes popular movies and songs, actors, and other famous people, winners of awards, ex. nobel prize winners. It is definitely the best of its kind around. It isn't perfect, but it's pretty close. I gave this to my father-in-law for a birthday gift, as he is also into crosswords and he loved it too.