Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD
Profile for Craig Matteson > Reviews

Craig Matteson's Profile

Customer Reviews: 2193
Top Reviewer Ranking: 471

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Craig Matteson RSS Feed (Saline, MI)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Thrown Under the Omnibus: A Reader
Thrown Under the Omnibus: A Reader
by P. J. O'Rourke
Price: $20.26
51 used & new from $16.09

5.0 out of 5 stars A field guide to the best writing in O'Rourke's books since 1983., November 5, 2015
I have been a fan of P J O’Rourke’s for several decades. While I admire him and enjoy his writing I do no mistake him for a partisan Conservative or someone who is working for the GOP and against the Democrats. He is willing to skewer everyone; everyone who deserves skewering. And that is, well, everyone. I have always found his writing informative, enjoyable to read, his humor always seems like it should be more predictable and repetitive than it is. He is wittier than you suppose and slips the knife in but you laugh before you understand exactly where it has been placed, maybe in you and yours.

Some have referred to this as a greatest hits album. I guess it is. But I think of it as a way to peruse his best writing from his books over the decades and see how his views have changed and what has remained more or less constant. What he had hoped for (not much) and what disappointed him (nearly everything). If O’Rourke has one flaw that makes me put down his books and give them time to rest before I pick them up again is that I find it too pat to just piss on everyone and everything. In his work that matters to me the most, he does find some hope, some positive energy and a real effort to make the benighted wake up.

While I do not claim to have read every word that the author has written (and here we only get excerpts from his books, not samples of his columns), I do have more than a few of them at home and my favorites are: “Parliament of Whores”, “Give War a Chance”, “All the Trouble in the World” , and my favorite of all is “Eat the Rich”. I also enjoyed “The CEO of the Sofa” and “On The Wealth of Nations”. Do I have to point out that it is perfectly fine if your views vary from mine?

So, why would someone who has all or most of this author’s books want to get this one, too? Is it just a form of OCD? Is it a desire to make a wealthy writer even wealthier? Simple. If you don’t buy into my earlier statement of strolling through his best writing in one shorter hike than rereading whole books, think about it another way. If, like me, you are old enough to have purchased his books when they were new and enjoyed them when they were in the news, you now likely have children (and possibly grandchildren) who are adults and have likely NOT read O’Rourke’s works.

Why didn’t they read them, because he was YOUR author and therefore utterly uncool in their youthful world. But now they are older and reconsidering their values (revaluing their values as their once beloved Nietzsche once put it). They are not going to push through the whole book or understand the references to current events. Here we have the writing the author and the editor think that best stand on its own. You can give them the gift of O’Rourke in one handy field manual!

One thing we do not get in this book, beyond the brief introduction, is the author’s views of each of the works, reminiscences about writing the book, the struggles with the editor, a recounting of the way the critics and public reacted to it at its release, or the settling of old scores. We just get the writing. And that is fine. We enjoy the author for his writing, after all. Maybe he will give us a different book wandering through the corridors of how he went through his own life. But I kind of doubt it. Confession really doesn’t seem to be his thing beyond the persona he has created as a device for his writing. I have no idea how much of what the author says about himself is real and how much is a writing device. And even if he told us what was what, would he be leveling with us? Who knows.

Let’s just enjoy his writing and insights.

Reviewed by Craig Matteson, Saline, MI

MeasuPro OX250 Instant Read Digital Pulse Oximeter with Alarm Setting, Color OLED Display and Carry Case, CE, FDA Approved
Offered by MeasuRite
Price: $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want an oximeter for home use, this one is handy, easy to use, and at a convenient low price., November 5, 2015
You know that little clip they put on your finger when you get into a hospital? That, and the meter it is connected to are an oximeter (oxygen meter). An oximeter uses light to read your pulse and the percentage of your red blood cells that are saturated with oxygen. If the number is 95% or above you are fine. If it is below 95% you need to see your doctor. Making oximeters is now a $700 million industry. China makes most of them (what else is new). You can now purchase one inexpensively for home use. You have to decide if you need one. But price is no longer a barrier.

This oximeter is small, easy to use, and seems to work quite well. For me, the hardest part was figuring out how to put in the AAA batteries. (There is a little recess on the bottom you push on with your nail file, a screw driver, or some such and the lid pops off. This info is NOT on the info sheet that I could find.) when you turn it on, the screen is clear and easy to read. You can adjust the screen to different display formats by holding the power button down until you get the one you want. You can also change the alerts to on or off in the pattern you want.

The device takes a few seconds to get your pulse and your oxygen level settled in on. Then you can see the pulse and oxygen % display just as you would in a hospital. Since everything is in the device itself it is a bit bigger and slightly heavier than the clip you get in the hospital, but not much. There is also a lanyard so you can hang it around your neck between readings if you don’t want continuous monitoring. I found that the readings can be a bit different between fingers. And the instructions warn you that nail polish could possibly affect the readings. They appeared not to for my wife. At least not enough to knock her out of the normal range. It also comes with a little nylon storage case. They also tell you to remove the batteries if you will be storing it without use for an extended period of time. That makes sense.

I am not a doctor so I cannot tell you if you need this or not or even if I need it or not. But I like the convenience of being able to check whenever I want.

Reviewed by Craig Matteson, Saline, MI
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2015 2:28 AM PST

United Cutlery UC2765 M48 Hawk Axe with Nylon Sheath
United Cutlery UC2765 M48 Hawk Axe with Nylon Sheath
Offered by Pettit Online Stores
Price: $35.58
65 used & new from $32.08

5.0 out of 5 stars A very strong and effective smaller Tomahawk., November 2, 2015
This is a very useful Tomahawk, especially for the money. The handle is nearly indestructible even if it is a bit uncomfortable to grip with force. The spike end is fearsome and powerful with the weight of the head driving it in a downstroke. The beard of the head is almost dangerous. Be careful with it because if you let it slip down in your hand you will almost certainly injure yourself. But it will tear and cut anything you pull back on it with. The edge of the head is not razor sharp, but they rarely are with chopping edges because the force of the blow is supposed to drive the chopping action. It is sharp, but not like you are going to cut tomatoes with it. The nylon sheath cover is functional; not stylish. There is a hole at the bottom of the handle where you can put a strap or strip of some kind. I have seen demonstration videos of people throwing this Tomahawk quite well. I am not one of those people.

I would imagine if you had to break glass to get into a car or chop your way into one for rescuing someone this tool would make very short work of it. If you had to breech a wooden door, the door would quickly lose.

I know nothing about fighting with such a tool as a weapon, but it would certainly be better than nothing in an emergency.

Heavy Lifting: Grow Up, Get a Job, Raise a Family, and Other Manly Advice
Heavy Lifting: Grow Up, Get a Job, Raise a Family, and Other Manly Advice
by Jim Geraghty
Price: $19.01
47 used & new from $14.85

5.0 out of 5 stars A field guide to growing up male in early 21st Century America., November 2, 2015
We live in an age where the Progressive Ideal is eternal youth and eternal adolescence. A life of partying, clubbing, dating, bedding, entitlement, but little of the traditional goals previous generations considered the ideals of adult life: work, career, marriage, family, and pleasing accomplishment. The authors of this fun book, Jim Geraghty and Cam Edwards, have had their fill of the present day and see the ideals of the pre-Baby Boom generation as something to revive – if in modern dress and terms. That is, they recognize that today is not the 1950s but that the character of Ward Cleaver in marrying June and raising Wally and the Beaver made a great deal of sense that led to happiness and fulfillment. We could do a lot worse than learning from his fictional example. Ward Cleaver was make believe in form but not in substance. He was so widely accepted for entertaining families in the 1950s because those families lived by those ideals at least in aspiration.

I am a child of the 1950s and grew up in the 1960s. I remember Ward Cleaver and identified with the Beaver, even if he seemed a bit simple to me. True, I liked my own family more. But I was supposed to. My parents were married at 19 and my father was a pilot who flew planes around and transported wounded during World War II. He worked hard all his life and so did my mother. I grew up fully expecting to leave home at 18, go to college or get a trade like my father and older brother. Eventually, I would marry and have my own family. That is the way the world “worked”. And it does work better that way. I ended up going to Michigan State for a year, going on a mission for my church for two years in Brisbane, Australia, came home, met my wife and we married while I prepared to audition for music school at the University of Michigan. We attended there from 1978 through 1984 and we had three of our six children while I was a student there. Sure, we have done the traditional family thing, but not in the traditional way. We have been entrepreneurs most of our lives and worked together and for ourselves rather than in big companies.

Our own children are not the clichéd living in basement types either. They have gone out in the world and built careers and formed companies and gotten married and had kids of their own. But I know not everyone does this. And this book is a handbook for those people. The book has 23 chapters in five parts. The first discusses the need to leave home. Yes, it is cozy and comforting to let Mom and Dad provide your roof, food, and health insurance, but it is bad for you.

The First Part is about Breaking Away. The first chapter introduces the Ward Cleaver trope of the book, chapter two debunks the idea that college prepares you for life and why gathering all that life stunting debt and not much education is a horrible idea (not that college is completely useless), chapter three is about getting your own place and why that is important to having your own life, chapter four is about the problems of having and being a roommate. (Personally, roommates almost always end badly for all parties.) Chapter 5 is on video games and the grown man – the authors are more modern and tolerant of them than I.

Each chapter begins with some introductory material and then each other offers their own humorous insights – and the insights are actually useful – and the chapter concludes with a little box with a witticism about Ward Cleaver’s approach to the subject.

Part Two is all about becoming and adult male. They have chapters on drinking (again, more tolerant than I on the subject), how you should dress, getting a job, why getting fired is not grounds for jumping off a bridge, and how to find a work life that you can actually enjoy.

Part Three is the key to your happiness. Not necessarily how these guys tell you to do it, but the main goals are correct. Begin by actually asking girls out on dates. What is involved in getting married. How to be a good husband (and, yes, you will have to learn the mantra “Happy Wife – Happy Life”). Getting your own home! And why the secret to a long and happy marriage is not getting divorced.

Part Four is about becoming a father and how to do it right. You won’t really (just ask your kids), but if you try your hardest you will clearly do better than if you are indifferent or neglectful. And, as a man who has been a father since 1978 I can assure you that the rewards of caring about your kids and their mother are immeasurable and worth more than all other aspects of life lumped together and multiplied by some stupidly large factor.

Part Five is about raising the kids (more than one) you and your wife have had and why you do need to do it together and stay together to get it right. All the fictions about being great parents as divorced parents are just as silly as the stupid fiction that you can bed a new girl each week as they do in every sitcom and live a happy, sane, and prosperous life. You can’t. Oh, you can lie to yourself about it. But it is nevertheless a lie. That is me talking, not so much the authors. The authors just say that marriage and parenting are forever. I will point out that once you have kids you can live separately and even marry again, but you can never get divorced in the sense of separating your lives completely because the kids keep your lives tied to each other.

Anyway, this is a useful and humorous and, as I said, insightful book. Enjoy.

Reviewed by Craig Matteson, Saline, MI
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2015 12:12 PM PST

Cheese Grater, Box Grater, or Vegetable Slicer. From The Asian Slice. Don't Settle for Low Quality! Extra Strong Handle, Stainless Steel, Dishwasher Safe, Rubber Non Slip Bottom

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent grater. Solid and sharp with a good selection of blades. Great price, too., October 28, 2015
My son loves this grater. He says the blades are very sharp and cut through vegetables and cheese without effort. He prefers this to my beloved Microplane box grater because, and he demonstrated this for me, the coarse grater face does not bend in. The Microplane does. He tested all the blades and likes the fine and powder grater on the back. The slicer on the side also does a great job for those parmesan ribbons we all like on our salads or for snacking and for making ribbons of zucchini or cucumber or even smaller tomato slices.

This is a very sturdy and stable grater, but be very careful when you use it and are getting to the end of what you are grating because the blades are quite sharp and you can easily grate your fingers and knuckles, too.

I put this through the dishwasher as a test and it came out perfectly fine, but you can hand wash it easily. Just be sure to wash with the blades (the opposite direction of grating) or you will grate your sponge or washcloth.

And the price is quite good for the solid quality of this kitchen tool.

Craig Matteson, Saline, MI 48176

Million Dollar Women: The Essential Guide for Female Entrepreneurs Who Want to Go Big
by Julia Pimsleur
Price: $16.73
79 used & new from $4.58

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific field guide from women building companies, but the advice is great for ANY entrepreneur., October 21, 2015
I am an entrepreneur, but I am obviously not a woman. However, I think this book is very fine and spot on in its advice to female entrepreneurs building their first companies. Julia Pimsleur uses her own story and has many other examples from other women who have built successful companies to illustrate her points. She says her goal is to help a million women build million dollar companies that grow even bigger! Ambitious, but think of how much it would benefit our economy and the lives of all the people they would employ and the value created for customers, I like the goal, a lot. I also think a lot of male entrepreneurs could benefit from the principles and ideas in this book, but they would have to translate all the Wonder Woman stuff and the like. No big deal. If you can’t do that simple thing, don’t start a company!

Can I point out one little thing about that million dollar a year revenue goal? It is not as much money as you think. Oh, it is great and you should be able to manage your company to be profitable at those revenues, and it does indicate a certain level of market acceptance. But you have overhead to run your office, even a home office, employees eat up revenue quickly, marketing costs, manufacturing (or programming) costs, government costs (taxes, regulations, fees, and the like). It goes a lot faster than it comes in for most folks so you have to squeeze every dollar like it is your last buck. Because it might be.

The author built her business on the language learning method created by her father. She adapted it for teaching little kids and did quite well with it. But it was not her first attempt at a company. For most of us, we try a few things before we find our way in the company that works. And there are a lot of sleepless nights. If you want a stress free life, don’t create a start up company. If, however, you are willing to put up with the stress, pain, and have the guts, you can build something that is yours and something you can point to and say that you created it, or helped create it (most of us have partners). And you can eventually gain a level of independence that not a lot of people get to enjoy.

She talks about the importance of failing the right way, the way you should create allies, how you should build your support network, how you should raise the RIGHT kind of money (you can get the wrong kind of money and kill your company or at least make your life miserable), how to build your personal confidence. I really enjoyed her points about presentations being about 7% for content, 38% your tone of voice, and 55% body language. Think about that and learn to do it. Confidence and being enthusiastic matter.

Throughout the book she has little mottos on Wonder Woman bracelets (the ones WW clanged together to unleash her powers), and one of my favorites (and there are many) is “what other people think of you is none of your business”. It is true. Don’t fret about it. My father used to tell me, “Don’t worry about what other people think about you, they seldom do.” The point isn’t that your public presentation doesn’t matter, it does (see the previous paragraph), but that fretting about it and paralyzing yourself with worry is terribly self-defeating.

I think she is spot on when she talks about how most people think in terms of Have, Do, Be – but in reality it is the other way around. You need to BE what you want to become, then DO the right things, and then you will have what you are working for. You cannot wait until you have the perfect situation to be able to DO the right things to BE what you need to be. Flip it the right way.

Everyone says to build your network, and that is true. When you are young, she points out, your competence matters, as you get into your 40s and 50s your NETWORKS (plural) matter more, your connections, who you can call on, your ability to get things done through other people. She teaches us that there are three kinds of networks you need to consciously build: 1) Operational, 2) Personal, and 3) Strategic. You need to read the book to see how she illustrates these networks, but I think she is spot on.

In the back of the book she has some exercises you can run through to help you implement what she discusses in each chapter. Use them. She also has a glossary of business terms you may or may not know. And she has a couple of pages of online resources for women entrepreneurs you can tap into.

Her last bracelet has the slogan “Fortune Favors the Brave”. Yes, it does.

Consider the Blessings: True Accounts of God's Hand in Our Lives
Consider the Blessings: True Accounts of God's Hand in Our Lives
by Thomas S. Monson
Price: $22.99
33 used & new from $4.13

5.0 out of 5 stars I found it so valuable I purchased five more copies for my grandchildren., October 14, 2015
I was nine years old when Thomas S. Monson was called as an apostle. Of course, being a child, I did not realize how exceedingly young he was when he was called; now that I am 61 and have followed his amazing service and leadership over the decades, I am not only stunned by how amazing his call was, but also how exactly right it was.

Another aspect of his service that I have come to appreciate more and more as I have matured is how beautiful his teaching and speeches are. Can I admit that when I was younger that I wished for more theological debate and that the Brethren would set the critics straight? When I served my mission I soon realized how useless such debate is. But it took me even longer to understand that President Monson’s focus on service, obedience, and personal scripture study is exactly right. Our own obedience helps us keep the Spirit and makes us sensitive to the right way in things. Our study builds our ability to teach and builds our sensitivity to sound teaching versus error. And service is the golden road to personal joy, connection to others, love, and building the reservoir of good will we each need as we stumble through our own lives.

Only lately have I come to realize the profound difficulty the Brethren have in running an organization of 15 million people, (many faithful, some recalcitrant, and a few in desperate trouble) in well more than 100 countries, in a vast number of languages, with different cultures, and each and every one of us at a different stage in our spiritual journey. Moreover, the Brethren have a better view of the whole church than any of us can have. President Monson has served as an apostle for more than 50 years and travelled the world. He gets on his desk all the most serious issues from every ward and stake from around the world; plus all the financial issues, the institutional issues, the political issues of the church in every country, and I am sure many issues I cannot even conceive of as existing.

I mention this because this is such a beautiful, simple, and wonderful book. For those of us who know President Monson’s teachings from years of being blessed by them, many of these stories will be familiar. But these dozens of little vignettes are wonderfully moving, instructive, and full of guidance that is conducive to feeling and understanding the Spirit. I was blessed by reading them. So much so, that I purchased five more copies to give to my grandchildren and their mothers. Even if they sit on their shelf for years, I want them available for them moment when each person is wondering about their life, its purpose, and how it can mean more. These stories are a great help in finding the right path.

The book is beautifully done, with beautiful pictures that are less illustrations than evocative of the spirit of each story and help provide a beautiful setting and for each vignette. It is handsomely bound and will stand up to reading, re-reading, and sharing.

I would also urge you to remember that even if the stories are familiar to you, they will be new to your young children, grandchildren, your non-member friends who are searching, and that familiar is good for folks who used to have an anchor in the Church but have wandered away and may be looking to find the familiar ground, the happier ground within the fold.

I recommend this book very strongly.

Razzle Dazzle: The Battle for Broadway
Razzle Dazzle: The Battle for Broadway
by Michael Riedel
Price: $14.85
47 used & new from $9.96

5.0 out of 5 stars The messy and scandalous business of Broadway that is hidden behind the stage and the lights., October 6, 2015
Look, I am a Midwesterner. Broadway is only tangentially a part of my life through touring shows, shows made into movies, local productions of shows, and television used to show more excerpts from Broadway than it does today. I also grew up in a home that loved musicals and I listened to albums of the famous shows (until I discovered Classical music as an adolescent – and that was that for me). But I understand its impact on our culture. I went to London to see shows such as “Les Miserables”, “Tommy”, “Grease”, and a few others. Mostly because my daughter wanted to see everything but “Tommy”. I wanted to see “Tommy” because I grew up with the Who album. Can I admit that even though I think “Les Miserables” is really bad musically, it is still a very moving show and works quite well as an evening’s entertainment. Yes, in a few places, I was moved to tears despite my misgivings. And I have seen it several times. Twice in London and once in Detroit with my family. I saw “Rent” at the Fischer Theater in Detroit and hated it. I would much rather see and hear “La Boheme” that “Rent” rips off so badly. In fact, I have performed in the chorus in local productions of “La Boheme”, “La Traviata”, and “Don Giovanni”.

But that isn’t this book. This book begins with the 1960s scandal that revealed the corrupt book keeping, the skimming (called ICE in the trade – because the skimmed money melts away like ice and leaves not a trace), the payoffs, and the cheating of investors and the taxpayers. Shocking, huh? Anyone remember the James Garner lawsuit of Hollywood a decade later over his share of the profits of the most popular show in television that somehow did not show much or any profit because of the corrupt accounting of Hollywood? I do.

The book covers the rise of the Shubert brothers and their battle with “The Syndicate”, which were a gang of theater owners across the country who dominated the business for decades. But they were getting old and the Shuberts were young, brash, and ambitious. So, the Shuberts eventually won and became the dominant name in the business to this day. Two of the three brothers died young and that left J.J. to the throne. He was a miserable and mean person. The book tells the sad story of an employee who had worked for them for 40 years and was sick and had nothing. His social security would not really keep him going and he asked J.J. for any kind of help for his decades of service. J.J. said he had taken care of him for 40 years and now he had to find someone else to do it. Wow.

These brothers led messy, adulterous, and corrupt lives. You will have to read the book to sort it all out because I can’t cover it all. Let me just say that the brothers left no direct heirs. Lawrence Shubert Lawrence, Jr. the son of a Shubert brother’s nephew took over the role of running the trust that held the Shubert wealth and power, and he did that from the bar at Sardi’s (where he had phones installed at either end of the bar to take calls). Yeah, he was drunk all the time. So, the lawyers eventually took over – Shoenfeld and Jacobs. Not that it was that clear cut and simple. The business is too corrupt and the family too messy to be that straightforward. Again, you have to read the book.

Along the way, we learn the business aspects of Broadway. The legal fights, the flops, the hits (and the hits saved the whole industry from going under for the last time well more than a few times), and the relationships and personalities involved. Again, it is far messier, more corrupt, and petty than you can possibly guess. The real miracle of theater is that anything ever gets done. I guess it is just that when it works there is so much money that everyone can find a way to pull together just enough to push their way to the trough.

The book also covers the rise of the Nederlander family in Detroit (my hometown) and the move of the son, James, to New York and how he came to build his empire to challenge the Shubert organization. Towards the end of the book we learn about the rise of corporate theater like Disney and its industrial money making machines.

This is a very interesting book if this is a subject that interests you. No, you won’t get into the theory or art of theater. This is the business side, the money side, the personality side, the scandal side of the business.

Enjoy. I guess. But have access to a shower when you are done.

Reviewed by Craig Matteson, Saline, MI
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2015 11:21 AM PDT

The Everyman's Guide to knowing which way to vote
The Everyman's Guide to knowing which way to vote
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A handy guide to help you evaluate where you on on 50 issues of the day., September 29, 2015
If you are unsure about whether or not you are a Conservative or a Progressive because you find yourself between the two positions, this guide should help you see where you are more clearly. The author looks at fifty different issues of our day and presents in a sentence or two, or a paragraph at most, the Progressive and the Conservative side (the Democrat and the Republican sides). Not that all Democrats are Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders Progressives or are all Republicans like Ted Cruz.

I would imagine the best way to go through this book (or pamphlet; really) is to see how much each of these issues matters to you and then which position seems the closest to your own views and then tally them up. Then you will know where you are a little more clearly.

For example, if an issue is very important to you, you might give your favored position a 1. If an issue is less important you might give your favored position .5 and so forth. Then sum the two columns and see the weighted totals for each position.

No matter where you are on the spectrum, I think this short book can be quite helpful in assisting you in clarifying where you are and then identifying the candidate(s) that most appeal to you.

Reviewed by Craig Matteson, Saline, MI
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2015 4:14 AM PDT

Unlikeable: The Problem with Hillary
Unlikeable: The Problem with Hillary
by Edward Klein
Price: $15.50
94 used & new from $5.55

5.0 out of 5 stars About half the general public likes the idea of Hillary, but when they see and hear her they find her generally UNLIKEABLE!, September 28, 2015
The Clintons began their push into national politics and our lives when Bill Clinton gave his disastrous nominating speech for Michael Dukakis’s presidential run in 1988. It was too long and he was jeered at the end of the 33 minute speech when he said “in closing”. But he learned and, like sharks on the prowl, they kept going forward. Hillary became known to most folks when the Gennifer Flowers scandal broke and they had to lie their way out of that first Bimbo Eruption. Hillary got high marks from the public for standing by her man. And in every one of his scandals since, and there have been many, when she does her “pretty in pink” Hillary Clinton victim dance she gains in the public’s eyes. But whenever she does her more honest and more strident independent Hillary Rodham dance such as her 1992 gaffe, “I guess I could have stayed home and baked cookies and had teas, but what I decided to do was fulfill my profession which I entered before my husband was in public life”, she falls in popularity like a boulder off a mountain peak.

This is the third of Ed Klein’s books on the Clintons and their pursuit of regaining the White House using Hillary as the Presidential Candidate and taking control of the Democrat Party, the Executive Branch, and the nation once again. The story centers on why Hillary has had such a hard time grabbing that brass ring which she just knew was hers by divine right in 2008 and now in 2016 and why it continues to elude her grasp. He gives us his primary thesis in the title of the book; the public finds her “unlikeable”. Oh, the press and her political machine keep telling us how wonderful and life of the party fun she is in private. However, the public sees her wooden public persona, her strident hectoring of the nation about what we must do under her vision of our lives, the phony attempts at spontaneity such as her dancing on “Ellen”, her hideous slides into “I ain’t no ways tired” African American mimic. And all this on top of her endless scandals after lie after scandals after evasion after scandals after fake non-apology apology after scandals after dissembling after more scandals. The public is right to wonder how many shoes this woman has that she can keep dropping so many. The public seems to want to forgive Bill for being a kind of charming rogue. But Hillary gets none of that slack because she is never charming or self-deprecating.

The press has always been a key part of protecting the Clintons. When Reagan was running for President, the press was always critical of his age, but now Hillary is as old as Reagan was and there is no serious questioning of her age (or Bernie Sanders or Joe Biden for that matter). When Reagan ran, the press demanded his health records and, as President, they demanded to know the details of his every medical procedure and doctor visit. Anyone else remember learning more than we wanted to know about intestinal polyps back then? But when Bill ran, it was fine to just get a general doctor’s note saying he was fine to run without ANY medical history whatsoever. And the press was fine with it. Now Hillary is running and Klein tells us a lot about what is wrong with her. SERIOUSLY wrong with her and the press is content with her doctor’s note of health. Of course we know why this hypocrisy is considered just fine with her supporters, but why doesn’t the public demand to know more about her brain and heart related issues?

Look, I can’t predict if she will eventually win the Democrat nomination or not or eventually regain the White House with Bill. I never thought the public would be foolish enough to elect Bill the first time, and certainly not the second time. And while I was afraid the novelty of electing the first African American President (weren’t we told that was Bill for a while?) would get Obama in the White House the first time, I never dreamed he would be able to be re-elected. But he was. So, I have no idea if Hillary and the Clinton machine along with a booster press can pull off this magic trick. But I strongly hope it belly flops. I can see her corruption, can’t you? Why can't the rest of the world? Are they willfully blind because of self interest and ideology?

The book recounts Bill’s priapic escapades more openly than ever before. Klein opens the book with Bill advising Hillary to not try and have a meeting with Obama. As the author tells us in "Blood Feud" the Clintons and the Obamaites have less than zero use for each other. They have a shouting match and Hillary goes for the meeting anyway. She wants some alone time with Obama and he wants nothing to do with her. He finally relents but has Valerie Jarrett in the Oval Office. Hillary is taken aback and makes her case to have Obama stop the problems she is having over the email server. According to this book, not only was Obama aware of the server he had warned her to not use it so this problem was of her own making. Hillary screams at him that she wants him to call off his "F-ing Dogs" but actually shouting the f-word. Obama tells her he can't and won't. Not a fun day for Team Hillary.

Klein also tells us about charm training for Hillary at the hands of Steven Spielberg no less, and how badly that went. We get more of the ugly details of her treatment of her team and staff. So, yes, she is unlikeable. My question is, will the public gag reflex finally be triggered? You will have to tell me because I have never been under their spell. But tens of millions apparently are.

Please get and read and share this book. Of course, the pro-Hillary team will dismiss it as trash, but without specific criticisms. They will not refute anything with facts, just their usual general denials. Remember the Clinton system, 1) deny as long as possible, 2) when the evidence goes against you, attack the evidence givers, 3) when the evidence becomes undeniable, cite your previous denials as evidence there is nothing there, 4) when desperate claim that there is nothing to indict them on, and 5) when it comes up again, say it is old news. Don’t fall for it. Please. Don’t fall for the Clinton hyper spin. I can’t vouch for Ed Klein, but since NOTHING in his previous two books has been refuted, I suspect nothing will be proved wrong here either.

Reviewed by Craig Matteson, Saline, MI
Comment Comments (27) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2015 1:01 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20