Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro
Profile for Craig Matteson > Reviews

Browse

Craig Matteson's Profile

Customer Reviews: 2228
Top Reviewer Ranking: 464

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Craig Matteson RSS Feed (Saline, MI)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Barron's New MCAT with CD-ROM, 2nd Edition (Barron's Mcat)
Barron's New MCAT with CD-ROM, 2nd Edition (Barron's Mcat)
by Louis Gotlib
Price: $31.78
74 used & new from $18.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Test prep materials for content, strategies, and techniques., May 3, 2016
Along with the Flash Cards, I bought this prep book. Barron's has great test prep not only because they provide you with drills and sample tests, but they also supply you with test taking strategies and time management techniques. This book also has a CD ROM so you can take the tests online, as I assume, the MCAT is actually given.

I bought both this book and the flash cards not because I, in my sixties, have any plans to take the MCAT, but because my granddaughter is talking about wanting to be a doctor and I want to help her understand what she has to learn and know and how to prepare for what is going to inevitably come in a few short years.

The Book of Mormon Made Harder
The Book of Mormon Made Harder
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Questions to spark your own thinking during your scripture study., May 3, 2016
This is NOT a book challenging The Book of Mormon or bringing up problems with this wonderful book of scripture. Instead, the goal is to help us to take our scripture study more deeply into the book. It is laid out according to the standard church lessons for the year and provides questions you and I might not have considered to get us to notice what is being said and taught in the chapter and verses. But the author does NOT teach us by providing us with his answers and telling us what he thinks about the scriptures being studied. He simply asks you and me the questions and we have to open our scriptures and dig out our own answers.

I think this is terrific.

Enjoy!

He has the same approach to the other standard works, as well. I think we can benefit from them.

Barron's Strategies and Practice for the NEW PSAT/NMSQT (Barron's Educational Series)
by Brian Stewart
Price: $8.43
81 used & new from $3.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent test prep with complete sample PSAT tests., May 3, 2016
Where the workout book provided by Princeton Review is topic based drill on 300 questions with sample tests for each section, this book from Barron's, also a quality test prep publisher, focuses on helping the student prepare for the TEST and how to take it. There are not only drill questions, but COMPLETE PSAT tests you can take to get the feel of it. The focus in this book is not just material mastery, but strategies and tips to help you navigate the test with understanding and how you can best use your time and approach to take it successfully.

Very worthwhile. And this is for the "NEW" PSAT and the national merit scholarship qualifying test.

Barron's MCAT Flash Cards
Barron's MCAT Flash Cards
by Jay B. Cutts M.A.
Edition: Cards
Price: $10.95
45 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars More like topic and recall and discuss cards than the simple flash cards of your childhood., May 3, 2016
This review is from: Barron's MCAT Flash Cards (Cards)
There are 450 cards here covering much of the material you would need to master to take the MCAT successfully. There is a great deal crammed onto each card. These are not really "flash" cards as much as they are topic and response cards. In other words, card number 6 covers "DNA Structure and Function" in the BIOLOGY section. On the card the major check terms are "Translation, Initiation, Elongation, Termination, and Posttranslation protein modification." Then each of these terms has information associated with it. For example, "translation" has "3 steps-initiation, elongation, termination". most have a lot more than that. So, the idea, I suppose, is that even these are not the complete information for each topic, but are to suggest the topic to you that you need to have mastered and spark your recall of the material. And if you can't recall it, you know what you need to go get fresh and complete in your mind.

Enjoy!

Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories: A Hercule Poirot Collection with Foreword by Charles Todd (Hercule Poirot Mysteries)
by Agatha Christie
Price: $15.25
82 used & new from $7.70

5.0 out of 5 stars A complete collection of the short stories of Hercule Poirot by Agatha Christie., May 3, 2016
Here you will find the complete collection of short stories by Agatha Christie of her great character Hercule Poirot. There are NOVELS that are not included here, of course. But all the short stories are here. One of the interesting things about Poirot is that Christie did not write them "chronologically" nor was the character held to real time in any way. When she began writing about him, he was an old retired Belgian policeman. But his success went on for decade after decade so he had to magically get a bit younger. In the TV show, he is presented much more chronologically.

Another difference between the stories and the TV show is that the stories have almost no action. It is all about Poirot thinking and amazing through insight. He often never even travels to the crime scene. The idea of physical chase and confrontation is not part of the Poirot as written by Christie. But TV has other requirements and needs of its heroes.

I recommend reading these stories in the original. They have been massive global sellers for nearly a century and remain so. Get it on the fun!

The Quotations of Mayor Coleman A. Young (African American Life Series)
The Quotations of Mayor Coleman A. Young (African American Life Series)
Price: $5.49

3.0 out of 5 stars The wit and wisdom of Mayor Coleman Young in a justly and appropriately thin volume., May 2, 2016
This very thin volume is the Socialist / Communist Little Red Book of the sayings of Mayor Coleman Young of Detroit. There is very little wit and no detectable wisdom in this volume. There is, however, a great deal of crudity, vitriol, accusations and assumptions of racism in every white person, and his attacks on everyone and everything who didn't give him his way.

I did like the chronology of his life in the back, however.

Never be fooled, however. Just because Coleman Young denied criminality and corruption on his part and blamed everything found in his administration and the staff around him to be a trap of the White Power Structure rather than his own venality, does not mean that what Mayor Young claimed was true or accurate. Just convenient.

Because of the outrageous criminality of the Kilpatrick years, too many want to let Coleman Young and the Wayne County Executives, McNamara and Ficano off the hook just because they were not sent to prison. That is an awfully low bar for getting praise.

I remember Detroit when it was a beautiful city. I wish it could be that way again. But not likely in my lifetime.

Who Speaks For Islam?: What a Billion Muslims Really Think
Who Speaks For Islam?: What a Billion Muslims Really Think
by John L. Esposito
Price: $17.89
132 used & new from $2.87

2.0 out of 5 stars Basically a political tract for Islam based on a veneer of Gallup Polling., May 2, 2016
This book proves the truth of the old adage that there are lies, damned lies, and statistics! This claim is that this book is based on extensive polling of Muslims from around the world on various topics. Predictably they find out that we who have suffered 9/11, Ft. Hood, the London attacks, the Paris Attacks, the Canadian Parliament attack, the San Bernardino attack, the various assaults on our recruiting offices, and on and on and on are not experiencing Islam but something else. Even though the killers say it is Islam that motivates them, the authors assure us it is not. What do we do with that?

The book is strangely titled “Who Speaks for Islam?” The strange thing is that Islam is an utterly decentralized religion in the sense that there is no central authority. No Pope, no archbishop, no president of the Church as there are in most Western Christian faiths. Yet we see Imams on TV making universal declarations they claim are for Muslims in the whole Earth. Yet, somehow, Muslims feel free to accept or reject it as needed. Often, too often, by sending a fusillade of bullets towards the opposition to end the opposition. This is how a Religion of Peace works, you see. You fight furiously until the only folks left agree with you or submit to you as dhimmis and pay your support through a tax. Is this why so many Muslims are on welfare throughout Europe and the West? They see it as their due?

I do not claim to be an authority on Islam. Not at all. I just have my life experiences to guide me. And I know reality is discounted by many intellectuals because it disagrees with their nice theories and doctrines. But I will stick with reality, thank you.

In my view, this book is more of a tract to allow the pro-Islam activists to claim a scientific basis for their political claims of peace and non-violence. Even while we see video after video of Imams and everyday Muslims claiming a hatred for the West and a desire for it to fall. And, of course, the anti-Semitism we see everywhere driven by Islam. The stabbing of innocents with knives. Most peaceful!

You can read it if you want to get this information in your mind. For example, on page 7 the little pop out box claims “Islam means ‘a strong commitment to God’ and shares the same Arabic root as the word for peace, or salaam.” OK. But this deceptive interpretation denies or misleads us away from the LITERAL meaning of the word, which is SUBMISSION. You see the tenor of the book. On page 9 the little box says, for what possible purpose I don’t quite grasp, “Jesus’ mother, Mary, is mentioned by name more times in the Quran than in the New Testament”. And?

No thanks.

Reviewed by Craig Matteson, Saline, MI

Dr. Strangelove, Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (Special Edition)
DVD ~ James Earl Jones
Price: $8.78
121 used & new from $2.07

5.0 out of 5 stars A great film. Watch it. Know it. Love it., May 2, 2016
An absolutely great movie about the Cold War. I am not sure it means as much to the present generation as it did to those of us who lived through it. But it remains a great film and one any person wanting to know the great films should know.

Even so, I never learned to love the H-bomb.

Bayer Microlet Colored Lancets - 100 ct.
Bayer Microlet Colored Lancets - 100 ct.
Price: $8.98
42 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An affordable way to change your lancets with each use., May 2, 2016
When we test we are supposed to change the lancet with each use so that the blood from a previous reading does not corrupt the present reading. Almost no one does this. But we should. This makes doing so affordable and easy. So do it.

Contour Next Normal Control Solution Level 2, 2.5ml
Contour Next Normal Control Solution Level 2, 2.5ml
Offered by Power Life Health
Price: $4.93
5 used & new from $2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Use to check that your Contour Next meter is returning accurate readings., May 2, 2016
Every now and again we have to check our blood glucose meters to ensure that they are testing properly and that we can trust the readings we are getting. We almost always can. This Control Solution is for those using the Contour Next meters. I wondered if my meter was off, bought this, and found out my meter is fine. Always reassuring.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20