Profile for Imagine Studios > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 25

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Imagine Studios RSS Feed (Ohio, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Loop: What Women Need to Know
Loop: What Women Need to Know
by Jennifer J. Camp
Price: $22.49
19 used & new from $16.69

5.0 out of 5 stars ... me in and provides a fresh dose of God's love - oftentimes speaking directly to a unspoken longing or ..., November 15, 2014
Loop draws me in and provides a fresh dose of God's love - oftentimes speaking directly to a unspoken longing or pain in my heart. I am so excited to see my favorite inbox communication in a book form that I can hold and share with others. Thank you Jennifer!

Faithprints: Touching Your World for Jesus
Faithprints: Touching Your World for Jesus
by Rebekah Montgomery
Price: $14.99
21 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical handbook for the trenches, September 16, 2013
Touching your world for Jesus isn't always pretty. Mother Teresa said, "Let us touch the dying, the poor, the lonely and the unwanted according to the graces we have received and let us not be ashamed or slow to do the humble work," and Rebekah Brinkley Montgomery would agree.

This book is part memoir/part handbook for going into the trenches and serving people where they are. Divided into sections, the author explores what individuals can do - visit prisoners, reaching the down and out and praying...The next part talks about recruiting others in the community to serve alongside during tragedies and relieving ongoing problems, and the last section deals with the church and what it can do to be more Christlike in ministry.

Personally I like how she breaks it all down and gives very practical suggestions. In fact, some of the suggestions are basic and small such as buying a Christmas gift for a prisioner's child, donating used appliances and bringing water bottles and food to a family touched by a disaster - but the lists are helpful nonetheless.

When faced with overwhelming situations it can be easy to become paralyzed into inaction. Having a resource to help guide us into small actions and targeted prayers is helpful....and the stories and wise advice from the trenches of service is invaluable.

Rebekah Brinkley Montgomery is not naive, she knows serving others can be messy, and feel unproductive at times. She weaves her personal stories of service throughout this practical book complete with the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Disclosure * This book was sent to me in exchange for my honest review from ACU and Leafwood Press.

I Am That I Am: Tracing the Footprints of God
I Am That I Am: Tracing the Footprints of God
by Judy Azar LeBlanc
Price: $26.96
26 used & new from $5.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, July 21, 2013
I Am That I Am: Tracing the Footprints of God" by Judy Azar LeBlanc is a book chock-full of information. The topics include everything from the names of God, the covenants and, my favorite - the deeper meanings for Jesus' parables from the new Testament Gospels.

This sweeping overview is anything but superficial. There are maps and pictures, dates and tables throughout that shows the deep research the author conducted. The collection of commentaries by renowned bible scholars are a valuable addition especially for lay people who probably do not have a access to such a wide collection of bible commentaries on a day to day basis.

492 pages broken into four main parts:

God's Covenants with Humanity
The Parabolic Ministry of Christ
The Miraculous Healing Ministry of the Great I Am That I Am through Jesus
Names and Titles of the Great I Am That I Am

This really is an excellent resource to have on hand. In fact, I liked the premise of this book so much - I gave my review copy away almost immediately, and purchased my own to go through slowly and keep on my bookshelf.

Unexpected Love: God's Heart Revealed in Jesus' Conversations with Women
Unexpected Love: God's Heart Revealed in Jesus' Conversations with Women
by Julie Zine Coleman
Price: $13.72
69 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and informative, February 9, 2013
Unexpected Love, God's Heart Revealed in Jesus' Conversations with Women is as captivating, and surprising, as the title suggests.

The author visits nine poignant interactions Jesus had with women in the Gospels. But she doesn't just retell the stories - she goes into such depth that it feels as if you are right there in the scene. Solidly scriptural, the book digs deeply into the culture of the day and asks real questions (and then provides the answers!)

I would highly recommend this book - for individual growth, a women's small group or really anyone who wants to understand some of the trickier conversations Jesus had with women. It is set up like a bible study - scripture, narrative of the story, cultural basis, word study and then applications and journaling projects.

"He is looking for a heart ready to trust in his goodness. He wants to look past our surface accomplishments to inside, where our faults and needs reside."

Thank you to Thomas Nelson Pulishers and the Booksneeze program for this book in exchange for an honest revi

Dirty God: Jesus in the Trenches
Dirty God: Jesus in the Trenches
Offered by HarperCollins Christian Publishing
Price: $8.89
5 used & new from $8.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected 5 stars, January 18, 2013
I just finished reading the book Dirty God by Johnnie Moore and just want to say - Buy It Now.
Moore describes grace in a way that I haven't seen before (and I read A LOT) - between vivid pictures of his travels through out the world, he points out the obvious - but overlooked - parts of the real living God. - the same God who got dirty living in this world - Jesus in the trenches.

I actually - sadly - did not expect to get anything out of this book. The title is shocking in a "hip Christian" sort of way and I was initially annoyed at the premise of the book. Nearly chalked it up to another self-help Christian book that is designed in part to stir up guilt for not doing more. With that said, the first part of the book "Getting Grace" did not initially grab my attention....but then I read the second half "Giving Grace" and had to go backwards to reread all the details.

If I had a physical copy it would be highlighted and underlined - instead I took notes on my computer as I read the digital version. The following random notes should give you a good idea of what to expect from this book.

*Grace may make you seem insane to those around you -mercy and meekness is counterculture, but no will say you are weak. The POWER of grace is real.

*Grace believes that God can still take terrorists like Saul and make them Paul.

*We are like laptops -with limited battery power -and yet we keep plugging ourselves into fake outlets. God is the source of our energy and only He can make us useful.

*Dare to answer the following questions:
What brings me the most satisfaction and security in my life?
What is it that, if I had it, would solve all my problems?
If I could snap my fingers and make anything a reality, what would it be?
What do I think I cannot live without?

The answers to these questions reveal the idol that threatens you.

*Christians should never blend in. Our lives should scream the loudest sermon ever preached. Two words: servant - leadership

*God isn't your grandma - HA! I love this part. Last minute appeals to God -begging - praying - reading the bible - more begging and pleading er, praying and still the "bad thing happens"
God may want you to fail your test.
What? I love this. It is so true. Grace is free - but it is not easy. Cheap grace like Dietrich Bonhoeffer explains is the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance, baptism without church discipline, Communion without confession, absolution without personal confession. Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ, living and incarnate.

*Just because God has welcomed us to boldly come into the throne of grace in our time of need - IT does not mean that we should barge in like we own the place. We should respect and fear him.

*****Do not have the audacity to take the grace and run.

*Why isn't God doing something about the mess the world is in - He is. He is allowing our hearts to collide with the crisis and giving us the opportunity to get dirty and do something about it.

And on page 144 the author retells a story that changed his life - I have to say I expected this story to have a different ending. Instead, the author acted like a Pharisee not the good Samaritan - and that moment imprinted on his heart like the crowing rooster did for Peter.....and it made me take a closer look at the book. Johnnie Moore is not presenting grace as someone who has it all figured out and does life perfectly - but someone who needs grace, just like me.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com [...] book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 [...] : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

Beyond Ordinary: When a Good Marriage Just Isn't Good Enough
Beyond Ordinary: When a Good Marriage Just Isn't Good Enough
by Justin Davis
Price: $10.65
108 used & new from $3.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Painfully true, January 9, 2013
"Justin and Trisha Davis know just how dangerous ordinary can be. In this beautifully written book, Justin and Trisha take us inside the slow fade that occurred in their own marriage--each telling the story from their own perspective. Together, they reveal the mistakes they made, the work they avoided, the thoughts and feelings that led to an affair and near divorce, and finally, the heart-change that had to occur in both of them before they could experience the hope, healing, and restoration of a truly extraordinary marriage."

Written as a "he said, she said" biography, this marriage book goes beyond just giving advice. Actually it is more like a cautionary tale that is at times painful to read.

If you are disappointed in your love story, read "Beyond Ordinary." In the midst of their very open disclosures - there is a lot of good advice and encouragement. The truth is you can either struggle and fight for your marriage - or struggle and fight against it.

I wish them all the best as they continue on their journey.

*I received this book for free through the Tyndale Publishing in exchange for my review - 5 stars.

Twelve Unlikely Heroes: How God Commissioned Unexpected People in the Bible and What He Wants to Do with You
by John F. MacArthur
Price: $17.82
125 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars richly detailed, January 5, 2013
In "Twelve Unlikely Heroes," pastor and best-selling author John MacArthur outlines twelve figures from history; Enoch, Joseph, Miriam (Moses' sister), Gideon and Samson, Jonathan (Saul's son and David's best friend), Jonah, Esther, John the Baptist, James the brother of Jesus, and Mark and Onesimus. MacArthur fleshes out the heroic efforts of these characters without overlooking their humanness.

Two of the most familiar characters of the Old Testament- Joseph -and Esther -were my favorites. Although I had heard/read/studied his life from seemingly all angles -scripture, bible stories, sermons, cartoons and even singing vegetables (Vegetales) MacArthur really focused on God's sovereign hand....and I found that immensely relateable.

I thought I would breeze through this book - but found myself slowing down on purpose. There is a richness here that shouldn't be devoured all in one sitting thanks to the wealth of background information and research that goes into each chapter. I will admit to intellectually knowing a lot of the facts presented - but seeing how all the details intersect was interesting.

While I received this copy in exchange for a review - I plan on going on with MacArthur's previous books in the series - Twelve Extraordinary Women: How God Shaped Women of the Bible and What He Wants to Do with You, and Twelve Ordinary Men.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

Breakfast with Bonhoeffer: How I Learned to Stop Being Religious So I Could Follow Jesus
by Jon Walker
Price: $10.48
74 used & new from $4.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Raw and sad, December 14, 2012
"When Christ calls a man, he bids him come and die." -Bonhoeffer

This book is not at all what I expected. Jon Walker is depressed. He is suffering from bipolar disorder. He is going through a divorce. He has serious financial difficulties, lives in a borrowed house, misses his children, battles a physical problems....in other words he is definitely not living the life he might have chosen for himself.

Things changed. Life got very, very hard, very quickly.

No prosperity message here. This is a raw account of someone in the midst of mess. And I liked it.

Sure it is depressing in parts. I want to jump in and fix it all, say no no no, this is not how it should end. 'Pick yourself up man, stop writing and go fix your relationships' - but then again, it is refreshing to read a story without a happy ending. One where God is still at the center - the vortex - of a life spinning wildly out of control.

I like it because I have been through messy situations. Walked a walk I would never have chosen and have had to decide how I am going to react and move on. Like Jon, I've lost things that I never thought would be possible to lose.

Weaving the teachings of Bonhoeffer into his story was encouraging....(in no way is this a comprehensive or in depth devotional on the martyred German pastor Bonhoeffer though) ....but the message comes through loud and clear when "positive thinking" or "follow these 3 steps to a happy life" type books do you no good.
At the end of the book Walker even quotes Frodo "How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on when in your heart you begin to understand...there is no going back?"

Sometimes there really isn't any way back - but you can make it through...

4 stars (with a little disclaimer - it is depressing, you can almost hear the authors sighs)

*I received a free review copy of this book from the publisher

Jesus: Pure and Simple
Jesus: Pure and Simple
by Wayne Cordeiro
64 used & new from $3.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Rest and Refocus, December 14, 2012
This review is from: Jesus: Pure and Simple (Hardcover)
There is an interesting trend in the books I have been receiving lately..... or maybe it is the message I need to hear. God made you - He knows you - He's got a plan - He is quite capable of fulfilling that plan without you running yourself ragged. Got it. Good.

"The closer you get to Jesus, the more at home you will feel in this journey. God designed it that way."

--Wayne Cordeiro

There is a lot of solid encouragement in this book.....I loved the stories and the way Cordeiro interpreted biblical references....

and this - "An early symptom of self-righteousness surfaces when we begin to judge others based on their actions and ourselves based on our intentions.
A second symptom is when we are confident that God dislikes the same people we do!"

Other reviewers seemed to get a 'prosperity' message from this book, but I do not think that was his intent. And it did not jump out at me. Sometimes our predispositions about an author can get in the way. Besides, self-righteousness is precisely one of the things this pastor is attempting to point out and avoid.

I found it to readable and encouraging, the type of book I will pull out time and again to remind myself to "simplify" and relax already.

200 pages of reminders to simplify religion such as;
*cut the distractions
*measure your worth by what Jesus says instead of all the strangers and friends that populate social networks (and neighborhoods/churches/schools...)
*servants are great in the kingdom - are you willing to be content and serve others in obscurity if need be?

I received this book as a review copy from Bethany Publishers and was not required to post a favorable review.

A Woman's Right to Rest: Fourteen Types of Biblical Rest That Can Transform Your Life
by Denise George
Price: $13.49
36 used & new from $6.72

5.0 out of 5 stars A gentle challenge, December 5, 2012
Are you tired?

Almost sounds like a rhetorical question doesn't it? Of course you are tired, there is so much to do, so much you should be doing, could be doing, want to do for others, need to do for others ..... so much so that sleep itself seems "selfish" at times.
A Woman's Right to Rest by Denise George is your permission slip to REST. It is okay. In fact, George didn't make this up -- God himself gives you permission.

The book outlines fourteen different types of biblical rest - AND- this is important - explains HOW to incorporate these rest periods into your day to day life. If you battle exhaustion, physical, mental, emotional or spiritual exhaustion - let Denise's gentle encouragement refresh you.

I enjoyed all the suggestions, ways to rest, it is so much more than just vegging on the couch! You can be "resting" as you go about your day to day life when you learn to turn off all the chatter and make choices that enrich, not strip you of your peace.

I read it alone, but this would be an excellent choice for a book study, the questions at the end of the chapter are engaging and well worth your time.

*I received this book from Leafwood Publishers in exchange for a fair and honest review. All opinions are my own
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2012 6:58 AM PST