Profile for Alicia Van Hecke > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 120

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Alicia Van Hecke "Love2learn Mom" RSS Feed (Milwaukee, WI)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
ADX Rugged Flip CREE LED Lantern Flashlight Combo with High Low Strobe
ADX Rugged Flip CREE LED Lantern Flashlight Combo with High Low Strobe
Price: $9.99
4 used & new from $9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Nifty Idea, but Poorly Put Together, January 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really like the idea of this mini lantern/flashlight combo. Unfortunately, the first time I brought it outside (thinking it would be handy to slip over my wrist while I walked the dog), the strap broke while I was trying to put it over my hand and the flashlight smashed to the ground. :(

Zojirushi NSRNC-18A 10-Cup (Uncooked) Automatic Rice Cooker and Warmer with Floral Imprint
Offered by PowerforApple
Price: $139.95
3 used & new from $105.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Workhorse, December 30, 2013
We have had this rice maker for years now. It just keeps making rice. Add water and rice. Hit one button. You get GOOD rice.

Pros:
Durability. (I don't know how many years we have been using this - and frequently - 6? It's been to long to remember)
Consistency. (Rice is cooked well (when you don't mix up the proportions too bad or forget to hit the button))
Keep warm. (After you make the rice you can leave this plugged in (indicator light shows "keep warm"). The rice you don't use right away will stay edible for a couple days before the edges get too dry and hard. We usually end up making batches end to end so there is literally always rice available!)
Capacity. (We hardly ever put more than 6 cups of rice in for our family)
Simplicity. (One button. Just one. No fuzzy logic settings. Just one button.)
Retractable cord (still works after all these years)
Handsome and cool to the touch (I can retract the cord and carry it to the table with one hand on the handle to serve directly)
Easy to clean (batch to batch cleaning is super easy. The bowl is nonstick. The aluminum removable interior lid is not hard to clean. And the little condensed water catcher is something I only rinse once ever 5 or 10 batches. Once ever 6-8 months I will clean a little more thoroughly above the removable interior lid. And once in these many years I even took off the gasket and cleaned that.)

Cons:
A bit pricey for the one-button type. (But worth it for the above reasons)
Nonstick coating does wear out (ours is blistered now after a long time)

We had a hand-me-down Sanyo rice maker that must have been about 25 years old when we decided to upgrade. (It still worked but it had an aluminum pot that was both hard to clean and not recommended according to the 'latest' studies). I asked my friends from Taiwan what rice maker to get and they said "Anything Japanese". This is what I got when I followed those instructions. I have had no regrets. In fact I plan to replace it with the exact same thing if this thing EVER dies.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 23, 2014 6:12 AM PDT

\Kellogg's Rice Krispies Gluten Free Cereal, Whole Grain Brown Rice, 12-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 4) (Discontinued By Manufacturer)
Offered by Jan's Bargain Spot
Price: $77.00
3 used & new from $77.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Rice Krispies guaranteed Gluten Free, December 30, 2013
My dad ate Rice Krispies and milk nearly every weekday morning for years.
I ate Cheerios the same way.
Cereal is quick and easy and nutritious. And, luckily, I enjoy the flavor - so I can capitalize on those good attributes.

But then the household went gluten free. REALLY gluten free. No contamination allowed. No "mostly" gluten free. It has to be really gluten free. So my Cheerios were no longer welcome.

After a little while of expensive hit and miss granolas we discovered these reasonably priced Rice Krispies. And you know what? They are tasty. Now I eat these with a few nuts and sometimes raisins sprinkled on top. I am back to easy morning breakfasts. I have no negatives to report. They taste great.

Francois et Mimi Stainless Steel Coffee Mug Tree Holder, Holds 4-6 Mugs, Depending on Size

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice for me, December 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This isn't complicated. You hang cups on it. It is good.

Allow me to point out some of the more subtle good things about it:
- Stainless steel - always a good choice for cleanability
- Stable - not insignificant considering the weight of ceramic cups!
- Big enough to fit our normal Corelle cups and some of the middle-large size cups too. (I can put half liter mugs on a couple of the hooks)
- the knobs at the ends of the posts are key - they help keep the cups from sliding off but are small enough to not impede putting the cups on the rack in the first place.
- good for ME because I like to use cups a few times before I wash them to be economical. But each other way that I tried to "keep" them was problematic. When I kept them on an open shelf they were in danger of falling accidentally. When I kept them on the counter they were in "danger" of being washed prematurely by others who are doing dishes. By hanging up the cup is safe, it's designated as "in use" and it is very easily accessible.

I really only found one small issue. The post was not perfectly tight (I say perfectly because I didn't even notice until I went to check it again for this review). And simply turning the post did not fix it. Luckily there is a normal phillips screw underneath with which I was able to tighten it. But the screw was covered by the padding on the base. I had to cut a little hole in the center to access the screw.

Lundberg Eco-Farmed California Brown Basmati Rice, 25-Pound
Lundberg Eco-Farmed California Brown Basmati Rice, 25-Pound
Price: $52.35
15 used & new from $45.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious way to eat brown rice!!, December 30, 2013
I know brown rice is a lot more healthy than white. And yet brown rice has a smell and taste that are, frankly, not that appealing to all members of the family. Some years ago someone recommended brown basmati rice. It is much better. It smells better, it tastes better and it has better consistency than the regular brown rice.

However, it's not always easy to find. It always carries a premium price. And it usually comes in small containers. Well this 25 pound bag makes it much more feasible to have on hand.

And we have made several batches now in our basic Zojirushi (NSRNC-18A) rice maker. (I have to review THAT one of these days - it's a great workhorse unit!) I can report that when you make the rice with only water it comes out good. When I made it with the water, salt and butter (as the bag directs) it came out perfect. The grains were moist but not mushy. They were not clumped together. They were tender. They were tasty. Even some of the pickier eaters thought it was "fine".
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2015 6:54 AM PST

Ricoh Aficio SP 204SN Monochrome Multifunction Laser Printer with Color Photo Scanner and Copier (Windows Only)
Offered by J-Tech Digital, Inc
Price: $87.99
10 used & new from $59.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Laser Printer with COLOR Scanner, December 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Most of the printing we do is black and white. So after years of paying for the inkjet refills and limping along on a HP4 that never did print clean copies we opted for a new black and white laser printer. But one thing we missed was the scanner. (Really - our old inkjet all-in-one basically says "you can't print black and you can't even scan because you are out of magenta ink" it's beyond frustrating!!)

Along comes the Ricoh which combines the reliable, economical and practical black laser with a COLOR scanner. And because it has a scanner it is also a copier. And just to put a cherry on top it has a sheetfeeder so you can do double-sided, and you can do stacks of paper. This was absolutely made for our household!

However, it seems Ricoh is still missing a couple components that our household needs. We run several computers and mobile devices. The Win 7 machines worked great when I pointed to the fixed IP address setting. The Win XP machine did too. (Note: I installed from the included CD. When I tried to do the download it was much more confusing.) The Ubuntu Linux PC is not able to print. There is no Linux driver on the Ricoh website. There are apps for both our iphone and Android devices. I was easily able to find them and install them. They provide interfaces for both printing and scanning. They look really nice!!! But they DON'T WORK. At least they haven't yet worked for me. I will update the review when I learn more.

The two-line text display in conjunction with the keypad is nice for local settings. However it isn't QUITE as intuitive as I could hope. Even though I usually handle tech pretty well I backed myself into a corner with the navigation and had to reboot just to make sure I wasn't going to mess up the settings I had stumbled into.

Pros:
Reliable technology
Practical B&W printing works for MOST of what I do
Good build quality
Color scanner
Sheetfeeder
Very reasonable price

Cons:
No Linux drivers
Confusing/buggy web download drivers
Apple and Android Apps beautiful but not yet functional for this printer (I hope to change this entry)

But considering the price. This is a fantastic deal. I expect it to be working for us for years.

Deathbed Conversions: Finding Faith at the Finish Line
Deathbed Conversions: Finding Faith at the Finish Line
Price: $10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and Inspiring Read!, November 15, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this collection of stories about famous (and at times infamous) people who converted to Catholicism after many years of wrestling with God. The author handles their often tough life stories with gentleness and understanding, and with special attention to God's grace working through friends and family members who stuck with these individuals in good times and in bad. The list of converts include a king, a gangster, a Nobel Prize winning biologist, a famous mathematician and a number of notable entertainers, actors and writers.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 9, 2014 4:29 PM PDT

Pamela's Products Gluten Free Artisan Flour Blend, 24 Ounce
Pamela's Products Gluten Free Artisan Flour Blend, 24 Ounce
Price: $6.09
10 used & new from $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice GF Flour - Smooth Consistency and Nice Taste, September 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My daughter made some very lovely and delicious cinnamon rolls with this gluten-free flour. They were quite tasty and the flour was very nice to work with. Since our whole family has had to go gluten-free because of my celiac, we really appreciate finding quality products that are family-friendly.

Back to the Roots Organic Mushroom Farm
Back to the Roots Organic Mushroom Farm
Price: $18.39
4 used & new from $18.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product and Tasty Too!, September 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We really enjoyed growing mushrooms with this kit. Results were fast (and pretty exciting - they seemed to grow even more than the picture showed) and my kids were quite eager to take turns spraying the mushrooms with water while they were growing. Lots of "wow" and we enjoyed eating them too!

Crawford-Lehigh FSSBV16 Rawlings Vertical Storage Organizer, Red/Black
Crawford-Lehigh FSSBV16 Rawlings Vertical Storage Organizer, Red/Black
Price: $17.63
10 used & new from $9.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy Duty and It Works!, August 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had my doubts about this when I was asked to install it in the garage. I have to admit that I was expecting something which wouldn't really hold up to use and to the things we need to store. In fact I was pleasantly surprised. The provided hardware included screws which were longer and heavier shafted than I was expecting. The clips are heavy gauge metal. And it actually holds a fair amount of our equipment including several tennis rackets and a large number of balls. But also a dozen arrows. A random hockey helmet and still have room left over. The construction is heavy gauge fabric and straps. The netting is, well, netting. It seems like it will last. Time will tell. I would recommend this product.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12