Profile for Chantel > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chantel RSS Feed

Colorado Fit Kitchen: Inspiring Recipes for Mind, Body, Beauty and Optimum Wellness
by James Rouse
40 used & new from $0.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Kitchen inspiration knows no limit here!, September 13, 2011
5 stars is really not enough in my opinion, although I must admit I might never have known about this cookbook had I not already known the authors. They are truly the epitome of healthy living and they radiate it like the sun. (seriously!) I saw the book on the shelf at church first, and the photography is so brilliant it makes your mouth water immediately. The food imagery all looks so deliciously edible. I don't know how anyone could peruse those photos and not be dying to cook anything out of this book. While I love online shopping and did get the book here on Amazon, I must say it is a limitation especially for this book, because you really cannot appreciate it completely until you have held it in your hands.

The recipes are easy and delicious. There are plenty of gluten free options and instructions for most on gluten free or conventional use. Even when there are some more unusual ingredients suggested there are usually alternatives that are easy to find, plus they do encourage experimentation. Inspiring is no joke, this cookbook will beg you to play in the kitchen and love what you eat. It is one of my favorite cookbooks, and may even top the list by the time I finish trying everything in it!

The Organic Food Shopper's Guide
The Organic Food Shopper's Guide
by Jeff Cox
Price: $12.46
150 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Companion to the Organic Cook's Bible, September 13, 2011
So, I feel like I really need to review this book in conjunction with the author's other book The Organic Cooks Bible because I bought them both together, and they are so much alike. The Bible is that...its over 500 pages and has tons of detail and most every fruit, veggie and herb has at least one if not multiple recipes to accompany it. The Shoppers guide, which has a 2 year newer copyright is really a regurgitation/contracted version of the bible, but I will try not to hold that against it since they do compliment each other so well. The shoppers guide has less listings, skipping over fruits, veggies, and spices that I was surprised to see left out. Additionally, there are only 3 recipes in the shopper that are not already in the bible, none of which are crucial. The advantage of the shoppers guide however is its small (6x8 inches) which means it will fit nicely in most purses and can therefore be taken to the store with you. They are both organized in a similar fashion with veggies grouped, fruits grouped, etc. and then alphabetized by category.

I was specifically shopping for cookbooks with more vegetable ideas overall when I chose these. They were even more than what I thought I wanted since not only are there recipes but the volumes of information to help choose was exactly what I was looking for. I grew up in a meat and potato family and married the same. I did get more into veggies, organics and juicing in college but really have veered back to the mainstream diet due to hubbies likes. Honestly I did alot of juicing because I was convinced most of what went in would taste bad if I had to actually taste it. I have been desperately searching for ways to diversify the family diet so that I can incorporate more nutritious foods that taste good.

The bible is a perfect kitchen companion. There are full color pages with pictures of the produce for those of us that don't always know what their food should look like and are trying to learn. The focus is on organically produced ingredients all the way around. There are details about how the produce should look, when it is in season, different varieties available and how to choose. Again, this info is in the shoppers guide as well, but in less depth (and none of the photos). There are easily 4x more recipes in the bible.

Personally I subscribe to the reduce-reuse-recycle plan as often as posssible so buying used was the way to go. As such they were affordable enough that I was not displeased with how much was exactly the same. I am very confident that they will get a ton of use. The expertise of the author inspires confidence that the information is accurate. I am really looking forward to working my way through the recipes.

In addition to these I got the earthbound farms cookbook and Colorado Fit Kitchen (which i really love and would also recommend).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2014 5:20 PM PST

The Organic Cook's Bible: How to Select and Cook the Best Ingredients on the Market
by Jeff Cox
Price: $29.17
122 used & new from $1.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for!, September 13, 2011
So, I feel like I really need to review this book in conjunction with the author's other book The Organic Food Shopper's Guide because I bought them both together, and they are so much alike. The Bible is that...its over 500 pages and has tons of detail and most every fruit, veggie and herb has at least one if not multiple recipes to accompany it. The Shoppers guide, which has a 2 year newer copyright is really a regurgitation/contracted version of the bible, but I will try not to hold that against it since they do compliment each other so well. The shoppers guide has less listings, skipping over fruits, veggies, and spices that I was surprised to see left out. Additionally, there are only 3 recipes in the shopper that are not already in the bible, none of which are crucial. The advantage of the shoppers guide however is its small (6x8 inches) which means it will fit nicely in most purses and can therefore be taken to the store with you. They are both organized in a similar fashion with veggies grouped, fruits grouped, etc. and then alphabetized by category.