Profile for Laura C > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 38

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Laura C "Mystery Maven" RSS Feed (Alpharetta, GA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Eating Delancey: A Celebration of Jewish Food
Eating Delancey: A Celebration of Jewish Food
by Aaron Rezny
Price: $25.82
60 used & new from $20.20

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Difficult to Read Due to Font & Color Choices - Wonderful Content, November 28, 2014
Wonderful content and chock full of great humor. However, for a book that was obviously expensive to print (beautiful stock and photographs) the choice of fonts, font size and print in pale colors on pale pages makes this very difficult to read. And I'm someone who doesn't need reading glasses yet.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Cargo Liquid Foundation, F-30, 1.33 fl. oz.
Cargo Liquid Foundation, F-30, 1.33 fl. oz.

2.0 out of 5 stars Formula Change Altered Color Selection, August 8, 2014
Oh boy, my aging skin loves this! Very light but buildable coverage. F30 is perfect and I am very fair with pink undertones. Doesn't creep into fine lines or turn greasy on my normal skin. I get many compliments. Try a sample first from Ulta and then order online. Be cautious, I recently ordered thru Amazon and got a very old product that had oxidized (it was in different packaging, my first clue). Returned for a prompt refund. The package u see here is the most current. Love the environmentally conscious pouch that also let's you utilize every drop. I wear it every day, usually with a Loreal or MakeupForever powder and it lasts at least six months. Has never made my middle aged peri meno skin break out, unlike other products loaded with silicone derivatives. Love it and hope it is never discontinued. Switched from a Clinique product I'd been using for 20 years and couldn't be happier. If you don't need heavy coverage give it a try. Bet you'll love it, too.

Update on 11/28/2014: Found that now the Kohl's stores with the higher end makeup carry Cargo. Unfortunately, Cargo changed the formula and in doing so the colors have totally changed. What was F30 and perfect for my complexion is now at least 3 levels darker and has a VERY orange undertone. The two lighter shades are also much more yellow/orange. I've called and emailed Cargo customer service but never got a reply. I understand from reading comments on various sites that they removed the parabens (a preservative) and in doing so all of the colors have changed. Back to Clinique.

The Republic Of Tea Ginger Peach Decaf Tea 250 Teabags
The Republic Of Tea Ginger Peach Decaf Tea 250 Teabags

5.0 out of 5 stars Since it's pretty expensive for iced tea I use 1/2 quantity of ..., August 8, 2014
This is the most delicious peach tea I've ever had. I actually crave it, iced in summer and hot in winter. Since it's pretty expensive for iced tea I use 1/2 quantity of this and 1/2 of a generic black decaf store brand. Still refreshing any time of day. It is peachy more than gingery to me, flavorful and delicious without any added sweetener ( I don't care for sweet tea). Wish they made quart sized tea bags so I could use fewer. Love it and while pricy I consider it a small splurge that makes me happy. It keeps me from drinking diet soda so it's totally worth the price.

Hankook A3F(On) Peeling Gel
Hankook A3F(On) Peeling Gel
Offered by Daybeauty
Price: $37.90
8 used & new from $29.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Product - Nothing Else Like It, January 5, 2014
I first found this product at a local Korean skin care boutique. The salesperson demonstrated it on the back of my hand and I was so impressed I bought it then and there. This gel is a carrier for an extremely fine textured physical exfoliant. I use Retin A on my face which causes dry skin, especially in the winter months. This product is the only one I've found that gently removes the dry bits that are ready to come off. I use it in the shower on a wet face. Since I use Retin A I am quite gentle in how I use this product. After my shower, while my face is still damp I apply my other facial treatments. If I'm just going to go to sleep I find that a thin layer of 98% pure aloe gel is very soothing. For that I use a product by White Organia Good Nature, which is even good under makeup and is also available on Amazon.

This product is also excellent for the rough bits on elbows, knees, etc., but is a bit expensive for me to use it there so unless it's a special occasion, I stick to using Amlactin lotion for those areas.

Cure Natural Aqua Gel 250ml - Best selling exfoliator in Japan!
Cure Natural Aqua Gel 250ml - Best selling exfoliator in Japan!
Offered by University Books1 & Cosmetics
Price: $27.00
75 used & new from $24.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Just OK - Better Product Available, January 5, 2014
First, a little background to give you perspective. I am a 51 year old woman with combination skin and a very fair complexion. I have near to no wrinkles due to a lifetime of using Retin A and wearing sunscreen as if it were a religious requirement. As I'm experiencing hormonal changes my T-zone has been breaking out, particularly with blackheads on my nose. I've stepped up the strength of the Retin A I use just on my nose. This has helped, but causes the skin to dry and peel. I have been using Hankook A3F[on] Turn Again Peeling Gel 28.3, available on this site, to gently remove the dry top layer as it is ready to come off. The Hankook product is much more effective for my skin and with just using it a couple of times per week. It has very fine micro-beads that the Cure product doesn't have.

I bought the Cure product because of all the great reviews. As other reviewers have mentioned, you must use the Cure product on dry skin to feel any effect at all. For me, it just feels as if it is the product itself balling up and not my dry skin. That said, perhaps my skin feels just a smidge softer after using it so I will finish it up, but I won't be reordering this product. In general, I have found the skin care products made in Korea to be superior to those made elsewhere. We have a Korean market with a skin care boutique where you can try things out and they will also give samples. This is where I first bought the Hankook product and then order more from Amazon. The shop is called "Missy" and it is inside of my SuperHMart grocery store.

Avoloop Combo Pack
Avoloop Combo Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Kitchen Tool, January 4, 2014
This review is from: Avoloop Combo Pack
Full disclosure, I know the inventor of the Avoloop and bought (yes, I paid for them :) several directly long before they were available nationwide. I've kept two and given the others as gifts. Everyone enjoys using it as a safer alternative to a knife for so many things, but especially on avocado and mango. I am an experienced cook, with advanced knife wielding skills and not prone to purchasing "gadgets, and I still find the Avoloop a handy addition to my kitchen.

Here are a few things I use it for on a regular basis:

Seeding papaya
Seeding cucumbers for stuffing
Cleaning bell peppers
Cleaning beefsteak tomatoes for stuffing
Seeding and peeling cantaloupe, honeydew, any other melon
Separating the "goop" inside a pumpkin from the side walls of the beast making scooping out the guts a breeze

If you cringe every time you try to extract the flesh from an avocado and just avoid fresh mango all together because of the difficulty in preparation, splurge and get yourself an Avoloop.

Kid friendly and you won't need a trip to the ER to stitch up any fingers!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Kitchen Tool, January 4, 2014

Here are a few things I use it for on a regular basis:

Seeding papaya
Seeding cucumbers for stuffing
Cleaning bell peppers
Cleaning beefsteak tomatoes for stuffing
Seeding and peeling cantaloupe, honeydew, any other melon

Kid friendly and you won't need a trip to the ER to stitch up any fingers!

1000ct Large T-shirts Carry-out Thank You Bags 11.5" X 6.25" X 21" 13micron .51mil Plastic Grocery Thank You
Offered by RokBuy
Price: $34.88
5 used & new from $19.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Careful or the contents will fall right through the bottom, December 7, 2013
I use these for the daily scooping of the kitty litter box. I bought them because my big box store stopped carrying 1,000 count boxes of t-shirt bags. I use fabric bags for groceries so need something for used litter. These bags are just a smidge smaller than I would like, small enough that they don't stay up when I put one in the small trash can I use to deposit the, well, deposits. The plastic is also much, much thinner than those you would even get at the grocery store. I can't imagine a merchant using these for goods or take out food. Anything remotely heavy or with corners, like a take out Chinese delivery box, would fall right through. I have resorted to using two at a time to prevent the bottom falling out and dumping used litter all over the floor. Will look for something stronger and larger next time. Not a good purchase for my use.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 3, 2014 6:18 AM PDT

Practical Duct Tape Projects
Practical Duct Tape Projects

1.0 out of 5 stars Get an editor, stat!, November 19, 2013
Wow, I couldn't even stand to read this book. I appreciate the effort expended by the young author, however the copious misspellings and wrong word tenses used made it impossible to read.

FingerPaints Soak-Off Gel Polish Starter Kit
FingerPaints Soak-Off Gel Polish Starter Kit
Offered by Sally Beauty Supply
Price: $47.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Watch Out - Very Difficult to Remove & Color's Are Too Youthful, March 25, 2013
I am an experienced gel polish user. I typically use CND Shellac polish. I saw the FingerPaints gel polish at Sally's and bought the base coat, two bottles of color, and the top coat. The base coat went on easily, very much like CND. The color coat (what I thought was going to be a frosted pink) turned out to be a pink filled with very sparkly glitter. The lighter pink I bought also had an excessive amount of glitter (neither of which was apparent from their color swatches in the literature or the color wrap on the bottles). It took three coats to be opaque. Ok, I finished that and put on the top coat and did the final cure. The color looked like something a 12 year old would love. Certainly not something for this 50ish woman. I thought, no big deal, I'll just soak it off like I do CND. I tried to soak it in a bowl of acetone, like I do with CND, but after 10 minutes the polish wouldn't budge. Following their directions, I wrapped each finger with a piece of cotton soaked in acetone and secured to the individual finger with foil. Even after 15 minutes more this stuff required excessive scraping, buffing and then peeling with my nails to get it all off. No thank you! I have natural nails and would like to keep them. Back to the store tomorrow. CND is more expensive, but much more gentle on your nails.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 23, 2013 7:34 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4