Profile for Gideon Griebenow > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Gideon Griebenow RSS Feed (Potchefstroom, Northwest South Africa)

The Green Mile / The Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile / The Shawshank Redemption
DVD ~ Tim Robbins

5.0 out of 5 stars Book or Movie?, May 20, 2004
I haven't actually experienced the DVDs, so I can't comment on it specifically, but hear me out. Also, these two are *always* thought of together, so here goes: I've watched both The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile more than once before reading the books. If I *have to* pick one movie as my all-time favourite, it would be The Shawshank Redemption. The book is really brilliant, but I'm of the opinion that the movie did the unthinkable and actually improved on it. In my mind, the situation is reversed when it comes to The Green Mile. Although the movie is really brilliant, the book is better. Maybe the reason is that The Green Mile doesn't get the words and ideas as Stephen King uses them into the movie as exceptionally successful as The Shawshank Redemption. Still, both of them are worth every dollar and every minute (and I'm able to say this even after seeing Shawshank about 8 times and Green Mile more than 3)!

The Shawshank Redemption
The Shawshank Redemption
DVD ~ Tim Robbins
Offered by santa clara books
Price: $18.34
282 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Book or Movie?, May 18, 2004
This review is from: The Shawshank Redemption (DVD)

The Green Mile
The Green Mile
DVD ~ Tom Hanks
Offered by Solo Enterprises
Price: $9.99
404 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Book or Movie?, May 18, 2004
This review is from: The Green Mile (DVD)
I haven't actually experienced the DVDs, so I can't comment on it specifically, but hear me out. Also, these two are *always* thought of together, so here goes: I've watched both The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile more than once before reading the books. If I *have to* pick one movie as my all-time favourite, it would be The Shawshank Redemption. The book is really brilliant, but I'm of the opinion that the movie did the unthinkable and actually improved on it. In my mind, the situation is reversed when it comes to The Green Mile. Although the movie is really brilliant, the book is better. Maybe the reason is that The Green Mile doesn't get the words and ideas as Stephen King uses them into the movie as exceptionally successful as The Shawshank Redemption. Still, it's worth every dollar and every minute.

Bon Jovi - This Left Feels Right - Live (Limited Edition)
Bon Jovi - This Left Feels Right - Live (Limited Edition)
DVD ~ Bon Jovi
28 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Ballads?!, May 11, 2004
I don't know about you, but to me Bon Jovi's always been a guy that puts a lot of energy into his songs, to the point of forcing you to sing along until you're breathless. If you've enjoyed doing that as much as I have, and love Bon Jovi for being one of the few artists to achieve this successfully, you will be almost disgusted by some of these songs - sure the ladies will go all swooney. OK, maybe that's a bit harsh. I'll be the first to acknowledge that I'm not the Die Hard Fan most of you are, who owns 10 Bon Jovi CD's and calls them "My Favorite", but hear me out.
I've always thought it would have been a, well, breathless, experience to witness "Bad Medicine" live, but take that singing-yourself-breathless out of it and what have you got left? Something that, in my mind, should be left to other artists. The ballads never were my favorite, but if they were yours you should prabably ignore this review, and you'll LOVE this DVD (read up on the other reviews that deals with this). I haven't watched the bonus disc yet (there's some stuff that true fans will love), and this surely isn't all there is to say for the DVD, but to me personally it's the most sapient characteristic.

The Guitar Style of Mark Knopfler (Guitar Signature Licks)
The Guitar Style of Mark Knopfler (Guitar Signature Licks)
by Wolf Marshall
Price: $18.63
45 used & new from $8.27

5.0 out of 5 stars This book and CD has opened up Mark's music for me, January 12, 2003
I've only spent about 6 hours with this book and CD, but I know I'm going to get TOP value for my money. I would actually call myself a "beginner" - I started playing accoustic less than 4 years ago, but have had no formal training at all - picking up bits and pieces as I go along - and time for practising is always too little. I decided to buy an electric guitar, and this is the first time I'm really utilising it - i.e. playing something that doesn't belong on the old accoustic. I'm a great fan of Mark Knopfler's music, and I cannot describe the feeling of playing the intro and first verse of Sultans of Swing together with the great man after about 4 hours of practising! I have only paged through the rest of the book, but from what I've seen and heard, this book and CD is spot-on. The CD itself, with "backtrack" on one channel and guitar on the other (which makes it easy to separate), as well as slowed down tracks, is brilliant! Yes, the songs are very complicated, and I know this book is going to keep me practicing for years to come, but it will be worth it!