Profile for R. Nicholson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1095

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. Nicholson RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Swarm - A Zombie Series (Book #1)
Swarm - A Zombie Series (Book #1)
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars "Swarm"... an intriguing beginning to a new zombie apocalypse series... 4 1/2 Stars, May 2, 2015
"Swarm - A Zombie Series" is book 1 of a new serial by author Alex South. This Kindle e-book was approximately 208 printed pages and was free at time of writing this review.

Please Note: I was provided with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

General Theme (minor spoilers)

For some unknown reason a zombie apocalypse begins, forcing a small group of survivors to fight for their very lives to prevent themselves from becoming part of this infestation.

Some thoughts on "Swarm"...

1.) a typical zombie apocalypse plot... nothing really new here.

2.a) the main character (John) was well developed. A great deal of time was given to personalizing his innermost anxieties, hopes and fears.
2.b) the author has thrown together an interesting assortment of personalities that should lead to intriguing situations in future installments.

3.) several prolonged and intense encounters. I thought these sections featured the best writing in the book.

4.) there were a few 'slow' areas that were maybe a little drawn out.

5.) cover art... reminds me of something out of a Marvel Comic collection. Somehow it just didn't fit with the story being told.

Impressions:
A zombie tale the reminded me a typical "The Walking Dead" episode... some intense action interspersed with periods of personal introspection and soul searching.

The first few chapters left me a little unsure of the quality of this tale, but I liked this tale more and more as I gradually proceeded towards the end.

I look forward to the second book.

As it is... 4 1/2 Stars.

Contact Us: A Jake Corby Sci-Fi Thriller
Contact Us: A Jake Corby Sci-Fi Thriller
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars "Contact Us"... a strange, fun filled, sci-fi romp... 4 Stars, May 1, 2015
Contact Us: A Jake Corby Sci-Fi Thriller by author Al Macy. This Kindle e-book was approximately 289 printed pages and sold for $.99 at time of writing this review.

General Theme (minor spoilers)

An hostile alien presence makes contact with Earth... but with results quite different than anyone might have expected.

Some thoughts on "Contact Us"...

I thought the opening for this book was one of the most interesting and unique that I have read in a long time. I was fascinated with the concept and the originality of the idea.
However my hopes for a serious thriller started to wane somewhat as I approached the first third of the book. It was at about this point that I realized that the impending world crisis instigated by a strange alien attack was in fact, being replaced by a somewhat tongue in cheek, James Bond-like, over the top sci-fi adventure. Add on the this a budding, reluctant romance and some novelty side stories and your left with tale that turned into something akin to a Marvel Comic feature film.
And really, nothing wrong with this as there were some very good moments in this book. In addition there was a sprinkling of humor throughout and I enjoyed, in particular, the brief encounters with Cronkite's character.

Of course this is author Macy's book to write as he sees fit, but somewhere deep inside of me I feel that this was a fabulous, original opening that might have been better done by. An opportunity lost to pen that killer thriller that might have very well made it to the big screen. And it still might, but just maybe with a less serious, less horror-leaning tale then I had originally envisioned.

I liked the tale, the humor and I really liked the character, Cronkite. I think many readers will truly enjoyed this sci-fi lite tale.

As it is... 4 Stars.

@ralannicholson

MYDEAL Outdoor Bluetooth Beanie Hat Cap Headphone Stereo Speakers & Mic Hands Free for Valentine's Day Gifts Black
Offered by MYDEAL2015
Price: $29.98
2 used & new from $23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A cooler weather cap with Bluetooth stereo speakers... a great feature, reasonably priced... 5 Stars, April 30, 2015
A review of the "MYDEAL Outdoor Bluetooth Beanie Hat Cap Headphone Stereo Speakers"
This device is available from MYDEAL2015 (fulfilled by Amazon).

Please Note: I was provided with a free device for the purpose of writing an honest review.

In the package:
1 x Bluetooth Beanie
1 x micro/USB cable
1 x instruction manual

Some thoughts on the "Rotibox Outdoor Bluetooth Beanie"...

1.a) made from a double layer of knit material that is comfortably warm on the head and is at the same time, 'breathable'.
1.b) the material tends to stretch or contract to fit your head shape (within reason of course). I have a large head and this beanie was very comfortable to wear.

2.) paired very easily with both my IPhone and IPad mini. Pressed the play/pause button for five seconds; the LED light flash red and blue. Then went to settings>bluetooth on my IPhone and it paired almost immediately

3.) Buttons... on the side. I found the putting my finger on the right spot while walking was initially tricky but became second nature very quickly.
a.) the play/pause allows you to do just that, but in addition it has a hidden microphone in the patch that allows you to make calls (through Siri on my IPhone), answer phone calls or even redial the last number called.
b.) the - and + buttons allow you to control volume (long press) or skip ahead or go back with a short press.

4.) washability... the beanie has a zipper pouch on the inside which when opened, will allow easy removal of both right and left speakers.

5.) comes in a variety of colors

6.) sound... exceedingly good. Rich midsections and a better bass than I expected or could have possibly hoped for.

7.) an instruction manual that covers all aspects of its function and is easily understandable.

8.) recharges with a micro/USB cable (provided)

Impressions:

I was somewhat skeptical about this product UNTIL I tried it. Warm, comfortable without excess heat retention and terrific sound.
A great piece of apparel combined with an audio device and is reasonably priced.

@ralannicholson

Mydeal Athletic Series - Lightweight Wireless Sports Bluetooth Headset - CSR Chip V4.0 With Noise Cancelling - Wireless Stereo Speaker - Premium Sweatproof Secure Fit For Sports In-Ear Headphone [Running / Gym / Exercise / Fitness /Jogging ] - Sport Bluetooth Headphones Earbuds Earphone with AptX,Microphone Hands-free Calling For iPhone 6,6 plus,5,5s,5c,4,4s,ipad 4,3,2,iPad Air Mini 3 2,iPod,Samsung Galaxy S6,S5,S4,S3,Galaxy Note 4,3,LG G2 G3,and other Android Cell Phones Black/Green
Offered by MYDEAL2015

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Bluetooth headphones... 5 Stars, April 29, 2015
Rotibox Athletic Series - Lightweight Bluetooth Headset Headphone
This device is available from MyDeal.

In the package

1.) bluetooth headset (bluish color)
2.) Micro/USB charging cables
3.) two sets of ear cushions and wings
4.) soft material storage/carrying case
5.) instruction manual

Some thoughts on the "Rotibox Bluetooth Headset"...

The Pros:
1.) arrived securely and professionally packaged. The device itself was lightweight and had a colorful, attractive appearance (well I guess as about attractive as bluetooth earbuds can be... lol)

2.) paired easily with both my IPad and IPhone. They can connect to two bluetooth devices without having to 'forget' one device before using on it on the other.

3.) Buttons
a.) 'q' button (the colored 'swoosh' mark on the flat surface of the right earbud) for off/on, pairing and to answer/make calls
b.) + and - allow for volume control and skip/back track

4.) range... the booklet says about 10 meters... I got about 12-14 meters before breakup. I found I could carry my IPhone anywhere on my body without breakup. I mention this because this was not the case with some other bluetooth earbuds from other manufacturers.

5.) ear fit... I'm not a runner so I can't attest to their ability to stay in your ear with vigorous activity, BUT I had no problem with them coming off/out with normal walking.

6.) easily charged with the Micro/USB cable (provided) inserted into the right earbud slot.

7.) I was able to answer and make calls through these earbuds using 'q' button. There was a slight delay in transmission, but the voice quality was loud enough and not distorted.

8.) and finally, music quality. I thought it had a very acceptable mid and high range, and the bass was very good... in fact, better than I expected.

Concerns:
1.) I had some initial confusion caused by the instruction manual. It indicated that off/on and pairing was done with the use of the 'q' button, but this 'q' button was not illustrated in the picture found in the manual. It was only after reading another persons review did I discover where this elusive 'q' was. Obvious now, but at the time somewhat frustrating as I could not turn this unit off.

2.) the 'q' button on the right earbud is very flat and smooth, so using it with your fingers while walking/jogging etc. may be somewhat of a challenge.

Impressions:
Overall a very good set of bluetooth earbuds... comfortable, decent range and very acceptable quality of sound for both music and voice. All at a very good price.

@ralannicholson

Rotibox Athletic Series - Lightweight Bluetooth Headset Headphone - CSR Chip V4.0 - Wireless Stereo Speaker - Premium Sweatproof Secure Fit For Sports In-Ear Headphone [Running / Gym / Exercise/ Fitness/Jogging ]- Sport Bluetooth Headphones Earbuds Earphone with AptX,Mic Hands-free Calling for iphone 6, 6 Plus, 5 5c 5s, 4 4s, ipad Mini Air, iPod,LG G2, Samsung Galaxy Note4 Note3 S5 S4 S3 and Other Android Cell Phones Black/Blue
Offered by MYROTI
Price: $49.99
2 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The "Rotibox Bluetooth Headset"... the Pros and Cons... 5 Stars, April 29, 2015
Rotibox Athletic Series - Lightweight Bluetooth Headset Headphone
This device is available from MYROTI (fulfilled by Amazon).

In the package

1.) bluetooth headset (bluish color)
2.) Micro/USB charging cables
3.) two sets of ear cushions and wings
4.) soft material storage/carrying case
5.) instruction manual

Some thoughts on the "Rotibox Bluetooth Headset"...

3.) Buttons
b.) + and - allow for volume control and skip/back track

Concerns:

Comment Comment | Permalink

Rotibox 7-hi Outdoor Bluetooth Beanie - Washable Wireless Hat Cap with Built-in Stereo Speakers - Sports/running Skiing Skating Hiking & Gym/exercise Fitness & Lifestyle/walking Working Out Travelling - Speakerphone - Bluetooth Headphones Headsets Earphone W/microphone Hands Free Phone Calls for Iphone 6, 6 Plus, 5s 5c 4s 4, Ipad 2 3 4 New Ipad Air, Ipad Mini, Ipod, Android, Samsung Galaxy Note4 S5 S4, Htc, Lg, Nokia, Blackberry, Sony, Motorola, Smart Phones Bluetooth Devices for Valentine's Day Gifts Black
Offered by MYROTI
Price: $31.95
5 used & new from $18.95

5.0 out of 5 stars The "Rotibox Bluetooth Beanie"... a perfect bluetooth music device for walks/jogs on those cooler days... 5 Stars, April 28, 2015
A review of the "Rotibox Outdoor Bluetooth Beanie - Washable Wireless Hat Cap with Built-in Stereo Speakers"
This device is available from MYROTI (fulfilled by Amazon).

In the package:
1 x Bluetooth Beanie
1 x micro/USB cable
1 x instruction manual

Some thoughts on the "Rotibox Outdoor Bluetooth Beanie"...

5.) comes in a variety of colors

8.) recharges with a micro/USB cable (provided)

Impressions:

An outstanding product, reasonably priced.

@ralannicholson

Smart Weigh SMS500 Digital Bathroom Scale, High Accuracy, Dual Color Weight Change Detection and Smart Step-On Auto Recognition for 8 Users, Silver
Offered by MeasuRite
Price: $39.64
4 used & new from $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The "Smart Weigh Digital Bathroom Scale... nicely featured and reasonably priced... 5 Stars, April 27, 2015
Color Name: Silver
The "Smart Weigh SMS500 Digital Bathroom Scale, High Accuracy, Dual Color Weight Change Detection and Smart Step-On Auto Recognition for 8 Users (Silver)"

This device is available from Amazon and was priced at $39.99 at the time of writing this review.

In the Box:

Size (LWD) 12.6 inches x 12.6 inches x .75 inches
Weight... 4.4 lbs

Capacity:
440 lb or 200 kg

Some thoughts on "Smart Weigh SMS500 Digital Bathroom Scale"...

1.) it arrived securely and professionally packaged.

2. it has an attractive high polished, silver finish.

3.) can automatically tract up to 8 different peoples' weight. And has a way of keeping two people, with nearly the same weight, differentiated.

4.) Once you calibrate it with your own weight the first time, it will display your subsequent weight in a new color... green for a decrease in wt: red for an increase.

5.) the LCD readout is large enough and bright enough to be easily seen.

6.a) the platform size is approximately a foot square, allowing enough space to stand on comfortably.
6.b) the unit is quite slim (3/4 inch) thick, so storing this unit should not be a problem when not in use.

Impressions:
The Smart Weigh Digital Bathroom Scale worked well in every way, meeting or exceeding my expectations. My inital weight reading appeared to be very accurate compared to my known previous weight.
I can imagine the color coding (green or red) of subsequent weighings will have a definitive effect on my ability to keep my weight in check... lol.

D.E.M.: Deus Ex Machina
D.E.M.: Deus Ex Machina
Price: $5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars "D.E.M.: Deus Ex Machina"... the Pros and Cons... 2 1/2 Stars, April 27, 2015
D.E.M.: Deus Ex Machina is a techno thriller by author Lee Ness.

This Kindle e-book was approximately 339 printed pages and sold for $5.99 at time of writing this review.

Please Note: I was provided with a free copy of this book for the purpose of writing an honest review.

General Theme (minor spoilers)...

Rachel and Cam, two computer geeks, find themselves thrown into the world of computer hacking that results in some staggering international implications.

Some thoughts on "D.E.M."...

The Pros:
1.) a potentially interesting, story line.

2.) a plot that has much deeper implications than it initially appears.

3.) an element of young romance.

4.) some intense action, especially towards the end.

5.) cover art... a beautiful and eye catching image.

The Cons:
1.) I thought of the main characters were 'immature' in both actions and most conversations

2.) I never really understood how Rachel help the missing boy at the beginning.

3.) constant sexual innuendoes dialogue throughout the entire book... became somewhat tiresome after a while.

4.) the 'unknown' element was fairly obvious from the start.

Impressions:
While this book tweaked my interests at the beginning, it did not live up to my expectations as I progressed through it. Mainly because of the immature characters and the constant sexual bantering theme that seemed to intrude into nearly all conversations. I ended up skimming much of this book simply for these reasons.

This book may appeal to a younger audience.

As it is... 2 1/2 Stars.

The Demon Stone
The Demon Stone
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars "The Demon Stone"... the Pros and Cons... 3 1/2 Stars, April 25, 2015
This review is from: The Demon Stone (Kindle Edition)
"The Demon Stone" is a horror thriller by author Christopher Datta. This Kindle ebook is approximately 282 pages long and sold for $2.99 at the time of writing this review.

General theme (minor spoilers)

Kevin Houdek goes to Africa at the request of his old high school friend (and now MD), Bill Marsh. After a series of events he returns home with a strange and mysterious artifact. Little does he know the change this relic is about to bring to his life.

Some thoughts on "The Demon Stone"...

The Pros:
1.) well written and edited. Easy to read prose with few if any, grammatical mistakes.

2.) an unrelenting dark, sinister and foreboding tale. I suppose this might be considered a Con as well, by some readers.

3.) the author spend a lot of time and effort on character development.

4.) the edgy and spooky atmosphere towards the later part of this tale was exceptionally well done.

5.) a definitive conclusion.

The Cons:
1.) graphic descriptions of some atrocities involving torture and maiming (especially of children) that I personally found hard to endure. Some sensitive readers may be disturbed by some material found here.
2.a) the stress placed on character development resulted in some extended periods of inaction.
2.b) I found some of the conversations between characters somewhat repetitious.

Impression:

While I thought this novel was overall, well done, I must admit I didn't really enjoy it. To be honest, horror is not my favorite genre, I don't mind it's when part of, let's say, a fantasy setting. But horror with a backdrop of mutilations and violence against women, children and humanity in general, is something I don't need... you can get that with most evening news broadcasts.
So, how to rate it? In general, the writing was good... just some areas of subject matter with which I have a personal problem. But having said that, if you don't enjoy a book, for any reason, how do you give it five Stars.

So, as it is... 3 1/2 Stars

Shadow's Fire: A Chance Beginning: Book One of the Shadow's Fire Trilogy
Shadow's Fire: A Chance Beginning: Book One of the Shadow's Fire Trilogy
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars "Shadow's Fire"... an outstanding beginning for this fantasy adventure trilogy... 5 Stars, April 18, 2015
"Shadow's Fire: A Chance Beginning" is the first book in the 'Shadow's Fire Trilogy' by author Christopher Patterson. This Kindle e-book was approximately 340 printed pages and sold for $2.99 at time of writing this review.

General Theme (minor spoilers)

Three young men, two brothers (Erik and Befel) and a cousin (Byron), are tired of the dull, repetitive and hard existence associated with work on their father's farm. Being young and naive they decide to sneak away to try their luck at one of the far away, larger towns/cities. But life in the city is no better than the farm, as far as making their fame and fortune, so they sign on a gypsy caravan to take them to a different locale... thus begins their strange tale, detailing some of the people and events that will change their lives forever.

some thoughts on "Shadow's Fire"...

The Pros:
1.) well written and edited. The prose was a pleasure to read and comprehend and I don't think I found any spelling or grammatical errors.

2.) characters... the author spent a lot of time and energy in developing our three heroes. All have different personalities and traits with whom the reader can either empathize with or, on occasion, find to be extremely frustrating.

3.) maps... several very basic maps found at the beginning of the book... spread out in a fashion so that where one map ends, the next begins.
A great addition to this tale due to the extensive travel, helping the reader with distance, direction and topography.

4.) encounters and battles... several, all of which were intense and graphically described. I thought these areas featured some of the best descriptive passages in the book.

5.) a satisfactory ending that left a few loose ends that will make for interesting developments in the second book.

6.) although the story features three young protagonist, I'd classify this book in the Adult fantasy genre.

The Cons:
1.a) a somewhat slow and dragged-out beginning (imho). If it wasn't for the exceptional quality of the writing I may have given up on this book early on. (glad I didn't as this turned out to be a fascinating tale).
1.b) while I realize this plot was character driven, I still found there were several areas in the book that seemed overly drawn out. e.g. the drinking scene with Erik and Rory, where the main idea was for Erik to discover some info about 'the messenger'.
A personal, subjective opinion on my part... others will likely disagree.

Impressions:
An outstanding book that's separated from most other books in its genre by Patterson's skill in story-telling and the quality of his prose.
My only minor complaint, as mentioned above, was the few slow and maybe dragged out areas.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20