Profile for Roger N. Overton > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 127

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Roger N. Overton RSS Feed (La Mirada, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Frigidaire Professional 10-Cup Fuzzy Logic Rice Cooker, 11 Cooking Settings with Stainless Steel
Price: $118.73

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but a great cooker, January 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Summary:
Pros-
- Great size pot
- Lots of great settings and features
- Useful handle
Cons-
- Doesn’t provide an easy way to get the vegetable tray out
- Takes too long to calculate cooking time
- Instructions can be misleading.
This unit quickly became a part of our kitchen. Though it is a bit large due to how much it can cook, it doesn’t seem much bigger than most rice cookers. As advertised, it does rice, veggies, soups, etc. We’ve done rice, veggies, and pot stickers and they’ve all turned out great with one exception.
The first time I used the unit to steam vegetables I followed the instructions, which seemed to indicate 1 hour steaming time (the default). Since it was my first time steaming veggies, I didn’t know better, and they didn’t turn out too well. However, all subsequent attempts have been great setting it at shorter times.
We usually steam rice along with veggies or pot stickers in the top tray. It all turns out excellent. The hitch is that there’s no easy way to get the steaming tray out of the pot. This is especially a problem if you want to get rice first on your plate and then put the veggies on top. It would also be helpful if the steaming tray had some pegs to stand on. The other issue is that when it automatically calculates cooking time it starts steaming before the timer starts. So there’s no way to tell when it actually starts cooking if you only want your veggies in for a specific amount of time.
Though there is definite room for improvement, we have enjoyed and recommend this item.

Black and Decker PB1002N Fusion Blade Personal Blender
Black and Decker PB1002N Fusion Blade Personal Blender
Price: $29.99
4 used & new from $29.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, poor product, January 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Unfortunately, my experience with this blender was not as great as everyone else’s. I like the idea of this one: it’s simple, compact, and a decent serving size. It comes with good instructions and a helpful guide for the order ingredients should go in.
However, there were two significant problems with my blender:
1) It leaks. Even with the blade section screwed on tight, liquid found a way out through the blade.
2) It’s not strong enough: I blend ice and frozen fruit (pineapples and strawberries) for smoothies. The blender could blend through the materials, but it started smoking toward the end of the job.

Hardware House 64-4567 Contractor Pack Roller Catch, Brown, 10-Pack
Hardware House 64-4567 Contractor Pack Roller Catch, Brown, 10-Pack
Price: $9.55
2 used & new from $9.55

1.0 out of 5 stars Clay screws?, December 30, 2014
Worst screws ever. I've purchased a similar product from Lowe's and the screws have snapped a couple of times. I figured I'd order these and take my chances. Unfortunately these were even worse than the ones from Lowe's. Half the screws I tried snapped when trying to install them.

I haven't had any problems with these latches themselves, but plenty of problems trying to install them with the screws provided.

Escape from the Lizzarks (Nnewts)
Escape from the Lizzarks (Nnewts)
by Doug TenNapel
Price: $15.92
53 used & new from $11.92

5.0 out of 5 stars An Artful New Beginning, December 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Nnewts is the first in a new series of graphic novels by Doug TenNapel. It tells the story of a young nnewt, Herk, who becomes orphaned when his village is attacked and parents killed. While fleeing for his life he meets mythic figures who impart to him stronger legs. The book ends with Herk finding refuge in a foreign city, setting up the rest of the series.

Like much of his previous work, the artwork is superb. But what really makes TenNapel's work stand out is how he develops multiple themes throughout the plot. Though there is action, humor, and mythology, TenNapel also engages spirituality, poetry, and family dynamics. There is a beautiful sequence of Herk's parents finding each other's souls in the afterlife where they move on to better things. Even nnewts, it appears, were made for a better world.

The publisher is marketing this book for children ages 8-12 and I see some reviewers have described it as "gruesome" or "dark." The reality is that every kid is different and parents are in the best position to judge what's best for their children. This is far less gruesome or dark than Harry Potter, so if your child has read or watched any of those stories, then there is nothing to worry about with Nnewts.

The only downside for this book is that as the first in a series it feels incomplete. Readers must wait until 2016 to find out what happens next to Herk and the race of Nnewts.

Clara Clark Rayon made from Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow, Queen Size
Clara Clark Rayon made from Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow, Queen Size
Offered by zone27
Price: $26.00
5 used & new from $19.08

2.0 out of 5 stars Stinkiest pillow ever, December 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Pros:
The first night I used the pillow it was great. It was one of the more comfortable pillows I've used.

Cons:
- The major problem with this pillow is the incredibly strong stench. It smells like chemicals. I was able to put up with it to try it one night while I was on the road alone, but my wife wouldn't tolerate it at home.
- The pillow has washing instructions- cold wash, low heat dry. I did this twice and it did significantly reduce the smell. However, the process enlarged the pillow significantly. I tried using it again and it was no longer comfortable.

CANON PIXMA iP110 Wireless Mobile Printer With Airprint(TM) And Cloud Compatible
Price: $169.00
14 used & new from $141.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for certain uses, December 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The good:
- Once you get it set up, it quickly provides a quality print job.
- After initial setup, I was able to print easily and quickly from my Samsung Galaxy 4. It's pretty cool to print from a phone.

The bad:
- Setup is a pain. The box says a USB cable is not included, but fails to mention that you need one to set up the printer on a network.
- Instructions are included only for installing the print-head, ink, and printing the alignment page. Software instructions must be viewed online. Even then, it's difficult to find the instructions you need for a particular task (like setting the printer up on a LAN)
- Take this for what its worth since I'm not a Mac guy, but I tried to set this up on my wife's Macbook and could not do it. I could get it to print a test page, but could not print any documents or webpages. After almost two hours I gave up
- I've only printed a couple of documents, so this is just a hunch, but given the size of the ink cartridges, I would guess that the ink runs out quickly.
- It does require being plugged into a power socket- there is no chargeable battery. So it's only useably mobile as long as you're near power.

Holmes Group HAP1702-TU Allergen Air Purifier, Large
Holmes Group HAP1702-TU Allergen Air Purifier, Large
Price: $128.88
3 used & new from $128.88

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, December 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I’ve struggled with allergies all of my life, especially morning allergies. Adding a dog to the house this past year hasn’t helped. Unfortunately, neither did this air purifier. Instead of making things better, I woke up with intolerable congestion, sneezing, and sinus headaches after the nights I left it running. I tried the unit on three separate occasions to confirm that it was the cause of my problems.

Apart from not doing what it’s supposed to do, I also experienced difficulty getting the filters in correctly as others have noted. The Velcro strips for the carbon filters don’t hold them in place and the door is difficult to secure. It didn’t bother me as much as it might others, but the unit is a bit loud.

The only reason I give it two stars instead of one is that the settings provide some nice options. You can either keep it running, or select different time settings. It also has an automatic setting to determine at what level it needs to run at to clean your air.

Clearblue Digital Pregnancy Test with Smart Countdown, 3 Count (Packaging May Vary)
Offered by Quidsi Retail LLC
Price: $15.99
12 used & new from $11.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful Digital Results, September 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
[Written by The Wife] I like to keep a few of these around "just in case." I've used them a few times and they've always been accurate. I like that it has the digital reader so it's clear what the result is. I've used the colored bars before and those often seem vague. This one is much more straight forward. It provides an ease of mind when you're wondering.

Swiffer WetJet Spray, Mop Floor Cleaner Starter Kit (Packaging May Vary)
Swiffer WetJet Spray, Mop Floor Cleaner Starter Kit (Packaging May Vary)
Price: $18.59
51 used & new from $18.59

4.0 out of 5 stars The Lazy Mopper, September 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As someone who is not a big fan of cleaning and, more specifically, mopping, this is a good product for my needs. With this thing in hand I will actually mop the floors occasionally instead of my usual never. It's less of a hassle and physically demanding than other mop options. And the range on that squirter dealy is pretty darn good. I had the whole thing together in under a minute from out of the package--very easy to put together. Sadly though, the starter box here only comes with two cleaning pads. After one or two uses you'll instantly need to buy more. This can, of course, get expensive. As others have done, I may look at investing in a less costly, reusable cleaning pad option I can fit to the mop head. Another way this can get pricey fast is with the bottles of cleaning solution. Again, others have found ways around this by refilling the old bottles with their own solution. However, I can't see myself realistically doing that long term. If you're a frequent mopper, this product may turn out too expensive for you in the long run. With my low moppage rate, however, I think I'll do okay.

Corsair Voyager Air 2 Wireless Mobile Storage (1 TB), iOS and Android, Black (CMFAIR-VA2-1000-NA)
Price: $169.99
11 used & new from $119.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A Useful Device with Some Difficulties, September 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Corsair Voyager Air 2 is a handy external drive which can be accessed via Wifi from your phone, laptop, tablet, or computer. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work out of the box- there are a couple of firmware updates to be done before use, each with their own instructions (as far as I could tell, the first update is required and the second is recommended). The instructions are generally straight forward, but a bit vague in places. Once up and running, the device is easy to use. However, when attempting to play video I was greeted with the error “Unable to play video file.” Searching online I found someone else had this problem after updating their firmware, but there was no solution.
In a nutshell-
Pros:
-Small, mobile storage up to 1TB, appears to have decent battery life
-With moderate tech experience, most people should be able to use this easily
-App control of the device is helpful
Cons:
-Numerous obstacles to getting the device running means this isn’t a good device for novices
-I encountered a significant software error (unable to play videos of any format) which could not be solved on my own.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13