Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for C.P.G. > Reviews

Browse

C.P.G.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 120

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C.P.G. RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
The Walk (3D Blu-ray + Blu-ray)
The Walk (3D Blu-ray + Blu-ray)
DVD ~ Benedict Samuel
Price: $17.99
40 used & new from $11.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Exhilarating Melancholy, May 2, 2016
This review is going to be short. I just finished watching The Walk. This film ran me through every possible emotion. One moment I was laughing, the next tears welled up, moments later my heart was in my throat and my stomach was in knots, and by the closing credits I was sobbing.

Yesterday's Gone: SEASONS ONE AND TWO (Episodes 1-12)
Yesterday's Gone: SEASONS ONE AND TWO (Episodes 1-12)
Price: $6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Writing, April 5, 2016
This book is so badly written I couldn't get past the first few chapters. I used Whispersync, so I read as I listened. Right off the bat, within the first few pages, the author wrote, "No people. No cars on the street. Well, none that was moving, anyway". That's right, "none that was moving". Even the narrator read it that way. For those of you who find nothing wrong with the preceding sentence, it should read, "Well, none that were moving, anyway". Then, just a few pages later, "Stanley Train, Ben’s favorite toy, which he carried with him everywhere, including to bed. It was there, just setting on the floor." At least this time the narrator had the good sense to change "setting" to "sitting".

But it's not just the terrible grammar that bothered me. There's a scene where a teenager is trying to make sense of what's going on, talking with a group of people gathered on the street. He says, “I’ve no idea. I woke up, my mom and dad were AWOL. So were both my brothers. I figured they were ... messing with me, but I can’t figure out the angle, plus there’d be no way they’d get the whole neighborhood to play the reindeer games.” Do kids talk like that? "I can't figure out the angle" sounds like something out of the 40s or 50s. And what's with "play the reindeer games"?

Maybe it's just me, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what the last sentence in the following passage means. "Maybe there was an outage in the neighborhood? A sudden chill iced her insides. It wasn’t logical, but it came from the place that keeps its eyes peeled for the stuff logical doesn’t". It actually hurts my brain to read that. Even the narrator sounded lost when he read it.

In a later chapter, another teenager is described as feeling, "a few planets past the moon", when he discovers his entire block is empty. I can only guess what, "a few planets past the moon" means because I sure as hell have never heard that saying before. He then proceeds to go door to door discovering that no one is home. With each person gone, he has a few choice words to express his satisfaction. For the bully he thinks, "Good riddance". For the girl who shunned him, a simple "Bye bye, Josie". For the man who refused to pay him for a job, the thought was, "Sayonara, (swear word)". For his mother, who failed to protect him from a violent stepfather, the authors write, "he was glad she was gone. 'Smell ya later, Mommy'." What strikes me as preposterous about this scene is, this boy had just awoken to find nobody home on his block. Why the heck would he automatically jump to the conclusion that everybody was permanently gone? It makes absolutely no sense at all. This boy then proceeds to enter the house of the girl who shunned him, go through her dirty laundry and perform an obscene act. Really...I'm not making this up.

Then there's a chapter about a man who somehow manages to survive a plane falling out the the sky and crashing into a tree-filled landscape. The authors write, "From what he could see of the cabin, nobody survived other than himself". Every airline crash I've seen pictures of when a plane has fallen from the sky, there's literally nothing left of it, and certainly no survivors. In fact, he witnesses another crash just moments after regaining consciousness, "...another airplane shot by maybe 10 stories from the forest floor, on a sharp dive, soaring past the tree line before disappearing into a deafening explosion just out of sight". I wonder if there were any survivors on that plane, after a "deafening explosion"! Well, he survived and is able to walk away from the wreckage. He also has some unknown way of telling what time it is by the position of the moon..."Judging from the moon’s position, he figured it was around 3 a.m." It's basic astronomy that you can rarely tell the time by the position of the moon in the night sky. After that insult to my intelligence, I couldn't read any more.

This book, and its sequels are apparently hugely successful. They get rave reviews. What does it mean, that such abysmal writing can be so successful? I think it speaks directly to our current culture of kids not learning the basics of proper English and grammar in school. The art of proper writing is disappearing, if not already altogether gone. Texts and emails are filled with misspelled words, all lowercase or all uppercase, and absolutely no punctuation. These are the skills of our future, and apparently, our current writers.

Compare the writing of "Yesterday's Gone", and many of the other current crop of young adult science fiction and horror novels, to the writing of any of the classic sci-fi or horror novels of the 20th century, and it's like comparing a high school essay to Shakespeare. I'm afraid there's nothing that leads me to believe that things will get better any time soon.

Yesterday's Gone: Season One

DVD ~ Samuel L. Jackson
Price: $15.99
56 used & new from $9.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Tarantino Has Jumped the Shark, April 3, 2016
It was bound to happen some time. Tarantino believes his own press so much, he believes he can phone it in and the results will be incredible. Well, The Hateful Eight is incredible. It's incredible because I spent the whole film with my mouth agape and wondering, how the hell could a Tarantino film be this bad? And, where is the NAACP? Why are they not condemning this white man's use of the n word too many times to count? It's as if he got some sort of glee out of using it as many times as he could in 3 hours. What does that say about him?

UPDATE:
I received some comments which I thought I'd add to my original review because I think my replies are important. Here are the comments and my replies...

Fesoferbex says:
The only thing racist I see here is this review. Disgusting. I guess white artists aren't entitled to free speech...I guess they aren't oppressed enough to need a voice or something, right?

C.P.G. says:
Okay. If you're white, go up to an African American and spew the n word as many times as Tarantino did in H8, and then preach about free speech. What...isn't a white person oppressed enough and entitled to free speech enough to retch the n word toward any African American? Why does Tarantino get a free pass? Because he's an artist? Oh really? Why then was Birth of a Nation, which was directed by a white artist, so roundly criticized and protested against by the NAACP, but not a peep about H8. If you're really interested in facts, and not just spouting propaganda and ad hominems, Google "NAACP Hateful 8" and "NAACP Birth of a Nation". Learn something.

W. Brooks says:
So is you main gripe that you don't think it's historically accurate - people didn't actually talk or act that way immediately after the civil war, or do you just not want to acknowledge it and think such things should be filtered through 21st century sensibilities? Personally, I thought the dialogue and open prejudices were, most likely, somewhat accurate for the time. But maybe they were more PC than I realize in 1860/70/

C.P.G. says:
Where the heck did you read that my main gripe was about historical inaccuracy? I have no idea whether or not it's historically accurate and I don't really care how many times the n word was spouted in the 19th century. But sitting in a theater in the 21st century, I felt assaulted by the harangue. Another problem I have is the NAACP's blatant double standard. If Clint Eastwood had directed the exact same film, can anyone honestly say (with a straight face) that he wouldn't have been vilified, excoriated, and labeled a racist by, not only the NAACP, but every liberal website, blog, pundit and left-leaning news organization, in the country? Oh, and one more thing that I guess you could consider my main gripe...H8 is one of the worst films of the year, and the worst Tarantino movie ever!

W. Brooks says:
"But sitting in a theater in the 21st century, I felt assaulted by the harangue. "

You answered my question. If that was, in fact, the way characters with those experiences and prejudices would have talked in 1860 (and I'm not saying it was because I wasn't there), you'd have preferred a 21st century filter applied to the dialogue to make it more palatable in 2016. Personally, I'd rather it be true to the period and grit my teeth at the parts that made me uncomfortable. And I will add that where movies are concerned, not much makes me uncomfortable. They are just movies. No one is forcing anyone to watch anything. I get your point about the double standard though, and I'm not sure why Tarantino gets a pass but someone like Eastwood may not.

C.P.G. says:
I can feel assaulted by the language without wanting, as you put it, a 21st century filter applied to dialogue. I'm simply expressing my opinion of the movie. It's a review. I'm not the type of person who wants to shut down free speech just because I'm offended by it. I simply won't ever watch H8 again or take a chance on any other Tarantino movie in the future.

My review is meant to help like-minded individuals know what to expect before spending their hard earned dollars on something that they expect will be entertaining. I wish I had read a review like mine prior to wasting my money on something that I certainly do not consider entertaining. Where you get that I want some sort of filter on dialogue is beyond me.

As for the double standard? It has to do with whose public speech and politics the NAACP agrees with. I'll leave it at that.

DK says:
He did attend a Black Lives Matter rally which almost got his movie pulled by the outrage of police and their supporters. Sam Jackson is one of his best friends. Clint Eastwood did play a racist in the movie Gran Torino. Do you think that the NAACP should go after all of the rappers out there as well? Not only for the use of the "N" word but also their portrayal of women in their music and videos? Not trying to be a hater on you. I just want to know your opinion on it. Much love C.P.G.

C.P.G. says:
I'll be precise. Eastwood is a Conservative and Tarantino is a Liberal. It's as simple as that. The NAACP has exhibited a double standard when it comes to their rhetoric toward each ideology. If your liberal, you can basically get away with anything, be it racist statements or blatant misogyny. Their acronym should be NAALCP.

I don't think it's an accident that just prior to H8 opening, Tarantino accused cops of being murderers of black people. He knew full well the controversy his movie would cause with the outrageous use of the n word and wanted to quash demonstrations organized by the NAACP and BLM. The problem is, he didn't think it through all the way. He completely underestimated the affect a law enforcement, and for that matter, a public outcry, would have on ticket sales. Of course, the fact H8 was a lousy film had some impact. Tarantino may know how to direct films, but keep in mind, he's a high school dropout, so he probably isn't very savvy toward the ways of the real world.

Do I think the NAACP should go after all the rappers? If they use the n word and espouse violence against women in their songs, I believe, not only the NAACP should speak out against them, but every African American, all women, all human beings, should too. It's obscene the pass they get. Not to mention the silence about the mass murder of Blacks by other Blacks.

The NAACP, and people like Al Sharpton, will call Conservatives racists and oppressors, or if you're a Black Conservative, an Uncle Tom, at the drop of a hat. So much so that those terms have practically lost their meaning. But what's more oppressive toward African American males and females than some of the lyrics in a lot of those rap songs? What's more oppressive? The murder of thousands of Black men, women and children every year, not by cops and white racists, but at the hands of other Black men, women and children! The statitistcs are staggering. What do you hear from most African American leaders, including our President? Crickets.

People in power, whether they're liberal or conservative, black or white, have one priority...to stay in power. They, themselves, come first, not the people they supposedly represent.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2016 11:37 PM PDT

Saving Christmas
Saving Christmas
DVD
Price: $9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Coal For Your Stocking, March 20, 2016
This review is from: Saving Christmas (Amazon Video)
This is not a film, it's a boring sermon filled with a bunch of nonsense to justify all the symbols of Christmas that have absolutely nothing to do with Jesus. Not only are the stories just made up, there are times in the film where it feels like Cameron is making them up while being filmed. And then after be goes through his long drawn out stories, we must suffer through countless repetitive vignettes of Cameron and his brother-in-law sitting in a car, as the brother-in-law actually makes very good points as to why Christmas has nothing to do with Jesus. Of course, Cameron has an explanation for everything. Did you know, the Christmas tree is actually a symbol for the Cross, and the ornaments we hang on it symbolize Jesus on the Cross? And, of course, brother-in-law accepts it all as gospel (pun intended). This is not one of those movies that's so bad, it's good. No. It's so bad, I couldn't finish watching it. Up to a point it's like a train wreck you can't take your eyes off. But then it just gets unbearably boring.

The Shipwreck of the Essex: The History of the Fateful Expedition That Inspired Moby Dick
Offered by Audible, Inc. (US)

1.0 out of 5 stars Narrator Ruined Audio Book, March 11, 2016
This is a review of the audiobook. Honestly, I couldn't get through ten minutes because of the narrator. It's so disappointing when an interesting story is defeated by the reader. Obviously he didn't have to win an audition and no one listened to it before releasing it. He ended almost every sentence as if it were a question, with an upward inflection, making the audio book impossible to listen to with any enjoyment.

Dental Retainer Denture Mouthguard Case -Black
Dental Retainer Denture Mouthguard Case -Black
Offered by Shine Med/Den Supply CO
Price: $4.99
3 used & new from $0.61

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Case!, March 7, 2016
It's the best retainer case I've ever bought. I loved it so much, I bought one for all my friends and family! :)

Fudge It! Deep Dark Chocolate Fudge Sauce
Fudge It! Deep Dark Chocolate Fudge Sauce
Offered by Sweet Carol Ann's
Price: $14.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Thick & Rich? If Hershey's Syrup is Your Idea of Thick & Rich!, March 7, 2016
I was so disappointed with this fudge. After reading all the incredible reviews I figured it must be the ultimate hot fudge. Boy was I wrong. What are these peoples' experiences of excellent hot fudge? Heating up Hershey's syrup? My memories of the best hot fudge I've ever had include a thickness that holds up when heated. This fudge was a major fail in that department. When heated, the consistency turns into that of heated Hershey's syrup. When used on ice cream, it immediately starts creating a sort of chocolate milk mixture instead of hot fudge. Most hot fudges will at least thicken up some when it comes into contact with frozen ice cream. I found myself rushing through my sundae to prevent diluting the flavor of the fudge completely. Regarding the flavor, it's OK. Nothing great. Definitely better than Hershey's syrup, but not $14 better. My search for a hot fudge, at least as good as my memories, and at least half as good as my homemade, goes on.

BTunes VXB-35 (3.5mm Model) To Make Wired Headphones Wireless for Beats, Monster, Sony, V-Moda, Marshalls and more
Price: $99.00
2 used & new from $99.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced for Readily Available Technology, February 23, 2016
Excellent idea but there's absolutely nothing new here and the price is ridiculous. You can get pretty much the same features and performance for $80 less right here: http://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Portable-Bluetooth-Receiver-Wireless/dp/B00YMSO3Z4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1456268783&sr=8-4&keywords=headphone+bluetooth+adapter.

Heinz Spaghetti in Tomato Sauce (400g)
Heinz Spaghetti in Tomato Sauce (400g)
Offered by Cooking Marvellous
Price: $2.59
2 used & new from $2.59

1.0 out of 5 stars Spaghetti in Tomato Juice (Not Sauce), December 28, 2015
If you like soggy spaghetti noodles in watery tomato juice, this is for you. It should be labeled, Spaghetti Noodle Soup, but that would be an insult to soup. It's pretty disgusting, even the smell, not to mention the slimy, worm-like texture of this stuff. I didn't want it to go to waste so I started using it to add to my dog's supper, until she stopped eating.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12