Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer "Vintage home restorer" RSS Feed (Chattanooga, TN USA)

Band-Aid Brand Adhesive Bandages, Tough Strips, 60 Count
Band-Aid Brand Adhesive Bandages, Tough Strips, 60 Count
Price: $6.47
11 used & new from $6.47

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea Lousy Implementation, March 1, 2015
I work a lot with my hands and cut my fingers all the time. I thought a tough band-aid that would hold up while I worked was a great idea. As advertised these band-aids stick thoroughly - to your skin. They adhere to skin so well that they threaten tearing your skin when you remove them, and they leave lots of adhesive behind that is though to remove. The real problem is that they do not stick well at all to themselves. On your finger, where you get overlap, the band-aid will start peeling off immediately wherever it overlaps onto itself. (I actually resorted to helping the overlap with a tab of duct tape.)

Canon PowerShot G7 X Digital Camera
Canon PowerShot G7 X Digital Camera
Price: $649.00
43 used & new from $500.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in class (for my purposes), November 30, 2014
This is a truly remarkable and capable camera. I have always been a serious photographer, and I didn't used to mind lugging around a full size camera with extra lenses in a shoulder bag. Not any more. Now I am a little (maybe a lot) older, and I want to pop my camera in my pocket. But I still crave professional quality photos, and I insist on setting adjustments my way. Until now you could not have it both ways. So in recent years I have lowered my expectations to a $300 point-and-shoot camera. The Canon G7x solves that problem for me.

Currently the only real competition, if you insist on a really compact size, is the Sony RX100 III, also an excellent choice. In fact all the reviewers seem to prefer it. But I am ecstatic over my choice of the G7x. True the RX100 III is reportedly better for movies, but that is not my thing. Because I do a lot of portrait photos, the extra physical zoom of the G7x to 100mm is indispensable. The touch screen is another terrific advantage, particularly if you are accustomed to using a smartphone. I find I am always touching all the screens in my life and I am disappointed if they do not respond.

The reviewers complain about the auto-focus speed and reliability, and that worried me a lot. But I see no problem. It does not feel slow to me. I hate the auto-focus assist light (it distracts subjects) so I turn it off. Still the camera focuses in light so low I can hardly see myself. Yes, sometimes it fails to focus, but touch screen to the rescue: just touch a spot you want to focus on, the focus box snaps there and you are on your way. That feature alone is a great reason to choose the G7x over the RX100 III. The reviewers have generally missed the wonderful utility of the touch screen.

With 20MP, image quality with the G7x is all around magnificent. One real wish for me is low-light photography without flash; because of the unnatural light it creates, I would love to never use flash again. The G7x is nothing short of amazing in this regard! The 1" sensor and the amazingly bright lens combine to allow incredible low-light photos in situations where I can barely see myself. The photos turn out brighter than the perception of my eyes. Grain is hardly noticeable up to at least ISO 1600, and the camera can go to ISO 12500.

This is a weighty little beast at .67 lbs, so even though you can pop it in your shirt pocket, expect your shirt to sag. No surprise though when you consider the sheer amount of technology inside. The build quality is excellent, with the metal body it feels solid, a vast contrast to the average plastic point-and-shoot, even thought they look pretty much the same. Try to wiggle the lens barrel, nada, this thing is nicely machined.

Battery life is sad. You won't make it a day with heavy use. It's not just about the number of shots, but also about fiddling with the adjustments, showing off the photos to your friends and sending pix off via WiFi. Better carry a spare: not too annoying once you commit to it.

Speaking of WiFi connection, this was a major consideration for me and boy is it great! The reviewers complain it is harder than others to set up, but what the heck, you only do that once. Making connection is a snap. Two clicks and my photos are backing up to Google Drive (other destinations are also possible) right from the camera, automatically sending only those that were not sent before. Two clicks and a photo is posted on Facebook. Connecting directly to your smartphone is just as easy.

All in all, I highly recommend this camera for enthusiasts who want to leave the bag behind.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2014 11:54 AM PST

Wigwam Men's Hiking/Outdoor Pro Length Sock
Wigwam Men's Hiking/Outdoor Pro Length Sock
Price: $10.39 - $31.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Best sock ever made, October 23, 2012
It's true! These socks do not wear out! I have had ten pairs of these socks for over five years and I wear them every day (because they are so comfortable) and wash them after every wearing. Until recently I could not tell the new ones from the old ones. Now the oldest are showing a little wear visually, although they are still just as comfortable as ever. I have been afraid for years that Wigwam would discontinue these socks just because they can never sell anyone new ones. I wear them winter and summer. If you like a heavier, more cushiony sock like I do, look no further.

MapQuest Campground / RV Park Guide and Atlas
MapQuest Campground / RV Park Guide and Atlas

1.0 out of 5 stars Want a campsite? Look elsewhere!, February 20, 2007
I was given this atlas as a gift and began with enthusiasm which quickly turned to disappointment. The maps are nice but not better than any other atlas. National Parks and State Park campgrounds are marked, but the information sections for them give only address and phone number. No driving directions, no facilities listing, no number of sites, no open season - nothing. I guess you could call and ask - hope your not looking when the office is closed. The private campground section is better, listing all of the above items. However, the number of campgrounds listed is a small fraction of what is available. For example, for Georgia, this atlas lists 16 campgrounds (total for the entire state!). In contrast, Woodall's 2007 Campground Directory (the gold standard) lists almost 100 campgrounds in Georgia. When it is getting late in the day, and I still have no place to stay, I would really like to know everything that is available near my current location. My recommendation: Pass on this campground atlas.

Panasonic EY3531NQWKW 15.6-Volt NiMH 5-3/8-Inch Cordless Wood Circular Saw
Panasonic EY3531NQWKW 15.6-Volt NiMH 5-3/8-Inch Cordless Wood Circular Saw
Offered by BW Direct
Price: $349.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product - lousy warranty support, September 3, 2004
I have used this saw in commercial home restoration for ten months, and, although the torque is a little whimpy, it has worked nicely for me - until it broke. However, I cannot be even this positive about Panasonic warranty support. Although this saw is very expensive, I bought it because I wanted a battery operated saw, and I wanted to stay compatible with Panasonic's great batteries. (I already own two Panasonic EY6432 15.6 volt drills as well as the EY6535 multi-driver which are truely great tools that hold up well under commercial use.) The wood saw stalls fairly easily, but it will saw 2x4s and even rip 1 inch boards effectively if you guide it straight to avoid binding. It is very light making it especially handy for sawing trim with one hand while hanging off a ladder. However, it has a plastic body that has a narrow section right where it attaches to the base. One day the body broke right at this narrow section. Mind you that this saw may have been dropped from normal working height, but it was not mistreated or dropped from a roof. However, Panasonic refuses to fix it under warranty. Their treatment of customers is impersonal and unsupportive.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 11, 2014 10:51 AM PDT