Profile for Denis Nolan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Denis Nolan RSS Feed (San Francisco)

Page: 1 | 2
The Message: Catholic/Ecumenical Edition: The Bible in Contemporary Language
The Message: Catholic/Ecumenical Edition: The Bible in Contemporary Language
by Eugene H. Peterson
Price: $24.59
49 used & new from $18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars not an official translation) and we have been delighted. Peterson has clarified many confusing phrases and writes ..., November 1, 2014
In our Bible Study class, we have been comparing this to a real Bible (that is not a knock, this is a paraphrase, not an official translation) and we have been delighted. Peterson has clarified many confusing phrases and writes in a style reflective of the original. Notice that it does not say "The Bible" on the cover, it says "The Message", and that is exactly what Peterson gives us.

Tahoe Ghost Boat (Owen McKenna)
Tahoe Ghost Boat (Owen McKenna)
Price: $14.97
8 used & new from $11.12

4.0 out of 5 stars A quiet moment, August 11, 2014
By the time I got here, the crowd at the five star rating was pushing and shoving. Since the three star reviews mentioned that the underwater sequence is rather unbelievable and I agree, I went halfway between to four stars. I agree with the other reviews that his is one of his best and a delightful read for the action and the unexpected.

That being said, I found the most delightful part of the book to be a quiet scene where McKenna is talking to a girl with scarred lip about beauty. As Todd does so well, he covers an unexpected topic and does a masterful job of explaining that beauty isn't just skin deep -- real beauty goes far beyond the physical. Well done, Todd!

Tahoe Chase (An Owen McKenna Mystery Thriller)
Tahoe Chase (An Owen McKenna Mystery Thriller)
Price: $14.66
21 used & new from $6.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Now, about Street..., August 8, 2013
I have read every one of Todd Borg's books, and I have to say this is one of the best. Constant action from beginning to end, clues that lead you in the wrong direction, and weakness turning to strength make it a delightful (and hard to put down) read. This is unusual in the Tahoe series because it takes place in winter. The only other one that I recall that did this was "Tahoe Avalanche".

As usual, Owen McKenna has a vulnerable client, introduces you to an area you probably do not have a great deal of knowledge about (abusive relationships for one thing), and takes you on a tour of the Tahoe basin. If you are unfamiliar with the territory, study the map in the front pages and go to sigalert.com to see actual traffic cameras of several Tahoe highways.

Now, about Owen's girlfriend, Street. Todd, we've got to get them married and widen his existence!

Tahoe Trap (Owen Mckenna Tahoe Mystery)
Tahoe Trap (Owen Mckenna Tahoe Mystery)
Price: $13.79
25 used & new from $9.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable!, August 2, 2012
I always enjoy Todd Borg's books. They have action, thought and are well written. This one is a reversal of Tahoe Silence. In that one a girl was kidnapped and Owen McKenna had to find her to save her. In this one, a boy is kidnapped, but Owen gets him back immediately and has to keep him to save him. I always learn something from Todd's books, because in every one he touches on a subject that most of us haven't much knowledge of, from the Grand Canyon of Hawaii to autism or rescue dogs. (In this one he gets into the dichotomy of problems for illegal immigrants.) And, like most of his books, there is a twist at the end that changes the whole situation and adds an action packed ending. I thoroughly enjoyed it and so will you.

The reason I didn't give it five stars was the word at the top of this review -- unbelievable. There are several things that happen that stretch credulity, more like a James Bond novel than a Dick Francis novel. That being said, the book is a delight and I do recommend it highly.

Tahoe Hijack (An Owen McKenna Mystery Thriller Book 9)
Tahoe Hijack (An Owen McKenna Mystery Thriller Book 9)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Tahoe Hijack, July 24, 2011
Borg starts with a Miss Marple introduction with just enough information to let you see some of what's going on, but also enough deflection to lead you in the wrong direction. He ends the book with a Hercule Poirot denouement that puts the pieces in place, and in between he has a James Bond adventure. Spot, his Great Dane, is even more involved than usual, participating in high speed chases and capturing the bad guy. As usual, it's all great fun for the reader. I thoroughly enjoy Borg's books, and this is one of the better. (I still like Tahoe Silence the best.) I would say that if you have never read a Borg book, you might want to read another first. He has a number of "regulars" who he doesn't really re-introduce very completely. It doesn't hurt the flow of the story, but for a newcomer it could be confusing. Realize that Lake Tahoe covers two states and four jurisdictions, and if you're not familiar, having characters from all of those places can throw you. Nevertheless, a five star for a good mystery/adventure.

Tahoe Heat (An Owen McKenna Mystery Thriller)
Tahoe Heat (An Owen McKenna Mystery Thriller)
Price: $13.60
29 used & new from $3.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Another gem, July 24, 2010
Borg has done it again! My favorite Title before this was "Tahoe Silence", but this one approaches that one in every way. All of Borg's books have a great deal of action, wonderful characterization (even his dog has a personality!) and a good plot. More than that, however, is that Borg manages to give us knowledge we did not previously have. He does his research and then works it unobtrusively into the plot. Search and rescue dogs, insect behavior, autism and now cancer research and start-up companies. As usual, the plot moves, the dialogue is taut, and the action grips you. I love all of Borg's books, but this one moves to the top of this list. You'll not be able to put it down, and you'll have a smile on your face at the end. Well done!!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2010 10:37 AM PDT

Tahoe Night (Owen McKenna)
Tahoe Night (Owen McKenna)
Price: $13.79
26 used & new from $1.02

4.0 out of 5 stars A voice in the wilderness, August 15, 2009
Since everyone else is praising Todd Borg's book to high heaven, I thought I might just be the one outcast in the group. Actually, had I not seen the other reviews, I would have given him 5 stars as well, because this book is up to the standards of his previous books, but it does have a few glitches, which is unlike Borg with his careful research in most of his books. First of all, Santa Fe, the capital of New Mexico is not at 5300 feet, which is the altitude of Denver, it is 7,000 feet. Secondly, his ending seems a bit more contrived than those of his previous books. Then again, maybe I'm just use to perfection from Borg.

That being said, Todd does his usual good job of mystery and information. And, I'm sure to the delight of many people, his Great Dane, Spot, is center attraction. I think Spot should be given an honorary degree from some university. In this book he calms a woman in shock and then brings her back to full recovery. This after he acted as a search dog, protected and calmed an autistic girl and did a dozen other things in previous novels. The whole thing adds up to a delightful read once again.

The Killing Room
The Killing Room
by Peter May
29 used & new from $8.02

5.0 out of 5 stars My education continues, August 13, 2008
This review is from: The Killing Room (Hardcover)
Can a Scotsman living in France write about an American pathologist and a Chinese detective and make it real?

Without a doubt!

May has written six novels about his unusual pair of protagonists, but only three have been printed in the U.S. so far. The first two do a wonderful job of introducing the "real" China to his readers by giving insight and joy to the daily lives of people in Beijing. I found them to be a wonderful education as well as a delightful read.

In this novel, the action moves to Shanghai, and his insights into the differences between that city and Beijing are fascinating. He is the only westerner to be given honorary membership to the Chinese mystery writers Association, and when you read his novels, you'll understand why.

Oh yes, the mystery part is remarkably good as well. Well plotted, good characterization, and all three books catch you off guard at the end, as good mysteries should!

Tahoe Avalanche (An Owen Mckenna Mystery Thriller)
Tahoe Avalanche (An Owen Mckenna Mystery Thriller)
Price: $14.00
26 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars He's just getting better!, August 6, 2008
Each August, I look forward to Todd Borg bringing out another fascinating story. He has yet to let me down. Last year he won the gold Ben Franklin award for "Tahoe Silence", and I think he is going to win a few more for his latest, "Tahoe Avalanche". I have read many mysteries over the years, but from the very first of the Owen McKenna books, I felt this writer was something special. And he just keeps getting better.

Borg doesn't waste words on long descriptions, yet his decriptions come to life like very few other authors I have read. No excess characters, so the ones he has are "real". So is his dialogue -- tight, quick, yet so real you can hear the people saying it. And he does his homework. He goes from autism in "Silence" to search and rescue dogs, avalanches and the habitats of beetles in this one. In all cases, he is a man who has done his research but not let it overwhelm him so that he has to show everything he knows, just what he needs to make the story come alive.

At the same time, he can keep you turning pages just having Owen McKenna play with his dog, a great dane named Spot. Somehow, Borg makes Spot as real as the people, and a pure delight to read about!

If you haven't read one of Borg's books, get this one. It's a real page turner without excess violence, one dimensional characters, or unblievable plots. I notice that Amazon is already out of stock. That doesn't surprise me. Pure and simple, it is an absolute delight!

The Caddie Who Played with Hickory
The Caddie Who Played with Hickory
by John Coyne
76 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An Ace, May 14, 2008
I have read a number of golfing books (friends don't know what else to buy me for my birthday), and some are pretty lame. I can honestly say I've only truly enjoyed two or three. This is one of them. Coyne weaves a delightful novel of life in the late forties, capturing the very distinctive separation between the wealthy and the working class, while adding mystery (not the murder type) and young love to a story about golf. It keeps you turning pages, and you come away with a good feeling -- even if you know nothing about the game! For those of you who do play, it is even more enticing, bringing Walter Hagan back to the club where he once won the U.S. Open with hickory clubs that he is playing once last time. A delightful read!

Page: 1 | 2