Profile for Marc Strand > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 95

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Marc Strand RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Merrell Men's Moab Gore-Tex Waterproof Hiking Shoe ,12 W US,Dark Chocolate
Merrell Men's Moab Gore-Tex Waterproof Hiking Shoe ,12 W US,Dark Chocolate
Price: $139.95
8 used & new from $139.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like the last pair, and that pair was very good, November 3, 2014
I've had this exact same shoe before, and I wore them daily until they were in "work shoe" shape, i.e. until they were getting pretty ratty looking. It took a while to get that first pair looking ratty, but even now, they are still comfortable for use as yard and dirty jobs shoes, so that's what I use them for. My replacement nicer shoes were a pair of New Balance 812 shoes that I had previously, and for some unknown reason, put on the shelf, still in good condition. When those finally wore out last month, I looked for another pair of the NB 812 model, but to no avail. So I decided to look for another pair of Merrell Moab shoes in the same Dark Chocolate color as before. And Amazon had them, albeit at a not-inexpensive price, but I especially need comfort in my shoes (plantar fasciitis), so I ordered the shoes and paid the price.

Here's where the surprise came in. My old pair of these shoes, the ones that were just as comfortable as when I first bought them, aren't really as comfortable as I thought, at least not in comparison as my new pair. With a pair of Walgreen's Sport and Work Cushion Insoles replacing the ones that came with my new shoes, I'm able to walk with more comfort and for greater distances than I can with my older pair -- and I'm maybe a half inch taller, which never hurts, either.

You don't normally get something for nothing, and these shoes are no exception to that rule. But you definitely get your money's worth with these shoes, and if they last as long as my first pair (and I expect they will), I'll definitely feel that they were worth every dollar I spent on them.

Dritz Zipper Tab Replacement 2/Pkg-Nickel
Dritz Zipper Tab Replacement 2/Pkg-Nickel
Offered by THE BT GROUP
Price: $4.87
17 used & new from $1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to install, but seems to be working just fine, October 24, 2014
Well, it works, but getting it installed is a challenge, and it seems a bit flimsy, but so far, so good, and it beats the heck out of the much larger zipper pull replacements out there.

It probably took me a good 10 minutes to install this thing on the front zipper of my Columbia convertible pants. It's so small, and you want to be careful to open the wound wire circle enough to slip it into the zipper without bending the wire and ... well, 10 minutes later, I finally did it with the aid of a small kitchen knife. No blood, no missing finger tips, but a lot of careful maneuvering.

Once installed, it feels like it might break every time I use it, but so far, it has performed just fine, so that may just be a perception thing on my part. And as I mentioned above, it certainly is less bulky and less noticeable when compared to the much larger zipper pull replacements that other vendors offer.

I took 1 star off for the difficulty of installation.

Forza Horizon 2 for Xbox 360
Forza Horizon 2 for Xbox 360
Price: Click here to see our price
52 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars $999 million to spend in the game for cars ... if you find the bug, October 24, 2014
Bought this as a birthday gift for my 13-year old grandson. Yesterday, he insisted on showing me all the cars he has "acquired" in the game and what upgrades he's put on them -- it took 10 minutes. I thin I can safely say he really enjoys this game!

BTW, he found an apparently fortuitous bug in this game. Somehow, he was doing some buying and selling of cars, and his account balance wrapped around backwards instead of going negative or disallowing his transaction. So now he's got $999,999,999 or something like that to spend in the game for cars and upgrades. Hmmm -- maybe that's why he has so many cars?

Enjoy, and look for that bug to max out your account balance.

iPearl mCover Hard Shell Case for 13.3" Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro laptop (Orange)
iPearl mCover Hard Shell Case for 13.3" Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro laptop (Orange)
Offered by iPearl-Inc
Price: $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably not for people who intend to use tablet mode, October 24, 2014
Torn between 2- and 3-stars here. The product is fairly well made and I really liked the color, but I just didn't like the way it fit my Yoga 2 Pro.

First, the good stuff. The product arrived in good condition and appears to be nicely manufactured and finished -- a transparent bright orange color that one of the reviewers described as "only appropriate if you work on a construction site or plan on using it in the middle of the highway." Well, it's pretty bright all right, certainly brighter than the photos would lead you to expect, but I was looking for something bright and cheerful, so bright orange was just fine with me.

What I didn't like was the way the cover seemed to buckle just a bit in the middle of the rear edge when I tried to fold it into tablet mode. And as other reviewers have stated, you cannot fold completely into tablet mode with both cover halves installed. In my experience, I could not get closer to tablet mode than a good inch or more before the cover halves started to interfere with each other. I was hoping for something closer than that, and maybe the slight buckling in the rear edge of my cover had something to do with how much of a gap I experienced. To the manufacturer's credit, they do state that "you may need to take either the top or bottom cover off" to fold completely into tablet mode. Well, folks, there's no "may" about it -- you WILL have to remove one of the halves to get to full tablet mode. And while I don't use tablet mode all the time, I certainly don't want to take the chance of breaking the cover or stressing the Yoga 2 Pro hinges due to cover interference. And I also don't want to have to remove and replace the bottom cover half every time I want to use tablet mode. How long before one of the bottom cover half connectors breaks and I can no longer attach it securely to my PC and pffffft! -- $20 wasted? I don't want to find out.

The manufacturer also stated that the "shell easily snaps on and off", which is true, so I snapped it back off my Yoga 2 Pro, packed it carefully in the original shipping materials, and sent it back to Amazon, who, as always, has a great return policy.

AmazonBasics 3-Button USB Wired Mouse (Black)
AmazonBasics 3-Button USB Wired Mouse (Black)
Price: $6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A basic 3-button mouse that does its job but feels light weight to me, September 10, 2014
Not a whole lot to say about this mouse. It is basic, as the name implies; it's a plug-and-play device in Windows, so no dramas installing it; all 3 buttons seem to work as they should; and it's inexpensive. It is also on the lighter side weight-wise, which is something I don't happen to like, but then that's a personal preference. The shape and size are comfortable in my hand.

It does the job, but it just doesn't have the feel in my hand of, for example, a Logitech mouse. But as I said, it also doesn't have the price of a Logitech mouse either. I guess it depends what's important to you. It works, so I'm going to keep it and grumble to myself every now and then.

Dual Focus 16x52/16x40 Monocular Telescopes for Birds/hunting/camping/hiking Armoring (16x52 Night Vision)
Offered by life-promise-mall
Price: $20.89
3 used & new from $19.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality monocular for easy carrying and use, September 10, 2014
Bought this for my 13 year old grandson as a birthday present, since he seems quite interested in various outdoor items. He loves it. The 16x magnification works well for him, and the size makes it easier to carry as compared to binoculars. The included carrying pouch seems sturdy enough and has a handy belt attachment slot too.

I only hope that he's not using it to spy on me....

10 Pry Tools Repair Open Compatible with apple ipod/ iphone (a)
10 Pry Tools Repair Open Compatible with apple ipod/ iphone (a)
Offered by EF-Cloud
Price: $1.84
35 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect to get a lot of use out of these, August 20, 2014
Be aware that this item is not really 10 different pry tools -- it's 5 sets of 2 different pry tools, and difference between the 2 different pry tools is relatively slight, and the main difference is the width of the blades (6 mm vs 8 mm). So maybe you want to plan on giving some of the 5 sets to your family and friends.

The other thing to be aware of is the softness of the plastic used to make these tools. It deforms fairly easily when disassembling a cell phone, for example, and I wasn't leaning on these tools all that hard. They didn't break, but they certainly did deform and, to some extent, stayed that way. I used one of the tools on disassemble an old HTC One V, and by the time I was done, the edge was somewhat chewed up and of marginal use on the next phone. So maybe you don't want to give the extra sets away to family and friends after all....

Summary: somewhat useful, but certainly nothing special in terms of quality and longevity.

RC Pet Products Cirque Soft Walking Dog Harness, Medium, Teal
RC Pet Products Cirque Soft Walking Dog Harness, Medium, Teal
Price: $18.00
2 used & new from $8.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice harness that's a bit small for a medium, August 14, 2014
I bought this dog harness for my sister-in-law, who has been pulled over by her 20# mixed breed, short legged dog more than once. So far, it seems to be just what she needs to protect both herself and the dog.

The color Teal is true to the picture as shown. The fit is probably a bit small for a size medium, given that the dog falls right in the low-to-middle of the range for medium as shown in the ad: the dog's neck measures 12.5" (opening: 14-inch), her girth is 20.5" (girth: 18-24-inch), and her weight is 21# (weight: 20-40-pound). This harness fits my sister-in-law's dog very comfortably in all respects, but I had to adjust the harness girth to within 1" of its maximum, and the neck opening is just about perfect for the dog. You certainly wouldn't want to buy a medium size for a dog that was anywhere close to the maximum dimensions as specified for this harness, or even for a dog that was much bigger than my sister-in-law's dog.

The finish of the harness is good. All edges have padded finish tape sewn onto them. The mesh fabric appears to be quite breathable (you can see through it easily when held up to the light), and it seems to be sturdy enough to withstand the dog's tugging. The placement of the girth straps is far enough behind the front legs that the straps do not cut into the dog at all during normal activity, and if the dog pulls hard, the straps would actually tend to pull away from the legs just a bit, so even less chance of them cutting into the dog in that situation. The D-ring for attaching the leash is at the rear of the top of the harness and appears to be firmly attached. All in all, a well made product.

Now if we can just get my sister-in-law to stay on her feet when taking the dog out for a walk....

HTC BK76100 Internal Battery for HTC One V - Original OEM - Non-Retail Packaging - Black
Offered by Seller1ON1
Price: $8.06
6 used & new from $2.60

5.0 out of 5 stars New life for an older phone, August 3, 2014
I was a little leery about replacing the battery in my HTC One V, because everywhere you look you read that it is not user-replaceable. Fortunately, I found a video on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_yj-vuB8qI) that shows exactly how to remove the old battery, and after that, it's just a matter of reversing the process. No audio, but the video is pretty clear by itself.

So I ordered this battery, it arrived promptly, I followed the video religiously, and presto! The battery was installed. After putting the phone back together and charging the battery (which arrived charged to 80%), I turned the phone on and everything worked perfectly. I haven't done any formal battery life tests, but it definitely holds a charge better than my old 1.5 year old battery. Good product + good price + fast shipment = new life for an older phone. If you have a sense of adventure, can follow instructions from a youtube video, and own a small (#0) Phillips head screwdriver, you can probably do this yourself.

Evecase Galaxy S5 Case, ARMURE Dual Layer Ultra Rugged Case with Kick-Stand for Samsung Galaxy S5, S 5 (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile and All Versions Compatible) - Blue
Offered by BlueMall
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! A case that meets all my priorities., July 29, 2014
I am increasingly reluctant to write reviews of cell phone cases, because it is becoming increasing apparent to me that this is a highly subjective item. What appeals to one person may very well not appeal to another, based on individual priorities.

With that said, I'll make an exception for this product because, for me, this is one of the best cases I've ever purchased:

- It is grippy enough to make me feel confident that it won't accidentally slip out of my hand while I'm putting it into my pocket, taking it out, or switching it from one hand to another. I've seen some reviews that complain about the grippiness making it hard to put the the phone in your pocket or take it out (too much drag on the pocket material), and while that's true to some degree, it's not a major issue for me -- but then, I keep my phone in my front pocket, not one of my skinny back pockets (where I might accidentally sit on it and break the screen). It's a trade off: either it's more important to you to be able to easily slide your phone in and out of your pocket, or it's more important to have a good grip when it's in your hand. No case that I have seen will do both well.

- It is thick enough to make me feel that it can protect my phone if/when that day comes when I drop it. Unlike most 2 layer cases, the hard case goes on first (in 2 parts that snap together around the phone, from the front and back), then the soft case goes over the hard case and connects with a small groove around the edge of the screen. This groove keeps the soft case in place nicely and is a good design touch. I saw one review that claimed this case tripled the thickness of his phone, and I have to say that's a bit of an exaggeration. It certainly doubles it and perhaps just a bit more, but then we're back to trade offs: are you looking primarily for the slim, fashionable look, or are you looking for a case that's thick enough to offer real world protection?

- All the ports line up well. I have no trouble opening the microUSB port and inserting the cable with the case on. The camera lens is well recessed into this case, and the sides of the recess are tapered so that they don't protrude into the camera's field of view. The volume rocker and power switch buttons could perhaps be a tad thicker, but I've found that I have no problems finding them by touch after a week of use, and they are easy to press -- not at all stiff. *** UPDATE 3 Aug 2014: I didn't realize it until I recently cut my fingernails, but there is a problem opening the microUSB port cover IF you have short fingernails. If you've got a little bit of length on your nails, it's not a problem,; otherwise you'll probably need a pin or some other small pointy device to start opening the port cover.

- One person complained that the side of the hard case, where it surrounds the screen, makes it hard to press the virtual keys closest to the edge. I can see what he/she means, but it isn't all that hard for me to reach those keys in portrait mode, and it's no problem at all in landscape mode. If you're a thumb typist, you may have more difficulty, though. Personally, I prefer to swype.

- The color (I got the blue one) is somewhat darker than shown in the picture. I would describe it as just a bit lighter than royal blue with just a hint of a purple tint added -- a very nice and distinctive color in my opinion. The color you see when you zoom in on the item picture seems closer to reality.

- The kickstand isn't something I intend to use much, if at all, but it seems sturdy enough if you are reasonably careful with it. (As someone once said, some people can break a crowbar in a sand box.) It functions in both the portrait and landscape positions, and when you don't want to use it, it will click and stay firmly in place, recessed in the back of the case. It doesn't protrude or snag on anything when not in use.

- $5.99 shipped for free with Amazon Prime? Are you kidding me? Talk about a steal....

If there's anything I could complain about, it's the complete lack of any instructions about how to put the case on the phone. If you've already used a case like this, you'll know how to do it...but everyone has a first time at some time, and that's what instructions are for. If you're also a first timer, find a video on youtube for applying this particular case. After that, it's a snap (literally). BTW, I use a glass screen protector on my Samsung Galaxy S5, and I had no problems installing this case on my phone.

I love this case! And if you use tools at all, you'll know what I mean by the feeling you get when you're using a good quality tool. That's the feeling I get whenever I pull this case out of my pocket. It's that good.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10