Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Shop Now HTL
Profile for Michael A. Behr > Reviews

Michael A. Behr's Profile

Customer Reviews: 522
Top Reviewer Ranking: 977

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael A. Behr "mabehr" RSS Feed (New York, NY United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Generac 6866 iQ2000 Ultra-Quiet Portable Inverter Gas Generator, 2000-Watt, Carb Compliant
Price: $799.00
9 used & new from $799.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Very quiet! But portable? Depends on your definition..., November 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great little device. It is remarkably quiet: after Sandy, my area was without power for two weeks and all the generators in the area made an insane amount of noise. Granted, those generators were big honking things that had an output of 3-4 times this one, but still, this is quiet enough to sleep near (on low or even medium, at least). It's roughly on par with my old dishwasher. I am very impressed.

The bells and whistles are AWESOME: it starts on the first try, and I don't know how I lived without knowing how much time I had left before it runs out! To be absolutely certain that I have enough gas to last through the night is priceless.

So why only rate it four stars? I don't agree with calling this "portable." This sucker is heavy. The box it arrived in said "TEAM LIFT" because UPS didn't want anyone to throw out their back with this thing which has a shipping weight of 51 lbs (some of which is the cardboard box, of course), and that's before gasoline and oil. This is very easy to get in and out of a vehicle, but you're not getting very far with it: maybe a few hundred feet to a campsite or a worksite. Compare that to something like a (similarly priced) Champion Power Equipment 41537 9,375 Watt 439cc 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Generator With Electric Start (CARB Compliant) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) which is about 200lbs, but could be loaded/unloaded with the assistance of a ramp or even run out of the back of a truck or, all while providing over 4x the power. I don't know what your definition of "portable" is, but that's something to consider before plunking down a significant chunk of change.

Also, don't expect to get 2000W out of this: those are peak watts. This isn't a specific complaint to Generac, all the generators are advertised like that. Running watts are 1600, and even then, that's at full load. Yes, it will run a microwave oven, since that's rather intermittent, but if you're going to leave it on overnight, plan to get half or even 1/4 of that.

The Book with No Pictures
The Book with No Pictures
by B. J. Novak
Price: $8.99
113 used & new from $6.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy giggles!, November 26, 2015
My little guy was giggling like crazy all throughout. He's asked every adult he knows to read this book. It's got him INTERESTED like no other book, including those with superheroes, get him interested. Amazing.

My one concern might be that there's a line that says "I am a monkey who taught myself to read." I can imagine that many people might find that funny, but others might be genuinely offended

Coin 2.0 - A smart device for all cards
Coin 2.0 - A smart device for all cards
Price: $99.00
3 used & new from $92.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Great...when it works!, November 19, 2015
This is a great concept, and I would love to be able to use it more. It's very unreliable, however: the card keeps getting rejected and I have to use my backup card. I was worried that the lack of EMV chip would be an issue, but almost no registers in my local area use them yet, we just use swipes. The 8-card limit also proved to be a bit small.

Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Smart Stages Puppy (with Bonus DVD)
Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Smart Stages Puppy (with Bonus DVD)
Price: $22.99
7 used & new from $16.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable, educational toy, November 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My son used to have a similar toy (a frog) when he was little, and loved it... sometimes even sitting in his crib having conversations with it while his mom & I got some extra Z's! This one is even better: it's VERY soft (besides the light up heart in the middle), and the colors are so bright and inviting, the little ones are immediately attracted to it. The baby is watching it carefully, and meanwhile my 3-year old daughter is spending a LOT of time "showing him how it works." (She's not fooling anybody.)

My one complaint is that they had plastic fasteners to connect the feet to the box (even though his neck is affixed with paper string), and I had to be very careful not to leave the plastic fastener in the doggy's feet because they're a choking hazard.

The DVD doesn't add any value for me because we don't even have a working DVD player anymore now that there are so many digital streaming services. Plus, I don't let the baby watch screens anyway.

Lifefactory Cafe Collection Hot Beverage Glass Bottle with Cafe Cap, Plum, 12-Ounce
Price: $23.88
2 used & new from $23.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Great commuter cup, November 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The insulating sleeve is different than the sleeve on most lifefactory beverage glasses: it's foamy, and keeps your hand from getting burnt and helps keep the glass from breaking. It also keeps the heat in, but not as well as if this was a double walled product (my guess is that it's tough to get the double wall in glass to be durable enough: similar products on Amazon complain that the inner glass shatters). The top is easy to open and close, and is perfectly appropriate for sipping hot coffee or tea in the car or at a table, but probably not great for exercising. Being able to throw them both in the dishwasher afterwards is perfect!

The 12 oz size is perfect for a hot beverage and fits in my cupholder easily while not interfering with my drive *and* fits perfectly under my Keurig (BONUS!) but at the same time, I might consider something like a Thermos Funtainer Bottle, Star Wars Clone Wars, 12 oz if I wanted to keep beverages hot for longer. I've had issues with the thermoses in the dishwasher, and the plastic straw (which, while BPA free, doesn't mean that it's safe) is sitting in the hot liquid the whole time.

Maverick Amazon Exclusive Redi Chek Barbecue Thermometer
Maverick Amazon Exclusive Redi Chek Barbecue Thermometer
Price: $47.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be accurate temperature, lifespan is TBD, November 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was curious to see how this compared to my favorite meat thermometer, the Ivation Long Range Wireless Thermometer - Dual Probe - Remote BBQ, Smoker, Grill, Oven, Meat Thermometer - Monitors Food From Up To 300 Feet Away, other than this is a few dollars cheaper. They look very similar, though this one has a nicer display and shiny metal plating. As soon as I picked this up, I noticed that the Maverick was much lighter. This is really neither a good thing nor a bad thing, but it did give the impression of being cheaply made. I also note that there's a fancier version of this, the Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker Meat Thermometer Set which also displays cooking temperature ranges. I'm also keeping an eye on the Meater, which looks interesting but is currently only in the pre-order stage (I've learned my lesson with those!)

The dual temperature probe feature is great, since it helps verify the actual ambient temperature of your grill, smoker, or oven. Be careful not to let the BARBEQUE probe touch any grates because that will skew the reading.

The most important thing about a thermometer is that the temperature is accurate, which it was (within two degress of professional Thermapen). The range is also good, though I did have to resynchronize the wireless connection a few times.

My biggest issue was that inserting the probes into the transmitter was somewhat error prone: it was easy to just put it in 90% of the way and end up with HHH being recorded as the temperature.

I'm torn between a 4 and 5 star rating. I rated the Ivation at 5-star, and absolutely love it. It's been going strong for almost 9 months, and I am a prolific cooker. This one seems just fine as well, so I guess I'm going to give it the same rating, but the proven track record of my Ivation makes me lean a tiny bit more towards recommending that versus this. Longevity is an issue with all of these devices, so I'll update this if it starts to misbehave. I note that there are a number of reviews for both the Ivation and for the ET-733 that say it has a very limited lifespan, so we shall see!

Bubula Stainless Steel Diaper Pail, Grey
Bubula Stainless Steel Diaper Pail, Grey
Price: $89.99
9 used & new from $73.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Ubbi, almost as good as or even better than a Diaper Genie Elite... but one design flaw., November 10, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So this is an excellent can, compared to the Ubbi Steel Diaper Pail, and a pretty good competitor to the Playtex Diaper Genie Elite Pail System with Odor Lock Carbon Filter, 100 Count. There's really just one negative... but first, the good things.

1) It's a good height for a floor pail. The Ubbi is too short, but the Diaper Genie Elite is perfect.
2) It's solidly made, like the ubbi: metal, and obviously good construction. Better, even, since it seems to have a rubberized base so that when it's on our wood floor, it doesn't move. Haven't tried putting it on carpet yet, but it's probably similar. The metal won't absorb odors. The Diaper Genie is made from cheap plastic that breaks every six months (I have three kids and we've gone through at least half a dozen of these things) as well as absorbing odors.
3) It uses real bags, like the Ubbi! The Playtex bags can be very pricey (the best prices I've found are Amazon Subscribe & Save for 3 for 15 or Costco 4 for 20). I'm pretty sure Glad Bags - especially the ones with Febreeze - are cheaper and better. This is obviously more expensive up front though.
4) The one-handed operation beats the Ubbi hands down. It's almost as good as the foot pedal from the Diaper Genie. Remember a lot of the time you're doing this while holding the baby on the changer with one hand and a nasty yucky diaper in the other, so one handed - or even NO handed - operation is critical. I can open this thing up with my elbow, or an axe kick. I'd still prefer a foot pedal.

Here's the negative: when you open it up, you put the diaper on this metal surface (I call it a table) before you then close it up and it drops down. That table is going to start getting NASTY over time... and considering it's not the easiest spot to access, I expect that cleaning it is going to be a nightmare!

Seek Reveal - All In One Handheld Thermal Imager with Flashlight, Blue
Seek Reveal - All In One Handheld Thermal Imager with Flashlight, Blue
Price: $399.00
25 used & new from $360.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing!!!, November 10, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am absolutely blown away by even the existence of this product. The fact that it even exists and is close to affordable for the average person is just amazing to me. I had my eye on a FLIR ONE Thermal Imager for iPhone 5/5s for a long time, as well as the [[ASIN:B00NYWABAA Seek Compact Thermal Imager for iOS (Apple), Black], and I do wonder what the differences are (other than that this is a standalone device whereas the other ones requires a phone). I'm just an layperson when it comes to IR, so I have no idea the difference between different technologies in this space, but this was more than enough for me to analyze my home for weak parts in the insulation.

Let me start out by highlighting that this device makes a good impression from minute one. Unboxing is very reminiscent of an iPhone or similar: the package is easy to open, and it takes seconds to get the system up and going. The date setting mechanism is a bit clunky, but that takes only a few seconds.

Once this is up and running, it's pretty awesome. There IS a bit of lag, so using it for hunting, driving a car, or flying a plane is probably impractical. The fact that the screen is 90-degrees off from the camera also makes those harder (basically you point the "front" of the device at whatever you want to measure, like a flashlight, and the image appears on the "top").

That said, using this for a game of hide-and-seek is a definite winner, though I think this is more geared for home inspections and energy audits, etc. Police might be able to use this as well: my wife's car was showing heat on the engine and front tires over half an hour after she got home, and the car itself was cool to the touch. The device is able to measure heat differentials of only a few degrees! Much like a [[ASIN:B0044R87BE Black & Decker TLD100 Thermal Leak Detector]] , I'm able to point this device at something and measure the temperature. Might be useful for cooking as well, but probably overkill if that's the ONLY reason you're adding it.

On top of all that, it can capture images for you, recording the picture, the time, and the temperature of the target. This doesn't seem to be working for me on a Mac (where it's only seeing part of the picture), but it does on Windows. In order to upload it to Amazon, I apparently have to convert it from a PNG to a GIF or Jpeg. Interestingly, the saved version doesn't capture the time, but it shows up in the gallery on the device.

The flashlight is probably very helpful if you're searching around an attic for thermal leaks. It's also useful for seeing where the device is pointed without looking at the screen.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Madd Gear Mini Drift Trike, Black/Green
Madd Gear Mini Drift Trike, Black/Green
Price: $99.00
3 used & new from $99.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality parts, poor design, November 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really, really wanted to like this tricycle, and the crazy thing here is that I love the parts, which are all high quality, it's the design itself that I have a problem with. My son was SO excited by this radical looking trike - even before I showed him the video of the kids actually drifting with it - that I was willing to look past the assembly and concentrate on the nice construction and quality parts. Make no mistake, this is way closer to a "real" bicycle that you buy at a bike store than a bike from your local big box store, and a FAR cry from the old big wheel. The steel tube and fork are just as good quality as the one on my son's bike, and probably my bike as well, and it's great he's learning how to handbrake.

The assembly itself wasn't too hard: about an hour for the main bike, and probably another hour tuning the brakes. The wheel was slightly deformed, so it's not quite 100% round, but not bad enough to cause any real issues. So what ARE the real issues?

1) See that gorgeous wheel cover that hides the spokes of the mini bicycle wheel? Well, that gorgeous wheel cover makes it impossible to get a bike pump in the little secret compartment they give you to access the tyre valve. I tried with THREE bike pumps and finally had to unscrew a bunch of it to get in there properly. Since I find myself pumping bike tires frequently, this is probably going to get annoying, but I don't want to simply remove the wheel covers since they look SO awesome.

2) The "adjustable" seat has three possible settings, and in order to move it from one setting to another, you have to undo and redo four separate bolts. Also, it helps to use a 5mm hex screwdriver of your own because the allen key provided is too long to rotate without bumping int the seat... and since the seat is hollow blown plastic, I was worried that I was going to rip it with the metal allen key if I pushed too hard. On the other hand, adjusting the seat may initially be a little big of a pain, but once adjusted, it's probably good for the next year or two... unless you have multiple kids who want to use the bike.

3) It only works on perfectly clean and smooth asphalt. I'm not sure if the weight distribution is all wrong (maybe the curve in the tube, which isn't there on the Razor drift trike), or the grippiness of the front tire needs improvement, or maybe if it's added friction from the large surface area of the fat back wheels, but there were significant areas of my driveway and cul-de-sac where my kid pedaled and the wheel just spun. Granted, he's a string bean (tall and thin), so maybe this wouldn't be an issue with heavier kids, but it's not an issue with his old tricycle nor with his bike. This one is tough to get past. Since none of the other reviewers have commented on this, I'm going to try with some nephews and a niece to see if it's unique to my son or more a general issue. It would be nice if Madd Gear could update the Amazon listing with recommended minimum and maximum height and minimum weight. The documentation does say 150lb max, so unfortunately *I* cannot ride it.

There are also covers on the pedal joints that pop out if he pedals backwards too much (instinct, since that's how his current bike brakes), but I'm not 100% sure that's a design flaw or if it's somehow actually a good thing that somehow prevents damage to the pedals somehow, but that's relatively minor.

Obliphica Seaberry Shampoo - Medium to Coarse (10 fl.oz)
Obliphica Seaberry Shampoo - Medium to Coarse (10 fl.oz)
Offered by FROM A TO Z
Price: $26.06
7 used & new from $17.11

4.0 out of 5 stars This and the matching conditioner are the best ever!, November 6, 2015
This, and the matching Seaberry Hair Mask - Medium to Coarseare the best shampoo and conditioner ever. Seriously, my wife and I are fighting over them: I had to buy a second set because she won't share hers.

Ingredients aren't listed on the Amazon page, but here they are from the bottle: Water/Eau, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Polyquaternium 7, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine Lactate, Lauramide Dipa, Glycerin, Polyquatrnium10, Fragrance/Parfum, Peg-150 Distearate, Hippophae Rhamnoides (sea buckthorn) oil, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylchlorioisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Ext. Violet 2. There's a lot of scary chemical names, but for the most part, the EWG website rates them as 4 or less (most are 1 or 2). The only one that gets a 7 is Methylisothiazolinone: it's banned in Europe in cosmetics, but it seems to be allowed in other parts of the world subject to concentration limitations. I assume that since it's at the end of the list, the concentration is very low.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20