Profile for Trevis Rothwell > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 92

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Trevis Rothwell RSS Feed (United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
iPhone SDK Application Development: Building Applications for the AppStore
iPhone SDK Application Development: Building Applications for the AppStore
by Jonathan A. Zdziarski
Price: $25.83
117 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good resource for developing without Interface Builder, September 2, 2010
A client needed an iPhone application written such that it made no use of Interface Builder. Perhaps an unusual requirement, but c'est la vie, and I wasn't sure where to get started. Most iPhone books and tutorials I had seen up to this point assumed you were using Interface Builder.

I can't speak to the alleged errors pointed out by other reviewers, as I have not read this book carefully, but it proved to be a great resource for showing me what I needed to do to write an IB-less iPhone program. At this, at least, the book excels.

Day Trip
Day Trip
Price: $16.04
63 used & new from $0.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Similar, yet improved and refreshing, sound, March 24, 2010
This review is from: Day Trip (Audio CD)
This album is ostensibly very similar in concept to, say, Metheny's Trio 99->00 album, but yet it's not the same. I find this recording to sound fresher, more uplifting, more energetic, more clearly and crisply captured.

The compositions, as another reviewer mentioned, don't strike me as very memorable. I would generally find that to be a point of flaw, but in this case, the improvisations and chord changes are so pleasant to listen to that I don't really miss superb head melodies.

If you've already got some similar recordings from Metheny, you might not feel a desire to get this one too, but then again, you might be surprised.

Paper Mate Comfortmate Ultra 0.7mm Mechanical Pencil Starter Set(1738796), Assorted
Price: $3.49
27 used & new from $2.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth writing from a mechanical pencil!, March 17, 2010
I must first admit that I have not used a mechanical pencil prior to this one for several years. To my recollection, previous experiences were not particularly pleasant, and I used mechanical pencils more out of convenience compared to regular pencils (and only when I needed a pencil) than anything else.

I desired to try one again, and picked this out more or less at random. I was very pleasantly surprised. This pencil is very easy to write with, does not require much pressure from your wrist to make a solid mark on the paper, and is a smoother writing implement than any other pencil I can remember using.

Very satisfied.

Short History of Boston (Short Histories)
Short History of Boston (Short Histories)
by Robert J. Allison
Price: $10.84
64 used & new from $6.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of information, suboptimal writing flow, November 17, 2008
I agree with the previous reviewer that there is a lot of information packed into this slim volume, and it would indeed make a great jumping-off point for learning more -- you can peruse this book for what interests you, and then trundle over to the Boston Public Library to dig for more details.

That said, I did not find the writing in this book to flow very well. Informative, yes, but not a very pleasant read. I suspect that an editing overhaul... reword this sentence, rearrange that paragraph, etc... would make the book not only informative but much more enjoyable to consume.

Yes, You Can Get A Financial Life!: Your Lifetime Guide to Financial Planning
Yes, You Can Get A Financial Life!: Your Lifetime Guide to Financial Planning
by Ben Stein
Price: $11.96
47 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally awesome; read this book before it's too late, May 12, 2008
The authors might argue that it's never really "too late," but the earlier in life you really comprehend what they are saying in this book, the better off you'll be for the rest of your life.

This book, when properly used, forces you to not only acknowledge but to think about and ponder major expenses throughout your lifetime, and how best to prepare for them. Thinking of getting married and having children without any savings plan and dumping all of your paycheck into the best car/apartment/computer/whatever you can? You should probably think again. And this book will guide your thinking in logical directions.

Without a Song: The 9/11 Concert
Without a Song: The 9/11 Concert
Price: $13.19
55 used & new from $0.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, March 29, 2008
While recorded in 2001, this album hearkens back to the great jazz of decades gone by. A lot of recent jazz music seems to just be empty... it doesn't "say" anything, if you will. Sonny Rollins and the band assembled here use their instruments to take the listener on a journey, expressing both the sorrow of the 9/11 attacks and hope for the future.

A great sound, and one of my favorite jazz recordings.

From Hope to Higher Ground: 12 STEPS to Restoring America's Greatness
From Hope to Higher Ground: 12 STEPS to Restoring America's Greatness
by Mike Huckabee
97 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars How you and I -- not just Mike -- can make a difference, March 29, 2008
I bought this book thinking it would be Mike Huckabee's plan for improving the United States from his position in political leadership. While he does touch on things he has done as governor of Arkansas, this book is moreso about what you, me, and everyone can do to make a difference.

As Huckabee explains, maybe you can't personally cause peace in the Middle East, or maybe you personally can't eliminate the U.S. national debt, but there are all sorts of things that you can do to make your life better, and the lives of those around you.

A great read, and worth reading frequently.

Bass & I
Bass & I
22 used & new from $13.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Jazz bass master takes the lead, March 29, 2008
This review is from: Bass & I (Audio CD)
Ron Carter has supported other jazz musicians on countless albums, and it's always nice to see him lead a project. This album has plenty of great tunes with outstanding arrangements. I especially enjoy hearing Ron's take on "I Remember Clifford."

Bach: 3 Oboe Concertos
Bach: 3 Oboe Concertos
23 used & new from $4.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent music, great recording, January 18, 2008
This review is from: Bach: 3 Oboe Concertos (Audio CD)
I was somewhat concerned buying this that a disc full of oboe music might get annoying, but I was looking to expand my Bach collection, so I figured it was worth a try.

While the oboe certainly is the featured instrument, there are plenty of passages sans oboe, with the strings and harpsichord playing. Even so, the oboe parts are performed masterfully, and the sound is most pleasant.

The compositions are not particularly memorable to me -- I don't find myself whistling the Bach oboe concertos after listening to the album a few times -- but they are great examples of the baroque genre no less. I personally find this album good to study and program with, though I don't get a lot of interest out of listening to it standalone. Your mileage may vary.

Noah Webster's Early American History
Noah Webster's Early American History
by www.JacobAbbott.com
Price: $23.86
25 used & new from $19.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic U.S. Text, December 25, 2007
This is a reprint of Noah Webster's classic textbook on (mostly) U.S. history. As a prelude, Webster also writes about history and peoples outside of and predating the United States.

The text itself is excellent; written originally for younger children rather than for adults, but nowadays there are likely many adults who wouldn't understand every word in the book... but I digress. This book should be especially interesting for those wanting to learn about the establishment of the United States as a country, and of the establishment of U.S. government, as the author had significant first-hand knowledge of these events.

On the downside, the book is printed on rather large paper, with a rather large typeface, and relatively small margins; it might be fine for younger readers who prefer big text, but for me, the typesetting is cumbersome.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10