Profile for S. Allen > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 45

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Allen RSS Feed (Raleigh, NC USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Sunforce 58012 Coleman 2 Watt Solar Panel Battery Maintainer
Sunforce 58012 Coleman 2 Watt Solar Panel Battery Maintainer
Offered by Ron's Home and Hardware
Price: $22.69
5 used & new from $12.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Apparently poorly made, July 8, 2014
Not much can be said about it.
It might have worked maybe 6 hours then just died while sitting on my dashboard.
Getting money back easily because I bought it from Amazon is the only good thing I can say about it.

Magnaflow 12286 Stainless Steel 2.5" Oval Muffler
Magnaflow 12286 Stainless Steel 2.5" Oval Muffler
Price: $113.56
76 used & new from $112.26

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, June 19, 2013
I loved the sound and the performance of this muffler, however it did not last 1000 miles.
I installed this muffler 2 days prior to a 8000 mile 27 day cross country trip and I only got started on the 3rd day of trip, maybe 1000 miles or so before it started rattling inside the muffler. This is 100% highway use, not one foot did I drive offroad.
Precisely the same as James states.
I decided to not go through 3 of them and 3 installs and returned this one and went with a Borla 40665 Pro XS

Which is a shame because performance wise and the sound I really liked this muffler and really there is no valid reason for this muffler to not last at least 10+ years minimum. It is just pure stupidity on the part of the company to cut what ever tiny corner that is causing this problem.

Thankfully Amazon as usual is absolutely fantastic on their return policy.
I called them and without any problem they sent a pre paid return label for a full refund.
I then ordered the Borla muffler from them, I have Amazon Prime so shipping was free, was supposed to get here like always in 2 days, yet in a few hours I got an email stating it had already shipped and will be here within 18 hours of when I ordered it. Cant not get better customer service than that.

It gets 4 stars for good sound and performance and take away at least 2 stars for poor quality control.

edit: 4/20/14 I am thinking that only some loon like the CEO or other person part of Magnaflow themselves would possibly rate this review as unhelpful, a good customer relations company would leave a comment and offer to rectify the problem.

Three Dog Bakery Jump 'N Sit Cranberry and Yogurt Bits, Baked Dog Treats, 12-Ounce
Price: $11.38
2 used & new from $11.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Chihuahua loves these, January 30, 2013
These are perfect training treats, good size, dry so you can just put a few in your pocket, good for the dog, good ingredients.
Problem is why the heck are they charging $8 for them?
I buy these all day long at our local Grocery store for $3.50 a box.
So the treats get a 5 star.
The price they are outa their mind.

Edit: Feb 20th, LOL I do the "Tell us about a lower price" thing above, saying I get them at $3.49 at mt local grocery store and have been for about a year, that is their normal price at the store, I have seen them numerous places for no more than $6 and bada bing they raise the price now from $8 to $11 ROTFL.
Why not just make it $19.95.
I would suggest any one reading this to buy these at Harris Teeter if you have one in your area.

Edit: March 20th, I just bought 4 boxes of these on sale (buy one get one free)at Harris Teeter so they were $1.75 per box.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2013 9:06 PM PDT

Uniden D2997 Loud and Clear Cordless Answering System with Big Buttons and Caller Announce
Offered by iSave
Price: $165.04
6 used & new from $37.95

1.0 out of 5 stars "Refurbished"!, January 10, 2013
Have only had this phone a couple days but I can tell you one thing that I am not at all pleased with is the fact that nowhere in the information on Amazon does it say that this product is REFURBISHED.
The one we got was blatantly refurbished, even the packaging was beat to hell and patched up with tape, had little red dot stickers top and bottom and a sticker on it that states refurbished. The base unit was very scratched up and the hand held unit was clearly very used.
Would have NEVER bought this if it was marketed as refurbished which it should have been. (minus 3 stars for this false advertising)

Having said that, the volume seems to be decent especially in Boost mode, phone seems to be "fair" at best.
one thing that is ignorant beyond belief is that it does not have speed dial. You have to put numbers and names in a "phonebook" then hit the phonebook button then a button that correlates to the name such as if you put in "Sam" then it will come up under the number "7" because that is where the S is then you have to hit "Talk/End" to dial and I assume that if you have several names under S that you have to keep hitting the 7 button repeatedly until the name appears.
Now that is basically ridiculous when you could at least set up say 10 speed dial numbers where you just do like every other phone on the planet does and just hold down the number for 3 seconds.
Trying to get my 95 year old mother to do this 3+ part 'slow dial" thing is almost like teaching my Chihuahua to drive. (minus 1 star for stupidity)

The charging light on the base unit is always red giving the impression that it is never really fully charged. (no more stars to minus).

Not even sure about the rest of it as we haven't had it long enough to know, but not pleased with it and would certainly not recommend it to anyone.

Only good thing is it wasn't expensive and with Amazon Prime we got it in 2 days for free shipping.

Agenda: Grinding America Down
Agenda: Grinding America Down
DVD ~ Curtis Bowers
Offered by RGSellers
Price: $15.67
39 used & new from $3.29

1.0 out of 5 stars Pure garbage, December 31, 2012
Not one single word of truth in this entire manureamentary.
I find it hard to believe that 143 people are this delusional, that is the scariest part is that it seems people today are so easily fooled by bald faced lies.
For instance the Tpublican candidate went an entire year telling one bald faced lie after after another and still managed to get 47% of the vote?
This is what politics has come down to, fooling the simple minded which is the sole intent of this steaming pile.
Comment Comments (25) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2013 6:49 AM PDT

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Great "Idea", December 30, 2012
But the materials and hose itself is pure manure.
It worked great for about 60 days, I always turned off the water as soon as I was done watering, it shrank right back up wonderfully and I stored it in the shade at all times with no water pressure in it. It lasted at most 60 days before it just broke right in the middle like a water balloon.

Like virtually all products today they desperately try to keep the cost down to under $20 while making a 100% profit margin, so what ever it is can not cost them more than $10 wholesale and this is what you get, manure.
I would MUCH prefer to pay $39 for a hose just like this that is built well with good materials that should last 10+ years of heavy use than I would paying $15-$20 for a POS that wont last a couple months.

This hose is worth about $3 as it is disposable, use it for a month and throw it away.

Hyperion Samsung Galaxy SIII 4200mAh Extended Battery + Pebble Blue Back Cover (Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S III GT-i9300, AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung i747, Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung i535, T-mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung T999, U.S. Cellular Samsung Galaxy S3 R530, and Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung L710)**NOW WITH NFC** [Bulk Packaging]
Offered by Hyperion Electronics Accessories
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent battery, November 9, 2012
For $30 this is a great battery. Got this 3 days ago
I charged it for over 12 hours and I am still on that first charge, it says over 40 hours and 15 minutes so far with 14% left, so I am going to start playing a game just so I try to kill it on down to 2% so I can charge it tonight.
I used the heck out of it both days, lots of web surfing, both Wifi and Bluetooth have been on continuously, using BT headset, listening to music all day and going shopping using my "Out of Milk" App so screen been on for hours.
and this is the first charge, so after 4-5 full cycles it should even be better, so this battery on average will last me 2-3 full days of moderately heavy use. The original 2100mah OEM battery lasted me on average 6-7 hours, I am thinking that it almost had to have had something wrong with it actually because this battery is exactly twice the mah but I am getting more than SEVEN TIMES the battery life so something doesn't add up here.

Either way I am totally pleased with this battery so far, if it last 1 year its well worth it.

I also MUCH prefer the feel of the Samsung Galaxy S3 with this battery/cover&case on it, much easier to handle can actually touch the phone without touching the screen or buttons makes the phone WAY nicer.

(EDIT: Nov 18th)
Had it almost 2 weeks now, still fantastic battery, no problems of any kind.
I get about 30-35 hours of very hard use, or like right now I am setting at 51 hours on this charge with still 34% charge left, that is a few calls, watched a couple short videos, websurfed maybe an hour, checked email many times, using WIFI all the time when needed turned off when not etc, so just very basic use and it appears as though this is going to last me until the end of the day still, so at least another 6+ hours or so. Should get about 57-60 hours before I charge it. That is awesome.
this is still on Android 4.04 OS, hopefully Jelly Bean 4.1 wont mess this up.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2014 7:37 AM PST

LG Electronics Tone+ HBS-730 Bluetooth Headset - Retail Packaging - Black
LG Electronics Tone+ HBS-730 Bluetooth Headset - Retail Packaging - Black
Price: $50.93
150 used & new from $29.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Bluetooth earbuds, November 9, 2012
I bought two pair of these for wife and I, both of us using them on same type of phone we each have a Samsung Galaxy S3.
I will go ahead and get the bad out of the way which I deducted 1 star.

The bluetooth signal is weak, it says 33 feet but there is no way in H E double L it will actually work at 33 feet. I put the phone on my kitchen counter and stepped off 13 feet before it started to cut out. So the usable distance is 13 feet.
This distance shrinks considerably if anything is blocking it, it will sort of work in your pants pocket if you wear thin pants like summer time Khaki cargo pants, but for the most part while in your pants pocket you will get cut outs here and there, moderate to severe depending on pant material, which side (right is better) and probably even if you have large belly.
Now myself I just put the phone in my shirt pocket and I never have any problems at all.
Works fine in my car where ever I put it.
Now for my wife, hers was cutting out worse than mine, she has been wearing jeans which is probably why, she has to put hers in her bra and works pretty good from there. I just ordered a arm band from Amazon a few minutes ago which I hope works, if not we may have to send hers back and get the HBS700.

Now all the rest is great, they sound very good especially for BT ear buds, I would say as good as my Klipsch S4 wired ear buds.
Having the controls and battery around your neck is a great idea because you can have a larger battery, easy to reach controls and all the weight is on your shoulder where you don't even feel it at all, just the small buds in ear so you can wear these all day.
These came in the mail fully or at least mostly charged, have used the heck out of them for 2 days now and seem like I can go at least another day so I haven't even charged them yet.
I am sure after a few full charges these should last several days between charges.

The voice control is nice especially while driving, just push a button and say "call whomever" or "play music" or specific artist, with Google voice can send email, text, navigate maps etc. Basically you can just put phone in holder and never touch it.

The vibrate when you get a call is nice certainly cant miss a call.

Overall they are probably the best BT ear buds you can buy for everything BUT the signal strength or maybe it is the Apt-X latency, but what ever it is they are good for about 13 feet for good reception, maybe 15-18 feet in perfect conditions while holding your tongue just right.
Put phone in your shirt pocket or possibly an arm band and you should be good to go with great sound.
I have a feeling that this signal problem can be fixed with a firmware update, hopefully LG may do this in the future.

So far all pluses out weigh the ONE minus so I am going to keep them because I can manage to work around the weak signal.

(Edit:) Nov 20th.
Got wife an arm band for her cell phone, works pretty flawless from there so she is keeping hers also.
These would be BY FAR the best BT earbuds on the market if they just had the same range as the HBS700.
But we are making them work for us, still easier than messing with wired earbuds.

Samsung DA29-00003G Aqua-Pure Plus Refrigerator Water Filter, 2-Pack
Samsung DA29-00003G Aqua-Pure Plus Refrigerator Water Filter, 2-Pack
Offered by DealsOutlets
Price: $72.00
12 used & new from $44.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Good OEM product, August 24, 2012
Bought 2 of these, using the first one now for about a month or so and it works perfect.
No drips, great water flow.
So far have no complaints at all other than its $31 each, but that is cheaper than most anywhere else.

Fenwick HMX 2 Piece Fly Rod (8"6", 10 Guides, 6 lb. Line Wt.)
Fenwick HMX 2 Piece Fly Rod (8"6", 10 Guides, 6 lb. Line Wt.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great rod, April 8, 2012
I have actually just gotten this rod for free as a replacement rod for my old HMG 866 that I bought back in 1985.
For whatever reason it broke on me while I was fishing, was about a 2 lb perch and the rod snapped about 6" above the ferrule.
Anyway I called Fenwick actually just to see if I could buy just the top section, told them what happened and what rod it was and they said it comes with a lifetime guarantee.
I just had to take a few pictures, then *gulp* cut the bottom section in half with a picture showing it.
Sent that in email and a few days later they are sending me a brand new flyrod. Only cost was $9 for shipping.

I used the hell out of that rod mostly for Bass, Crappie and Perch and some small trout, had it for 27 years, breaks and get a new one.

Cant beat that.

It is a very nice rod for the price.

I have a custom G.Loomis 8wt that cost $700 about 14 years ago which is also a great flyrod.
But I think I paid something like $80 for my Fenwick 27 years ago maybe not even that much and it is really just as fishable as my $700 G.Loomis.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5