Profile for S. Allen > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 47

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Allen RSS Feed (Raleigh, NC USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
High temp Vision Grill Nomex Gasket, self stick w/ Lavalock (free damper gasket)
Offered by Island Outdoor, LLC
Price: $26.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice gasket, self stick is the way to go for sure., July 26, 2014
Been using this gasket 3 months now, have done I think about 6 pizza's during that time which is really the hardest thing on any Kamado gasket and see no signs of it burning or failing in any way.
Have done several cook outs with Burgers, Chicken and several low temp 225-275 smoking Boston Butts.

It installed very easily, I saw no need to take off the top dome for any reason because the self stick works so well it is just not needed.
In 3 months it shows no signs of coming unstuck so I don't see any reason that it will until it needs changing again.

The only thing I think that could be better is instead of having it bright white in color is to make it BLACK, would remain looking good that way.

Teva Men's Churn Performance Water Shoe
Teva Men's Churn Performance Water Shoe
Price: $57.00 - $90.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect all around comfortable shoe, July 26, 2014
I have been wearing basically nothing but these Tevas I would conservatively say 330+ days a year for the past I think it been about 5+ years now. In all that time I have not yet even worn them IN the water for their so called intended purpose, I wear them for everyday walking.
I have used them for Kayaking, mostly on SOT fishing Kayak but have barely gotten them wet.
So I can not even comment on them as far as a "water shoe" but that is not what I bought mine for anyway, I just wanted a very comfortable hot weather shoe.
I wear mine 100% of the time with a nice cotton or "walking sock" that wicks perspiration and since this shoe is so airy my feet and shoes stay bone dry and nice and cool. As I walk I can feel the breeze through the shoes they are almost like wearing sandals.
I normally wear a size 10-10.5 but in these I get an 11 and that fits perfect WITH socks, so I am thinking that Teva's sizing may be because you are supposed to be wearing these without socks, if I wore these as they were intended, no socks as a water shoe then my normal size of 10.5 would be perfect.

I have 3 pair of these, first pair from at least 5 years ago are now relegated to working in the yard or something like that, they are almost worn slam out but still holding together no problem and still comfortable they just look like I dragged them behind my truck, little rip hear and there and paint and deck stain on them and the rubber sole is worn thin.
My second pair I am wearing right now, been wearing them for at least 1 1/2 to 2 years now and they still look fine, probably at least 2 more years left in them. Mind you since I am wearing these virtually every single day all year long that is a lot of wear, probably more than most people would put on them in the timeframe.
My 3rd pair is in the closet in a box waiting in reserve.
and I am always looking for pair number 4, I just wait until someplace has them on sale for under $60.
If I can get 3 more pair that 6th pair I will be using them to scuff around the old folks home and be buried in.

For me these are the perfect shoe and other than in the dead of winter when I will most likely be wearing snow boots or my leather moccasins I wear in the house, I wear nothing but these Teva's because they are more comfortable than any other shoe I have ever worn.
They are lightweight, cool and breezy, excellent traction on any terrain, great for walking long distances.
I could literally wear these shoes to bed, they are that comfortable.
I always try to keep at least one brand new pair in reserve, if I see them on sale anywhere for $50 or less I will go ahead and buy 3 more pair and I am set for shoes for the rest of my life.

Edit: (August 9th 2014) I just found these for $37.77 at another place and bought them today for my 2nd pair in reserve. I now should have these for at least the next 10 years or more before I need another pair.
These are honestly the ONLY shoes that I wear anymore.

Sunforce 58012 Coleman 2 Watt Solar Panel Battery Maintainer
Sunforce 58012 Coleman 2 Watt Solar Panel Battery Maintainer
Price: $21.99
5 used & new from $21.89

1.0 out of 5 stars Apparently poorly made, July 8, 2014
Not much can be said about it.
It might have worked maybe 6 hours then just died while sitting on my dashboard.
Getting money back easily because I bought it from Amazon is the only good thing I can say about it.

Magnaflow 12286 Stainless Steel 2.5" Oval Muffler
Magnaflow 12286 Stainless Steel 2.5" Oval Muffler
Offered by Cloud Nine Supply
Price: $104.59
80 used & new from $102.13

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, June 19, 2013
I loved the sound and the performance of this muffler, however it did not last 1000 miles.
I installed this muffler 2 days prior to a 8000 mile 27 day cross country trip and I only got started on the 3rd day of trip, maybe 1000 miles or so before it started rattling inside the muffler. This is 100% highway use, not one foot did I drive offroad.
Precisely the same as James states.
I decided to not go through 3 of them and 3 installs and returned this one and went with a Borla 40665 Pro XS

Which is a shame because performance wise and the sound I really liked this muffler and really there is no valid reason for this muffler to not last at least 10+ years minimum. It is just pure stupidity on the part of the company to cut what ever tiny corner that is causing this problem.

Thankfully Amazon as usual is absolutely fantastic on their return policy.
I called them and without any problem they sent a pre paid return label for a full refund.
I then ordered the Borla muffler from them, I have Amazon Prime so shipping was free, was supposed to get here like always in 2 days, yet in a few hours I got an email stating it had already shipped and will be here within 18 hours of when I ordered it. Cant not get better customer service than that.

It gets 4 stars for good sound and performance and take away at least 2 stars for poor quality control.

edit: 4/20/14 I am thinking that only some loon like the CEO or other person part of Magnaflow themselves would possibly rate this review as unhelpful, a good customer relations company would leave a comment and offer to rectify the problem.

Three Dog Bakery Jump 'N Sit Cranberry and Yogurt Bits, Baked Dog Treats, 12-Ounce
Price: $11.38
2 used & new from $9.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Chihuahua loves these, January 30, 2013
These are perfect training treats, good size, dry so you can just put a few in your pocket, good for the dog, good ingredients.
Problem is why the heck are they charging $8 for them?
I buy these all day long at our local Grocery store for $3.50 a box.
So the treats get a 5 star.
The price they are outa their mind.

Edit: Feb 20th, LOL I do the "Tell us about a lower price" thing above, saying I get them at $3.49 at mt local grocery store and have been for about a year, that is their normal price at the store, I have seen them numerous places for no more than $6 and bada bing they raise the price now from $8 to $11 ROTFL.
Why not just make it $19.95.
I would suggest any one reading this to buy these at Harris Teeter if you have one in your area.

Edit: March 20th, I just bought 4 boxes of these on sale (buy one get one free)at Harris Teeter so they were $1.75 per box.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2013 9:06 PM PDT

Uniden D2997 Loud and Clear Cordless Answering System with Big Buttons and Caller Announce
Offered by iSave
Price: $184.95
6 used & new from $34.99

1.0 out of 5 stars "Refurbished"!, January 10, 2013
Have only had this phone a couple days but I can tell you one thing that I am not at all pleased with is the fact that nowhere in the information on Amazon does it say that this product is REFURBISHED.
The one we got was blatantly refurbished, even the packaging was beat to hell and patched up with tape, had little red dot stickers top and bottom and a sticker on it that states refurbished. The base unit was very scratched up and the hand held unit was clearly very used.
Would have NEVER bought this if it was marketed as refurbished which it should have been. (minus 3 stars for this false advertising)

Having said that, the volume seems to be decent especially in Boost mode, phone seems to be "fair" at best.
one thing that is ignorant beyond belief is that it does not have speed dial. You have to put numbers and names in a "phonebook" then hit the phonebook button then a button that correlates to the name such as if you put in "Sam" then it will come up under the number "7" because that is where the S is then you have to hit "Talk/End" to dial and I assume that if you have several names under S that you have to keep hitting the 7 button repeatedly until the name appears.
Now that is basically ridiculous when you could at least set up say 10 speed dial numbers where you just do like every other phone on the planet does and just hold down the number for 3 seconds.
Trying to get my 95 year old mother to do this 3+ part 'slow dial" thing is almost like teaching my Chihuahua to drive. (minus 1 star for stupidity)

The charging light on the base unit is always red giving the impression that it is never really fully charged. (no more stars to minus).

Not even sure about the rest of it as we haven't had it long enough to know, but not pleased with it and would certainly not recommend it to anyone.

Only good thing is it wasn't expensive and with Amazon Prime we got it in 2 days for free shipping.

Agenda: Grinding America Down
Agenda: Grinding America Down
DVD ~ Curtis Bowers
Offered by Sovereign Living Solutions
Price: $15.67
31 used & new from $5.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Pure garbage, December 31, 2012
Not one single word of truth in this entire manureamentary.
I find it hard to believe that 143 people are this delusional, that is the scariest part is that it seems people today are so easily fooled by bald faced lies.
For instance the Tpublican candidate went an entire year telling one bald faced lie after after another and still managed to get 47% of the vote?
This is what politics has come down to, fooling the simple minded which is the sole intent of this steaming pile.
Comment Comments (25) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2013 6:49 AM PDT

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Great "Idea", December 30, 2012
But the materials and hose itself is pure manure.
It worked great for about 60 days, I always turned off the water as soon as I was done watering, it shrank right back up wonderfully and I stored it in the shade at all times with no water pressure in it. It lasted at most 60 days before it just broke right in the middle like a water balloon.

Like virtually all products today they desperately try to keep the cost down to under $20 while making a 100% profit margin, so what ever it is can not cost them more than $10 wholesale and this is what you get, manure.
I would MUCH prefer to pay $39 for a hose just like this that is built well with good materials that should last 10+ years of heavy use than I would paying $15-$20 for a POS that wont last a couple months.

This hose is worth about $3 as it is disposable, use it for a month and throw it away.

Hyperion Samsung Galaxy SIII 4200mAh Extended Battery + Pebble Blue Back Cover (Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S III GT-i9300, AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung i747, Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung i535, T-mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung T999, U.S. Cellular Samsung Galaxy S3 R530, and Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung L710)**NOW WITH NFC** [Bulk Packaging]
Offered by Hyperion Electronics Accessories
Price: $19.99
3 used & new from $15.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent battery, November 9, 2012
For $30 this is a great battery. Got this 3 days ago
I charged it for over 12 hours and I am still on that first charge, it says over 40 hours and 15 minutes so far with 14% left, so I am going to start playing a game just so I try to kill it on down to 2% so I can charge it tonight.
I used the heck out of it both days, lots of web surfing, both Wifi and Bluetooth have been on continuously, using BT headset, listening to music all day and going shopping using my "Out of Milk" App so screen been on for hours.
and this is the first charge, so after 4-5 full cycles it should even be better, so this battery on average will last me 2-3 full days of moderately heavy use. The original 2100mah OEM battery lasted me on average 6-7 hours, I am thinking that it almost had to have had something wrong with it actually because this battery is exactly twice the mah but I am getting more than SEVEN TIMES the battery life so something doesn't add up here.

Either way I am totally pleased with this battery so far, if it last 1 year its well worth it.

I also MUCH prefer the feel of the Samsung Galaxy S3 with this battery/cover&case on it, much easier to handle can actually touch the phone without touching the screen or buttons makes the phone WAY nicer.

(EDIT: Nov 18th)
Had it almost 2 weeks now, still fantastic battery, no problems of any kind.
I get about 30-35 hours of very hard use, or like right now I am setting at 51 hours on this charge with still 34% charge left, that is a few calls, watched a couple short videos, websurfed maybe an hour, checked email many times, using WIFI all the time when needed turned off when not etc, so just very basic use and it appears as though this is going to last me until the end of the day still, so at least another 6+ hours or so. Should get about 57-60 hours before I charge it. That is awesome.
this is still on Android 4.04 OS, hopefully Jelly Bean 4.1 wont mess this up.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2014 7:37 AM PST

LG Electronics Tone+ HBS-730 Bluetooth Headset - Retail Packaging - Black
LG Electronics Tone+ HBS-730 Bluetooth Headset - Retail Packaging - Black
Price: $49.35
129 used & new from $32.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Bluetooth earbuds, November 9, 2012
I bought two pair of these for wife and I, both of us using them on same type of phone we each have a Samsung Galaxy S3.
I will go ahead and get the bad out of the way which I deducted 1 star.

The bluetooth signal is weak, it says 33 feet but there is no way in H E double L it will actually work at 33 feet. I put the phone on my kitchen counter and stepped off 13 feet before it started to cut out. So the usable distance is 13 feet.
This distance shrinks considerably if anything is blocking it, it will sort of work in your pants pocket if you wear thin pants like summer time Khaki cargo pants, but for the most part while in your pants pocket you will get cut outs here and there, moderate to severe depending on pant material, which side (right is better) and probably even if you have large belly.
Now myself I just put the phone in my shirt pocket and I never have any problems at all.
Works fine in my car where ever I put it.
Now for my wife, hers was cutting out worse than mine, she has been wearing jeans which is probably why, she has to put hers in her bra and works pretty good from there. I just ordered a arm band from Amazon a few minutes ago which I hope works, if not we may have to send hers back and get the HBS700.

Now all the rest is great, they sound very good especially for BT ear buds, I would say as good as my Klipsch S4 wired ear buds.
Having the controls and battery around your neck is a great idea because you can have a larger battery, easy to reach controls and all the weight is on your shoulder where you don't even feel it at all, just the small buds in ear so you can wear these all day.
These came in the mail fully or at least mostly charged, have used the heck out of them for 2 days now and seem like I can go at least another day so I haven't even charged them yet.
I am sure after a few full charges these should last several days between charges.

The voice control is nice especially while driving, just push a button and say "call whomever" or "play music" or specific artist, with Google voice can send email, text, navigate maps etc. Basically you can just put phone in holder and never touch it.

The vibrate when you get a call is nice certainly cant miss a call.

Overall they are probably the best BT ear buds you can buy for everything BUT the signal strength or maybe it is the Apt-X latency, but what ever it is they are good for about 13 feet for good reception, maybe 15-18 feet in perfect conditions while holding your tongue just right.
Put phone in your shirt pocket or possibly an arm band and you should be good to go with great sound.
I have a feeling that this signal problem can be fixed with a firmware update, hopefully LG may do this in the future.

So far all pluses out weigh the ONE minus so I am going to keep them because I can manage to work around the weak signal.

(Edit:) Nov 20th.
Got wife an arm band for her cell phone, works pretty flawless from there so she is keeping hers also.
These would be BY FAR the best BT earbuds on the market if they just had the same range as the HBS700.
But we are making them work for us, still easier than messing with wired earbuds.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5