Profile for S. Allen > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 50

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Allen RSS Feed (Raleigh, NC USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Kick Away Shoe and Boot Cleaner, Heavy Duty Commercial Model
Kick Away Shoe and Boot Cleaner, Heavy Duty Commercial Model
Offered by J&D Manufacturing
Price: $39.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, January 15, 2015
This boot cleaner is OK, this is probably about the best of its type but this type of boot cleaner only does a so so job of cleaning boots. There is really NO WAY that you are getting your shoes clean without using water PERIOD.
This does as good as any of them ever will but without water there is only so much it can clean.
If you can somehow have a shallow pan a bit larger than your shoes with about 1" of water in it sitting close to this so you can stomp around in the water then use the brushes then water then brushes, OR somehow rig up a water hose to spray up under this then you would have a real boot cleaner.

Most of my shoes have funky nooks and crannies in the sole and this just will not get that dirt out.

So this particular brand I think it the very best of this type of boot cleaner but don't expect your shoes to come out actually "clean" this will only brush off the main big chunks, but the stuff in the lugs and especially in small tread is going to stay there until you run water over it.
This is well made and probably your best bet for this type.

The bottom brushes wear out fairly quickly though.

I installed mine onto about a 80-100 Pound piece of granite.
I used a 5/16ths Hammer Drill bit to drill 4 holes about 4" deep into the granite, bought a piece of 1/4" stainless threaded rod and cut the rod about 4 1/14" long and used large stainless fender washers and stainless nyloc nuts.
You epoxy the rods into the granite with JB Weld, wait a few days for it to 100% cure and then give each one just a god 1/4 turn to tighten.
That way this is literally solid as a rock.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Emile Henry Butter Pot, Azur
Emile Henry Butter Pot, Azur
Price: $26.96
4 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to keep spreadable butter, January 15, 2015
I have had this Butter Pot for about 5 weeks now so long enough to give a review.
I make my own butter out of the finest Grass Fed Organic Heavy Cream that I can get my hands on, only takes about 30 minutes total start to finish.
I buy 32 oz of cream which makes exactly 16oz of butter and close to 16oz of butter milk.
a full 8oz of fresh butter fits into the butter pot, the other 8oz I blend with whatever seasonings, usually either fresh Basil Pesto, or a Lemon, Pepper, Dill mix.
The Herb Butter I put onto a piece of parchment paper and then roll it into a log about the dia of a quarter or slightly larger, fold the ends and then put that into the fridge to firm up. (shown sitting next to butter pot in picture)
I just cut medallions of the herb butter when needed to cook with.

The butter in the butter pot I use just for spreading on bread.

Now for us, 8oz of fresh butter last between 6-10 days, in up to 10 days this butter seems just as fresh as the day I put in there.
Now we also keep our house in the winter time about 63-64 at night and about 65-68 during the day.
Have not had this during the summer time yet but the temps will only be a few degrees higher, usually about 68-69 at night and 70-71 during the day in the summer.
So far the butter is just barely spreadable which is exactly where you want it, its not super soft, little bit firm but it does spread onto bread without tearing it up especially toast.

I use it every morning and usually before I put the top back on and just dump the old water and put new in from the water dispenser on the outside of fridge, takes like 10 seconds, so in 6 to 10 days I probably change the water 5-8 times.
Other than the butter being spreadable I notice no difference at all between butter in the fridge Vs in the butter pot.
I am sure butter in the fridge would last longer like MONTHS vs Weeks but if you do not use 8oz of butter in less than 3 weeks then you really don't use butter.
I make a fresh batch every 7-10 days.

It is so much better to store it like this, I used to store it in a 16oz mason jar in the fridge and butter was a bit of a pain to use for toast.
This is just always there and spreadable.

Never had any problems with butter falling into the water, one time when only a small amount was left in the bottom it came lose while I was dragging the knife over it but before I put the top back on the water I simply pushed the butter with my finger and it clings tightly to the dish and never falls in the water.
The whole container remains rather cool to the touch at all times.
Cant even imagine this ever growing mold.

Works great for us.

The pot itself seems very well made like all Emile Henry stuff is.

I ended up getting mine for free, got it at another site they had it on sale for $12 but UPS messed up and shipped it all around the country and it took like 3+ weeks for me to get it, the company refunded our money without us even asking and even though it wasn't even their fault it was UPS that messed up.
Anyway, we ended up getting it for free.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Teva Men's Bormio Insulated Boot
Teva Men's Bormio Insulated Boot
Price: $132.00 - $179.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great winter boot so far, October 3, 2014
First thing I think I need to get straight here is this.
I have seen numerous reviews here and other sites state that the boots were at least 1 full size too small if you buy your usual size.
That in my case was complete nonsense, since so many said this I bought both a 10.5 and an 11.5 so that I could try both sizes and send the other back.
I normally wear a 10-10.5M and in a boot like this 95% of the time a 10.5M.
The 10.5M fits perfect, with just enough room for thick socks, I did not even try on the 11.5, never even took them out of the box.

So in my case these boots were dead on size wise, both in width and length.
So either some of these boots were made on a "N" Narrow last and shipped as "M" Medium OR some people just do not know that they are actually a "W" wide?
But for anyone that is a standard "M" width then I would suggest you buy your normal size you would for boots and do not do what I did.

Now that that is out of the way.
The look of the boot is nice, it appears quite well made, good materials, tread is very nice, leather is quality, with the short time I have had to check them out they appear to me to be what I would classify as a 10 year winter boot for those us that only have maybe a 30-45 day winter.
I tested them immediately for waterproofness by running cold water into the bathtub and standing in the water at ankle height for 5 minutes.
I felt zero water intrusion and felt zero temperature change, the cold water from our tap in about 55 degrees.
The gusseting on the tongue goes down fairly low, probably about even with your ankle, so actual "total" waterproofness is limited to about ankle height not to the top of boot.
I wore them around the house for awhile they felt nice and light, more like a "walking shoe" than the usual Sorel type Herman Munster Boots, so should have no problem driving a vehicle while wearing them.
They felt comfortable, BUT I have not worn them long nor walked far so that could change but initially they feel rather nice.
They feel like they will definitely be warm, but again do not really know yet.

Once I get some actual data, some empirical evidence about anything else I will update this review accordingly.
That will be at least 3 more months.
So far though I am impressed.

I Paid $59.87 BTW for these boots on another site.

(Edit) Oct 5th
Small update, I couldn't wait for cold or snow to try them so went on a 2 mile walk today in the woods.
Comfort wise no break in needed, they are comfortable right outa the box. I even forded a small stream about ankle deep no problems no leaks.
They felt like Walking Shoes instead of the usual winter boot.
It was 70 degrees out though and by the time the 2 mile walk was over I was more than ready to take them off as they were definitely too warm, although my feet were not wet with sweat, they were still comfortable just way too warm.
These are going to be awesome once the temps drop below freezing.
will update again in probably a couple months or so.
I also just ordered a pair of "Microspikes" complete with tote bag for $51.96, so a grand total of $111.83 for what appears to be the perfect winter boot for -10 to +35 temp range. The Microspikes will be perfect for those icy conditions.

(Edit) January 13th 2015
I have now worn these walking the dog for about 30 miles or more, totally comfortable, so far longest walk was 6 miles and were no problem very comfortable. I have decided that these are too warm to wear anything above about 35 degrees if I am going to be walking more than about 15 minutes in them. Lowest temp so far was about 19 and feet were toasty with light to medium weight socks.

High temp Nomex gasket fits Vision Grill, self stick w/ Lavalock (free damper gasket)
Offered by Island Outdoor, LLC
Price: $26.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice gasket, self stick is the way to go for sure., July 26, 2014
Been using this gasket 3 months now, have done I think about 6 pizza's during that time which is really the hardest thing on any Kamado gasket and see no signs of it burning or failing in any way.
Have done several cook outs with Burgers, Chicken and several low temp 225-275 smoking Boston Butts.

It installed very easily, I saw no need to take off the top dome for any reason because the self stick works so well it is just not needed.
In 3 months it shows no signs of coming unstuck so I don't see any reason that it will until it needs changing again.

The only thing I think that could be better is instead of having it bright white in color is to make it BLACK, would remain looking good that way.

Teva Men's Churn Performance Water Shoe
Teva Men's Churn Performance Water Shoe
Price: $69.69 - $90.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect all around comfortable shoe, July 26, 2014
I have been wearing basically nothing but these Tevas I would conservatively say 330+ days a year for the past I think it been about 5+ years now. In all that time I have not yet even worn them IN the water for their so called intended purpose, I wear them for everyday walking.
I have used them for Kayaking, mostly on SOT fishing Kayak but have barely gotten them wet.
So I can not even comment on them as far as a "water shoe" but that is not what I bought mine for anyway, I just wanted a very comfortable hot weather shoe.
I wear mine 100% of the time with a nice cotton or "walking sock" that wicks perspiration and since this shoe is so airy my feet and shoes stay bone dry and nice and cool. As I walk I can feel the breeze through the shoes they are almost like wearing sandals.
I normally wear a size 10-10.5 but in these I get an 11 and that fits perfect WITH socks, so I am thinking that Teva's sizing may be because you are supposed to be wearing these without socks, if I wore these as they were intended, no socks as a water shoe then my normal size of 10.5 would be perfect.

I have 3 pair of these, first pair from at least 5 years ago are now relegated to working in the yard or something like that, they are almost worn slam out but still holding together no problem and still comfortable they just look like I dragged them behind my truck, little rip hear and there and paint and deck stain on them and the rubber sole is worn thin.
My second pair I am wearing right now, been wearing them for at least 1 1/2 to 2 years now and they still look fine, probably at least 2 more years left in them. Mind you since I am wearing these virtually every single day all year long that is a lot of wear, probably more than most people would put on them in the timeframe.
My 3rd pair is in the closet in a box waiting in reserve.
and I am always looking for pair number 4, I just wait until someplace has them on sale for under $60.
If I can get 3 more pair that 6th pair I will be using them to scuff around the old folks home and be buried in.

For me these are the perfect shoe and other than in the dead of winter when I will most likely be wearing snow boots or my leather moccasins I wear in the house, I wear nothing but these Teva's because they are more comfortable than any other shoe I have ever worn.
They are lightweight, cool and breezy, excellent traction on any terrain, great for walking long distances.
I could literally wear these shoes to bed, they are that comfortable.
I always try to keep at least one brand new pair in reserve, if I see them on sale anywhere for $50 or less I will go ahead and buy 3 more pair and I am set for shoes for the rest of my life.

Edit: (August 9th 2014) I just found these for $37.77 at another place and bought them today for my 2nd pair in reserve. I now should have these for at least the next 10 years or more before I need another pair.
These are honestly the ONLY shoes that I wear anymore.

Sunforce 58012 Coleman 2 Watt Solar Panel Battery Maintainer
Sunforce 58012 Coleman 2 Watt Solar Panel Battery Maintainer
Price: $19.77
7 used & new from $19.77

1.0 out of 5 stars Apparently poorly made, July 8, 2014
Not much can be said about it.
It might have worked maybe 6 hours then just died while sitting on my dashboard.
Getting money back easily because I bought it from Amazon is the only good thing I can say about it.

Magnaflow 12286 Stainless Steel 2.5" Oval Muffler
Magnaflow 12286 Stainless Steel 2.5" Oval Muffler
Price: $116.96
74 used & new from $114.04

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, June 19, 2013
I loved the sound and the performance of this muffler, however it did not last 1000 miles.
I installed this muffler 2 days prior to a 8000 mile 27 day cross country trip and I only got started on the 3rd day of trip, maybe 1000 miles or so before it started rattling inside the muffler. This is 100% highway use, not one foot did I drive offroad.
Precisely the same as James states.
I decided to not go through 3 of them and 3 installs and returned this one and went with a Borla 40665 Pro XS

Which is a shame because performance wise and the sound I really liked this muffler and really there is no valid reason for this muffler to not last at least 10+ years minimum. It is just pure stupidity on the part of the company to cut what ever tiny corner that is causing this problem.

Thankfully Amazon as usual is absolutely fantastic on their return policy.
I called them and without any problem they sent a pre paid return label for a full refund.
I then ordered the Borla muffler from them, I have Amazon Prime so shipping was free, was supposed to get here like always in 2 days, yet in a few hours I got an email stating it had already shipped and will be here within 18 hours of when I ordered it. Cant not get better customer service than that.

It gets 4 stars for good sound and performance and take away at least 2 stars for poor quality control.

edit: 4/20/14 I am thinking that only some loon like the CEO or other person part of Magnaflow themselves would possibly rate this review as unhelpful, a good customer relations company would leave a comment and offer to rectify the problem.

Three Dog Bakery Jump 'N Sit Cranberry and Yogurt Bits, Baked Dog Treats, 12-Ounce
Price: $3.38
3 used & new from $3.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Chihuahua loves these, January 30, 2013
These are perfect training treats, good size, dry so you can just put a few in your pocket, good for the dog, good ingredients.
Problem is why the heck are they charging $8 for them?
I buy these all day long at our local Grocery store for $3.50 a box.
So the treats get a 5 star.
The price they are outa their mind.

Edit: Feb 20th, LOL I do the "Tell us about a lower price" thing above, saying I get them at $3.49 at mt local grocery store and have been for about a year, that is their normal price at the store, I have seen them numerous places for no more than $6 and bada bing they raise the price now from $8 to $11 ROTFL.
Why not just make it $19.95.
I would suggest any one reading this to buy these at Harris Teeter if you have one in your area.

Edit: March 20th, I just bought 4 boxes of these on sale (buy one get one free)at Harris Teeter so they were $1.75 per box.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2013 9:06 PM PDT

Uniden D2997 Loud and Clear Cordless Answering System with Big Buttons and Caller Announce
Offered by iSave
Price: $204.95
9 used & new from $37.95

1.0 out of 5 stars "Refurbished"!, January 10, 2013
Have only had this phone a couple days but I can tell you one thing that I am not at all pleased with is the fact that nowhere in the information on Amazon does it say that this product is REFURBISHED.
The one we got was blatantly refurbished, even the packaging was beat to hell and patched up with tape, had little red dot stickers top and bottom and a sticker on it that states refurbished. The base unit was very scratched up and the hand held unit was clearly very used.
Would have NEVER bought this if it was marketed as refurbished which it should have been. (minus 3 stars for this false advertising)

Having said that, the volume seems to be decent especially in Boost mode, phone seems to be "fair" at best.
one thing that is ignorant beyond belief is that it does not have speed dial. You have to put numbers and names in a "phonebook" then hit the phonebook button then a button that correlates to the name such as if you put in "Sam" then it will come up under the number "7" because that is where the S is then you have to hit "Talk/End" to dial and I assume that if you have several names under S that you have to keep hitting the 7 button repeatedly until the name appears.
Now that is basically ridiculous when you could at least set up say 10 speed dial numbers where you just do like every other phone on the planet does and just hold down the number for 3 seconds.
Trying to get my 95 year old mother to do this 3+ part 'slow dial" thing is almost like teaching my Chihuahua to drive. (minus 1 star for stupidity)

The charging light on the base unit is always red giving the impression that it is never really fully charged. (no more stars to minus).

Not even sure about the rest of it as we haven't had it long enough to know, but not pleased with it and would certainly not recommend it to anyone.

Only good thing is it wasn't expensive and with Amazon Prime we got it in 2 days for free shipping.

Agenda: Grinding America Down
Agenda: Grinding America Down
DVD ~ Curtis Bowers
Offered by zTops4U
Price: $17.73
28 used & new from $7.59

1.0 out of 5 stars Pure garbage, December 31, 2012
Not one single word of truth in this entire manureamentary.
I find it hard to believe that 143 people are this delusional, that is the scariest part is that it seems people today are so easily fooled by bald faced lies.
For instance the Tpublican candidate went an entire year telling one bald faced lie after after another and still managed to get 47% of the vote?
This is what politics has come down to, fooling the simple minded which is the sole intent of this steaming pile.
Comment Comments (25) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2013 6:49 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5