Profile for Eric F. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 145

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Eric F. RSS Feed (Long Island, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman & Howe: An Evening of Yes Music Plus
Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman & Howe: An Evening of Yes Music Plus
DVD ~ Jon Anderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Call this band what you want, it's still classic YES!, October 8, 2007
Without having had the benefit of seeing Yes-Symphonic Live 2001, this 1989 concert of ABWH is the best concert DVD I've ever seen. Far better than 9012Live, Keys to Ascention, Live from the House of Blues and the 35th Anniversary concert.

At this time, the band was reorganizing after nearly a decade of Trevor Rabin-based music. Their youth and their musical energy is still in top form, as is Jon Anderson's voice.

Despite what other viewers might think, the picture and sound are excellent! The only flaw I find is that I know that for whatever reasons, the makers of this DVD chose to edit portions of the show where Jon addresses the audience in between songs. I know that it's missing because I remember seeing this identical show back in 1989 on Pay-per-View. Beyond that, a classic YES show!

By the way, the word PLUS in the title refers to songs from the Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe album that are performed in addition to classic YES songs - An evening of Yes music PLUS. Get it?

Blade Runner (The Final Cut) (Two-Disc Special Edition)
Blade Runner (The Final Cut) (Two-Disc Special Edition)
DVD ~ Harrison Ford
Offered by Big_Box_Bargains
Price: $14.04
137 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Always fixing, but never broken in the first place., October 8, 2007
I had the opportunity to see the new "Final Cut" of BLADE RUNNER on screen in New York City this past weekend. As always, it's one of my favorite science fiction films of all time and I welcome any opportunity to see it on the big screen, in any version.

First, I have to say that I saw this when it was first released in June 1982. The original theatrical version with Harrison Ford's voice-over and the Hollywood happy ending is still and will always be my favorite version. That said, the only thing I can honestly claim is an improvement with the "Final Cut" is the sharper, remastered print. As far as the film itself, it is almost completely identical to the 1992 Director's Cut. There are some extra pieces of dialogue and extended scenes thrown in, which in my opinion, don't expand the film at all. The added scenes of violence are not new to the BLADE RUNNER fan. They've been available for view ever since the film first appeared on video cassette in the '80's.

If you already own the Director's Cut of BLADE RUNNER on DVD, then save your money. Buying it all over again for the "Final Cut" will not gain you much, except a larger hole in your wallet.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2008 10:32 AM PDT

The Night the DeFeos Died
The Night the DeFeos Died
by Ric Osuna
Price: $17.99
36 used & new from $15.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Are we any closer to the truth?, September 16, 2007
As a Long Islander who grew up with the books, the movies and the myths, this book caught my attention enough to actually make it the first true crime book I've ever read.

At best, THE NIGHT THE DEFEOS DIED is an entertaining, page-turning read. However, because the book deals mostly with facts that are derived from murderer Butch DeFeo, whom the author admit has lied many times over to accomodate his situations and circumstances, the accounts of what happend the night the DeFeos died can only be concluded as another version of what happened and not necessarily the truth.

In the end, I felt I learned more truths about George and Kathy Lutz and the con artists that they were when they concocted the entire hoax that would become the Amityville horror legend.

So as I said; entertaining, yes. Truth? Not necessarilty. Just another version of what COULD have happened. Like the Kennedy assassination, we may never know what really happened the night the DeFeos died.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2014 2:35 PM PST

Rush: Grace Under Pressure Tour 1984
Rush: Grace Under Pressure Tour 1984
DVD ~ Rush
Price: $9.89
25 used & new from $7.49

4.0 out of 5 stars RUSH at their 80's peak!, August 1, 2007
When I was in college, this was the first (and favorite) concert video I owned. Years later, I (very stupidly) sold it. Recently, I spend nearly a year waiting for a used VHS copy to become available on [...] for a reasonable price, and finally got it. Then, wouldn't you know it, the concert finally becomes available on DVD individually, without having to buy EXIT...STAGE LEFT and A SHOW OF HANDS with it.

This is my favorite RUSH video concert for several reasons. For one thing, I enjoy concerts that are videotaped rather than filmed. It also captures Rush (in my opinion) at their golden moments in the 1980's, when their two previous albums, Moving Pictures and Signals had put them at the top of their fame. From 1981 through 1986, Rush was known for always opening their shows with "Spirit of Radio" and this one doesn't disappoint. It also includes the "Fear" trilogy of "The Enemy Within", "The Weapon" and "Witchunt" and the popular instrumental, "YYZ".

I deduct one star because it's disappointing that after more than two decades, the DVD show is still only 69 minutes long, without more of the complete show offered to the fans.

Classic Elton John
Classic Elton John
60 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars I got this at McDonalds!, July 20, 2007
This review is from: Classic Elton John (Audio CD)
No joke. It was a promotion back in 1995. Free with the purchase of any sandwich. Garth Brooks did the T.V. commercial.

Great songs, but there are better compilations.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2007 2:02 PM PST

The Jazz Singer (Three-Disc Deluxe Edition)
The Jazz Singer (Three-Disc Deluxe Edition)
DVD ~ Al Jolson
Price: $29.96
12 used & new from $28.35

4.0 out of 5 stars A great and legendary film!, July 12, 2007
Those who know the film and history need not hear anymore from me. But I have to say, I'm glad I already own this movie in a great condition VHS tape, because I don't care to pay nearly $40.00 retail for a deluxe edition with two extra discs that I don't really care about. Perhaps if they re-release it later as just a single disc with the film only, then I'll purchase it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 8, 2007 6:19 AM PDT

U2 Live at Red Rocks: Under a Blood Red Sky [VHS]
U2 Live at Red Rocks: Under a Blood Red Sky [VHS]
VHS
Offered by EchoesShop
Price: $28.95
29 used & new from $0.21

4.0 out of 5 stars U2 at their prime of rock music!, June 28, 2007
This is still a great concert to watch after 24 years! However, I think the filmakers should have chosen a better day, weather-wise, to videotape this show, because the camera shows many picture imperfections due to the weather at the time. Throughout the video, there are thick streaking black lines across the picture that I can only describe as images that look like branches (no joke!). It seems evident from one particular camera on stage with the band, almost as if there's something on the lens.

When and if they release this show on DVD, it needs to be cleaned up considerably. But for now, this being all that's available, it's still a classic U2 concert, before the band sold out to their '90's "pop" image!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2007 10:09 AM PDT

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously diabolical!, June 8, 2007
In a summer movie season where there are at least nine or ten mindless sequels (six of them are PART III's!) being shoved down our throats, MR. BROOKS is a refreshing dosage of original thrills, surprises, twists and good solid acting from Kevin Costner and William Hurt (Brook's evil alter-ego). Hell, I even enjoyed Demi Moore's performance as the wealthy detective.

The only flaw in the story (spoiler), in my opinion, is the suggestion that Earle Brooks's daughter may have contracted her father's "addiction" to killing people. Very far-fetched and over the top for me. Beyond that, this movie was a rare good reason to even bother going to the movies this summer.

New York Yankees 1977 World Series Collector's Edition
New York Yankees 1977 World Series Collector's Edition
DVD ~ Reggie Jackson
Price: $30.03
12 used & new from $29.33

4.0 out of 5 stars For those who remember and those who will never forget..., June 4, 2007
"Reggie! Reggie! Reggie!"

Those who love baseball or even just like it often have that one era that absolutely defined the game for them; for me, it was, and always will be the 1977 New York Yankees - the time of Thurman Munson (R.I.P.), Bucky Dent, Lou Piniella, Graig Nettles, Billy Martin and my all-time favortie baseball hero (to this day), REGGIE JACKSON!!!

From my perspective and my memories, I recall that in 1977, the eyes of the world seem to momentarily focus on New York City - some crazy mountain climber (can't remember his name) decided to scale one of the twin towers of the World Trade Center and was fined $1.10 for all 110 stories of the building, the Son of Sam serial killer was still at large, NYC nearly tore itself apart during the summer blackout, disco and Studio 54 ruled the night and, oh yeah, Jackson's three (3) legendary home runs during Game 6 of the World Series against the L.A. Dodgers. They would repeat their World Series victory against the Dodgers once again a year later in 1978.

Despite the poor picture quality at time (these TV telecasts are 30 years-old; what more can you expect?), I was in awe of watching my classic baseball heroes take the field again. I had also completely forgotten that when Game 6 ended and the Yankess won it, Reggie had to literally run for his life off of the field in order to avoid being mauled by the joyous fans who swarmed the field.

I'll always remember and I'll never forget!

Deja Vu
Deja Vu
DVD ~ Denzel Washington
Price: $5.00
303 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcomed surprise from Tony Scott., May 14, 2007
This review is from: Deja Vu (DVD)
After I saw MAN ON FIRE in 2004, I was sure I'd never want to watch another Tony Scott film again because I'd had it up to here with his quick edit, camera-jumping style of film making. I'm happy to say he abandoned most of that for DEJA VU, and the result is a high-concept, intelligent action thriller that takes us through time and space (in an entertainly complicated matter, much in the way that BACK TO THE FUTURE - PART II did) in an attempt to prevent a terrorist explosion from happening aboard a boat in New Orleans.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15