Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale
Profile for T. Finley > Reviews

Browse

T. Finley's Profile

Customer Reviews: 40

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

T. Finley RSS Feed (Daytona Beach, FL USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek Deep Space Nine (Unnumbered Paperback))
by Olivia Woods
29 used & new from $9.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Really glad I read this!, September 7, 2015
A very satisfying addition to the ST: DS9 mythos.

Blood Surfer: A Thunder City Novel, Book 1
Blood Surfer: A Thunder City Novel, Book 1
Price: $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A cool new take on superheroes, September 7, 2015
Wow, does this story start with a bang! The reader is thrown right into the action, with no exposition, which leads to immediate engagement and buy-in. It's a terrific beginning to a promising new series, one I hope continues for many volumes.

No spoilers here, but I will say that this is a world where a significant number of people have superhuman powers from birth. These folks are called "alts," and they are not welcome everywhere. The reason? They have damaged a lot of infrastructure and almost never paid to have it repaired, as we have all seen in every superhero movie. Some have mental powers that can threaten the privacy and security of "normal" humans. The people in this series have dealt with it by physically separating the alts and the humans who don't want to live with them. The alts and most "normals" live on separate sides of a river or bay; the alts are in fact banned from the humans-only side.

Our male protagonist is a normal human cop with a lot of enemies and a hatred of alts. Our female protagonist is an unregistered alt living on the wrong side of the bay, on the run and terrified. They meet under dire circumstances, saving one another right very early on, then have to deal with the fallout. (So much fallout!) The momentum builds, secondary characters play major roles, and the danger builds to a very satisfying conclusion.

This is a richly imagined world, with some very complex characters and a storyline that is complete in itself, but with some hints that there's a bigger set of problems coming in book 2.

I really enjoyed my ARC of this novel and look forward to reading more, more, more.

Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse Book 1)
Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse Book 1)
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful start!, September 3, 2015
Truly original and intriguing. A great start to what I hope to find a great series. (Friends of mine love it!)

Caliban's War (The Expanse Book 2)
Caliban's War (The Expanse Book 2)
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars So good!, September 3, 2015
A really good sequel to book 1 in the series. And the last twist? (Don't worry: no spoilers, I promise.) Whoa. Bring on book 3!

The Cormorant
The Cormorant
by Chuck Wendig
15 used & new from $9.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Chuck Wendig did it again... thank the writing deities!, August 23, 2015
Ho-lee Wendig, this book is not for the faint of heart. Our favorite death-seer Miriam goes through hell, tormented and taunted by someone from her past, and she takes us along for the ride... a ride over broken asphalt, crushed-shell paths, vertiginous dropoffs, and narrow bridges over turbulent waters. We emerge bruised and battered, but nowhere near as much as poor Miriam or the people who've dared - or been unlucky - enough to interact with her.

Wendig tells the tale as only he can, in blunt, bloody images, using words like gore-dipped bamboo canes. The story is beaten into us, leaving raw welts and stinging cuts on all our tender places. And just like a thorough caning, it's sure to leave a mark.

Thank you, Chuck, may we have another?

Deadly Lover
Deadly Lover
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, with technical/editing reservations, May 7, 2015
This review is from: Deadly Lover (Kindle Edition)
The story is so good, engaging and original! The main character, Lily, is the most well-rounded of the crew, a sympathetic and likable woman of remarkable courage and honor. The male lead, an alien named Jolaj, is an intriguing Ormney man, perhaps a little too good to be true. Lily's recent past includes terrible injuries from a different Ormney male, one whom she trusted and liked, but who was drugged into a murderous state... forcing Lily to kill him in self-defense. That trauma has left her understandably panicky when she is too physically close to other Ormney. Yet she feels drawn to Jolaj, and he to her, and she is able to overcome her flight response more quickly than I would have expected. The two of them are key to solving a series of interspecies murders before the situation between the humans and the Ormney becomes untenable.

The murders are grim and bloody, the sex scenes are hot, and the story moves along at a perfect pace. The writing is so good that it was easy to immerse myself in the worldbuilding and character interactions.

The only things that kept me from giving this story 5 stars, the only things that pulled me out of the story, were the multiple typos and editing errors. I was reading an e-version, perhaps an early one, that really could use a thorough line-edit. As I used to be an editor, I am perhaps too sensitive to misspellings, misplaced punctuation, editing remnants, and the like, and no book is perfectly edited, but there were more than a handful of them. I hope the author is able to fix them before the next edition comes out.

All in all, though, a terrific read. I'm hoping for more stories set in this world.

Camellias 26pc Double Steel Boned Waist Training Corset Underbust Waist Cincher, SZ1912-Black-6XL
Offered by ShaperX LLC (US Seller)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for waist-training!, February 26, 2015
A strong, excellent corset that's perfect for those of us who need more cinching in than accessorizing.

Camellias 24pc Steel Boned Satin Underbust Waist Training Corset Shaper Bustier, SZ1903-Black-6XL
Offered by ShaperX LLC (US Seller)
Price: $35.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for waist-training at all., February 11, 2015
The boning is too flimsy, with no shaping at all. The photo didn't really represent the structure well, and you certainly can't get an idea for how easily the boning flexes.

By Chuck Wendig - Mockingbird (Original) (7/29/12)
By Chuck Wendig - Mockingbird (Original) (7/29/12)
by Chuck Wendig
16 used & new from $22.62

4.0 out of 5 stars I do love Chuck Wendig's creation, January 15, 2015
I do love Chuck Wendig's creation, Miriam Black! She's profane, dark, tormented, jaded, and just a bit sweet. Of course, if I were a very intelligent young woman whose background included neglect and abuse *and* who had no choice but to experience the final moments of someone's life every time I touched his or her skin, I could only hope to keep that touch of sweetness Miriam has retained.

Wendig really puts Miriam and everyone in her world through hell in this novel, in full sensoround detail. It's not for the faint of heart.

No spoilers here, just a word of caution: Miriam's world just got even blacker, which is no small feat. Enjoy! I did.

Temptation
Temptation
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't put off reading this novel!, January 13, 2015
This review is from: Temptation (Kindle Edition)
I received a bound preview copy of this book, I believe via a goodreads.com First Reads drawing, several months ago. And I put off reading it when I discovered it was set in Amish country and the author had mentioned "capital-G" God in the first pages. Nope, not for me, I decided, and set it aside for a time of reading desperation, when I had nothing else at hand to read *and* reading a dead-tree book was my only option. Eventually, that situation arose, so I reluctantly started Temptation...

... and was so pleasantly surprised! It's a really good book! Far from being a religious romance, it's a tale of people from vastly different backgrounds and lifestyles who are drawn together by circumstance and mutual attraction. I found the dilemmas and plotlines to be nuanced and believable enough to keep me entertained and concerned about the major characters.

I do indeed recommend this book. And I apologize to the author for my closeminded recalcitrance. It was truly my loss.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4