Profile for Robert Vanorden > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robert Vanorden RSS Feed

COD Stand Leather Case For Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition Tablet (Brown)
COD Stand Leather Case For Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition Tablet (Brown)
Offered by CrazyOnDigital Corp.
Price: $8.85
2 used & new from $3.85

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work ... otherwise, it's just okay., December 13, 2013
So I wanted a rotating case for the new 10.1 2014 Edition. Taurus (i believe) pioneered this style, not much available from them yet so I thought I'd give this one a try.

Pro's.
It holds the tablet.
It feels good in hand.

Cons.
The auto-off can't possibly work consistently. First, the tiny magnet is way back from the edge, all the way to the first "ridge".
The ridges, keep the magnet from getting remotely close enough to the tablet surface to turn it off. Squeeze it tight, turns off the tablet. Let go of it... tablet wakes up. And you can't tell it's on. I see a lot of dead tablets due to this.

I'd like to think it would at least function ... I didn't expect a high-dollar piece and can live with the fairly light weight materials (especially in the fold, where the binding of a geek would be. I did expect the auto-off to work. Going to have to send it back. Bummer too, I really hate spending on tablet covers.

Bottom line ... if you don't care about auto-sleep, it's worth the 15.00. A little floppy, but still, it's surprising ANYTHING can be made for that price anymore.

Shark Navigator Professional 3-in-1 Lift-Away Rotator (With Additional Accessories Included) - Model NV500/NV501
Offered by International Coffee & Books
Price: $332.12
5 used & new from $299.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not easily impressed., May 15, 2013
Just a short note to say this; seldom am I inspired to review products. But I really need to this time. The Shark Navigator Pro is out of the box the best vacuum I've ever used. If it lasts, which it appears it will, it's a SMOKING deal compared to the Dyson it's replacing.

Took it out of the box and assembled it.
Vacuumed our family room, which was done Sunday (today is Wednesday) with the Dyson.
Vacuumed it again with the Shark.

HOLY COW. DISGUSTING.

We have two dogs (a Pug and a German Shepherd) and expect to fill canisters. But the room I had just done with the Dyson, produced half a canister full on the Shark! The brush also works VERY well, the traffic pattern areas even fluffed back up ... AMAZING.

It takes a lot to get me excited about a product, I'm usually disappointed actually, I research a LOT before I buy and am usually let down a little when the product finally arrives. It sometimes seems stuff just isn't made as well or doesn't work as well as I think it should.

I can't believe I'm writing about a vacuum! But this thing actually lives up to the hype.

Fromm Gold Large Breed Puppy Dry Food 33lb
Fromm Gold Large Breed Puppy Dry Food 33lb
Offered by PetFoodStation
Price: $53.99
8 used & new from $47.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, But worth every penny, March 26, 2013
So I've always wanted to provide my dogs with the best food possible, at least the best food I could afford at the time. There have been times when the dog's weekly food bill was higher than mine. There have been times when the best I could do was grocery store crap. I, to this day, nearly 10 years later, regret that my Golden ate that stuff and lasted only 9 years. His coat was never what it should have been, his digestive system always taxed. He was an awesome dog, but i should have done better by him, he gave me his best, I didn't return the favor.

Fast forward to the wife's Pug ... the shedding dog from Hadies. Now, on a mixture of Fromm kibble and Honest Kitchen "Force" dehydrated raw, she is not over weight, her coat is super soft and her shedding has all but stopped.

We brought home a West German show line GSD 2 months ago, now at 5 months. He was on Innova at the breeder, which we continued. His stool was always runny, his energy level low. Worked him into Honest Kitchen "Embark" mixed with Fromm Large Breed Puppy ... the change was dramatic. His coat his incredibly shinny, his weight perfect (not growing too fast) and his energy level is spot on for a pup of his age. His stools are compact, tight and easy to pick up. He's an excellent example of what a GSD should be, not a roached back, poorly breed American Show line, but a nice cross between a Show line and a working line. Excellent temperament. Yes, he was expensive. He will get the best diet I can afford.

Fromm is the REAL DEAL. Spend the money on that 4-legged family member, trust me, it's worth every penny.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2014 8:56 AM PST

VIZIO VHT510 5.1-Channel Home Theater System (Black)
VIZIO VHT510 5.1-Channel Home Theater System (Black)
2 used & new from $185.51

3.0 out of 5 stars Was hoping for a break, February 19, 2011
So I was in the market for a boost in the family room TV's sound, have done the home theater thing, wife does not enjoy floor standing speakers, wires, etc. So, I researched sound bars. 3-4 models show up all over the web that are highly rated (not the big money stuff). This Vizio was one that nearly every user liked the sound of. Nearly every user also mentioned that the indicator LED's failed. I was hoping for a break, maybe the newer stock at Amazon had been fixed.

Nope.

LED's lasted 3-4 hours. Now, this thing does sound very good for what it is... the failed LED's don't effect the sound. The LED's aren't required, but are useful in setting levels, confirmation that the smaller adjustments to sound are being received from the remote.

Don't know if I'll go thru the hassle of boxing this thing up, arranging for a pick-up, being around for that, or just live with it. Chances are if I return it, the replacement will do the same thing.

Like I said, the sound is great for such a small, inexpensive system. I tried and returned the Sony 350, also highly regarded, sonically, it can't touch the Vizio and costs $100+ more. Easy decision there.

Mr. Heater MH18B, Portable Propane Heater
Mr. Heater MH18B, Portable Propane Heater
Offered by Acme Tools
Price: $132.99
74 used & new from $99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Caution: Do NOT buy the "Bought Together" filter and hose, November 9, 2010
The "frequently bough together" option puts the wrong hose and filter together. The hose is the quick connect type, the filter does not accept this fitting, you can't use then with the heater. You need the NON (and cheaper) quick connect hose and filter.

Will update this review with notes after using the heater on a Thanksgiving weekend camping trip.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2011 12:21 AM PDT

The Urban Survivalist Handbook
The Urban Survivalist Handbook
Price: $5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written, lacking, July 5, 2010
So I read through the kindle sample, aside from the several typos and intelligible sentences,per page, the was little if any useful info.
Pass on this one.

Danner Men's Desert Acadia 8" Mojave Military Boot
Danner Men's Desert Acadia 8" Mojave Military Boot

5.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, January 28, 2010
While the images on amazon do NOT match the color of this boot (see Danner's site at [...]) for an accurate image), there is not enough that can be said about the quality and out-of-the-box comfort of this American, hand crafted boot. I am more than pleased. If the current administration wants to spend money, give these to all the troops, not just the Marines.

Coleman WeatherMaster 10-Person Tent
Coleman WeatherMaster 10-Person Tent
Price: Click here to see our price
51 used & new from $191.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent For The Dollars, January 24, 2010
Went round and round for a large tent for car camping, you know, when the whole tribe goes.
Got out this weekend for the first time with the WeatherMaster 10.

1) Setup was easy with one person, pretty windy so the fly was a little bit of a challenge, but doable alone.
2) Well made, well designed product. We had three full size men in there, all with oversized cots and all our gear. Pleanty of room.
3) Ventilates really well.
4. FULL DAY of steady rain on Saturday, found only one leak in a corner, maybe 3 tablespoons of water; didn't have time to get the seams sealed before heading out. Will cover that when I set it up to clean. Did very well though, it was a LOT of rain.

Very happy with the purchase.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2011 12:45 PM PDT