Profile for Randy B. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Randy B. RSS Feed (Sandia Park, NM USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Vanishing Point [Blu-ray]
Vanishing Point [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Barry Newman
Price: $8.99
36 used & new from $6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Movie is still a classic but Blu-ray doesn't work, April 28, 2014
The movie is still a classic and I gave it five stars but I had to return the disc. I don't buy many disks but the last few Blu-ray discs I've bought skip and hang up while playing in my player. Updating the firmware 1-shouldn't be necessary and 2-didn't help anyway. Speculation is that Hollywood updates the copy protection and renders older players unable to play their product. I'm done buying Blu-rays. Give me something that works.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2014 2:50 PM PDT

Rolland Office Chair Caster Wheel OEM Replacement - Stem Diameter: 11mm, Stem Length: 22mm - 5 Unit/Pack
Offered by CRESNEL
Price: $11.98
2 used & new from $11.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect replacement for my chair., February 3, 2014
Appreciate how well they were described - easy to tell these were the right size to replace my broken caster wheel and save my chair from the scrap heap.

FiiO E6 Portable Headphone Amplifier - Black
FiiO E6 Portable Headphone Amplifier - Black
Offered by HiFi AudioTronics
Price: $27.99
33 used & new from $23.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little amp, September 7, 2012
I bought this to boost the output from my Ipod high enough to listen to tunes on the motorcycle. It is a perfect size, had great battery life and a more than adequate output. Highly recommended. I was so impressed I bought a second one for a backup.

Tork X-Pro Motorcycle Helmet Speakers (with Volume Control)
Tork X-Pro Motorcycle Helmet Speakers (with Volume Control)
Offered by HelmetAudio
Price: $79.95
2 used & new from $74.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, September 7, 2012
I was hesitant to spend this much on helmet speakers, but after wasting money on several cheap sets of helmet speakers, I decided to take a chance. The sound quality of these in my helmet is awesome even over the wind/bike noise. I couldn't be happier. You'll need an amplifier with most music players. I bought the Fiio E6 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HJWWW8/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00) and together I don't think you could get better sound while riding. The cord that comes out of the helmet is longer than it needs to be - a minor issues. Ride safe.

Progo Power Pack: (Two Li-ion Rechargeable Batteries and One Pocket Rapid Travel Charger With Car Adapter) for Sony NP-BG1, NP-FG1. Fits Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H3, DSC-H7, DSC-H9, DSC-H10, DSC-H20, DSC-H50, DSC-H55, DSC-H70, DSC-H90, DSC-HX5V, DSC-HX7V, DSC-HX9V, DSC-HX10V, DSC-HX20V, DSC-HX30V, DSC-N1, DSC-N2, DSC-T100, DSC-T20, DSC-W100, DSC-W120, DSC-W130, DSC-W150, DSC-W170, DSC-W200, DSC-W210, D
Offered by YoKool
Price: $15.69
3 used & new from $12.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware, September 7, 2012
Worked for about two charges. Now, in the middle of a two week vacation neither battery will charge nor will the charger charge the original Sony battery that came with the camera. What a piece of junk.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2012 9:44 AM PDT

Miccus Mini-jack RX: Bluetooth Music Receiver pair it with Phones, Tablets, PCs and Apple Devices
Price: $34.37
7 used & new from $18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for motorcycle helmet, February 11, 2012
I was looking for a simple way to convert the headphones in my motorcycle helmet to bluetooth and this turned out to be the perfect solution. Most helmet bluetooth setups on the market include boom microphones and intercom and other features I don't need. I just want to listen to music. The BluBridge is small and easily attached with velcro to my helmet. I also purchased the Miccus BluBridge transmitter, Miccus BluBridge Mini-Jack: Bluetooth Music Transmitter adds Bluetooth ability to any Non-Bluetooth Audio Source (BBMJ-02), so I could continue to use my old Ipod as the music source.

Pairing was easy and I had the entire setup up and running in less than five minutes. Sound quality is good and the price is right.

Acer Ferrari One FO200-1799 11.6-Inch Red Netbook - Up to 5 Hours of Battery Life

1.0 out of 5 stars Crashed in less than two weeks, June 12, 2010
Years ago Acer had a terrible reputation and that has stuck with me. But after reading the reviews for the Ferrari FO200 here on Amazon I decided to take a chance.

I was very encouraged when I received it - nice looking. After spending hours loading my software and transferring my files it locked up on the first road trip. Multiple disk errors, wouldn't boot. There I sit with clients unable to access their data.

Options are to return it to Acer with all my personal data on the hard drive or buy a rescue disk and replacement hard drive and start over spending another two days getting everything loaded. At this point I'll probably trash it. My time is too valuable and I'm sick and tired of products that don't work.

I was also very disappointed in the battery life and how hot it runs. If you go with this model create the rescue disk immediately. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did. Acer's reputation is still poor in my experience.

UPDATE ONE MONTH LATER
I ordered the restore disks from Acer and they showed up in a couple of days. I bought a new hard drive from Amazon and restored the system to new. Everything seems to work fine. BUT the system is frustratingly slow. CPU cycles are reading 5% and it still takes a full minute for Excel to load! I thought my Toshiba netbook was slow but this is a joke for a dual core 64-bit computer with 4 GB of RAM.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 25, 2010 5:07 AM PDT

Brother MFC-9320CW High Quality Digital Color All-in-One Printer with Wireless Networking
4 used & new from $450.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive - especially compared to similar HP products, April 12, 2010
I've always used HP equipment but after my experiences with their 3030 model (similar MFD - laser but not color)and their clunky software, unwillingness to update drivers for Win7 and general dysfunction I decided, based on the other reviews here on Amazon, to give the Brother a try.

I am very impressed. All the functions seem to work flawlessly. The ADF is good, no jams so far (unlike the HP which pretty-much requires me to feed each sheet manually). Scanning is fast. The software has a finished feel and is easy to operate. It's not a photo printer but the color quality seems fine (although I don't print much in color anyway)

I'm probably going to buy a second one for my other office and relegate the HP 3030 to the dumpster.

Highly recommended.

Sony VAIO VGN-SZ491N/X 13.3-inch Laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo T7400 2.16 GHz Processor, 2 GB RAM, 200 GB Hard Drive, DVD RW Drive, Vista Business)

1.0 out of 5 stars The computer that sold me on the swith to Mac, October 28, 2007
A friend of mine told me he switched to Macs a few years ago because he was tired of rebuilding his Windows machines every time he turned them on. After 24 hours with this system, that's not much of an exaggeration.

Don't buy this $2,500 Sony unless you're prepared for continuing frustration and slooooooower than a turtle performance. After 24 hours with this system I'd have done better with a brick. I gave up.

Vista Business is frustratingly slow, it takes forever to boot - in fact, it takes forever to do just about anything.

If you don't install all of the Vista updates immediately upon initially turning this Sony notebook on, you'll end up on phone support with Sony with a "invalid activation key" error, which basically meant everything I had installed was lost and I had to start over.

Sony support was very helpful in resolving this "well-known Vista issue," but if it is so "well known," then why didn't Sony fix it before they shipped out this overpriced piece of junk?

I tried reinstalling some of my Windows XP programs and found them not compatible with Vista. No problem, use System Restore, right? Wrong. System restore gave a message that said it couldn't restore - typical Microsoft, no explanation or suggestions. An internet search suggested restoring from safe mode. That didn't work either.

Don't order it and if you do, don't open it unless you want to get stuck for a 15% restocking fee. I knew this going in. I don't blame Amazon, they handled the return with their typically good customer service (I'll let you know if the credit doesn't show up in a timely way). I do blame Sony for shipping them out without the critical patches installed. Mostly I blame Microsoft for introducing another not-ready-for-primetime, bloated operating system. Goodbye Microsoft. I'll convert my desktops to Macs too over the next couple years too and never look back.

Even the re-stocking fee is worth it to get rid of this overpriced junk. I got a top-of-the-line MacBook with their latest (just released) operating system (and a REAL battery life of over 4 hours) for $850 less. Even after repurchasing software, I'll still be several hundred dollars ahead.

The Entitled
The Entitled
by Frank Deford
140 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A great journey, May 24, 2007
This review is from: The Entitled (Hardcover)
I guess books are ultimately judged by their endings and judging from the editorial reviews on Amazon, the ending of this one leaves something to be desired. But I believe in the journey, not the destination. I'm halfway through this book, so I can't judge the ending, but Deford has written an engaging baseball novel that leaves me anxiously awaiting for time to read the next chapter.

I've always chastised John Grisham for his ending to The Partner - it was nonsensical and contrived But it was still one of his best novels.

So no matter how this one turns out, it is a great journey.

Page: 1 | 2