Profile for Baroness Von Grim > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 45

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Baroness Von Grim "Ophelia Grim" RSS Feed (Verslums)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Solution for My Confused Complexion, June 13, 2004
As I've grown older, my skin changed from oily to combination (ahh, the joy of hormones). I was forced to find new skin products better suited for my unruly complexion.
I started using *Urban Decay's Surreal Skin Foundation* several months ago and haven't found anything to complain about. It is of a thinner consistency than other foundations I've tried, which I like because it allows easier control over amount of coverage. It is lightweight, smooth to apply, has not caused any breakouts nor dries out the areas that decided they wanted to flake-out on me. The SPF 15 is a major plus.
It comes in a good sized plastic tube, quite a bit for the buck compared to a lot of other foundations. Excellent deal.

Musical Healing
Musical Healing
Price: $14.99
50 used & new from $1.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Soothing Sounds for the Stressed-Out, June 12, 2004
This review is from: Musical Healing (Audio CD)
On the back of this CD it states this music is by "pioneer sound healers". I'm aware of the therapeutic effects that music can possess but I've never heard of "sound healers" before. I won't argue, I'll take their word for it. One thing I do know - this is incredibly beautiful and effective music for meditating, relaxing and falling asleep.
Some numbers contain the serene bliss of nature sounds right up front combined with soothing melodies while others keep the ocean, wind and whatever else softly layered in the background. A few more numbers are accompanied by whispery female vocals. All the tracks flow together nicely without any abrupt changes in mood.
On a few occasions I've listened to this CD while working on the computer - right now is a good example - and have noticed less tension in my neck and shoulders and my breathing slower and deeper. Anything that succeeds at the demanding task of coaxing my twitchy little brain into an even partial state of tranquility truly deserves my highest recommendation.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Wanna Feel Luscious?, June 12, 2004
This is the perfume equivalent of D&G's couture: lush, sumptuous, and swoon worthy. I've read different ingredients from different sources but they all seem to agree that it contains tangerine, orange flowers, basil, and carnation. I've also seen this recommended as a day scent, then as an evening scent. If you love this and are anything like me, you'll wear it whenever you please.
The bottle is far less glam then I would've expected, especially considering the scent that is enclosed. This is heady stuff. If you're seeing someone who doesn't like potent perfumes then you may consider dumping him. This fragrance possesses the capacity to frighten away the weaker of the male species - one excellent reason to wear it. I love it, indeed I do, I find it intoxicating and delicious. I would strongly recommend against dowsing yourself all over, with this D&G fragrance less is plenty.
If you love Dior's Poison then you'll most likely be mad about this.

Fairie-ality: The Fashion Collection from the House of Ellwand
Fairie-ality: The Fashion Collection from the House of Ellwand
by Eugenie Bird
Price: $25.31
99 used & new from $4.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Fashions Fit for a Fairy Queen, June 12, 2004
What a gorgeous book filled with gossamer wings and wispy things. I felt I was peeking into Queen Tatiana's closet; indeed, this is the wardrobe of royalty - a fairy fashion dreambook. Such a feast for artists, poets, fantasy lovers, and wee fashionistas of the sidh.
*Fairie-ailty* is a large, hefty book - especially, considering the feathery lightness of its contents - and made of top quality materials. All the better to display the sumptuous beauty enclosed between its covers.
The fairy finery on display are photos and etchings of gorgeous garments impeccably layered with beads and buttons and items from nature's bounty: flower petals, feathers, seeds, shells, etc.
As a collagist and art lover, I give it my highest praise. My one complaint: I would not be able to fit into any of these little lovelies.

The Happy Mutant Handbook
The Happy Mutant Handbook
by Gareth Branwyn
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
41 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Looney Anarchy with a Side of Jello-O, June 10, 2004
Do you laugh at authority, enjoy silly putty, get a kick outta kitsch, appreciate goofy pranks, take pride in being a do-it-yourselfer? Do your knees get weak over Water Wiennies, Sea Monkeys, Crazy Straws, or Esquivel? If you answered "yes" to a few or more of these then you are probably a happy mutant and this book is for you.
It's great. You'll find tips on building hacking, how to do "your" work while appearing to be doing "their" work, turning the tables on telemarketers, creating your own personal anti-marketing strategy, getting your zine seen, and The Urban Absurdist Survival Kit which offers official looking signs you can copy and stick around to confuse and amuse. It also includes character profiles of idiots you are likely to run into on the net, conveniently printed up as cards to cut out and keep handy for quick identification. Plus, articles on Ivan Stang, Roger Corman, Jim Ludtke, and Patch Adams (oooh, even scarier than Robin Williams).
Get your giggles off while undermining the Man. But, this book isn't all just fun and games, it contains a degree of seriousness, yet it is also serious fun. *The Happy Mutant Handbook* possesses teeth but when it nips it aims for the funny bone.
Buy this book, read it, play with it, give it a hug. You two kids could become really good friends.

When Did Wild Poodles Roam the Earth
When Did Wild Poodles Roam the Earth
by David Feldman
14 used & new from $5.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch Out for FiFi, June 10, 2004
It's not a question of "when" but "where". I can no longer even walk to the corner convenience store for a Mountain Dew and bag of pork rinds because of the fierce (yet, impeccably groomed) poodle pack that now terrorizes my neighborhood. Last time I tried, FiFi and her two toy henchmen, Mr. Patty Cakes and Deux Deux, leapt out from behind some bushes and tackled me to the ground. They threatened me with their finely cut rhinestone collars and candy colored toenails. FiFi told me that if I ever set foot on their turf again they would use my liver for their lunchtime fois gras. The other two laughed in ear piercing yelps. I was afraid, very afraid.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Running, 2nd Edition
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Running, 2nd Edition
by Scott Douglas
94 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I May be an Idiot but this Book is About Running, June 10, 2004
Wow, I was laid flat when I opened up this book. These pages are really serious about running. And they haven't returned yet.

Paradoxia: A Predator's Diary
Paradoxia: A Predator's Diary
by Lydia Lynch
24 used & new from $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Ready for a Kick in the Head?, June 10, 2004
If you are not familiar with Lydia Lunch, then you may be in for a rude awakening. Lydia's specialty is brutality - brutal honesty, brutal emotions, and a brutal no-nonsense delivery. She revels in kicking down pre-fabricated houses of illusion and letting the cold harsh light of day in to expose all festering wounds, withering sins and those nasty little trolls that like to hide in the shadows. Her imagery is an assault to the more refined senses. Jane Austen she's not.
I've heard this book described as fiction, then as non-fiction, then as a fictionalized autobiography. I don't think it matters, really, because it's all true somewhere, in some way, to somebody. Tales of people abusing other people, abusing themselves, struggling to crawl out of the gutter only to stumble right back in. Messed-up heads, bruised hearts, ravished souls, all going around in circles reliving the same nightmare over and over again. Some survive, some don't, some break free while others pray for salvation. And there's Lydia declaring that if you want saving then you gotta do it yourself. Wake-up and smell the stench, folks.
Some accuse her of possessing no compassion, no humanity, no sense of beauty. But I think it's there, just painted in various shades of gray instead of the black or white to which many are accustomed. It's there, just raw and aching and unadorned. Sometimes you just have to be cruel to be kind.

Painted From Memory
Painted From Memory
Offered by megahitrecords
Price: $8.73
238 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Elvis & Burt Making Beautiful Music Together, June 9, 2004
This review is from: Painted From Memory (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Elvis Costello since his first album was released a good century ago. That scrawny guy with the geeky glasses, punk energy and impudent razor-sharp lyrics, the same guy, I believe, who has long been a crooner at heart. "Alison" hinted, but it wasn't until hearing his splendid rendition of "My Funny Valentine" that I realized there was more to him than rude boy songwriter. Elvis teaming up with Burt Bacharach to make beautiful music together did not surprise me. Actually, it seemed downright brilliant.
Burt Bacharach + lush, though not overwhelming, arrangements + captivating melodies + background girl singers + insightful and moving lyrics + Elvis's vocals = one exquisite musical achievement.
Elvis does not possess a flawless singing voice and that is part of its allure. His is a voice full of jagged little edges and roughhewn emotion. His ability to interpret a love song without rendering it cheesy is a gift within itself.
Personal favorites: "I Still Have That Other Girl", "God Give Me Strength", & "Tears At The Birthday Party". All in all, though, each one is a treat.

The Jungle Book (Limited Issue)
The Jungle Book (Limited Issue)
DVD ~ Phil Harris
3 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars To Run with the Wolves: A Girlhood Dream, June 9, 2004
I'm a little kid, don't remember exactly how old, elementary school age. My teenage cousin promises to take me to see *The Jungle Book*. She falls asleep. Minutes are ticking down to show time. I poke at her but she snoozes on. Elders tell me to leave her alone. I stand over her and glare, using my powers of mind control to will her awake. It works!
I was just desperate to see this movie. I loved all the Disney animals stories and *The Jungle Book* turned out to be my favorite. The lively songs, lush animation, compelling characters, and strong storyline left quite an impression on me. Can never forget the loving and gentle Bagheera, that kooky monkey, and Baloo, Baloo the lovable bear. Ooh, and that sinister Shere Khan striking fear in the hearts of all and the slithering sneaky snake always up to no good. The voices used are wonderful and fit the characters to perfection. I was in heaven, and it has stood the test of time by remaining one of my favorite animated films.
I just wanted so badly, just longed to be a girl version of Mowgli. Raised by wolves, living wild and free in the jungle, playing with the bears and apes. Climbing trees and swinging from vines. Yep, that was the life for me. I sobbed at the end, crying: No, Mowgli, don't leave your animal friends behind and live with people. You are making a big mistake! Would he return to his original home? I wondered, why of course he would!
As an adult, I understand Mowgli's decision to join the village and live with his own kind. The girl in me, though, still doesn't get it and yearns to run free.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5