Profile for Deygan Brendan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 51

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Deygan Brendan "Deygan" RSS Feed (Sherman Oaks, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Brilliance (The Brilliance Saga Book 1)
Brilliance (The Brilliance Saga Book 1)
by Marcus Sakey
Price: $11.99
90 used & new from $4.25

5.0 out of 5 stars A riveting and entertaining page-turner of a read., February 8, 2014
It kept me highly interested and entertained - which is what any reader wants. I'll definitely be keeping a copy to re-read when Book Two comes out, which I'm already looking forward to.

Manhunt: The Ten-Year Search for Bin Laden--from 9/11 to Abbottabad
Manhunt: The Ten-Year Search for Bin Laden--from 9/11 to Abbottabad
by Peter L. Bergen
Price: $18.02
135 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Objective, reader-friendly, and fascinating., January 27, 2013
Bergen's account is exactly that - an account, that is non-biased, with no agenda towards either party, and without condoning or criticizing any procedures and/or policies. It is also fascinating reading without being weighted down with any excessive backgrounds or technical descriptions.
This will be a book that scholars of the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan will refer to for years.

A Memory of Light  (Wheel of Time, Book 14)
A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, Book 14)
by Robert Jordan
Price: $25.20
196 used & new from $1.25

1.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Unsatisfying. A 50-page conclusion at best., January 18, 2013
After thirteen books and however many thousands of pages (10,000-15,000?) all building up to this Last Battle, this is basically about a 50-page (at maximum) conclusion, with 600 or so pages being an often equally confusing and repetitive medieval battle on a massive scale. Characters seem to be introduced out of nowhere just to be used for a brief description of a certain aspect of the fighting. The massive battle itself becomes something I was waiting impatiently for to progress in any way. One hundred pages could've easily been taken away from the battle and given over to Rand vs. the Dark One, and I still would've been unsatisfied.
And, again, after thirteen very thick books in the series leading up to the Last Battle vs. the Dark One, the Dark One itself is evident on a pathetically small number of pages. I'm glad I'm not a much bigger fan of this series, otherwise I would've been infuriated upon finishing this book.
This won't turn me off Sanderson's writing by any means, but this book is as unsatisfying a conclusion to an epic series as one could've possibly not have wished for.

The Second World War
The Second World War
by Antony Beevor
Price: $35.00
92 used & new from $4.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Destined to be a Classic. An amazing achievement., January 7, 2013
This review is from: The Second World War (Hardcover)
Having been fascinated by WWII since I was a kid, and having read dozens of massive works on the subject, I didn't think it would still be possible to still find a single-volume work that covers the entire war to be anything near as fascinating a read as Beevor's is.
How he manages to cover such all-encompassing ground, while still including hordes of up-close eyewitness accounts, and keep it all as smooth-flowing and interesting as he does, I can only imagine. This is a work any WWII "enthusiast" will want to keep to re-read in the future.

Where'd You Go, Bernadette: A Novel
Where'd You Go, Bernadette: A Novel
by Maria Semple
119 used & new from $0.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Will make you wish for 326 more entertaining pages!, November 28, 2012
I read this after reading an Entertainment mag review of it, and the fact that she was a writer on "Arrested Development" definitely caught my eye.
I will now make it a point to keep my eye out for new works from Maria Semple!
I loved this read! Semple weaves back-and-forth emails and fax messages with narrative passages, and the clever subtext involved in these communications between people who often, shall I say, don't exactly like each other, is classic stuff.
My only complaint about this book is that it's only 326 pages long. I could've gone through another 326 pages very easily!

500 Days: Secrets and Lies in the Terror Wars
500 Days: Secrets and Lies in the Terror Wars
by Kurt Eichenwald
186 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well-researched, revealing, and important., October 4, 2012
Yes, whether Eichenwald intended this to be the case or not, he has written what does indeed read much more like a thriller novel than a non-fiction account. He also describes in the introduction about how this was not the book he'd initially set out to write.
But his finished product is undoubtedly a highly informative and revealing chronicle - backed up by over 50 pages of source notes - of the titled time period immediately following 9/11. I personally found this to be a particularly interesting read when it was recounting so many of the discussions that went on about the constitutionality of so many of the things we were doing and/or about to do, as well as the diplomatic discussions going on between the US and Britain.
This should definitely rank highly among the must-reads of the how's and why's of the Afghanistan and Iraq Wars.

The Presidents Club: Inside the World's Most Exclusive Fraternity
The Presidents Club: Inside the World's Most Exclusive Fraternity
by Nancy Gibbs
185 used & new from $0.07

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic ex-Presidential Work, April 19, 2012
Anyone - Democrat or Republican - with an interest in the workings of the Presidency will find this a fascinating read. Sides of past presidents will be revealed that you hadn't known existed. It's an equally-interesting book when you take into account that even what is written about only scratches the surface, as ex-Presidents will only reveal so much.
I prefer not to list certain portions of a book like this that I really liked, as I know how much I like to avoid seeing even trivial "spoilers" - but rest assured, this is an account saturated with highly educational information.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2013 5:55 AM PST

Suburban Safari: A Year on the Lawn
Suburban Safari: A Year on the Lawn
by Hannah Holmes
49 used & new from $0.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly interesting and entertaining., February 21, 2012
Anyone who's lived for any period of time in any kind of suburban neighborhood, or really any kind of community that has trees and grass, will find this a fascinating and highly educational read about our animal neighbors.
The constantly complex and often life-dependent activities of neighborhood birds, rodents, and even ants is broken down in entertaining detail to the point that it even made me want to sit outside for hours and observe these activities for myself, if only I had the time to do so.
A highly recommended read for nature and animal-lovers.

Theft of Swords, Vol. 1(Riyria Revelations)
Theft of Swords, Vol. 1(Riyria Revelations)
by Michael J. Sullivan
Price: $16.00
84 used & new from $2.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Simplistically-written. Not for fans of epic fantasy., February 21, 2012
My review is a mere warning for fans of epic fantasy. I'm sure Sullivan's books are entertaining, as is evident in the numerous high marks in the reviews here, but the fact is that he definitely does not write epic fantasy. Admittedly, if you prefer the kind of writing that can be easily read and doesn't require much thought or investment, you will probably really enjoy Michael Sullivan.
But just FYI, if deep, intricate, epic-style writing is what you prefer, Sullivan's books will most likely not be for you. I couldn't get past the first 50 pages or so.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 22, 2012 9:29 AM PST

The Rook: A Novel
The Rook: A Novel
by Jane Rusbridge
47 used & new from $1.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleverly-written and Surprisingly Hilarious!, February 21, 2012
This review is from: The Rook: A Novel (Hardcover)
Fans of the the first "Men In Black" movie will absolutely love this book.
It admittedly took me 20-30 pages to get into it, but after that I couldn't put it down, and I probably didn't go 2 consecutive pages without cracking up, if not bursting out laughing.
A plot that's as ingenious as it is ridiculous, filled with sardonic and sarcastic black humor, this is one of the most entertaining reads I've enjoyed in a long time, and I'm already looking forward to a sequel.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6