Profile for Javier Ruiz > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 74

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Javier Ruiz RSS Feed (Jacksonville, FL USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Belkin Anti-Static Wrist Band with Adjustable Grounding
Belkin Anti-Static Wrist Band with Adjustable Grounding
Price: $4.49
46 used & new from $2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars so I did not always feel like my arm was tethered and had limited reach, April 5, 2015
I just built a computer for a friend of mine, and I did not want to risk the possibility of frying any components during the build, so I purchased this static band. All I can say is that it does the job. I wish it was a bit longer, so I did not always feel like my arm was tethered and had limited reach, but this was a small annoyance. As I am right handed, I put the band on my left wrist, and that allowed me the freedom of movement I needed, and the project went on without a hitch.

USB 2.0 A Male to A Female Extension 28/24AWG Cable  - 1.5ft
USB 2.0 A Male to A Female Extension 28/24AWG Cable - 1.5ft
Price: $3.82
18 used & new from $1.00

5.0 out of 5 stars so that it could be positioned higher up and get better signal. And this cable has done the job, April 5, 2015
I bought it as a way to extend the reach from my computer to an external wifi antenna,the Bear Extender for mac, so that it could be positioned higher up and get better signal. And this cable has done the job. The cable feels sturdy and well built, and it was the perfect length for what I had in mind. All in all, I am very pleased with it.

Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker (Single, Black)
Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker (Single, Black)
Offered by Electronics Expo
Price: $96.02
19 used & new from $82.00

5.0 out of 5 stars crap. It was tinny, April 5, 2015
I already own a pair of Polk Series 60 floor standing speakers. But I did not have a center channel speaker. Well, truth be told, I did, but it was one I had left over from and old sound system (to save some money), and it was not really designed as a center channel speaker.The sound this speaker put out was, to be honest, crap. It was tinny, it was not detailed, I could hardly hear any dialogue, which is why I had to go into the setup menu for my receiver and bump up the volume of the center channel, just so I could kind of hear what was being said in movies and tv shows.

After much looking around, comparing, and taking into account I did not want to spend more than $130- $150, I came across the CS10. They say that you should always try to buy same brand speakers when setting up your audio system, and that was definitely a reason why I looked into this particular speaker. That, and frankly, the price. It is an Amazon Bestseller, and I can see why. I obviously looked at other brands, but many had prices in the $200 - $300s and higher, and I was not willing to spend that kind of money. I also looked at similarly priced speakers from Pioneer and Fluance and others, and while they had really good reviews, they did not have the literally thousands of reviews this Polk CS10 had. For a while, I was vacillating as to whether to go with the Pioneer, designed by Andrew Jones, which itself had really good reviews, or this Polk. I cannot attest to how good the Pioneer is, as I ended up not buying it. But I really, really like this CS10! I love the look of it, the glossy piano black sides that accentuate the rest of the cabinet. and it is solid and feels sturdily built. MY only complaint is the size. It is quite large. Because of that, right now it has no place to be but in front of my tv, set up on top of the box it came in. There's literally no other place to put it!. And due to its size, not only does it not physically fit in front of my tv, but even if it did, it would not only block the IR receiver on the tv, but also part of the image as well.Which means, I will either have to make some kind of stand to raise the tv up so the CS10 can sit right below and in front of it, or else buy one of those trays they sell that you can set up above the tv to hold a center channel speaker.
I am by no means an audiophile, but I love movies, and I need a stereo system that delivers in that arena. Now, I feel that with this center channel speaker, my whole movie-watching experience has come alive. Everything is so much clearer, it has much more detail and depth. The speaker even puts out a very decent amount of bass for a center channel that I did not even know I was missing! I am even going to have to go back to my receiver and dial down the setting for the center channel a bit, as the volume coming out of this CS10 is a bit overpowering, compared with the previous speaker I had set up as my center channel.

I am very happy with this speaker. I am just kind of mad at myself I did not buy it sooner.

12x Philips Sonicare HX6014 Proresults Generic Compatible With DiamondClean, FlexCare, FlexCare+, HealthyWhite, Sensitive, EasyClean Replacement Brush Heads - ★Best Seller★ Maxgate™ Extra Strong, Clean Feeling, Extra Comfort, Top Quality - 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
Offered by QHC Store
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my Sonicare toothbrush, April 5, 2015
I love my Sonicare toothbrush, but I absolutely hate how you are nickel-and-dimed with the replacement brush heads. This is the main reason why I had waited months longer than I should have to replace my last, extremely worn down brush head, which realistically should have put out to pasture a long time ago. When I found these replacement brush heads, I was a bit skeptical at first, but I figured, "what the heck".

First of all, the packaging. The brush heads come in a rectangular box, individually packaged in smaller boxes. This is awesome. They are easy to store, and what's more important, easy to open. No blister packaging! Second, the appearance. To my eye, they look virtually identical to the Phillips OEM heads. They also fit perfectly on my electric brush. They are not loose, and they work just as well as the "real" thing. Finally, as for the brushing experience: I love it. These brush heads seem to be medium to soft. They feel good when brushing, they dont feel harsh at all. This is important, because I have very sensitive teeth, so hard brushes just kill me.

All in all, I have to give these things 5 stars. The price cannot be beat, (after all, you are getting 12 replacements for what it usually costs to buy just one or two at the grocery store); they are easy to open, they work perfectly, and they feel great when using them. I will absolutely buy more when I have run out of these!

Pro-Mart DAZZ 42-Pocket Over-the-Door Organizer, White
Pro-Mart DAZZ 42-Pocket Over-the-Door Organizer, White
Price: $12.99
2 used & new from $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this thing., January 31, 2015
Soo, I happened to be browsing Pinterest (don't judge), when I saw that some people were using these things to store cleaning supplies on the inside of closet doors. And I happen to have a kitchen island where the sink is located that is kind of small and cramped. And a small closet where my water heater is located very close by. So this is great for me.
I was able to fill every single one of its pockets with brushes, cleaning supplies and spray bottles, (and there are a lot of pockets, 21 DOUBLE pockets, arranged in 7 rows of 3 each) and organize them in such a way that they are easy to see and grab, whenever I need them. And, I no longer need to get on my knees with a flashlight to get to the back of the cabinet under my sink, looking for that one product I dont often use but I KNOW should be there.
Now, as I said, the pockets are double, and they are mesh, not clear plastic, which in my opinion means they're way more flexible and should last a lot longer.
This was a great purchase indeed, and I love how well organized and (easy to reach for) all my cleaning supplies are now!

AmazonBasics USB 3.0 Extension Cable - A-Male to A-Female - 6.5 Feet (2 meters)
AmazonBasics USB 3.0 Extension Cable - A-Male to A-Female - 6.5 Feet (2 meters)

5.0 out of 5 stars great cable., January 31, 2015
I like it. It is well made. And it allowed me to extend the reach of my computer to connect it to an external drive that is further away than the cable the drive came with would reach. That's what I like about Amazon Basics products. They have great quality for a reasonable and affordable price.

Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac  500-Watt 0.75-HP Electric Duster 120 volt
Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac 500-Watt 0.75-HP Electric Duster 120 volt
Price: $62.29
99 used & new from $54.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for cleaning electronics and PCs, January 31, 2015
I bought this DataVac to clean the inside of my PC. And boy does it do a good job. But first things first: this is NOT a vacuum. It is a very powerful blower (like a leaf blower), with tons of tiny attachments to clean just about anything. And it works, too. It is powerful, it comes with a long power cord, and a lot of different attachments and brushes. Also, be warned, it is LOUD. Not that I care. It's not as if I use it all the time. I only need to clean the inside of my computer once a year same for my electronics, like my AV receiver, and I use it once every couple of months to clean the dust off of my statues without having to use damaging brushes.
So, all in all, it is a great device. It keeps the insides of my PC dust and trouble free, which will help extend the life of the components, and also allows it to run more efficiently and with better heat dissipation.

Belkin WeMo Switch, Control Your Electronics From Anywhere with the Home Automation App for Smartphones and Tablets, Wi-Fi Enabled
Price: $43.99
33 used & new from $38.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice switches to easily automate your home, January 31, 2015
this the third one of these I have bought. I'm still an infant when it comes to the whole "Connected Home" thing, but I am happy with these Switches. They work really well. And they allowed me to automate a couple of lamps and a radiator. The lamps turn on when I wake up, and off 5 minutes after I leave for work. And the radiator turns on 1 hour before I wake up, to keep my bathroom toasty for when I jump in the shower.
Setup is really easy through the Wemo app, and because they connect to your wifi, the can be controlled from anywhere from your phone, which is a big plus. And they do not need a hub to work, which is nice also. The Wemo app used to be buggy, but there have been several updates in the last year or so that have made the app much more stable. Which is nice.
You can set up basic rules, like on-off at a given time or day of the week, and you can also create rules with IFTTT, although their effectiveness is somewhat hit-and-miss (I had a rule to turn on my lights at dusk, but after a while they either came on way too early, or late enough that I was already too dark in my home to see comfortably). Another minor annoyance is how big those things are. I have seen some new smart switches announced in CES, that essentially should do the same thing, and they are easily half the size, which means they don't stand out as much. Big and bulky is not something I like in my technology, at least not in tech like this, which is supposed to work behind the scenes, so to speak, and not be obvious or apparent that you even have it.
On the plus side of IFTTT, Wemo Switches are now compatible with a whole host of other connected devices, such as the Nest Thermostat. So that you can create rules, that, for example, allow you to turn on or off lights and at the same time rise or lower the temperature in your home, based on certain parameters you set. This is very cool, but in my opinion it is still in its infancy. IFTTT rules are often not very flexible, and I hope that in the future they'll become a lot more useful and flexible.
All in all, I really like these switches. I will like them even more if they can make them smaller, and if there is better results when using IFTTT rules.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2015 9:37 PM PST

General Electric MWF Refrigerator Water Filter
General Electric MWF Refrigerator Water Filter
Price: $38.88
48 used & new from $25.31

4.0 out of 5 stars works well, but it is too pricey, January 31, 2015
nothing glamorous about this, I'm afraid. It does the job, purifying the water that comes out of the dispenser in the door of my GE refrigerator. It makes the water taste a lot better, and that is what I expected when I bought it. I just think that it is way too pricey for how long it lasts (about 4 months or so, with myself being the sole user), and unfortunately I haven't found any third party options that work as well and last as long, but at a lower price. So I guess this will have to do until I find one.

Blunt XS_Metro Umbrella (Yellow)
Blunt XS_Metro Umbrella (Yellow)
Offered by Sports by Sager Inc
Price: $49.00
5 used & new from $41.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Really like this little umbrella., January 31, 2015
This is my third Blunt umbrella. I had a classic (black) that was stolen, so I bought another Classic (in yellow), as well as this XS (also in yellow). As with its big brother, it is very well built, and elegant. it opens with a button, but it is closed manually. It comes with a pouch that is mostly black with the top edge of it being the same color as the umbrella (yellow, in my case). It is a nice touch, and is well made, but it fits the umbrella very snugly, and frankly, the first time I took it out, I decided it was too much hassle to put it back on, and so it now rests inside a drawer (not that that makes me umbrella look any less beautiful without it). The ribs are sturdy and there are more of them (it seems to me) than in a normal umbrella, which might account for how sturdy it is. I also love the rounded covers over the ends of the ribs, because they not only make the umbrella look more elegant, but they protect it (and its owner) as well. My only little quip is that it really is XS (which I suppose stands for Extra Small). I wish it was a bit wider in diameter, but all in all, it is the perfect umbrella to keep in my office at work just in case of an unforeseen storm.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8