Profile for Michael Polich > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael Polich RSS Feed (Riverside, IL)

Page: 1 | 2
iKross Universal Car Cup Holder Mount with 3 Sockets and 2 USB charging port 2.1A - Black
Offered by BlueMall
Price: $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative to suction cup and vent holders, July 18, 2014
Fits securely in cup holder. Better than suction cup phone holders or vent holders, that never stay in place or constantly fall off window or our of vent.

HotLogic Mini Personal Portable Oven, Black
HotLogic Mini Personal Portable Oven, Black
Offered by Hot Logic LLC
Price: $39.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe best invention ever, May 1, 2014
I bought this when I started my new job so I wouldn't have to wait in line by the microwave. I figured it should be good for heating some small stuff, but I greatly underestimated its ability. First I tried some frozen Chinese food. Unfortunately I didn't plug it in soon enough to properly heat it, so I still ended up microwaving it. Next I tried a frozen pretzel sandwich. I plugged it in as soon as I got to work at about 8 am, and let it cook until noon.

When I opened it I was surprised to find that it had not only cooked, all the way to the middle, but it tasted more like it was out of an oven than out of a microwave. The sandwich was not dried out at all, and the HotLogic had cooked it to an even temperature and kept it warm.

Next I tried cooking two hamburgers. I just put the meat in the Hot Logic, and put the bun and condiments in a regular lunch bag, since the HotLogic wasn't big enough for both whole hamburgers. Again, the HotLogic came through. The meat was hot and not dried out at all.

Finally, I tried some leftover pot roast with mashed potatoes and broccoli. Again, I plugged the HotLogic in as soon as I got to work, and the meal was just like out of the oven by lunch ( it was actually steaming). Once again, the HotLogic exceeded expectations.

Now I just laugh at the line by the microwave while I eat my fresh, steaming hot meal that I didn't even have to leave my desk to heat. I haven't had to use the microwave at work at all. This may be the best invention ever.

One word of advice though- make sure to plug it in as soon as you get to work ( don't wait until your break). Give it about 4 hours to cook and it'll cook just about anything.

Memorex DVD+R 16x 4.7GB 50 Pack Spindle
Memorex DVD+R 16x 4.7GB 50 Pack Spindle
Price: Click here to see our price
126 used & new from $7.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid at all costs, May 6, 2006
I thought Memorex was supposed to mean quality. These DVDs have totally exploded that notion. When I first started using these, the first half dozen spindles I bought worked great. However, the past few I have bought have been totally defective. I have bought from different stores, so I know it isn't just a case of me getting a "bad batch." 1/2 to 2/3rds of the disks in any spindle are totally dead. Seeing these other reviews, I know I am not alone. I would have to strongly advise people not to waste their money on these defective coasters, unless they like gambling with their money. The odds are not in your favor.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2007 2:43 AM PST

Fingerprints of the Gods
Fingerprints of the Gods
by Graham Hancock
Price: $11.57
138 used & new from $6.14

1.0 out of 5 stars Non-scientific view of reality from a sensationalist reporter, August 20, 2005
Why is this book getting any credibility? Hancock is a reporter, which is not the same thing as a scientist. His views are totally, and I do mean totally, off the deep end. He offers no real scientific evidence to back up anything he says except circumstantial evidence, which would not even hold up in a court of law if this were a court case. His views do not hold up to scientific scrutiny at all. I am totally fed up with the public view that states that any crackpot theory that includes the keywords "ancient pyramids," "lost civilizations," or "Atlantis" is somehow on the verge of some heretofore unheralded scientific mega-discovery that will prove all that we know is false or misleading. Scientists spend entire careers studying in their fields, and are specially trained to observe and interpret data using sound scientific methods. But when one of them disparages any of these nonsense theories they are dismissed by the lunatic fringe as being "establishment" or part of some conspiracy to fool mankind for some dark nefarious purpose. If being a responsible, informed scientist is being "establishment," then I am super proud to be of the "establishment" crowd. LONG LIVE THE ESTABLISHMENT! And please, IGNORE THIS BOOK!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2007 2:07 AM PDT

The Amityville Horror
The Amityville Horror
by Jay Anson
128 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Good fiction, March 7, 2005
This review is from: The Amityville Horror (Hardcover)
This book is not true, contrary to all those who believe in this nonsense. The Amityville Horror was proven a hoax almost from the beginning. However, it is a good horror story if you read it for what it is- fiction.

LitterMaid LM900 Mega Self-Cleaning Litter Box
LitterMaid LM900 Mega Self-Cleaning Litter Box

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work half the time, April 29, 2004
This litter box is a good idea, but the bugs still need to be worked out. The litter sticks to the box most of the time, which prevents the rake from cleaning the box. In the end, most of the time I have to still clean out the litter by hand, completely defeating the purpose of even having the thing. In addition, the motor is really loud, and when it encounters an obstacle (i.e. clumped up litter sticking to the box) it makes three passes before finally shutting down and blinking the light that shows me that the box has yet again failed to perform. I even have to shut off the box at night. Otherwise I'll be woken up by the sound of the rake going back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. Better to wait for the next model, which hopefully will be more advanced than this one.

Conversations with the High Priest of Coosa
Conversations with the High Priest of Coosa
by Charles M. Hudson
Price: $27.95
49 used & new from $9.00

1.0 out of 5 stars You'd really expect more from someone like Hudson, December 27, 2003
"Conversations with the High Priest of Coosa" is neither good fiction nor good ethnography. Charles Hudson's Coosa worldview is inexplicably almost totally Cherokee in outlook. Hudson says he relied on Cherokee folklore because it was more internally consistent than Muskogean folklore, and that Cherokee had some stories that Muskogean folklore didn't that he thought exemplified the Coosan worldview. Hudson seems to ignore the fact that the Cherokees were different from the Muskogeans for a reason- they were Iroquoian. The Cherokees were not moundbuilders, so why would you rely on the stories of a people that were not moundbuilders to explain the worldview of a moundbuilding people?
Also, why would you totally make up stories? Hudson does just this, and some of the stories he makes up makes you wonder why he did so. For instance, why did he make up the Coosans celebrating a ceremony with dancers dressed up in a dragon costume, when there is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER THAT THE COOSANS OR ANY OTHER MOUNDBUILDING PEOPLE EVER DID ANYTHING REMOTELY LIKE THAT! Hudson's explanation for doing this are equally as mystifying- he says he was influenced in part by CHINESE CELEBRATIONS FEATURING DANCERS DRESSED LIKE DRAGONS. Does Hudson now believe that the Mississippians were influenced by the Chinese??
Even looking at this book purely as fiction doesn't improve it any. The characters are totally one dimensional, there is no real plot, the narrative reads like a children's book of mostly Cherokee legends, and what little plot there is is boring.
If you're an anthropologist or folklorist, this book will make you tear out your hair with its inaccuracies and badly rationalized extrapolations. Historians and archaeologists should equally avoid this book. This book is bad as either a fictionalized ethnography, fiction, or ethnography.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 10, 2013 6:06 PM PST

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Unstable System, August 11, 2003
I bought my laptop in March, by April I deeply regretted it. I have had nothing but problems with this. Every time I turn on my laptop, there's a new problem. HP support is basically useless; they rarely know the answer to your problem. I've had way too many problems for a new system to be having. I'm already looking for a replacement.

Resistance and Contradiction: Miskitu Indians and the Nicaraguan State, 1894-1987
by Charles R. Hale
Price: $28.95
33 used & new from $5.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Middle of the Road, March 5, 2003
Charles Hale gives a plea for activist anthropology; not letting the anthropologist remain aloof from the people that he or she is studying. He does that to some extent in his work with the Miskitu. However his avowed affinity with the Sandinista cause causes him to miss much in the process. He ignores some of the more glaring Sandinista atrocities that would paint the Sandinistas in a less pleasant light than Hale presents. In placing himself as a sort of go-between between the Miskitu and the Sandinistas, he contradicts the very premise he is espousing. He doesn't want to alienate himself from either group, so he never really becomes totally trusted by either. He wants to have his cake and eat it too.
This is a good look at the 1980s Nicaraguan situation, activism issues aside. Hale delves into the movements and motivations of Sandinista policy and Miskitu resistance. This reads more like a book written by a journalist however. The personal engagement of an anthropologist presenting a people and exploring their life is missing, making the book read like a reporter getting a scoop rather than an anthropologist doing participant observation. I think the book would have been much better if Hale just took the chance of choosing a side and not worrying so much about trying to appear neutral.

Beginning Cherokee
Beginning Cherokee
by Ruth Bradley Holmes
Price: $22.39
110 used & new from $3.96

5.0 out of 5 stars osdadv!, December 12, 2000
This review is from: Beginning Cherokee (Paperback)
I began learning Cherokee with this book over a decade ago. Growing up in Illinois, I didn't have a Cherokee community around that I could learn from. Over the years this book has became absolutely invaluable to me. I have read almost all the Cherokee language books written, and this is definitely one of the best. When I finally did get to Oklahoma to work on my Master's, I was actually able to talk to Cherokees in Cherokee largely through the rules of grammar, sentence structure, etc. that this book taught me. I also learned the syllabary through this book. Well worth a look.

Page: 1 | 2