Profile for Philo411 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Philo411 RSS Feed (Naples, FL)

Benefit - They're Real! Push-Up Liner - Lash-Hugging Gel Liner Pen Eyeliner
Benefit - They're Real! Push-Up Liner - Lash-Hugging Gel Liner Pen Eyeliner
Offered by Simple Nutrition
Price: $25.73
17 used & new from $25.19

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing product., August 21, 2014
I was very disappointed in this product. Had the caution that the seller absolutely, positively does not accept returns not been prominently displayed on my shipping label, I would have returned it immediately after first use. The first time I used it, the liner came out in large nasty clumps; this is either due to the fact that the product was quite old or that it is defective. I thought that this might be a problem with the first few applications, so I kept trying to use it, hoping that as I got a bit further down the tube, the gel would flow freely. That never proved to be the case. However, if you like the look of big black clumps resting on your eyelids, this is the eyeliner for you. :-/

In addition, the liner is almost impossible to remove. I have two different kinds of Clinique eye makeup remover that work beautifully for every kind of eye makeup I have ever used, including waterproof mascara. However, neither of these removers proved effective in removing this horrible liner, so be prepared to live with raccoon eyes.

Look elsewhere for your gel eyeliner needs.

Toland Home Garden Red, White, & Blue Peace House Applique Flag
Toland Home Garden Red, White, & Blue Peace House Applique Flag
Price: $17.21
4 used & new from $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, sturdy flag, June 6, 2012
This is a beautiful flag, made of standard but sturdy garden flag material, and it looks great hanging outside our house.

MCS T-Shirt Display Frame, 12.5 x12.5 inch
MCS T-Shirt Display Frame, 12.5 x12.5 inch
Offered by Think Fast
Price: $26.47
2 used & new from $15.00

3.0 out of 5 stars The clips are ridiculous; the description is misleading, June 6, 2012
This product comes with no instructions. To put your t-shirt in the frame, you will need to be really good at manipulating clips with nasty sharp prongs on them.

After reading the only review for this product, I decided to take a chance and buy two of these frames. It's a good thing I did, because I needed the first one for practice. The product description states that the frame displays both the front and back of a t-shirt; fortunately, I only wanted to display the front, and I say "fortunately" because I can't see how it's physically possible to display both sides of the t-shirt using this frame. After all, the sleeves and excess fabric have to go somewhere--where on this frame is that fourth dimension?

Your first task will be to remove the clips from the frame. What a chore. My thumbs still hurt, and I sacrificed several nails to the cause. Once you've spent a ridiculous amount of time squeezing and wiggling the clips out of their moorings (hint: you will need to perform the miraculous physical feat of squeezing your fingers in and pressing down and up at the same time), you're ready to position your t-shirt.

If you only want to display the front, you're left with all of that excess fabric (sleeves, collar, what have you) hanging out the back. I was able to offset this by laying the flimsy piece of paper displaying the picture the frame came with (it isn't the tie-dyed image you see advertised; it's the "2010 World Tour" or something like that) across the back of the frame before replacing the clips.

So now on to the clips. I was happy to have the first frame to practice on; between me and my spouse it took us nearly two hours to pinch and wiggle the clips out of the frame, get the t-shirt positioned (by using the stiff cardboard backing), positioning the piece of paper with the image across the back, and squeezing the sharp clips back into place (caution: the sharp prongs go face down!).

The good news is that once we got the first one done, it took me less than five minutes, working alone, to put the second one together--and the frames look nice.

Keurig My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter
Keurig My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter
Offered by ThePriceKings
Price: $6.70
133 used & new from $2.97

1,443 of 1,495 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap like me? Yeah, you're gonna like this too..., February 27, 2006
Being frugal (all right, cheap) by nature, I held off on buying a single-serve coffeemaker until I could find one I liked that offered a reusable filter. When Keurig came out with the B-40 Elite, a handsome, reasonably priced unit, and announced that it would be releasing its "My K-Cup" reusable filter for separate sale early in 2006, I was primed. As soon as I saw this product on Keurig's website, I was ready to buy my new coffeemaker from Amazon.com and the filter from Keurig's web site. My only wish was that Amazon.com would stock the reusable filter so buyers could purchase the coffeemaker and filter in one fell swoop, and here my wish is about to come to pass!

I have had my Keurig B-40 Elite for about a month now, and I've had great success with it. Bear in mind that if you're using the reusable filter, you must first remove the black plastic K-Cup holder from the unit's filter assembly (instructions on how to do this are included with "My K-Cup"; the black piece in the coffeemaker's filter basket doesn't act like it's supposed to come out, but it is, and it does).

Also, I've read elsewhere that some people don't like having to remove the reusable filter and clean it out after every use. However, I've found it to be a relatively simple affair: the reusable filter doesn't drip when you remove it, and takes about 30 seconds to rinse out after each use. You can use it again right away to brew successive cups.

One caveat is that the output splashes a bit when using the My K-Cup filter, so I always have a damp paper towel at the ready when I brew a cup. That having been said, I'm really happy to be using my own coffee and saving lots of money in the process. Those who are, like me, loathe to shell out 55 cents a cup for K-Cups will probably really like the new My K-Cup.
Comment Comments (75) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2014 2:15 PM PDT

Keurig B40 Elite Brewing System
Keurig B40 Elite Brewing System
Offered by PriceSmart
Price: $104.50
31 used & new from $58.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes you want to get out of bed in the morning!, February 6, 2006
I've had the Keurig B-40 Elite for about two months ago, and more than ever before, I am looking forward to getting up in the morning.

What initially attracted me to the Keurig line of single-serve coffeemakers was the option to use your own coffee in a reusable coffee filter (available separately from Amazon.com for $14.95) instead of the K-Cups, which can cost over 50 cents each. Leery of signing onto a razor-razor blade model, I wanted the flexibility to be frugal.

I ruled out the higher-priced B-50 and B-60 because I didn't need all the bells and whistles that those models offer. I don't need a timer (really, if you can brew a cup of coffee on demand, why would you want a machine that makes it at a set time?) or a blue LED display (although it is pretty). I might have liked the variable brew size option (two sizes on the B50 and three on the B-60), but to save $50 and $100 respectively I could live without it.

Setup on the B-40 Elite is straightforward. Follow the instructions for priming the unit (a one-time affair), and you're good to go. I confess that I brewed my first cup with one of the 18 K-Cups that came included with my unit. They are fiendishly convenient. The B-40 Elite delivers 7.25 ounces of coffee per brew, which turned out to be just the right amount for me. Before this, I was using a French press, so the coffee that comes out of the Keurig does not measure up in strength, but it is still flavorful and oh-so-fresh, and of course with a French press only your first cup is hot. I was astonished at how quickly the Keurig produces a cup of coffee-pop in the K-Cup, or spoon your coffee into the filter basket, (firmly) lower the handle, press "Brew," and in less than 30 seconds you're drinking a very good cup of coffee.

Even in its stripped-down incarnation, the Keurig B-40 Elite still has some nifty features. In addition to Auto Off, which is handy if you're only going to brew one or two cups in the morning, the unit has lights that come on when it's time to add water to the 48-ounce reservoir and when it's time to descale the machine. (As I've only had the unit for a short while I haven't had to descale yet.)

One cautionary note: When filled with water, the reservoir is somewhat awkward to replace-instructions recommend filling it to the line, but putting in less water than that makes it easier to handle.

All factors considered, the Keurig B-40 Elite is a handsome and functional single-serve coffeemaker, and I recommend it to anyone who loves their coffee fresh and hot.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 11, 2009 6:29 PM PDT