Profile for Coffee Mama > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 22

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Coffee Mama RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
A Low Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet Manual: No Sugar, No Starch Diet
A Low Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet Manual: No Sugar, No Starch Diet
by Dr. Eric C. Westman M.D.
Price: $4.84
24 used & new from $2.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Gift, August 15, 2014
This is perfect to give as a gift to someone who doesn't want to read all the science behind a Ketogenic diet. It gives the basics. I gave this to my Mother-in-law. I have been on Atkins for over a year and have had wonderful results with it. I've talked to my MIL many times but her excuse it's too hard to get started. This was perfect for her to at least start eating low carb. Later once she feels comfortable with eating this way then we'll zone in with figuring out % of fats, carbs, calories etc. if needed, but for now this is perfect place to start.

It gives her a list of what she can eat and how much. The measurements are in cups too which will also make it easier for my mother. For instance you can have one cup of spinach. I know everyone is different with stuffing spinach into a cup but again, at least she's getting started.

I don't have the book in front of me because I gave it to my MIL already, so don't quote me on the spinach ;)

Baby'O Clothing Co. Original Baby'O BIZ Long Denim Skirt Large Blue
Baby'O Clothing Co. Original Baby'O BIZ Long Denim Skirt Large Blue
Offered by Baby'O Clothing Co.
Price: $42.99
2 used & new from $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite skirts, August 8, 2014
I love this skirt. I plan to purchase another. The only reason I gave it a four star instead of a five is the sizing chart. I went by the chart and it stated a large was my size but upon receiving it a medium would have fit better. The skirt slips to low and I step on it sometimes because it's to big. I still love it though and it's one of my favorite skirts.

I didn't know at the time of ordering that the waist is elastic. If I'd had known I would have risked it and when down a size ;) and would have ordered a medium.

The material is not thick jean like denim which is what I was looking for but thinner. Not so thin that I need a slip (thankfully).

Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution
Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution
by Dr. Robert C. Atkins MD
Price: $5.31
1238 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed the way I See Food and Inspired a Healthier Way of Living for My Family!!!, August 8, 2014
My cholesterol levels have been going up for the past 6+ years. I knew I needed to change my diet. I was also 35lbs over weight and again I knew I needed to change the way I ate.

I didn't want to go the low fat route. I didn't have it in me to eat like that. My mom had been on the Atkins diet back in the 70's and 80's. I was aware of what you could eat, lots of good food! So when I was ready (think doctor wanting you on med to lower your cholesterol) I knew I 'd lose weight and lower my cholesterol the Atkins way. I purchased several of his books and jumped in with both feet. My start date was 1/13. Within months I had lowered my cholesterol enough for the doctor to say no meds. By the end of 20013 I had also lost 35lbs.

The weight didn't just drop off over night. It took all 12 months. I wasn't one of the blessed people who lost 10lbs in the induction phase but I knew I was eating healthy and kept with it. Even when I didn't lose a pound in 30 days. Eventually the weight came off, slowly for me.

I believe the late Dr. Atkins was way ahead of his time. Now you see so many low carb diets (although they won't admit they are low carb) out there all saying what Dr. Atkins has been saying for years. Eat healthy fats and eat your veggies. The Atkins lifestyle is not all about bacon and butter but eating healthy and a variety of veggies. I love eating my eggs with sauteed veggies, cream in my coffee, and a rib-eye steak with sauteed veggies for supper. I have given up most grains and don't even miss them. I also enjoy cottage cheese sweetened with Stevia and mixed with some sort of berries. Either fresh or frozen. I have learned how to make a variety of healthy desserts for my family, like chocolate cake, pumpkin cheesecake pie, and coconut-blueberry muffins.

I love using coconut flour, almond flour, coconut milk, cream, coconut oil, etc. for baking and making my 'bread' like food. I can eat out with family and friends and not look like I'm on a 'diet' :)

Not only have I lost weight, lowered my cholesterol, but my skin look so much healthier. I have had so many compliments about my skin and hair. Speaking of hair, I don't use shampoo with chemicals. I use raw honey and other foods to wash and condition my hair. I use coconut oil as a leave in conditioner.

All that to say that I'm so thankful to Dr. Atkins for his books and inspiring me to eat healthier but also live healthier via using less chemicals. I no longer purchase cleaners and such but make my own. My whole family has benefited from Atkins. Yay!

Atkins Advantage Caramel Chocolate Nut Roll Light Meal Bar, 5 Count Bars 1.6 Oz.
Offered by Swanson Health Products
Price: $6.79
20 used & new from $5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Atkins Bar, January 27, 2014
This is tasty but hard to bite into. It's not something I want to eat in front of guest ;) Great taste but unfortunately I won't be purchasing again.

I prefer the not-so-hard to bite into ones like Cinnamon Bun, Mudslide, Chocolate Chip Granola, etc.

Satisfying Eats: Grain Free, Sugar Free & Hunger Free Cookbook
Satisfying Eats: Grain Free, Sugar Free & Hunger Free Cookbook
by Melissa Monroe McGehee
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Recipes, January 20, 2014
My daughter and I both use this cookbook. Melissa gives cooking tips and I am using this as part of my daughter's home economics course.

Wow Hits 2014 (Deluxe Edition)
Wow Hits 2014 (Deluxe Edition)
Price: $14.19
46 used & new from $12.05

5.0 out of 5 stars I Buy This Every Year, January 20, 2014
My kids love the WOW Cds. I buy them every CHRISTmas and every CHRISTmas the children are excited to receive them.

Basher Science: The Periodic Table: Elements with Style!
Basher Science: The Periodic Table: Elements with Style!
by Adrian Dingle
Price: $11.97
74 used & new from $6.16

5.0 out of 5 stars The Periodic Table, January 20, 2014
My 15yr. old son loves this book. He said, "Mom, I'm glad you purchased this book for me, it's very interesting", I also bought a periodic table place mat.

Burt's Bees Ultra Conditioning Lip Balm with Kokum Butter, 1 Count
Burt's Bees Ultra Conditioning Lip Balm with Kokum Butter, 1 Count
Price: $2.99
15 used & new from $2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars One of My Favorites, January 20, 2014
I have different Burt's Bees Lip Balms but this one is my favorite. It goes on very smooth. Love it!

Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle
Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle
by Diane Sanfilippo BS NC
Price: $22.54
86 used & new from $14.04

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my Favorites, January 20, 2014
This book explains how foods affect our gut. I loved that it was colorful and simple to read :) The menu plans were great and very helpful. The recipes were great too.

The New Atkins Made Easy: A Faster, Simpler Way to Shed Weight and Feel Great -- Starting Today!
by Colette Heimowitz
Price: $10.70
110 used & new from $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Atkins Made Easy, January 11, 2014
I have been on Atkins for a year now and have read NANY and a few of the older Atkins books. When I saw The New Atkins Made Easy I had to add it to my collection.

If you are familiar with the Atkins way of eating then you don't really need to purchase this book but for those who are just starting out I'd highly recommend this book. It really does help one understand Atkins without feeling overwhelmed.

All the information is there for each phase of Atkins. The science behind Atkins is not as detailed as NANY.

For each phase there are two menu plans, one that incorporates the Atkins bars, shakes, and frozen meals which I think is great because it will help people get started without feeling like they have to cook every meal and snack. For some that just seems like a lot.

Although Atkins is about eating whole foods but again for those just getting started it makes it 'easier'.

There is also a menu plan that doesn't require any Atkins products. Both menu plans are great and I believe will help set one up for success.

I would also recommend reading NANY too both are great books.

I love my new way of eating. I have lost weight and am much healthier. It's a great way for the whole family to eat, of course they don't count carbs and do eat higher carb foods like raw honey, more fruits, etc.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2014 2:18 PM PDT