Profile for Laurence E. Hall > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Laurence E. Hall RSS Feed

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms
Price: Click here to see our price
23 used & new from $168.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant Difference, March 18, 2013
Within minutes of doing a hardcore comparison between these and the Sony MDR7506 phones that I've owned for years, I've noticed an astounding difference. See, my Sony's were falling apart. We had a fairly long and good run I think. They must've known that I was considering replacing them, as they kept leaving little black reminders of themselves in my hair and/or on my clothes, hands and gear. Now, in a worn state, resembling a ratty earmuff, they've destined themselves as spares or friends' ears. Whatever. They're done.

Out of the box, I opened a mix of a track that (I thought) sounded really good in the Sony's and within a moment, I noticed the difference: I could really hear the high/mid and low frequencies. The highs were more pronounced, helping me identify a sibilance issue that I'd thought I'd heard before, but had EQ'd out. The lows also seemed a bit exaggerated, likely from ducking, which didn't sound as pronounced in the Sony's. It bleed a bit with the low-mids. Now, everything is much more defined and it seems a little easier to guess where the changes in frequency reside.

What I am trying to say is that I'm hearing more spatial qualities in this mix, and, maybe this is because of the dead space between your ear and the driver. Things are more closed and I can barely hear the laughs coming from the other room via the TV and those watching it. The bass is solid and discernible from other parts of the mix and the highs don't seem to bleed as much as the Sony's. While I can hear my bad compression (grin), I don't blame these one bit.

Overall, I'd say if you are looking for a solid pair of cans that cover your ears and really help you hear flaws, these would work! Do not buy these if you are looking for a DJ headphone - get something with a high output. At 250 ohms and plugged into my mostly digital setup, they are rock solid. The microfiber ear covers are pretty plush and comfy. I'm happy. Hail Duetschland!

Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S2 DJ Controller
Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S2 DJ Controller
10 used & new from $345.00

5.0 out of 5 stars fun out of the box, February 25, 2012
I've been DJ'ing for over 15 years and this is a new favorite. Out of the box you're ready to rock parties for hours. The second generation of traktor offers many improvements and the s2 is a perfect partner. I'll be honest in that I didn't read any instructions whatsoever as this was simply intuitive right out of the box. The jog wheels offer precision control while the high quality xfader glides back and forth. As a vinyl addict it's hard to notice a difference and while your records won't skip you still get a vinyl feel and total control over the pitch and tempo. Traktor allows more creative mixing as it takes alot of the beat match work away. The effects, EQ and filter within traktor are all quality. You've heard these effects over and over and not with the touch of a button you're golden.

I was a bit skeptical before purchase as I thought the s4 would be a better fit, but I'm more than satisfied. Besides a high quality sound you get a high quality experience. The hard part is figuring out what I am going to mix next!

At the time of this review I've had this thing for 3 days and have spent so much time on it that I'm once again hooked and ready to bring this bad boy out for my next gig. Native Instruments nailed it.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 24, 2012 8:14 AM PDT

Echo AudioFire2 4 Input / 6 Output FireWire Audio Interface for Mac OS X / Windows XP

5.0 out of 5 stars road ready: bring on the abuse, August 27, 2011
I love this interface. It's tough, reliable and has a very clean sound. Compact and perfect for travel and even endures the most rugged caress via the TSA. When you've only got soo much space in a club or dark cave somewhere, this is the perfect interface. Plug n play with OSX. This thing is solid and constantly delivers.

Space Rail Marble Roller Coaster Ball Set Level 1 5000mm Spacerail
Space Rail Marble Roller Coaster Ball Set Level 1 5000mm Spacerail

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring the sweetness and exciting feeling of the Space Rail. Word., March 30, 2011
For $14.99 this product can't be beat. Half the fun is reading the box. The printing will bring you hours of laughs. Here are a couple of my favorite gems:

"SPAC RAIL is a suit-toy which could be assembled freedom with its base, shaft and rail. the steel ball could run on the two lines sometimes snail and sometimes scour, it is for adult playing indoor.
How to the play the SPACE RAIL: For the loop-rail installed already. It just need take little time to adjust the corner of rail to ready the rail. It will bring the sweetness and exciting feeling of the SPACE RAIL word to you although it just for playing indoor."

And another:
"For the loop rail assembled already, it just only need little time to adjust the corner parts to finish loading the novel SPACE RAIL mold (average time: about 90120 minutes)"

And finally:
"Once the battery liquid spurt into eyes, please washing it with clean water at once or ask help from doctor."

I haven't even put this thing together fully and it has brought a multitude of laughs. What more could you ask for from the space rail?

TomTom ONE 140 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator
TomTom ONE 140 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator
3 used & new from $70.41

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy, a retiree can do it!, February 8, 2010
Maybe I am unlike most of you, but my gut tells me this is not the case! I have a wonderful mother. Unfortunately, she is not tech savvy. For years, we've laughed at some of her fun sayings. Our favorite, is that she is going to 'fax you an email'. Why not just write an email Mom?

Regardless, her and my stepfather, were looking for a GPS and assigned me to the task. I read all about this model and figured that this would work for them. Surpringly, they figured it out with no problems whatsoever. I downloaded the manual as I offered myself as their personal tech support. The result: I've NEVER been contacted whatsoever. Yes, I have spent many hours on the phone with them trying to teach them how to zap their temporary internet files or troubleshoot their wireless (yikes) connection. However, as soon as they put it in the car, they were able to figure out all of the features and put it to use. They've not been lost since and were even able to navigate the city of Chicago with it, a feat that they previously would not have done. This is a great GPS and you can't beat the price and amount of features packed inside.

This is a great product for anyone. Very easy menus, very easy to use and higly valuable for long car trips. Just ask my mom as I am sure she will agree!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars iPhone Protection, February 8, 2010
This is by far the most rock solid case on the market for iPhone I have used. I've dropped my iPhone once or twice and this case ensures that it will be OK. The only drag is putting this thing in a pocket. If you want something that is rock solid in terms of stability, this is the case for you. If you are a frequent dropper of small, personal technology then this is definitely for you!

Easy Origami Fold-a-Day: 2010 Day-to-Day Calendar
Easy Origami Fold-a-Day: 2010 Day-to-Day Calendar
by Jeff Cole
Edition: Calendar
16 used & new from $5.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Origami EVERYDAY, February 8, 2010
This calendar is awesome. It comes with 365+ pieces of colored paper to do your origiami. It's bright, colorful and each day you fold something new! Personally, I bought this to aid my quest of folding 1000 paper cranes to make a Senbazuru one day and thus far it is helping tremendously. On top of that, I've learned to make a bunch of other fun animals. This calendar rocks!

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars navigatable? hardly., June 2, 2006
this site is bland. obviously, a bunch of php and html coders designed this site as any designer would puke on this place. talk about an eyesore! this site is so ugly, rice krispies won't talk to 'em. I don't understand why they are rated so high, but maybe it's because all the soccer moms driving SUV's can get the magazine while getting food for the troops at their local albertsons.

Secondly, it violates many readability rules we all learned in college as designers about placement. I agree that breaking convention in design is standard and people who are able to do it well create awesome sites but AutoTrader is NOT an example of this. White backgrounds are great for new houses, but not when your sole navigation relies on soo much negative and white space.