Profile for Very Picky > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Very Picky RSS Feed (California)

Power Bright PB-12 US to UK 3-Prong Travel Outlet Plug Adapter
Power Bright PB-12 US to UK 3-Prong Travel Outlet Plug Adapter
Price: $7.81
5 used & new from $2.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Did the job perfectly!, January 17, 2012
I bought this adapter for my trip to England. As previous reviews had mentioned, my item was loose on the USA plug side. Just in case this was going to pose a problem, I had wound a few excess strips of gaffers tape around the adapter before leaving, only to later use it to keep any of the plugs securely fixed together if it was needed. The tape was not necessary, though the USA plugs I used were a bit loose, I ended up not needing to use any tape to keep things together. The opposite side fit into the England wall socket at our hotel perfectly. Overall a great value for the price, but be sure you are using devices with power supplies that automatically step down the power. These days, most phones, laptops, shavers will. This adapter will not step down power, it only physically adapts the two plug styles.

Black Rapid Straps RS4 Black Fabric, Lightweight and Low Profile, with ConnectR-2 and FastenR-2
Offered by The Shuttered Image
Price: $54.95
54 used & new from $42.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, but makes my gear feel cheap, January 16, 2011
I think that the concept is there, but could use some improvements. I bought and sold this all within a few weeks. I had the RS4 system along with two extra FastenR-2s for a second body and 70-200 mount. At first, everything was convenient and slick. However, for some strange reason I wasn't completely happy. It took some time before I finally realized why. Since this uses four metal connections (rectangle slider, 360 degree swivel, carabiner, and FastenR socket) the constant clunking, squeaking and clanking of everything made my gear sound and feel very cheap. Also, even though it has a rubber side to the shoulder pad, it can easily slide off your shoulder. I would suggest trying this strap yourself in-store somewhere before investing in this system.

I have been using an UpStrap for both of my bodies and haven't looked back!

Canon Metal Neck Strap 1 for All Elph Cameras, 34" Length
Canon Metal Neck Strap 1 for All Elph Cameras, 34" Length
Price: $11.44
31 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Will help you shoot more!, January 16, 2011
Since this is a neck strap, I bought several of these to replace the short wrist straps of my point and shoot cameras. My Canon S90 nylon strap has been shredded from coming into contact with velco or hook-and-loop fasteners. I had to kiss that strap good bye. This one is metal and completely coated with thick durable clear plastic. It will not grab or pinch your skin or clothes. My other problem was that when my cameras are attached to short wrist straps they tend to stay on my pockets or in their protective cases due to laziness and lack of accessibility. If you wear your camera around your neck (with no case) you will shoot more! This is a high quality 34" Canon OEM neck strap and made in Japan. I highly recommend this neck strap.

Kata DR-467i Digital Rucksack -Black
Kata DR-467i Digital Rucksack -Black
Offered by mystuff630

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally found a keeper!, April 6, 2010
First, be sure that you purchase the 467i and not the plain Kata 467. The "i" is for "improved" and Kata has added some useful features to the 467 which I believe makes this backpack the best one of this size. I don't believe another brand backpack with these same features exist...at least not for this price. I've never owned a Kata bag before, but I was familiar with their build quality and knew that they offer features that are well thought out. Currently, I have been through a total of four previous DSLR camera bags and I've finally found a keeper!

Features that sold me on the Kata 467i:

1. The Kata "Insert Trolley" slot for securing (sliding over) your carry-on luggage handle through while traveling.
2. Tripod/monopod/umbrella/water bottle lower mesh holder and upper securing strap
3. Lightweight (3.7 lbs) and high quality materials used throughout.
4. Bright yellow interior (every compartment, even the laptop area) for easily locating bag contents.
5. Top accessible laptop storage is much better than side accessible lap top storage (Lowepro FP 250). I no longer need to lay my bag on its side to get to my lap top. This Kata easily fits my HP DV6 16.5" laptop.
6. Center chest strap to relieve some of the weight from your shoulders
7. The padded floor of the top compartment unzips and folds up, allowing access to the lower camera compartment. This is great for accessing your camera when space is a concern. (coach airline seating)
8. Does not have the typical huge hip/waist belt to get in the way and dig into your back when its not being used (99% of the time), just a simple nylon strap and clips instead.
9. Rain cover is included.
10. The top handle is awesome and very comfortable carry when not having this strapped to your back.

Update:
It has been a couple weeks after purchasing this bag and I am still extremely happy with it. Now I should probably list what camera gear I normally fit into this. Nikon D90 with MB-D80 grip mounted to a Nikon 50mm 1.4 prime. Alongside that I have a Tokina 11-16 2.8 and Nikon 35mm 1.8 prime. This all fits in the lower camera compartment. A Nikon 70-200 2.8 (inside the Nikon zipper case) fits snugly in the top compartment parallel to the ground. There is a little room to spare on the top of this compartment too. After all that, there is still room for miscellaneous things like a small rocket blaster, small table top tripod, SD cards etc. in the front zipper pockets. I hope this helps!

Update 9 months later:
Still going strong. Since my last review I have sold the D90, MB-D80 grip, and 11-16 Tokina. Now using a D700 (no accessory grip) and 16-35 f/4. The 16-35 fits perfectly in the bottom side partition, and the D700 attached to 50mm f/1.4 fits with room to spare in bottom main compartment. Still an excellent backpack and highly recommended.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 2, 2011 1:08 PM PST

Lowepro Fastpack 250 Camera/Laptop Backpack
Lowepro Fastpack 250 Camera/Laptop Backpack
Price: Click here to see our price
40 used & new from $69.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Used for nearly 1 year, and now my review., April 3, 2010
Rather than write my review upon first receiving the Lowepro Fastpack 250, I decided to wait and I'm glad that I did. This bag has a lot of room and can store a lot of gear, but I am currently looking for another bag to replace it. This was great for the first couple months, but I now know exactly how I use a camera bag, and what I need in a future one. While the design and quick access features may be great while wearing the backpack, they are not at all convenient when the bag is at it's normal, sitting-up position in which a back pack is set down (propped up). I use this bag to store my gear at home, often bring this bag to work, and travel with it too. Because the lap top compartment and lower camera area both have their zippers along the side of the bag, it can be inconvenient getting to any of it, and access to both require more room than if there was top zipper access. In tight spots (sitting in an airplane), removing your lap top can be a difficult task. While not the fault of Lowepro, I NEVER performed their advertised quick one-shoulder-strap-off technique for which these side panels were developed for, but I imagine most people who own this bag realize they never do either. Lastly, I traveled a lot with this bag and would have loved a slot to slide the extending handle of my carry-on luggage through to hold it secure on top. There are other backpacks now on the market that have this feature and can solve all of my above issues while providing additional features for the same price I paid for this.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2011 7:03 AM PDT

Manfrotto 709B Digi Table Top Tripod with Ball Head (Black)
Manfrotto 709B Digi Table Top Tripod with Ball Head (Black)
Price: $49.88
9 used & new from $33.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent table top tripod, March 27, 2010
This is an excellent table top tripod and the highest quality mini tripod I have ever used and worth the price. The mini ball head makes this super easy to use. I highly recommend this for any photographers camera bag. I bring it everywhere that I bring my DSLR.

Domke 700-30D F-3X Super Compact Bag -Olive Drab
Domke 700-30D F-3X Super Compact Bag -Olive Drab
Price: $129.99
11 used & new from $129.99

2.0 out of 5 stars High on quality, low on features., March 27, 2010
The Domke F-3X is of excellent quality and materials, but offers poor protection, padding and features. I purchased this bag after reading the stellar reviews here on Amazon. After first receiving it, I loved it. However after a few weeks I found myself using it less and less, eventually upgrading to something better due to the inconvenient top flap clips, and overall just worried about the safety of my equipment inside.

Cons:
1. This bag alone is heavy and simply does not offer enough padding and does not hold its form well. With only a few weeks of use, the material got softer and held less of its form. The outer perimeter of the bag has no padding, including the top flap. I wouldn't exactly call the floor of the bag padded, but it has a very hard cheap cardboard material which is removable. There is a removable padded insert for lenses etc, but is of poor quality. I know Domke offers additional compartment inserts, but didn't feel like investing more into this bag.
2. I think the two military style clips used to secure the top flap make this for a frustrating, but necessary way to secure the flap and gear inside this bag. While wearing this bag over the shoulder, releasing these two clips are difficult and can pinch you! In my opinion a shoulder bag should be extremely easy to open while wearing it, this is not.
3. With heavy photo equipment inside, you must use of the top flap clips, the velco strips alone (underneath the flap) will not hold the top flap secure enough. A simple zipper would be much better here.
4. Pricey bag considering lack of features and padding.

Pros:
1. Roomy.
2. Might be better for lightweight photo equipment.
3. The military/primitive style makes this bag look great, but ballistic nylon, zippers, and foam would help it be much more functional and save some weight.
4. Uses high quality material. Rubber threads sewn into the shoulder strap are a smart way to avoid it slipping off.

Comments:
I wouldn't recommend this bag unless you have the ability to try it out for yourself and see if its for you before buying it. If you are going for a classic look camera bag, and don't care about functionality or protection, this bag is for you. It is truly unique and one-of-a-kind in the looks department, but I wouldn't trust my expensive DSLR equipment in this bag.

I considered selling this bag but decided to keep it, but only to store my old 1970s 35mm SLR camera and gear. I swapped out my DSLR gear out for something more modern and safe.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2012 10:43 AM PDT

Targus Digital TG-BGD40 Battery Grip for Nikon D40/D40x/D60
Targus Digital TG-BGD40 Battery Grip for Nikon D40/D40x/D60
Offered by Fenix Management
Price: $50.36
8 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Grip for the Nikon D40, January 31, 2010
I am a big fan of this grip. I didn't at all need the extra battery capacity, as the single EN-EL9 battery has always lasted a great amount of time before needed a recharge. The main reason for buying this was for the larger area to hold my D40. If you experience unusually short battery life, be sure your D40 has the latest firmware version (A 1.12 and B 1.11 found on Nikon USA website). Personally, I use one EN EL9 battery in this grip and it works great. With only one battery, the entire assembly remains very light. The very first time I mounted the grip it didn't sit perfectly along the bottom. I just gave it a good knock on a table and it lined up with the camera. As previously stated by other reviewers, there is no roller dial. Also when held along the side for portraits, the camera will not focus when the shutter release is pressed half-way. Since Nikon did not intend to make a grip for this camera, I don't feel Targus had a choice and did an excellent job. In fact, I think the IR release Targus made is excellent for what it is. Overall, a great addition to my D40 and very happy with this purchase.

NIKON Rubber Hood for 50mm Lens
NIKON Rubber Hood for 50mm Lens
Offered by MUGEN MART
Price: $19.45
24 used & new from $0.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon HR2 perfect for AF-S Nikkor 35mm f1.8 DX, January 31, 2010
There are currently no reviews stating that this HR-2 hood will work without vignetting with the AF-S 35mm 1.8 DX, so I took the risk of ordering it. Even the Nikon USA website does not list this hood as an accessory to the AF-S 35mm 1.8 lens. Since the original plastic HB-46 hood included with the 35mm lens is very short, I wanted something better since I take my Nikon D40 everywhere without a camera bag. As luck would have it, this works perfectly and photos have no vignetting with this fully extended. This hood also allows the use of a 52mm Hoya UV filter. First attach any filters directly to the lens, then screw this hood on the end of the filter (the instructions provided state that any filters should attach to the actual lens first). The opposite end of the hood is also threaded, so if for any reason you wanted to mount a 52mm filter on the opposite side, you could do that as well. The original Nikon lens cap will insert perfectly. The hood extends and contracts with a high quality feel. This item is made in Japan, and I didn't mind spending a little more money for a genuine Nikon product. From the look and feel of this hood, it will last for years.