Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale
Profile for C. Koch > Reviews

Browse

C. Koch's Profile

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C. Koch RSS Feed (Saint Paul)

Public Enemy's It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (33 1/3)
Public Enemy's It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (33 1/3)
by Christopher R. Weingarten
Price: $12.77
74 used & new from $3.75

5.0 out of 5 stars The Series at Its Best, June 15, 2010
This book is a great example of what all the books in the 33 1/3 series should be. It offers a concise explanation of how the album was constructed, why, and why it all matters.
The story of It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back has been told before. If you are writing a term paper, check out these sources too: Can't Stop Won't Stop: A History of the Hip-Hop Generation, Check the Technique: Liner Notes for Hip-Hop Junkies, and Don't Rhyme for the Sake of Riddlin': The Authorized Story of Public Enemy.

Having already read the above, I was hesitant to purchase this book. However, not only did the author offer additional information, he uses a clever literary device. Weingarten argues that the back story of each of the samples that makes the music of It Takes a Nation are essentially important to the new songs that were created. I think going into an explanation would only detract from a new reader's enjoyment, but (in my opinion) it is executed perfectly.

Before reading this book, I could explain why this album is a favorite. But after reading it, I understand so much better! It is a sum of many things I love. James Brown. Funkadelic. Stax Records. And, most of all, sampling: taking something old and making something new with it. For me, it was a big "Ah-Ha!" moment. Weingarten explained to me something that had been swirling around in my head for years. Thanks. When I was finished, I let it sit for a week. Then I picked it up and read it again.

Even if my analysis sounds a little over the top , if you are interested in Public Enemy, enjoy music history, or love learning about sample sources, you won't be disappointed with this book.

Born to Use Mics: Reading Nas's Illmatic
Born to Use Mics: Reading Nas's Illmatic
by Sohail Daulatzai
Price: $13.28
81 used & new from $3.73

3.0 out of 5 stars Not A 5 Mic Book, April 17, 2010
I try to write reviews that I would have found helpful when I was shopping.
The following info has already been mentioned in other reviews, but is important:
This is a collection of essays connected to the tracks off of Nas' classic album "Illmatic." There is an essay for every song, including the intro, plus bonus commentary, interviews, and the original 5 Mic review from the Source. If one wants a "making of" version of Illmatic, then definately buy the 33 1/3 book for Illmatic.Nas' Illmatic (33 1/3 series)

If you are thinking of buying this book, answer these two questions:
1. Do you think a fair interpretation of the second line in "The World Is Yours" ("writin in my book of rhymes, all the words pass the margin") could be "The margins also serve as a metaphor for urban youth relegated to the margins by being forced to work within clearly defined legal, economic, social, and political parameters (i.e., margins)."?
2. Would you agree that "N.Y. State of Mind" is "a bird's-eye view, a series of close-ups and cutaways that not only allows us to imagine the land-mine littered landscape of the globe under American power - but also to see the connections between the forces that have devastated urban centers in the United States and those that are destroying lives throughout the Third World"?

If the answer is "Yes," definitely buy the book. If you answered, "No" or "I'm not sure" then this book might not be for you. Personally, I found these connections very clever, but I kept thinking, "I don't think this was on Nas' mind when he wrote this." My recommendation, look at the library first or borrow from a friend. The additional essays and interviews are very good. Nas' interviews are insightful, dream hampton writes about sharing Illmatic with Tupac, and Jon Caramanica writes an excellent essay putting Illmatic in historical context. He also includes a line that pops out in contrast to other writers: "(Illmatic) became what the listener wanted it to be as much as, if not more than, what Nas intended it to be."
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2015 2:46 PM PST

Hosa Cable CMR206 Stereo 1/8 Inch to Dual RCA Adapter Cable - 6 Foot
Hosa Cable CMR206 Stereo 1/8 Inch to Dual RCA Adapter Cable - 6 Foot
Price: $5.95
43 used & new from $3.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price, April 16, 2010
Just wanted to add another positive review. Order with confidence. It's the same product they have at the store, just half the price.

Motley Crue: A Visual History, 1983-2005
Motley Crue: A Visual History, 1983-2005
by Neil Zlozower
27 used & new from $32.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Crue Fans Will Be Pleased, August 5, 2009
What you get:
This is a coffee table sized book documenting photographer Neil Zlozower's collection of Motley Crue pics. The pictures are high quality and adequately cover 83-05 as the title says. Photos are typically in the photography studio, staged live performances, actual live performances, and some candid. Shout, Theatre, Girls, Dr. Feelgood, and New Tattoo are represented. Interspersed are page length commentaries from other photographers, clothing designers, industry types, and Nikki, Vince, and Mick.

The Ruling:
If you are a big Cruehead and $25 isn't a huge amount of money for you, get this book. Zlozower is responsible for some of the most famous Crue shoots. You will recognize the stuff here, but they are not just reprints of stuff from The Dirt and so forth. As mentioned, the shots are high quality and do not leave detail lacking. The written commentaries aren't earth-shattering (and sometimes repeat some already well known stories), but if you love Motley history, these are enjoyable reads. Tom Werman even comments tastefully on his treatment in The Heroin Diaries. It makes me wish there was an extended version of The Dirt.
Personally, I am not a huge fan of coffee books because you look at them once, and then what? But my rock n roll heart pitter-pattered at these detailed live shots - clarifying the early years that I was too young to experience and brightening (in my mind) the pixilated bootleg concerts I watch with squinted eyes.

However, if $25 is a lot to you, remind yourself that this is a book of pictures. How many times will you flip through it before you feel you got your money's worth? You can also wait for the paperback.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2011 9:21 PM PDT

Economics in the Movies (with Access Card)
Economics in the Movies (with Access Card)
by G. Dirk Mateer
Price: $51.39
24 used & new from $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars 99 cents is a good price, April 21, 2009
Economics Teachers! Hope this helps.
The idea sounds good, dramatizations of economic principles. In the end this is a so-so book. You may find it difficult to connect the author's choices with what you do in the classroom. My biggest disappointment is that many of the recommended clips are in the 60 second range. This leaves me wondering, what is the point? In my classroom, if you turn on a movie for anything less than five minutes, it ends up being a distraction more than an aid. The originals have an access code to an internet site with the clips, but expect used copies to no longer have this option, then you have to find the movie yourself and then find the scene. I don't regret buying this, but it has been 11 weeks of class and I haven't used it yet.

Favorite Activities for the Teaching of Psychology (Activities Handbook for the Teaching of Psychology)
by Ludy T., Jr. Benjamin
31 used & new from $22.89

5.0 out of 5 stars You can use the whole book!, April 21, 2009
I use this for an advanced high school psychology course. It is designed for college, but it works well. Often I am frustrated when I purchase books like this because half of the activities are either fluff, busy work, or so particular that it is hard to connect it to the class I am teaching. First, the book has A LOT of activities. One would probably be pleased if only a third of the examples were used during a semester length course. Second, explanations are written so that it is easy to figure out what the activity entails and whether or not it would connect with what one is teaching. Finally, it is a fair price for what one gets.

Our Most Dear Friend: An Illustrated Bhagavad-gita for Children
Our Most Dear Friend: An Illustrated Bhagavad-gita for Children
by Visakha Dasi
29 used & new from $9.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Book - Not Worth $80, April 21, 2009
This is just a quick review I would have found useful:
I was looking for supplementary material for a religion class I am teaching. I needed material that was true to the religion but not above my audience. Therefore, this is definitely a CHILDREN's book in that it is the length that you could read it to your child before bedtime. The price is because this is out of print and should not deceive you about the length. Besides that, what the other reviewers say is true. It is a nice looking book that clearly communicates ideas from the Bhagavad-Gita to kids and novices. In the end, it worked well for me, but was shorter than I thought it would be.

Carved In Stone
Carved In Stone
Price: $9.02
27 used & new from $1.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Alternative Rock???????, January 22, 2009
This review is from: Carved In Stone (Audio CD)
Let's keep it simple...
If you are a Vince fan... You will like this album.
If you have never heard it and want a unique glimpse back into 90s alt rock... buy it.
This is not a great album overall (there are filler tracks), but there are some awesome things going on here. It is almost too bizarre to put together. Vince Neil, lead singer of the greatest "hair metal" band of all time and (in my opinion) one of the meanest bands to ever walk the face of the earth - teams up with The Dust Brothers - most famous for the Beastie Boy's "Paul's Boutique" and classic tracks of Tone Loc. WHAT the HUH?!? Believe it.
Vince is mysterious and sexy. Track 3 has a saxophone solo... and it is AWESOME!

The skinny:
Vince's voice is great, but the Dust Brothers' production is what makes this unique and special. I dare say: slinky and sexy. This album is the missing link between "Motley Crue" self-titled '94 and "Generation Swine."
I strongly recommend tracks 1-3 and Skylar's Song is great for the sentimental and easily lets Tommy Lee's "Brandon" keep the title for worst song ever. This is not a hair metal album - it truly is 90s Alt-Rock. Give Vince some credit.

Heavy Metal Parking Lot [VHS]
Heavy Metal Parking Lot [VHS]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars You Will Watch It Over and Over and Over and Over..., August 17, 2005
I kept reading references to "Heavy Metal Parking Lot" in various places but never could figure out what it was exactly. It got to the point that I was curious enough to just buy the tape without knowing what I was going to get.
For the curious: Heavy Metal Parking Lot was created when some guys lugged Cable Access cameras to a tail-gating party before a Judas Priest concert in Maryland circa 1986. All the cameramen needed to ask the fans was "Who do you like?" and their reaction of screams, hollers, and beer pounding is a spectacle for the ages. The program is about 20 minutes long and it always comes out when I have guests over for a little drinking. (My favorite is the guy who simply says, "PRIEST! Rock n Roll Forever!")
If you think you will like this video. You are wrong. You will love it.
Buy this video if you are interested in any of the following: Hair Metal, Rock n Roll, the 80s, sociology, juvenile delinquincy, beer, weed, what makes Americans loved around the world.

*I just read that a DVD edition is coming out!!!

Uncensored: Motley Crue [VHS]
Uncensored: Motley Crue [VHS]
VHS
13 used & new from $11.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Piece of Crue History, August 17, 2005
If you are a big fan of the Crue and are wondering if you want this tape - my advice is go for it.

What you get: The whole program is 45 minutes in length which is partly filled by the five videos. The rest is very amusing staged footage shot after the Theatre of Pain tour and before recording Girls, Girls, Girls. Many of the images are used in the Crue's VH1 Behind The Music, so it will look familiar, but it is cool to see it without the dumb voice over. This isn't ground breaking stuff here but it is worth it to hear Tommy's story that begins with how he had to take a huge piss and to hear Vince's brief impression of the landlord who owned the place he, Nikki, and Tommy lived in and destroyed when the band first formed. Furthermore, you and your fellow Crue Heads can spend endless hours debating what is real and what is staged.

However, do not pay more than 20 bucks for this thing. I paid $13 or so. I'm pleased with my purchase, but there is not a whole lot here (especially if you already own the Greatest Videos DVD) and we all hate paying too much and getting too little.