Profile for Dr Steve Hickey > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dr Steve Hickey RSS Feed (Manchester, England)

Fire Your Doctor! How to Be Independently Healthy
Fire Your Doctor! How to Be Independently Healthy
by Andrew W. Saul
Price: $17.96
27 used & new from $15.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should have a copy, April 11, 2006
This superb book should be in every home. As a young lad, growing up in Liverpool, a favourite aunt once told me that health was our most important possession. At the time, I thought health was automatic. However, as people I loved became sick and died, I realised that she was right.

The best way people can look after their health is to take ownership of it, rather than relying on their doctors. An amusing 17th Century cartoon hangs on the bathroom wall, in the home of a surgeon friend of mine. A physician is seen congratulating the household cook, as his greatest ally. These are his words:

Yes, my good friend, I see you are hard at it and I never can quit the house of my rich patients without shaking hands with the cook. I owe you much, for you confer great favours on me. Your skill in kickshaws and the ingenious art of poisoning enables us medical men to ride in our carriages. Without your assistance, we should all go on foot and be slaved!!

(The Physician's Friend, published by T. Tegg, 111 Cheapside, London, England, 1805-1824).

As the cartoon implies and doctors often suggest, prevention is more effective than treatment. Despite this, the medical establishment is structured towards curing illnesses, rather than preventing them. Dr Saul is different. His interest in health stems from early childhood, when he considered becoming a surgeon. Unable to stand the sight of blood, he did not relish the thought of a career "bailing out leaky boats," so he became interested in natural health.

Medicine has become a high-tech, high-cost industry. Standard medical advice often leaves people in a state of ill health, so common as to be considered normal. Dr Saul believes this level of chronic sickness is unnecessary. He does not just want us to visit our doctors less often; he is on a crusade to help us all feel great.

In Fire your doctor, he explains, in an easygoing style, how people can avoid ill health. He gives practical advice on major diseases and health conditions. People are increasingly worried about how to afford even basic medical treatment. Dr Saul provides answers; follow his advice and you will visit your doctor less often. For many people, the cost of the book is less than that of a single visit.

Dr Saul's approach is practical. He gives simple recommendations for increasing general health and makes suggestions for various maladies. Pragmatically, the reader is not expected to follow all of the advice given. Health can be improved dramatically by making small changes to a person's diet and lifestyle. The tag line for this book is how to be independently healthy: it will not be lost on readers that they may also remain more wealthy.

Perhaps we have had to wait rather too long for Dr Saul to remind us that what we eat feeds our doctors. One thing I can be sure of: my aunt would have loved Andrew Saul's book.