Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM
Profile for Helene Knott > Reviews

Browse

Helene Knott's Profile

Customer Reviews: 53

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Helene Knott "Fiber Artist" RSS Feed (Portland, OR USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Roasted Unsalted Ca Pistachios 5 Lb Bulk Bag
Roasted Unsalted Ca Pistachios 5 Lb Bulk Bag
Offered by Its Delish
Price: $49.74
2 used & new from $44.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Unsalted Pistachios are the Best!, June 6, 2016
I order these on a regular basis for our parrot - he LOVES pistachios and we have to be careful with salt in his diet. We can all do with less salt in our diets as well and after the first time I bought unsalted pistachios, I discovered I like them better unsalted too. One local store used to sell 8 oz packages of unsalted ones but have switched to the salted and flavored ones only and another store with a good 'bulk' food section sells the unsalted ones by the pound - for $13 a pound so it much more economical to buy the 5 lb bag. These ones came very fresh and tasty, we keep them in the refrigerator to preserve the freshness as even with our and our parrots love for then, the bag will last us for a few months.

Loriva Roasted Peanut Oil, 12.7 oz
Loriva Roasted Peanut Oil, 12.7 oz
Offered by Quidsi Retail LLC
Price: $11.55
10 used & new from $5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Flavor, August 26, 2015
This oil is the best for Asian cooking - pan fried noodles are downright heavenly cooked in this. It's also good for other types of food where the flavor of the oil is likely to be detectable and the kitchen smalls wonderful when I cook with it. Made from roasted peanuts, it is more akin to roasted sesame oil in flavor rather than the standard peanut oil you see in markets that is fairly flavorless. My local market used to carry this but stopped stocking it a couple of years ago and the closest product I'd found was one made by Hain that was not nearly as rich or flavorful. I was pleased to find it at such a good price, my market was charging close to $10 per bottle and the last time I ordered this from Amazon I had to buy a case of 6 bottles to get a good price and free shipping. Not a problem as I was able to share some with friends and use it all before it went rancid but it's nice to know that now I can just order a couple of bottles at a time if I wish.

Corals: A Quick Reference Guide (Oceanographic Series)
Corals: A Quick Reference Guide (Oceanographic Series)
by Julian Sprung
54 used & new from $5.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Visual Reference, June 28, 2015
I read some reviews criticizing the book for being 'pretty' but with little information on the science and culture of corals. This might be true but for my purpose as a visual reference for embroidery and fiber art I couldn't ask for a better guide. There are LOTS of photos of such a wide variety of corals that I'm going to have to explore the theme in more projects.

Reacher Grabber by VIVE - Suction Cup Grip - 32" Heavy Duty Mobility Aid - Tool for Light Bulb Remover, iPad Pick Up, Litter Picker, Trash / Garbage, Garden Nabber, Long Extender - Lifetime Guarantee
Offered by HEALTH SOURCE
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works pretty well so far, March 2, 2015
Product seems to work well, at least better than a cheap version we bought at a variety store though I haven't tried picking up anything very heavy yet.

Tabasco Spicy Salt, 6 Ounce
Tabasco Spicy Salt, 6 Ounce
Offered by Redori
Price: $11.10
3 used & new from $6.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty!, February 26, 2015
Love this! Tabasco has such a unique flavor and over Christmas flavored salts were the big thing among my family and friends. This one outshines all the others I got because of the distinctive 'Tabasco' taste. Can't wait to try them on fried chicken wings in lieu of a real 'Buffalo' sauce. I ordered this for myself and as gifts after seeing a profile about the McIlhenney company on the news, they showed a bottle of this during the story and I though "I have to get me some of that". Glad Amazon had it as I prefer ordering from Amazon than from lots of different sites.

NoCry Cut Resistant Gloves - High Performance Level 5 Protection, Food Grade. Size Small, Free Ebook Included!
Offered by No Cry
Price: $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars So Far, So Good, February 26, 2015
So far, I've only tried the experiment shown in the picture and it did work. The knife was very sharp and it did not go through the material, thankfully, as I did press pretty hard. I bought the gloves to use in conjunction with a mandoline I bought at the same time. The mandoline has safety features but I don't want to take any chances. I also am a quilter and occasionally use a technique that involves using a rotary cutter without a ruler (picture cutting fabric with a rolling razor blade). I'm hoping these gloves will be useful for that as well as it's terrifying using that cutter without a barrier to protect your hand - a friend f mine nearly severed a finder with her cutter. Finally, I also have a parrot who has become rather ill-tempered of late. I am going to have to begin a routine of retraining him to sit on my hand and at least to start, I want to use protective gloves, he has wrought some pretty nasty damage on my hands recently.

In all cases, I will need gloves that fit nicely and close, not bulky 'gauntlets' and so I'm hoping these will work. They fit well, are comfortable (I bought the small size as I have very small hands and they fit perfectly) and so far appear to be very cut resistant. I will re-post as I have a chance to try them for the various tasks.

The Sublime Heritage of Martha Mood, Limited Commemorative Edition, Volume II
The Sublime Heritage of Martha Mood, Limited Commemorative Edition, Volume II
by Shirley Koploy
22 used & new from $75.51

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece!, January 15, 2015
This book is phenomenal. I have been quilting first on a hobby level and then professionally since the early 1970's and why I'd never heard of Martha Mood before is beyond me. Her work is gorgeous and quite creative - a true artist in cloth. Perhaps she ran more into the 'art ' circles than the 'quilt' ones; I've seen other fiber artists who seem to get overlooked by the quilting community before. This is the second volume in a two volume set, the first volume is more a biography about her and her career. While I should probably pick that one up as well at some point, I really wanted the book with the gallery, eye-candy of her spectacular work. The photographs in this large format book are numerous and beautifully reproduced, she was quite prolific so there is a lot to see. It's a shame there was no cover image on the listing, the copy I saw in a friend's possession had a lovely printed hard cover featuring a close up of one of the mural style pieces she made. I was delighted to find my copy had the same cover when it arrived.

Martha used a wide variety of types of fabrics in her work, many appear to be decorator fabrics and she used a lot of hand stitching/embroidery to add exquisite detail to her work. The pieces she made were largely applique, some rendered skillfully by hand with turned edges, some rendered in raw edge. There is no reference to whether she used fusible webs in the raw edged work but given most of the pieces shown are dated from early to late 1960's, I know the choices of fusible webs were very limited back then (if available at all). The raw edged work does not appear to be fused though; there is a 'look' to fused applique that I find particularly unpleasant, even the softer webs do not allow the fabric to form true to its nature and trying to do as much hand stitching as is present in these works would have been very difficult had the wok been fused.

Due to the large format and large photos, it is possible to really appreciate the workmanship and the texture of the materials shown in the pieces selected for this book, I think it is a 'must have' for any quilter who is interested in pictorial style quilting and applique. Interestingly. my copy is a bit of a collectors item in my opinion as a stamp on the front faceplate page indicates it was withdrawn from the Smithsonian Institution Library on May 12, 1983, that in itself makes it an interesting addition to my library.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Charley Harper's Animal Kingdom
Charley Harper's Animal Kingdom
by Todd Oldham
Price: $70.49
64 used & new from $49.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Some of the Prints could have been better reproductions but still worthwhile, January 15, 2015
I discovered Charley Harper a couple of years ago though thinking back, I'm pretty sure I remember books from my youth that were probably illustrated by him. I previously bought the 'other' Todd Oldham book 'Charley Harper, an Illustrated Life'. I chose it primarily because it was less expensive and a friend had a copy so I was able to see it before I bought it. While I really do love that book, the overall book is smaller and many of the illustrations are presented two to four to a page (sort of like a catalog) and I really wanted to see the prints in a larger format. I finally decided to spring for this larger, more expensive book and I'm not disappointed. The lure of previously unpublished work is what drew me in.

Most of the reviews I read raved about it and one rather dismal review completely panned the book based on the blurry and grainy presentation of some of the works. It is true, there are a some poor reproductions of some of the work, in some, the images are blurry in others it appears the you can see a printing screen pattern (a sort of dot matrix texture). I am assuming by the reference to some of the artwork having been located in archives from the companies for which the graphics were done, that perhaps the only examples that could be found were these poorer reproduction prints and not the original master artwork. While I wish these prints were better reproductions, I would rather be able to see a poor print than not see it at all.

Criterion, a company that re-issues films considered to be milestones of film making, is very selective and in the past would only issue a classic film if a clean master could be found. It would be nice if more of the images in this book were also considered on the basis of finding the clean, original master prints and that is why I could not award this book five stars, however, as I said previously, I'm delighted to be able to see some of these rare Charley Harper designs at all, even if they aren't perfect examples.

Lone Wolf & Cub Complete [Blu-ray]
Lone Wolf & Cub Complete [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Lone Wolf & Cub Complete 6 Film Collection
13 used & new from $238.74

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like classic Samurai films with a Manga twist..., November 25, 2014
I bought this to replace the set we own on Laser disc. A couple of years ago our laser player bit the dust and we have not gotten around to seeing if it's still repairable, that technology is so old, it may not be possible to repair it and so every now and then, I replace the films we really like as our budget allows. This was one I hated to lose, we were introduced to a stripped down, single film version years ago by a friend who told us it was the craziest most entertaining movie he'd ever seen. That film was called 'Shogun Assassin' and it was a rather poorly edited movie made from scraps of these original films compiled into one.

Upon researching martial arts films, my husband discovered that it was created from this series and we decided to buy the first movie. Back then, this was not readily available for rent anywhere and we were obliged to buy it if we wanted to see it. After the first pilot film, we ran out and bought the other five. Not only are the original films more cohesive than the chopped up Shogun Assassin version, but the cinematography is spectacular, capturing the presentation of those old classic Samurai movies from the 60's but in color and with an artistry to the scene compositions. I have been disappointed by some of the more contemporary Samurai flicks; some of the new ones have a rather disjointed filming style that leaves me feeling there was little to connect the story between (often well choreographed) fight scenes and I want a good story to flesh things out. There have been a few good new ones but for the most part, I like the old classics.

I mention this because there are many versions of the Lone Wolf and Cub series; it was has been reproduced for television in the 1970's with the same director (Kenji Misumi) but different actors than the series of full length films and again in early 2000 with a completely different cast and crew. My review is of the original films made starting in 1972 and on through 1974 starring Tomisaburô Wakayama as the protagonist/hero Ogami Itto.

PetAg CatSure Senior Nutritional Supplement 11oz
PetAg CatSure Senior Nutritional Supplement 11oz
Price: $4.20
14 used & new from $4.20

5.0 out of 5 stars This may have saved my cat's life, November 25, 2014
Our 16 year old cat loves this. We have had to put him on a renal care diet for an enlarged kidney but frankly, he was not thrilled with the canned food so we put him back onto regular canned food retaining the special prescription diet dry kibble that he will eat. all the medicated food in the world will not hep if the cat refuses to eat it (and to anyone who would suggest if you don't give them anything else they will eventually eat it - that didn't work). The general canned food and renal care kibble was working great until I went out of town a few months ago. While I was gone, my husband informed me that our elderly kitty had stopped eating entirely. He tried everything - changing flavors, brands, even giving the cat fresh cooked meat; the cat refused to eat at all. I travel often and though the cat doesn't like my absences, this was the first time ever he stopped eating while I was gone. By the time I returned, he had lost at least a couple of pounds and looked like a victim of famine, his bones (in particular his shoulder blades, hip bones and sternum) were very visible and his skin was literally hanging off his frame; I was sure we would lose him.

It was the weekend and I couldn't take him to the vet so we tried again to get him to eat. He seemed hungry (starving in fact) but kept turning his nose up at everything offered. Thinking it might be his teeth hurting him, I tried thinning and pureeing the food to the consistency of soup but that didn't work, neither did giving him broth. In desperation I sacrificed a can of human food albacore packed in water. He loves the juice drained from the can - we call it 'tuna soup'; an occasional treat I let him have though I know it's really not good for him but he loves it so passionately I figured if he wouldn't eat it this time, I would know all hope was lost. It did the trick, he almost inhaled it and then wanted more but between knowing it isn't a healthy thing for him to have on a regular basis plus the cost of the albacore (I love tuna myself but there's a limit to how much I can and should eat), we started trying to think of other things we could try. That was when my husband stated it was a shame there wasn't a form of Ensure for cats and I got on the internet to check and found this product. I bought a can at Petco and it did the trick; he loved it and between this and another dose of tuna soup, it jump started his appetite and he began eating all his regular food again. I found it was cheaper on Amazon and have been ordering it for him on a fairly regular basis. I also occasionally order a similar product called Clinicare Feline Liquid Renal Care but as it is about twice the cost, I have had to switch between the two. He is now back up to his former weight and seems to be feeling better and more spry than he was even prior to his anorexic crisis.

Several reviewers mentioned their cats not liking this product which is understandable, for some reason they made this vanilla flavored(???). It doesn't put off our little geriatric kitty though; he always loved a finger-ful of whipped cream whenever we have dessert and I suppose this must taste very similar. In any case, it has worked wonders on him and I'll go as far as to say it may have saved his life.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6