Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Mary O. Paddock > Reviews

Browse

Mary O. Paddock's Profile

Customer Reviews: 64

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mary O. Paddock RSS Feed (SW Missouri)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Junkers
Junkers
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun with Robots, June 20, 2016
This review is from: Junkers (Kindle Edition)
Full disclosure: I received pre-release copy of this book in return for an honest review.

That won't be hard at all. Benjamin Wallace's work is consistently funny and never, ever boring. Junkers is true to form.

Junkers features a team of "experts" whose job it is to dismantle rogue robotic equipment. It is not a job for sissies. Sometimes the equipment objects. In this story, we find our intrepid team embroiled in a sort of mass objection as they take on everything from angry dishwashers to road equipment that seems bent on redefining "road rage." Really, it's less an objection and more of an uprising and not only does the team have to stop the robots from destroying the city and the humans in it, but they have to figure out WHY all the robots have suddenly decided they hate their jobs and the humans who created them.

I loved all the characters, but my favorite became Glitch, who might not be the brightest member of the team (well, not in most respects), but is certainly the most unique.

This is well worth your time.

Pursuit of the Apocalypse (A Duck & Cover Adventure Post-Apocalyptic Series Book 3)
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Satire and high adventure. Who knew?, May 7, 2016
The Librarian is back and he's on a mission!

If you enjoy post-apocalyptic satire that's also a rollicking good time, then this book is for you. The story is packed with high adventure and lots of easy slapstick. But if you've been following the news or contemplating what's wrong with our society, then you'll love it even more. Wallace takes aim at everybody-- conservatives, liberals, pro-gun nuts, anti-gun nuts, and animal rights activists. He even pokes fun at trigger warnings and those who "need" them. And it's all done in (mostly) good humor. I don't think he missed an issue. Overall, this book is well worth the reader's time.

The only reason I'm giving it four instead of five is that the ending caught me completely off guard. It's difficult to explain it without giving it away, but in general terms, I think expected it to be a bigger moment for all characters involved.

New Balance Women's WX857V1 Training Shoe, Navy/White, 7.5 D US
New Balance Women's WX857V1 Training Shoe, Navy/White, 7.5 D US
Price: $50.52
6 used & new from $50.52

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the New Balance I Know, May 5, 2016
I am a hard to fit customer. My feet are normally sized (I wear a 7, but opt for a 7 1/2). I choose wide shoes because, as I'm aging, my feet are spreading out some.

But I over pronate rather badly. So for most of the last ten years, I've relied almost exclusively on New Balance's rollbar construction. Not only does it help my feet, the shoe itself stands up to the wear and tear. Considering the price I'm paying for these shoes, they certainly should.

This is the first shoe I've purchased from New Balance that I'm not happy with. My husband, who also pronates, noted the lack of arch support before I put it on. It's narrower through the toes and it doesn't fit well through the heel either. They are cheaply made--and that's a first. I looked far and wide for a shoe like the one I bought last year and found out that it's been replaced with a cheaper version that isn't making anyone else happy either. This looks to be a trend.

I don't know what's going on in NB's headquarters, but somebody needs to have a talk with somebody about quality, reputation, and what happens with you disappoint your customer base too often. I don't know where I'll go from here, but I promise you if you cheaper materials and poor make are your new goal, I can get shoes like that for a lot less money.

Outsunny 6.5' x 4.67' x 2.5' Outdoor Compact Walk-in Greenhouse
Outsunny 6.5' x 4.67' x 2.5' Outdoor Compact Walk-in Greenhouse
Offered by Aosom Direct
Price: $37.95
3 used & new from $37.95

5.0 out of 5 stars These structures are great for short-term projects, April 30, 2016
I've been using these little greenhouses for a number of years and have learned a few simple rules (the hard way) that I'm going to pass on to you. 1) Make sure to anchor them carefully to protect them from the wind. If you don't, the structure is subject to the stress of storms and windy day. You can wind up with the thing lying on its side if you're not careful. 2) Be gentle with the zippers, take your time when opening and closing them. 3) This is important. These structures are great for short-term projects, like growing seedlings. They are not designed to be permanent structures. The plastic thins and gets brittle when left out for more than a couple of months at a stretch. So take it down when you're through and plan to put it back up later if you're interested in extending your growing season by a month or so.

This little house is well-made and the zipper is solidly made. Now that I've learned the rules, I expect it last for at least one more growing season. :)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2016 11:45 AM PDT

Gardman 7682 Netting Grow Tunnel, Black Polyethylene, 10' Long x 18" High
Gardman 7682 Netting Grow Tunnel, Black Polyethylene, 10' Long x 18" High
Price: $26.99
11 used & new from $14.63

5.0 out of 5 stars I purchased this to keep rabbits and deer (especially deer) ..., April 30, 2016
I purchased this to keep rabbits and deer (especially deer) out of my new raised beds and to provide a little cover for the lettuce and spinach as warmer weather approaches. It does the job perfectly.

Women's Plus Size Intricate Damask Short Sleeve Maxi Dress
Women's Plus Size Intricate Damask Short Sleeve Maxi Dress
Offered by ELEGANT4U

4.0 out of 5 stars I love the fabric and it fits well, April 30, 2016
All in all, it's exactly what I expected. I love the fabric and it fits well. Any flaws in that regard are on me, not the dress. :) My only complaint is that it smells terrible, like it was stored in a room where someone cooked spicy Indian food (which I love, but not on my clothes). I assume this will disappear when I let it air out for a while and if not then, when I wash it.

Tomatillo - 4 Plants - Husk Tomato, Jamberry, Husk Cherry, Mexican Tomato
Tomatillo - 4 Plants - Husk Tomato, Jamberry, Husk Cherry, Mexican Tomato

4.0 out of 5 stars I've had good luck with tomatillos in the past and really enjoy ..., April 28, 2016
I purchased these because I didn't plant enough tomatillo seedlings in my own little greenhouse this year and wanted a few more. I've had good luck with tomatillos in the past and really enjoy making salsa.

The plants I ordered arrived in a timely fashion--well before expected. That was a pleasant surprise. Though the leaves were a bit rumpled, the plants were carefully packaged and the soil still damp. My only complaint with them is that they are clearly root bound, which makes me wonder what conditions they were grown in and whether they're stunted or not (which happens sometimes). However, last year's tomatillos, which I purchased from a local farmer (I'd purchase the seed and he'd grown the plants in his greenhouse), were in worse shape when I got them and they grew to six feet tall and produced a huge crop.

I planted these deep and at an angle so that all but the leaves were buried, watered and mulched them. I'll report back in a week or so and change the rating according to their progress.

King Arthur Flour 100%s Organic Unbleached White Whole Wheat Flour, 5 Pound
King Arthur Flour 100%s Organic Unbleached White Whole Wheat Flour, 5 Pound
Price: $7.91

5.0 out of 5 stars ... this flour (combined with all purpose flour) yields a nice loaf., April 27, 2016
I bake bread on a weekly basis and this flour (combined with all purpose flour) yields a nice loaf.

Bekith Silicone Pot Holder, Trivet Mat,jar Opener,spoon Rest and Garlic Peeler (Set of 4) Non Slip, Flexible, Durable, Dishwasher Safe, Heat Resistant Hot Pads
Offered by Bekith Home
Price: $9.97
2 used & new from $8.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, love, April 27, 2016
Love, love, love these! My cloth pot holders were always in the laundry when I needed them. These can be wiped off or run through the dishwasher. Very handy.

Celestial Seasonings Green Tea -- 12 K-Cups
Celestial Seasonings Green Tea -- 12 K-Cups
Offered by Shop the Deals
Price: $13.50
11 used & new from $12.00

5.0 out of 5 stars These are great! I buy them for my youngest who prefers ..., April 27, 2016
These are great! I buy them for my youngest who prefers tea to coffee. He often drinks them in the morning before heading off to school. The price is right and the flavor is fine.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7