Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now
Profile for T. B. Reidhead > Reviews

Browse

T. B. Reidhead's Profile

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

T. B. Reidhead RSS Feed

Vintage Straight Razor For Men - Shave Like A Man With A Stainless Steel Straight Edge Razor - Reduce Ingrown Hairs Razor Bumps And Burns - Includes 5 Shark Super Stainless Blades

1.0 out of 5 stars Notice anything odd about the 4 & 5 star reviews? Very few verified purchasers!!! BEWARE - cheap Chinese throw-away!, November 27, 2015
Horrible product! Very cheaply made, hand-ground (poorly). Hollow, lightweight body with very awkward blade retention device. You'll be very lucky not to cut yourself just removing/inserting blades.

I shave exclusively with straight razors and safety razors. Trust me when I say you will not be happy with this razor - especially if you are a beginner. The light weight makes it much more difficult for new users than a standard. hollow-ground straight razor. If you are serious about going old-school and switching to a cut-throat razor, do some research first.

NewAir WCD-210BK Hot and Cold Water Dispenser, Black
NewAir WCD-210BK Hot and Cold Water Dispenser, Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Corporate greed at its finest!, May 8, 2015
I should point out up front that I've adopted an oft used purchase strategy for Amazon in which anything over a four star rating and 50-plus reviews is generally a safe bet. I'm sorry to say I was very disappointed with this one (when I purchased on 4/20/15, this item had a four-plus star rating with over 80 reviews).

Upon receipt of the unit, packaging seemed adequate and item appeared to be in fine shape. Build quality a little on the cheap side, but about what I expected. Unit sat about six inches lower than I expected and lining up your chosen water receptacle with the hot and cold dispenser spouts took a little more bending than I would have liked, but I'm okay with that.

My main gripe with the unit is that the cold water is not cold - It's cool, but not cold. I like to grab a glass or bottle, put it under the spout and spill forth cold goodness that refreshes me without the need of adding ice. So I bought a device that would do that for me - or so I thought. The manufacturer claims the cold temperature ranges from 41°-50°. My average cold water temperature out of the spout was over 53°. My cold water from the fridge is 44° - nice and cold to my taste*. Thirteen other reviewers commented on the lack of coldness - including five people that gave it five stars!

In my somewhat limited research of this item, I found a users manual on the company website that included the following information:

"TEMPERATURE ADJUSTMENT
To adjust the water temperature on the unit, locate the white plug on the left side of the unit. Remove the
plug to expose an area where you can use a flat tip to adjust the water temperature for both hot and cold."

It's still there if you care to look at it (as of 5/8/2015).

Imagine my surprise when no such method of adjustment could be found. I contacted NewAir customer service via email, carefully explaining my dilemma and received a response in a day or two apologizing for my inconvenience and asking for my proof of purchase so they could authorize a return for repair of the item - at my expense, of course - with no mention where I might find the missing temperature adjustment screws. After another email, I was finally given the information that the cold water thermostat adjustment is under a sticker, between the hot and cold on/off switches on the back, which reads "DO NOT ADJUST". Apparently, if you want your water within the temperature range specified by the manufacturer, it voids the warranty.

The bottom line here is that, once again, an American company has cheaped-out on a marginally spec'ed Chinese manufactured item to maximize their margins. The cooling system is by far the most expensive part of these water coolers: compressor, condenser coil, pressure switch, evaporator, refrigerant etc., so that's the logical place to save the most manufacturing cost - at the consumer's expense. So basically, I can't have cold water that I paid my hard-earned money for because some a**hat business owner in California has zero conscience and wants a new Ferrari. Welcome to the new global economy, folks!

*as a pertinent footnote regarding the refrigerator I cool my water in: it's a Philco unit built in the 50's that my parents bought second-hand before I was born. It has one sliding switch that says "on" and "off". In the 25 years I've owned it, I've replaced the light bulb twice, had a new piece of tempered glass cut to replace one that was broken accidentally, and repaired the latch for the cantilever door handle mechanism after it came loose after rough handling - by three generations of kids. That's it - its complete repair history. The local power company offers $50 for old appliances if you turn them in so you can buy newer, more modern and efficient models... Not on your life.

AmazonBasics Mid-Back Office Chair
AmazonBasics Mid-Back Office Chair
Price: $69.99
19 used & new from $62.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic office chair for the price., May 1, 2015
About what I expected, although a little small for my frame. I'm 6', 180 lbs and if I sit up straight in this chair, I have to sort of slouch my shoulders to get my arms on the arm rests comfortably. For me, it would be ideal if this chair were about 5% larger overall. I would say that for most women, and men of a slighter stature than I, this chair would be a very good fit.

Having said that, the quality is good for the price: screw holes all lined up and none felt as if they were on the verge of stripping. Lift cylinder and tilt mechanism feel sturdy and work well. Base and casters feel solid and roll well. Padding, while not exactly luxuriant, is sufficient and functional for day to day computer or desk chores, but I'm not sure I'd want to sit in it for eight hour days. Although honestly, I don't think I could sit in any chair comfortably for eight hours a day. Upholstery is good but not great - seams are not quite symmetrical and I'm sure leather is paper thin, but it will have to do until my name is on the bosses door in gold letters and I have my very own cavernous top grain leather chair rolled up behind my mahogany desk, feet propped up with a cigar in one hand and a scotch as old as me in the other... but I digress.

All in all a good value. I'll update if it falls apart in two weeks though.

Celestron 44104 500x Power Advanced Biological Microscope
Celestron 44104 500x Power Advanced Biological Microscope
Price: $113.99
21 used & new from $95.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the money..., August 11, 2009
First of all, let me reassure all of you that are wary of this microscope because of the reviews stating the light gets hot - they seem to have fixed this issue! I'm not sure what they were like before but this version uses a separate power supply that supplies a low DC voltage to the illuminator. Mine has been on for an hour and all parts are cool to the touch.

The rest of this microscope is as others have described: the eyepiece tube does have a few perma-specs that need to be cleaned out and eye relief leaves something to be desired. I was able to obtain a solid 100% field of view but you can expect your eyelashes to be touching the eyepiece on a regular basis. I don't see any reason you couldn't upgrade to better eyepieces if this is a concern to you.

All in all, even after reading the other reviews, I have to say I was still pleasantly surprised at the quality and solid feel of this microscope. All the knobs and dials provide nice feedback and proper resistance to hold adjusted positions. The stage is nice and large and has nicely marked millimeter scales. The base is sturdy and the arm reclines with just the right amount of tension to where it's not too difficult to maneuver yet holds in place nicely. Lens quality seems quite good for this price range. As with any optics, at higher resolutions the specimen gets slightly darker but even with the 40x objective, the entire field of view is nice and clear from edge to edge.

I would highly recommend this microscope to anyone looking for a high quality and reasonably priced student or hobby level microscope. The included slides are a nice bonus to give you something to look at when it arrives.

Beginning PHP 5 and MySQL: From Novice to Professional
Beginning PHP 5 and MySQL: From Novice to Professional
by W Jason Gilmore
65 used & new from $0.47

3.0 out of 5 stars Word 'Beginning' in the title is misleading, August 21, 2004
If you are looking for a comprehensive text on PHP and do NOT have a programming background, you may want to start somewhere other than this volume. It is definitely NOT geared toward the rank amateur. I got this book to learn PHP and more specifically to help me integrate forms better into my Web pages. Sadly, 'Chapter 11: Forms and Navigational Clues' has only about ten pages of PHP as it relates to forms and half of that is semi-useful scripting examples. I'm sure this book is a fantastic reference if you are already familiar with programming but if you are a PHP novice, like I am, this book is not where you want to start.