Profile for W. E. Hopkins > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

W. E. Hopkins "film and music buff" RSS Feed (Fernandina Beach, FL, USA)

Big Agnes Seedhouse 2 - Two-Person Tent
Big Agnes Seedhouse 2 - Two-Person Tent

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly different than described, March 11, 2011
I ordered this tent based on an extensive search of midweight backpacking tents suitable for heavy weather and muggy conditions, but light enough for backpacking and modular (with the fast-fly setup approach) for camping in climates less storm-and-bug plagued. The tent meets all my requirements, is easy to set up and take down, and was a reasonable price.

However, on initial setup I did note several differences from the tent described here and on the Big Agnes website. First and most noticeable, the rainfly is a bright yellow rather than the neutral grey shown here. Secondly there are two additional flaps on the main tent which I initially couldn't figure out.. but the instruction sheet in the main stuff sack explained it:

The tent you have purchased is sold exclusively by a limited number of Big Agnes, Inc. dealers and is not included in our regular product line. it is not featured on BigAgnes.com but information will be available directly from the store where you purchased.

The tent is actually named the seedhouse with cross-over pole 2. It has an additional setup pole in the center which provides additional structure, but probably adds a few ounces of additional weight. If you're looking to save every possibly ounce, you'll probably want to save up for a lighter tent anyway. The tarptent series or possibly the superlight version of the seedhouse tent would be good options.

Sit Down & Listen To: The Live Theater Recordings
Sit Down & Listen To: The Live Theater Recordings

5.0 out of 5 stars for the fans, August 22, 2004
I'm not entirely sure where to begin, but let's just say that I felt I had to review this to give it a fair cop. I've listened to Hooverphonic (and plenty of other triphop artists) for a long time.

When I got this I didn't realize what it was -- an acoustics album of old hooverphonic work. Given that triphop is largely electronica with soul themes and vocals, I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it.

However, after only one listen I was in love. The pianos and strings versions of classic hooverphonic songs by either vocalist are touching and heartfelt, to be trite. I couldn't believe my ears at the new versions of 'Eden' (off the blue wonder power milk) and 'Vinegar and Salt' (off the magnificent tree) performed with so much passion.

I don't know if I'd recommend this to a new hooverphonic listener; not because it's hard to follow, but because it won't prepare to the upbeat tempos and synthesizer backings of the rest of their work.

When all is said and done I wish I could rate it higher.