Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale
Profile for smart shopper > Reviews

Browse

smart shopper's Profile

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

smart shopper "smart shopper" RSS Feed (usa)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Braun Series 3-340s Wet & Dry Electric Shaver, Electric Men's Razor, Razors, Shavers
Price: $67.96
27 used & new from $44.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive-Retuned the Panasonic ES8249, June 12, 2012
I originally purchased the highly rated Panasonic Vortex ES8249. The Panasonic has 4 blades and is extremely well built. It also comes with an automatic cleaning station. Why did I end up returning it and keeping the Braun instead? The Panasonic does provide a very close shave however I found that I have to go over certain areas several times to accomplish a close shave. The Braun has only 3 blades however I was able to get a closer and faster shave with the Braun with just 1-2 passes. I have been able to get a razor close shave with the Braun within 3 minutes. I found the shave to actually be more precise and closer than the Panasonic. The Panasonic would take me over 5 minutes. The build quality of the Braun is excellent. It is built like a tank and very comfortable to hold. It has a rubber liner that makes holding it very secure and comfortable. It is actually much quieter than the Panasonic. The Panasonic has a very loud high pitched sound....similar to a hair trim clipper that barbers use. The one complaint that I do have is that Braun should have included a protective cover for the blades. It does come with a protective travel case however a guard is a must to protect the most delicate part of the shaver which is the foils. The price, performance, build quality and low cost of maintenance makes this an excellent value. The replacement blade/foil runs around $20 compared to $50 for the Panasonic.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2015 8:49 AM PDT

Sony VAIO SE1 Series VPCSE13FX/S 15.5-Inch Laptop (Platinum Silver)
Sony VAIO SE1 Series VPCSE13FX/S 15.5-Inch Laptop (Platinum Silver)

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs Improvement, May 25, 2012
I purchased this laptop via Amazon Warehouse. Amazon listed it as "used/like new". When I received the laptop, it was used however it had refurbished stickers on the bottom panel and the box. Amazon misrepresented the item as being used instead of refurbished. The concern with this is that being refurbished, it hurts resale value and does not have the OEM warranty. As for the condition of the laptop, it was actually in very good condition. There was no damage or wear. The reason why I gave this laptop 2 stars is due to the following: excessively noisy fan. The fan tends to run near full speed when the CPU is just over 30% use. I have had several laptops over the years but never had one as noisy as this one. At full speed, the noise level is totally unacceptable. It sounds like a hair dryer and can be heard loudly across a room. I updated the BIOS and hardware drivers that control the fan however the problem still persists. The CD drive is rattling when in use. It is also very loud. The built-in speakers put out very poor sound. It sounds tiny and has no range. Even after adjusting the equalizer as best as possible, the sound quality is poor. I have owned budget $300 laptops that have far superior speaker sound quality. As for the good stuff: excellent screen. The screen is true full HD (1080P). This is as good as it gets on a laptop screen. The keyboard back-lighting is really bright. The overall ergonomics and design of the laptop is excellent. The case is made of aluminum which makes it really light-weight. This is one of the lightest 15" laptops on the market (barely over 4 pounds). Currently the lighest 15" is the Samsung Series 9 however that one has no CD/DVD drive and has lower resolution. Overall, this would have been probably one of the best laptops on the market but the fan and CD/DVD drive issue is what hurts it. Sony should have addressed this at time of pre-production.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2012 9:52 PM PDT

Toshiba Portege Z835-P360 13.3-Inch Ultrabook (Silver)
Toshiba Portege Z835-P360 13.3-Inch Ultrabook (Silver)

2.0 out of 5 stars Fragile, May 12, 2012
I purchased this laptop but ended up returning it. The screen has way too much flex. CNET actually has a video review where the reviewer was able to show how drastic the screen bends. The image quality of the screen is poor. Colors are dull and washed out, reminded me of a 90's laptop screen. The touchpad buttons are too firm. You have to press rather hard to make them respond. The keyboard backlight needs to be brighter. I have had other backlit keyboards that are much more brighter than this. My current Gateway MD7309u has far superior backlit keyboard. The laptop is extremely light which is good for travel however if you plan to have this thing resting on your lap while using it, it does not stay in place because of the bottom metal cover not having any grip plus the light weight does not help either with keeping it in place. Due to the weight of this thing, Toshiba should have added something to the bottom cover to keep it secure and from moving all over the place. This is not an issue if it is used on a desk. The one good thing about this laptop is that it is rather fast however it is not really due to the processor since an i3 is bottom of the pack but the performance comes from the SSD. I replaced the HDD on my Gateway about a year ago with an SSD and it made a drastic difference with the performance. It boots to Windows 7 in less than 15 seconds. If you are considering this laptop, go with the higher rated ultrabooks like the HP Folio or Samsungs.

Monster iClarityHD Bluetooth Wireless Speaker (Silver) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
22 used & new from $15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Absoultely Amazing!, March 30, 2012
I have owned several bluetooth wireless speakers and most of them ended up being returned due to having horrible sound. I was seriously doubting that this speaker would sound as good as the reviews state. When I received the speaker, I was surprised to see how small it is. It slightly larger than a desktop mouse. When I paired the speaker to my Droid phone and began to play music, I was in shock to hear the quality of the sound coming from such a small speaker. I have owned speakers several times the size of this speaker that put out only 1/2 the volume and quality. The speaker does produce loud, clear and high quality sound to fill the room. It actually puts out bass that you can feel which really surprised me. It is obvious that Monster did not put their name on this product if it did not live up to the quality they are known for. They had to put in a lot of time and money to develop a product like this one that far exceeds and surprises a customers expectations. Monster did an outstanding job on this one.

Lenovo IdeaPad K1 130422U 10-Inch Tablet (Black)
Lenovo IdeaPad K1 130422U 10-Inch Tablet (Black)
4 used & new from $130.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Unstable, February 5, 2012
I purchased with the hopes that the negative reviews were not all true however I was proven wrong. After updating the tablet to the most recent updates available, I continued to have issues with the tablet not waking up from sleep. I would have to hold the power button down for 5-10 seconds, the screen would flash and then the screen would go black. The unit would not wake up forcing me to do a full shut down. After researching the web to see if it was just my unit, apparently, this is a widely known issue with this model that Lenovo has not addressed since the time it came out. Along with the sleep issue, I have had crashes and restarts. The touchscreen needs to be more sensitive. I had several instances where I had to keep on pressing on the screen to get it to respond. I was able to purchase this below $300 however it is not worth even at $100 if it is not stable. One other item that this unit does not have is gorilla glass like the Samsung and Motorola's have. This means if you have this unit, you need to get a scratch protector on the screen. I really hoped that this would have been an excellent purchase because the specs and price are awesome but not worth it if if cannot even be used.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2012 10:28 AM PST

Royal RL170MX 17-Sheet Heavy Duty Cross-Cut Shredder with Auto Start/Stop and Auto Reverse
Offered by Acedepot
Price: $175.95
6 used & new from $174.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs Improvement, September 19, 2011
Quality build is poor. The trash bin unit is thin plastic. There is gaps in the joints. The feeder sensor needs to be more sensitive. I sometimes have to move papers back and forth for the feeder sensor to activate. The lights are too much. There is lights on the feeder, display, warning sign and power button. They are bright and actually light up a room at night if the room light is off. The motor is noisy and slow. The motor slows down drastically when you try to shred more than 5 pieces of paper. Compared to my previous shredder that I had for years (Fellowes DM12C) which is no longer available, this Royal is a big disappointed. My previous one was fast, would easily take more paper than rated without slowing down, quiet and had excellent build quality. I am going to return the Royal and going to order a current Fellowes model.

Sony SRSBT100 Bluetooth Stereo Speakers (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Sony SRSBT100 Bluetooth Stereo Speakers (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Lots Deals 4 U
Price: $189.95
2 used & new from $129.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Sounding Than Logitech Z515 and Creative D100, May 19, 2011
I originally purchased the Logitech Z515. The Z515 could not handle sound too well especially with higher volume setting. Virtually no bass with the Z515. Decided to get the Creative D100 instead. The D100 sounded a lot better than the Z515 but I kept on having disconnection issues. I did not have this issue with the Z515. I have read numerous positive reviews about the Sony BT100. I decided to purchase the BT100 in order to replace the D100. I have been amazed by the sound quality. It is significantly better than both the Z515 and D100. It puts out clear sound with good amount of bass. It pretty much has been able to handle anything I have thrown at it with no problem. The sound fills the room similar to some Bose units. It is a much larger speaker than both other speakers. I was able to connect in a few seconds to my Droid X and also my laptop. It has not had any connection issues at all. This speaker is not made to be a portable speaker like the Z515 and D100. There is no battery option like the D100 or rechargeable battery like the Z515. This speaker is more of a shelf speaker since it is larger in size and has no portability features. If you are looking for a portable bluetooth speaker, I suggest the D100. If you do not need a portable speaker but want excellent sound with bluetooth connection, this is probably one of the best sounding bluetooth speakers on the market.

Asus Dual-Band Wireless-N600 Gigabit Router (RT-N56U)
Asus Dual-Band Wireless-N600 Gigabit Router (RT-N56U)
Price: $77.17
153 used & new from $33.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Cisco E4200 and Netgear WNDR3700, February 25, 2011
I recently purchased two other routers before purchasing this one to replace an older 2.4ghz router. The first router I purchased was the newly released Cisco Linksys E4200. I ended up returning it because I barely had a signal downstairs and slow output. My previous router usually had around 70%-80% signal downstairs however the E4200 would quickly lose signal the farther I moved away from the router. I purchased as a replacement the highly rated Netgear WNDR3700. This router had much better signal however it would not work with my external hard drive. Per review of online comments and Netgear's own website, the 3700 has issues being compatible with numerous external hard drives. Netgear has posted on their website about a dozen compatible hard drives that work with the 3700. I had the choice to either keep the 3700 and fork out another $50-$100 on a new external hard drive that would work or purchase another router with similar features. I ran across the Asus at my local electronic store. I never heard of this model before since it is a new release. Before I decided to purchase it, I went home and read the limited reviews I could find on it. Both expert and consumer reviews were positive. I ended up purchasing the Asus. I was completely blown away by the features and performance of this router. I have over 90% signal downstairs. My laptop is maintaining 230-270mbps connection when I am downstairs (about 30 feet away from router which is upstairs) which was impossible with both the E4200 and 3700. The user interface provides significant amount more custom options than both the Netgear and Cisco. My external HDD (Seagate) was instantly recognized by the router. I also found the wired connection runs smoother and faster than the 3700. The 3700 had a delay at times loading pages. Overall this is in my opinion the best performing router that I have ever owned. Currently the WNDR3700 is considered the best but it has been out for a while now. The Cisco E4200 claims to be the best however I disagree with this due to real hands-on experience with it. There is a good amount of owner complaints already being posted about the E4200 which is similar to issues that I also encountered. The only bad thing I found with this unit is that it does not allow wall mount option. For the price, performance and features, this is an excellent value and steal.
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 23, 2011 1:57 PM PDT

Brother HL-2240 Laser Printer
Brother HL-2240 Laser Printer
Offered by Amazing-Mart(Tax-free)
Price: $199.99
39 used & new from $70.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Go with different model...., November 27, 2010
I purchased this printer as an additional laser printer. I also own the Brother HL-2140 which is highly rated. I ended up returning this printer and will get another HL-2140. This printer is very noisy. The fan stays on for almost 1/2 hour after the last document is printed. The fan on the HL-2140 would turn off after a minute or two after the last document is printed. The fan can be heard across the room and is too much if you sit near the printer. This printer comes with a toner starter cartridge which only prints 700 pages. The higher model HL-2270DW has a 1200 page toner cartridge. This model also lacks automatic duplex which the HL-2270DW offers. Currently there are no aftermarket companies making toner for this model since it is a newer model. The HL-2140 has several companies making toner that you can get below $20 for 2,000+ page capacity. The toner on this model will run you around $40-$50 for the same capacity. If you are considering purchasing this model, I strongly suggest that you go with the HL-2140 or HL-2170. If you prefer the looks of the HL-2240, then go with the HL-2270DW which has wireless and ethernet connections, larger capacity starter cartridge and automatic duplex.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 18, 2014 4:14 PM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vacuum, July 28, 2010
I originally purchased the highest rated vacuum cleaner currently on the market: Hoover UH30010com however I ended up returning it. The UH30010 is an excellent vacuum however it lacks a roller brush switch. My house consists of 50% hardwood / 50% carpet. I purchased the UH70210 instead because of the features: no loss of suction, cord rewind (hard to find feature on uprights), brush roller switch, folding handle, its lightweight, easy to empty canister and lifetime filter. I used this vacuum on the same day that I vacuumed with the UH30010. I was not expecting it to pick up anything. I was shocked to see the container get full. The suction is excellent and picks up anything it encounters. As for the bad stuff: the cord tends to get stuck at times when being extracted. You sometimes have to pull hard on the cord to break it lose. The light could be brighter. The dirt container is on the small side and fills up quick. The emission odor it puts out is not clean. It puts out a weird plastic smell. I was fortunate enough to get it on sale being priced below one hundred at my local membership club store. For the price, features and performance, it is a great buy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3