ARRAY(0x9dd9360c)

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

B. Kim RSS Feed (Los Altos Hills, CA)

Hoover MaxExtract All-Terrain Carpet Cleaner, F7452900PC
Hoover MaxExtract All-Terrain Carpet Cleaner, F7452900PC
Price: $229.00
19 used & new from $192.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent carpet cleaner, December 12, 2011
I just bought it and used it to clean 3 rooms and a living room.
I used Rug Doctor rental model from Safeway before, but I haven't used any other Hoover or Bissel models and I cannot compare it against them.

Compared to Rug Doctor:
- Rug Doctor is stronger and cleans a little bit better, I think. It has bigger suction power to get the dirt and water better than Hoover. But, I felt that Hoover's SpinScrub brushes are better than Rug Doctor's brushes in terms of getting the dirt off the carpet. Hoover just needs more repetition to get the dirt/water sucked into the machine, since it's power is less.
- The water tanks are smaller for Hoover and it really requires you to go back and forth. Rug Doctor is about 3x larger, if I remember correctly.
- Hoover's automatic detergent mixing and rinse/wash modes are really convenient. You don't need a big bucket to mix the detergent every time you fill up the tank, which was the case with Rug Doctor and it was painfully cumbersome. You can easily control the amount of detergent as well. Also, easy to use 2x or 3x concerntrate, because you have a separate bottle for detergent. It would have been great if the detergent bottle had a measuring grid, such that it's easy to control the amount correctly for mixing. Also, you can choose not to use the detergent with a switch, if you want to rinse it with water only.
- Both were quite heavy to do any cleaning for the stairs. Hoover came with some accessories with hose for the stairs, but I did not bother to use them yet, since I wasn't sure how strong they will be. Rug doctor was very heavey to use it, but it was okay to do some stair cleaning. (for Hoover, the spin scrubs did not spin when the handle is in upright position and it was difficult to use it on the stairs)

Overall, the result with Hoover was equivalent to Rug Doctor's with some repetition of the strokes and I'm very much satisfied with it.

The thing that I liked the most with Hoover (much more than Rug Doctor rental unit) is how easy it was to clean the nozzle and brushes after using it. The main problem with the rental Rug Doctor was all the dirts and disgusting stuff it came with when I first rented it. Of course, I tried to clean them up before using it (yukky!), but I was never able to clean them well and I was wondering if the carpet was going to get dirtier or cleaner when I used it... Even though it looked cleaner afterall, there were still lingering thoughts on all the disgusting stuff came with. But, for Hoover, I was able to clean them thoroughly very easily by taking them apart and it will be clean as new when I'm using it next time.

I strongly recommend Hoover compared to renting one from one of the stores.

By the way, I could not find Hoover detergent from nearby stores. So, I ended up using the sample Hoover detergent the unit came with, Bissel 3x concentrate (diluted with water in the detergent bottle) and Rug Doctor - Anti-Allergen version - 2x concentrate (diluted). All of them worked well with the cleaner without much bubbles formed. Both Bissel and Hoover detergents were taking out the dirts well, but the Rud Doctor one was noticeably worse. Not sure if it was because it's the anti-allergen version or not. I had to mix it with a lot less water than the detergent, even though it was 2x concentrate. Bissel smelled better than the other two though. (and more expensive) Used about 2 gallons of the detergents in total (diluted amount) for ~1800 square feet area (yes, it was dirty before I did clean it up).

Currently, there is a sale going on @ hoover.com with 25% for four 1 gallon detergents with free shipping and I ordered 4 of them for next year!

Antennas Direct STM-715 30-Inch Antenna J-Mount
Antennas Direct STM-715 30-Inch Antenna J-Mount
Price: $29.77
8 used & new from $18.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great with CLEAR STREAM 5 HDTV (VHF/UHF) Antenna, August 29, 2010
It works very well with CLEAR STREAM 5 HDTV (VHF/UHF) Antenna.
It would have been great if there are more flexible angle selection, but otherwise, it works fine.

Antennas Direct C5 ClearStream 5 High Gain Digital VHF Antenna
Antennas Direct C5 ClearStream 5 High Gain Digital VHF Antenna
Price: $101.74
22 used & new from $86.97

5.0 out of 5 stars ClearStream5 - Excellent reception for both VHF and UHF, August 29, 2010
I cannot be happier with this antenna.
Upon a lot of research on the web, I decided to switch from DirecTV to off-the-air antenna and I chose this product.

I live in a hilly place in San Francisco Bay Area (Los Altos Hills) from ~35 miles from the transmission tower in San Francisco. Thankfully, my home is facing north which is the desired direction to the transmission tower.

I was worried that if it would receive only the VHF channels (ABC and NBC in our area), but it receives most of the UHF channels with great quality.

Here is the list of channels that I'm getting:
(the only channels that it cannot receive at my place is 14.1 and 14.2)

2.1 KTVU - HD
65.3 IONLife
66.1 KFSF - HD
66.2 KDTV
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2014 1:33 PM PST

Karcher 2.640-852.0 Pressure Washer 50-Foot Extension/Replacement Hose (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by GizmosForLife
Price: $69.78
7 used & new from $69.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well with Karcher G-3050OH, May 17, 2009
I purchased this 50-ft hose from PRI Industries, Inc through Amazon.
There were some reviews that made me worried if it would fit with my
Karcher G-3050 OH pressure washer (3000PSI) that I recently purchased
at Costco.

It turned out that it's working perfectly. As described, it has two
female ends with a male-male adapter.

It can replace the original 25-ft female-female hose without the adapter
or it can extend it with the adapter.

It seems to be more well constructed hose than the original hose and
I am very happy with it. I highly recommend it. Its price ($54.99)
cannot disappoint you, if you have the same model of the pressure
washer that I have.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 3, 2010 10:13 AM PDT

Akuzuki Top Quality 2-in-1 Pneumatic Hardwood Floor Flooring Air Cleat Nailers and Stapler

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid floor nailer, February 19, 2008
I'm doing a hardwood flooring with 5/8" thick mahogany solid wood on a
couple of rooms. Because the rooms are not flat (both have a couple of
steps) it took 8 days to finish the flooring and renting was as expensive
as buying one. (checked HomeDepot $35/day and another rental company $30/day)

It looks like Porter-Cable FCN200 seems to be very popular, but over $300
made me hesitant. I seriously considered Bostitch MFN200 Manual Flooring
Cleat Nailer, but after a lot of questions to Bostitch and a couple of
dealers, I found out that it can be used only fo 3/4" thick floorings.

So, I went with this pneumatic floor nailer.

I ordered the one that can be used for cleat nails only, but what I
received was for both cleat nails as well as staples, which was a nice
surprise. People said cleat nails would be more strong in terms of holding
the panels to the sub-floor and I ordered bostitch nails at amazon.

Shipping was pretty quick - delivered in 2 days from the order - and the
tools is very solid. 3-4 panels had the nails bent between the panel and
sub floor, maybe because the nailer was not placed correctly. Otherwise,
it worked pretty well.

It has several pad that can be used for different thickness of the
floorings, which was really good for me.

Overall, at this price, this cannot go wrong at all and much better
solution than renting one.