Profile for JEFFREY M. HUNTER > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

JEFFREY M. HUNTER "Jeffrey M. Hunter" RSS Feed (Butler, PA)

Page: 1 | 2
8-Bit Rose
8-Bit Rose
Offered by Jaygo Mart
Price: $17.88
12 used & new from $13.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Geek Love!, June 5, 2013
This review is from: 8-Bit Rose (Toy)
Let your geek flag fly by giving the classic single red rose as a token of your love and affection.

Sanrio My Melody Hard iPhone 5 Case (Floral)
Sanrio My Melody Hard iPhone 5 Case (Floral)
17 used & new from $23.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Cuteness!, June 5, 2013
Looks even better in person. Fit my iPhone 5 perfectly. I wish they had the same design for my iPad mini.

Rosette Art: Instructions for Beautiful Rosettes to Share, Wear, and Display
Rosette Art: Instructions for Beautiful Rosettes to Share, Wear, and Display
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for gifts!, June 5, 2013
What can I say....if you have been on her blog you already know what a creative genius Cathe Holden has shared with the world. I love this book. I plan on using it often.

Rm-08chczoxa Chevrolet Corvette Wireless Optical Mouse (Atomic Orange)
Rm-08chczoxa Chevrolet Corvette Wireless Optical Mouse (Atomic Orange)

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth and Accurate Mouse, January 16, 2009
We now have two Road Mice - the Camaro Highway Patrol and the Red Corvette. Both are really great quality and like I said in the title - smooth and accurate. I had to contact customer support regarding the Camaro two weeks ago when I received it. Very professional and had an answer that day. Easy setup, put in the batteries to the mouse and plug the receiver into your USB port. Finally, pair the devices by hitting the button on the receiver and then the button on the car. Within a few seconds the mouse is ready. My Son is a car fanatic and this was a nice surprise for him. Clicking the left/right mouse will light up the left/right headlights. This feature can be turned off to conserve batteries but takes away from the fun. Altogether, I am very satisfied with my purchase.

Wireless Mouse - Camaro Highway Patrol
Wireless Mouse - Camaro Highway Patrol

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth and Accurate Mouse, January 16, 2009
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 18, 2009 12:54 PM PDT

Plantronics UPCALISTO Bluetooth Headset
Plantronics UPCALISTO Bluetooth Headset
2 used & new from $139.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone I have ever owned!, July 25, 2008
The title says it all. The sound quality is amazingly clear and the headpiece fits perfectly. I work from home and this phone has been one of the best additions to my office in a long time. I can wear the headpiece all day without problems. The phone also comes with a fantastic speaker phone on the handset. The menus on the phone are highly intuitive and easy to navigate.

I was able to effortlessly synchronize my Outlook contacts with the included software. I have over 400 Outlook contacts and the phone only holds 200. During the synch process, I was able to select only those entries that I needed (which only came out to 98 contacts!). When I want to add a name, I use the Outlook Phonebook Utility on my laptop and save it (synch) to the phone.

Battery life has not been an issue. I have been able to use it for several days without returning it to the base for a charge.

I had to contact customer service with a question on "Registering the handset to the Base". Everything was working out of the box, however, I wanted to know how to manually register (the manual was not very clear on this). The customer service representative was able to answer my question in minutes. Great customer support.

I only wish Plantronics had a two-line version of this phone. The price tag is on the high end ($249.00); however this phone has been worth every penny. I highly recommend this phone.

Oracle Database 10g Real Application Clusters Handbook (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g Real Application Clusters Handbook (Oracle Press)
by K. Gopalakrishnan
Price: $34.37
55 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely well written with tremendous in-depth coverage of RAC internals, April 23, 2007
By far, the best book I have read on the subject of Oracle10g RAC. Given the success of Gopalakrishnan as coauthor of the book "Oracle Wait Interface: A Practical Guide to Performance Diagnostics & Tuning", I was eager to see his work on a subject as involved as Oracle10g RAC. I am happy to say that Gopal did an outstanding and thorough job! Every chapter of this book is clear and well written with accurate demonstrations and valuable illustrations. This book is for both beginners as well as seasoned Oracle professions.

What I found most useful was the in-depth coverage of Cache Fusion and Global Resource Directory as well as a thorough troubleshooting section. The author also provides extensive coverage on installation and architecture concerns, backup and recovery in RAC, performance monitoring, workload balancing and distribution, connection management, as well as application development and extensions to the RAC architecture. Oracle's Automatic Storage Management (ASM) feature is fully explained as well as many other basic and advanced administration topics.

The only area of improvement I would suggest is greater coverage on backing up and recovering the two key Oracle Clusterware shared components: the Voting Disk and the Oracle Cluster Registry File. Although the book does contain information pertaining to backing up and recovering these resources, I felt that these two files are critical enough to the operation of Oracle Clusterware that a full working example would be helpful. Possibly a workshop that fully details how to recover a voting disk and cluster registry file after the loss of both files.

I would highly recommend this book to DBA's and Developers tasked with working in an Oracle10g RAC environment. You will not be disappointment!

Oracle Utilities: Using Hidden Programs, Import/Export, SQL*Loader, Oradebug, Dbverify, Tkprof and More (Oracle In-Focus series)
by Dave Moore
28 used & new from $0.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reference guide for DBAs and Developers, July 20, 2006
Whether you are new to Oracle or a seasoned veteran, Moore's book provides insight into many useful Oracle utilities. This book covers a lot of material in a well organized manner. Many of the noteworthy topics are backed by effective examples (code / scripts) that the DBA/Developer can immediately start using. I felt there was good coverage on PL/SQL packages like dbms_alert, dbms_smtp, and dbms_profiler as well as the more popular utilities like SQL*Loader and Import/Export.

One concern with the book was the size of the font used in printing which I believe was far too large. The size of this book could have been reduced considerably using a smaller font.

I look forward to a second edition of this book from the author that covers newer utilities found in 10g.

Jeffrey M. Hunter, OCP

Sr. Database Administrator

----------------------------

Easy HTML-DB Oracle Application Express: Create Dynamic Web Pages with OAE (Easy Oracle Series)
by Michael Cunningham
Price: $32.55
36 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough and well organized with great examples, July 19, 2006
I am currently working on a project that requires Oracle Application Express (APEX) and was fortunate to have this book. Note that although the book's title indicates HTML-DB, it is based on the latest Oracle Application Express 2.0. The authors have done an exceptional job in providing great technical content along with useful examples.

The major topics on APEX are covered in an organized fashion with well thought-out and accurate examples that the reader can immediately start applying to their environment. Within no time at all, readers can have a fully functionally APEX environment setup and configured to start building applications!

When learning any new production, it is imperative to have a guide that can walk you through the basics of installation, setup and configuration. The book accomplishes this goal by providing in-depth steps that assume the reader has never seen APEX to having a secure and stable environment ready for creating their first web application in one easy to read chapter.

Before creating that first application, however, the authors provide the basics an administrator would need to know like creating and configuring workspaces and users. Although a short chapter, it contains invaluable information to better understanding how to work in the APEX environment. Finally, the reader is shown the power of the wizards in APEX and will have the opportunity to create their first fully functional web application.

By now, the reader should be comfortable working in the APEX framework. The remainder of the book continues by thoroughly explaining the Application Builder (where a developer will spend most of their time) along with creating forms and reports.

Note that this book is not a guide on simply how to use the wizards. Much of the book is dedicated to understanding the APEX framework and how to build high-quality custom web applications. Much attention is given to shared components, navigation, templates and application deployment along with useful troubleshooting tips. I would, however, have liked to seen much more on security (authorization and authentication). The authors did a wonderful job covering the important concepts of APEX and organized it in an easy to follow guide. I highly recommend this book.

Jeffrey M. Hunter, OCP
Sr. Database Administrator
[...]

Oracle JDeveloper 10g Handbook
Oracle JDeveloper 10g Handbook
by Paul Dorsey
Price: $46.37
61 used & new from $0.20

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book for learning and understanding Oracle10g JDeveloper, June 14, 2006
This latest edition for Oracle10g JDeveloper builds on the success of the previous 9i version. As with the previous version, each chapter is well organized with thorough and accurate examples. Well thought-out attention has been given to explaining Oracle's Application Development Framework (ADF). The authors also go into great depth in explaining how to use the newly improved modeling capabilities of 10g JDeveloper (both their strengths and weaknesses).

In short, this book as been well received by myself and colleagues I work with and would highly recommend it to anyone getting started in developing Oracle based applications with JDeveloper. I have found no better resource and tutorial for understanding ADF.

Regards,