Profile for Anthony L. Brown > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Anthony L. Brown RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
iRobot Roomba 770 Vacuum Cleaning Robot for Pets and Allergies
iRobot Roomba 770 Vacuum Cleaning Robot for Pets and Allergies
Price: Click here to see our price
38 used & new from $389.00

4.0 out of 5 stars I get very angry at my Roomba ! - but in the end its worth it, April 26, 2014
My Roomba 770 is on a mission: Seek and Destroy headphones.

I have lost about 7 sets of headphones (the small kind like those you would use when running at the gym). I use headphones alot because I play around alot with music, bass, electronic drums... all recorded by my macbook pro. I found out quickly that if there is a headphone wire touching the floor the Roomba will make a beeline for it and keep attacking the spot until it successfully tangles up the wire around its brush.

I try to remember to never leave my headphones in a dangerous spot, and I use the light towers to try to block off areas where alot of cables are typically found but the Roomba has a talent for approaching the light tower at an angle that allows it to push it out of the way. Plus, over the course of the year you will tend to slip up and in an early morning rush you won't notice the headphones that fell off the bed. It's been about 4 months since I lost my last set but its only a matter of time before the Roomba claims another victim.

The Roomba's secondary objective is to find a way to get stuck before returning to the home base. Maybe a small matt with an upturned corner, maybe part of a blanket touching the floor, it can be anything as long as it causes the Roomba some difficulty on the first pass the Roomba will circle back around and attack that spot with a vengeance doing its best to get stuck. Recently, it has found a way to knock the home base out of position and then push it to a conner so that doc'ing becomes impossible.

One change I notice in this version of the Roomba is that it's pattern of sweeping is hard to predict. I haven't made a dedicated study of it, but I have no intuition of what algorithm its running. All the previous Roomba's seemed to follow a logical pattern. But the 770 will start cleaning an area in a reasonable manor and then all the sudden accelerate off at a weird angle and go to some place far away. I can't predict what it will do at any given moment, unless there happens to be some headphones around, then I know exactly what the Roomba will do.

Despite my frustration, and yes I did kick the Roomba once, I feel that it's worth it because the Roomba makes a huge difference in the amount of dust in the air and on the floors. It helps alot with allergies. This version of the Roomba seems clean even better than its predecessors. But like all of them, I am having to replace parts, and no it's not because I kicked it.

I look forward to upgrading to the next model but will continue with this one for at least this year.

Atomic Accidents: A History of Nuclear Meltdowns and Disasters: From the Ozark Mountains to Fukushima
by James A. Mahaffey
Price: $22.18
58 used & new from $18.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A captivating collection of stories from a Nuclear insider, March 4, 2014
Imagine you read in the news about an incident at the local power plant. There is the story you read in the paper and then there is the inside story that you get from your friend who happens to be a member of the Dose Chemistry team at the plant. Reading this book is like listening to your friend recount all the interesting stories from the office.

Dymatize Nutrition - Creatine Micronized 1000 g. - 2.2 lbs.
Dymatize Nutrition - Creatine Micronized 1000 g. - 2.2 lbs.
Offered by ar-products
Price: $22.99
8 used & new from $17.95

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality Creatine, January 29, 2013
Works great. This is high quality creatine. Most creatine products I have tried work. I just prefer the micronized version that is provided by this product.

1992-2005 Haynes Repair Manual - Cadillac DeVille/Seville - #38032
1992-2005 Haynes Repair Manual - Cadillac DeVille/Seville - #38032

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a high gloss, color picture book. More like a news paper with unclear images., January 29, 2013
This would be a great tool and car learning guide. But the pictures are not that clear and the manual is more like a news paper than a nice manual. It's probably great for those who already know what they are doing and just need a quick reference. I wanted something more like the home depot project guide books with full color pictures and thick glossy pages.

Indus-Tool TT Toasty Toes Ergonomic Heated Footrest
Indus-Tool TT Toasty Toes Ergonomic Heated Footrest
Price: $38.90
21 used & new from $35.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, buy it., January 29, 2013
I was skeptical that the footrest would get warm enough to feel it through my shoes. But it works better than expected. It's a lifesaver. Before I got the footrest my feet would sometimes become so cold at work that it would be difficult to function. Now if I am in a different part of the office and my feet get cold I look forward to returning to my cube because the heated foot rest feels so good on cold feet. Also, I don't have to wear multiple layers of socks because I know keeping my feet warm is no longer a problem.

Other great features: it doesn't make any noise. It is safe (I have left it on for a week straight without any problems). It is inconspicuous. If my hands get cold I'll reach down and put them on the foot rest. Some people may find it too hot, but not me.

Alesis DM10X Kit Premium Six-Piece Professional Electronic Drum Set
Alesis DM10X Kit Premium Six-Piece Professional Electronic Drum Set
Price: Click here to see our price
19 used & new from $1,104.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds great, good price, not a toy, January 19, 2013
I have wanted to get electronic drums for many years but was unwilling to spend 3 grand or more on a Roland set or compromise and get one of the cheaper toy like sets. For me the DM10X is a perfect fit. I have had my DM10X for about a month and a half. Here is my current opinion on the components:

Sound Module:
The sound module is great. It's easy to change the "voice" of each drum/cymbal to whatever you want. Go crazy and trigger a bass drum sound from your hi-hat. On most of the drum sets I tweak the levels and don't use the default settings. Making adjustments is a piece of cake. Also, I have made recordings on my mac laptop using both a midi/usb interface and a straight line-in interface. Both work fine. I normally record using the midi interface. When playing recordings back in Garage band or Logic I just use one of the software provided kits. Eventually I will try out sending the midi events back to the sound module for playback.

Hi-Hat:
I was expecting that the hi-hat pedal action and corresponding sounds wouldn't come close to a real hi-hat. To my delight the pedal works great and the sounds are excellent. I can practice my favorite open/close hi-hat groves with no problem. The pedal may move around on you depending upon the floor surface. I used a small dumbbell to solve that.

Cymbals:
Excellent design. They feel great.

Bass Drum:
Based on other reviews I knew before I even ordered the set that the pads were pretty loud. I found that when playing the bass drum it sounded like I was hammering on a wood table. I live in an apartment so this could be an issue. Thus, I took a laptop "sleeve", filled it with a combo of hard and soft foam padding and strapped it to the bass drum. I also put a string through the zipper of the laptop sleeve and tied it to the bottom bar of the drum rack. This helps keep the sleeve in position. After that I adjusted the bass drum trigger sensitivity using the sound module. This works good. It was sort of fun experimenting with different ways to muffle the bass drum. I put a 20 lbs. dumbbell behind the bass drum to keep it from sliding away.

Snare and Tom's:
I like the feel of the heads. I didn't expect them to have the same feel as an acoustic set. I just wanted something that felt good and allowed me to enjoy playing and keep my chops up. I am satisfied. They are a little loud but not as bad as the bass drum. I didn't get any complaints from the neighbors after a couple of weeks of playing but I went ahead and ordered some SP "sound percussion" pads to put on top of the drums. I just got them in yesterday. They fit perfectly and now I feel more comfortable playing at 2:00am. I haven't needed to adjust the trigger sensitivity settings yet. Maybe if I start playing some classic snare solos like "Tornado" I will need to adjust the sensitivity or I will just remove the SP pad.

Looks:
Awesome! Doesn't look like a toy. Very professional. A work of art really.

Mac OS X Command Line Volume I:  25 pages of essential BSD Unix on Macintosh
Mac OS X Command Line Volume I: 25 pages of essential BSD Unix on Macintosh
Price: $3.75

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun few hours, February 13, 2012
I had a fun few hours going through this book and trying out the examples. I already knew some of the commands, but alot of the mac os specific ones I didn't. The author presents very nice examples that will be useful in my day to day work.

Lost on Planet China: One Man's Attempt to Understand the World's Most Mystifying Nation
by J. Maarten Troost
Price: $11.26
182 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book - especially the audible version, July 3, 2011
I enjoyed the audible version of this book. Much of what Troost's describes matches my own experience in China. I wish I could recount my trip with the same humor and wit.

Beginning Google Maps API 3 (Expert's Voice in Web Development)
Beginning Google Maps API 3 (Expert's Voice in Web Development)
by Gabriel Svennerberg
Price: $29.98
43 used & new from $18.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book - quick and easy, August 9, 2010
Thanks to the authors very clear writing and frequent use of small examples this book is a pleasure to read. Everything I wanted to know was covered. The online documentation of the google maps api 3 is pretty good, but I definitely found that using this book helped me get my project done alot faster. Even after I was done with my project, i went back and read through every page of this book, just because the author is easy to understand and the small examples are fun to follow.

Frozen: My Journey into the World of Cryonics, Deception, and Death
Frozen: My Journey into the World of Cryonics, Deception, and Death
by Larry Johnson
83 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for an occasional laugh, November 26, 2009
I listened to the audible version of this book. It was great for a few laughs and I enjoyed listening to it. However, the author only worked at Alcor for 7 months. It sounds like he was hired to help fix alot of the stuff he complains about. The book speaks worse about the author than it does of Alcor. Mr. Johnson was given a job and instead of doing it he spent his time taking notes for his expose. On balance maybe the book will do some good and Alcor will address some of the process issues mentioned by the author - that is assuming the issues really exist and are not just sensational figments of the author's imagination.

Page: 1 | 2