Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games
Profile for Carson McComas > Reviews

Browse

Carson McComas' Profile

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Carson McComas RSS Feed (Spokane, WA United States)

Allegiant (Divergent Trilogy, Book 3)
Allegiant (Divergent Trilogy, Book 3)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book of the three, bestows meaning and depth, February 18, 2014
Good heavens there is a lot of passion behind some of these 1 star reviews. That alone should tell you something. I'd invite those who hated this book to give it another read in 10 years after they've had more life experience.

I only saw the poor reviews on this book after I had already read the first two and I waited the whole book to be disappointed. I never was. In fact the entire time I was reading the book I said "I can't believe this got poor reviews!"

This book was beautiful. The first two books were fun to read, and an enjoyable ride - this third one transcends them and bestows meaning. It was riveting throughout, emotionally engaging at a level rarely achieved, and ultimately satisfying.

Don't read any of the spoilers in the negative reviews - just let this book happen to you. By the time I was done, I knew why there were negative reviews, I just didn't agree with them. At all. This was a brave, and meaningful book. I loved it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2014 9:24 AM PST

6 FT Mini Plug 3.5mm 1/8" Audio Extension Cable
6 FT Mini Plug 3.5mm 1/8" Audio Extension Cable
Offered by ELMENOS (USA SELLER)
Price: $2.99
10 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin., February 1, 2013
Needed a good solution to make it easier to plug headphones into the back of my desktop computer that sits on the floor, this does the job well, and the price was quite favorable.

Portal 2 - PC
Portal 2 - PC
Offered by games_for_sale
Price: $44.99
25 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Game of the year, June 2, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Portal 2 - PC (Video Game)
It's not often that a game comes along and truly innovates, and is a blast to play. This does both. It's never too hard, but it's still challenging. You learn quickly that if your solution is too ridiculous, you're doing it wrong. The solutions are elegant. As you play, you learn what a solution *feels* like and the feeling of solving each puzzle is quite satisfying.

The co-op in particular, if you have a buddy to play with, is a blast. My only complaint is that the co-op campaign is pretty short. I look forward to more levels/content from Valve.

Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision
Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision
by David DuChemin
Price: $26.33
73 used & new from $6.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to describe so I'll go with: transcendent, November 3, 2009
It's not a book about nuts and bolts (although there's some of that in here when it relates to the topic at hand). It's a book about the creative journey of photography. Very inspiring, very thought provoking. If you enjoy thinking about photography and thinking about the creative process behind doing it well, this is a fine treatise on the subject and a pleasure to read, and re-read. Plus most of the images are gorgeous and wonderful examples of the concepts taught.

Book of a Thousand Days
Book of a Thousand Days
by Shannon Hale
Price: $12.26
166 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is just so good, November 26, 2007
I finished this book a couple weeks ago and I still miss it. I'm reluctant to start a new book because I don't want to wash away the lingering joy from this one. My only complaint is that it ended. Hale's first book, The Goose Girl was so good I never thought she'd top it. I've read all of her intervening books and while I've enjoyed them, this one stands apart. I was hooked within the first few pages, and to my delight, the story never falls apart. It's an engaging, beautiful, meaningful story with a simple and innocent, yet heroic character you quickly grow to care deeply about.

What I loved the most is that I never knew where she was going with the story. It's completely unpredictable, then as I neared the climax and started to see how brilliantly she had woven the whole tale together I was just elated. This book is a treasure.

p.s. to the reviewer who criticized the book because it wasn't perfectly true to Mongolian culture - Hale clearly states in the Acknowledgements that while the setting was in part inspired by medieval Mongolia it did not take place there.

Casio Exilim EX-Z70 7.2MP Digital Camera with 3x Anti Shake Optical Zoom (Black)
6 used & new from $28.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiny, speedy, affordable, March 8, 2007
I love:

How quick and responsive it is.

How tiny it is (without being "I lost it again" tiny).

I'm surprised it's sub $200, seems like a camera worth much more than that.

The photos it takes are gorgeous.

The video it takes is surprising good quality.

The battery lasts quite an impressively long time, and recharges quickly.

Screen is gorgeous.

Menu navigation is easy.

Only downsides:

(This is minor) focusing takes a tiny bit of getting used to. It'll shoot without you focusing properly if you get trigger happy.

It feels a bit fragile - like an iPod (although I've already dropped it and it survived fine) so you'll want a decent case for it.

The Goose Girl (Books of Bayern)
The Goose Girl (Books of Bayern)
by Shannon Hale
Price: $11.84
89 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Sublime, September 15, 2003
This has made its way onto my top 10 list of favorite books.
(First - for book constructions snobs, this book is beautiful. The binding, the cover, the size, the type face, it's all wonderful. A must have in hard cover.)
When I started reading I was quickly absorbed and fascinated by Hale's writing style. It is rich and lush - like reading poetry - only very easy to read and full of clear meaning. Hale's ability to put timeless ideas into words that completely connect with you as a reader is her gift. After my initial love affair with the writing style - it quickly became texture and I was completely swept into the story.
This book is brilliant on many fronts. I hate to be cliché, but once I got into it, the story was so engaging I couldn't put the book down. I laughed, I cheered, I fumed, I even (*cough*) got a little misty eyed in parts, and after the satisfying conclusion I can't wait for more from Hale.
It is a terrific, uplifting story that holds appeal for all ages and genders. It is one of those stories that creeps into your thoughts and dreams when you aren't reading it. Hale understands and captures those essential elements that make a story stick with you and matter. The story is strong with timeless themes like societal equality, compassion, romance, redemption, overcoming difficult odds, justice, war and peace, personal strength and power, shame and honor, integrity and betrayal.
It isn't your standard "fantasy" story with magic and the like. It has some mild elements of that (it is based on a Grimm Brother's fairy tale) and would appeal to any fan of that, but it's also very accessible to those unfamiliar with or uninterested in the fantasy genre.
Bottom line: it is a wonderful story, told extremely well.