Profile for R. Reed > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 69

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. Reed RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Lenovo Y50 4k 15.6-Inch Laptop (59425943) Black
Lenovo Y50 4k 15.6-Inch Laptop (59425943) Black
Price: $1,119.99
40 used & new from $1,119.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Tech For a Little Dough!, July 21, 2014
Since I posted this review I have received my updated unit and the screen has no blemishes. I have updated my review to 5 stars.

*ORIGINAL REVIEW*
I have had the laptop for about a week now and I am very impressed but there is one issue preventing it from getting a 5 rating. My particular machine has a small hotspot (about 30-40 pixels) on the monitor that I can see when the area is a solid color. I work in Adobe Premiere a lot so it's pretty distracting on a static screen but I don't notice it during games. I have a replacement on the way so if the screen has no issues, this review will be changed to a 5. Now for some background and details!

I typically buy Dell computers as they have always served me well but when I saw the price and specs of this machine, I had to give it a chance! So far it has not disappointed considering a comparable, but not quite 4k resolution Dell runs about $600 more and has a slower GPU. I do a lot of video editing and the resolution of this screen allows me to watch windowed 1080p video clips in Premiere at full resolution.

In The Box:
Inside the box you will find the laptop, an external DVD writer with single port USB cable, quick start guide, and the power brick. Not much else is included except for the warranty card. It looks like the users manual and recovery partition are on the machine itself. No restore disks are included.

Appearance & Build Quality:
After checking out the pictures and seeing the keyboard glows red I wasn't quite sure I would like the appearance but I was pleasantly surprised. The laptop is black with a brushed metal top that looks nice even if it is a fingerprint magnet. As stated the keyboard's backlight is red and it really gives the laptop a polished look. The laptop is quite thin and measures less than an inch tall when closed. I have only played a few games so far but when gaming the laptop barely gets warm and with the volume at a normal level I can't hear the fan. With the volume down the fan is pretty quiet. There is some flex to the bottom of the machine if you press on the corner but you won't notice under normal use. On the left side of the machine there are two USB 3.0 ports, an HDMI port, Ethernet connection and the AC port. There is no display port connection so if you want to hook this up to a 4k monitor you will be limited to 30hz. On the right side of the machine there is a USB 2.0 port, SPDIF connection, combination microphone/headphone jack, and a card reader. Power, disk, and battery indicators are on the front of the machine. Overall I think this is very nice looking machine!

Specs:
Inside the machine you will find plenty of horsepower for your games and apps as well as a beautiful 4k screen to display them. The i7 processer runs at a solid 2.4ghz and can turbo up to 3.4ghz. There is also an NVIDIA GTX 860m to render the latest games. 16gb of RAM and a 256gb SSD are included as well. There is no built in optical drive but this model includes an external DVD writer in case you still use those things! Wireless tasks are handled by an Intel wireless AC card. Above the screen is a 720p webcam.

Screen:
Before I gush about how much I love the screen on this laptop, I have to throw up a few disclaimers. As mentioned above, I have a hotspot in the lower left quadrant of my machine that is very visible when there is a solid color in the area. It appears to be whiter than the rest of the screen but it still displays whatever is behind it. It is quite noticeable during static scenes but I don't notice it during gaming. A replacement is on the way from Amazon so I will update this after I receive it. The other issue that doesn't really bother me is that the screen only operates at 48hz. I don't notice it at all, even during gaming, but your mileage may vary if you are an FPS player. This appears to be an Intel driver issue as safemode shows it at 64hz without the Intel driver. One last issue is that Windows doesn't always play nicely with high DPI screens. It took some playing with the DPI scaling to make the text readable from a distance on the desktop. Some apps don't scale well either and you may be left with text the size of a very small ant. Those issues aside, the screen is the reason I bought this computer and it does not disappoint. Even at it's smallest size you can still read text on the desktop if you have good eyes. Everything is crystal clear on the screen and viewing angles are very good. There is not light bleed around the screen on my particular machine. I watched a few 4k videos off Youtube the other night and I was absolutely stunned at the level of detail. Even my wife noticed a difference in quality between 1080p and 2160p and she doesn't pick up on things like that normally. If you can work around the scaling issues you will not be disappointed by this screen. I will also mention that this screen looks great in 1080p if you need to use it.

Keyboard & Trackpad:
The keyboard is a chicklet style keyboard and has one feature that I really enjoy, a full numeric keypad. The keys are responsive and provide a satisfying click but some folks may not appreciate the slick feel they have. It took a little getting used to (like most keyboards) but I have no issues with typing quickly on the keyboard. The trackpad is serviceable and works quite well but I do not like that the keys themselves track your finger movement. After moving the cursor and then clicking on the button, the PC may register movement if you don't push straight down so you will miss clicking on your intended target. This doesn't happen all the time and I normally use a wireless mouse anyway so it doesn't bother me too much. The trackpad does make up for these shortcomings by supporting many gesture controls such as pinch to zoom and two finger scrolling. There are several other gestures that I haven't taken the time to learn as well.

Speakers:
There two speakers on the top corners of the keyboard and a subwoofer on the bottom of the laptop to provide some added bass. The speakers get loud enough to fill the room and can be heard quite well when there is ambient noise in the room (fans, AC, etc.). They don't sound as full as the speakers on my XPS 15 but they work quite well.

Battery Life:
Battery life is advertised as 4 to 5 hours but it may be shorter depending on usage. I haven't fully tested the battery but I had about an hour left in the battery gauge after about 3 hours of web browsing and playing videos off Youtube. With the power settings at "balanced" I managed to play about 1.5 hours of Bioshock Infinite on medium settings. My XPS 15 has a 9 cell battery and gaming times are even shorter so this isn't too bad in my opinion. I should note the battery is only accessible by removing several screws and the bottom cover from the laptop.

Wireless:
The included wireless AC adapter works well and provides me with wireless speeds I have never seen before! My XPS has a wireless G adapter and manages about 5MB/s when transferring large video files off my server. My Acer W700 has a dual band N adapter and manages about 15 to 30MB/s. The AC adapter in this laptop delivers a blistering 50MB/s when copying the same files. This makes moving my video files very speedy! I have not had any connection issues or degradations in quality over the last week of constant use.

Performance:
I stated the specs above so I won't go over them but this computer is speedy! It has handled every task I have thrown at it with relative ease and barely gets warm to the touch. My dell has a 2nd generation i7 that runs at 2.5ghz and there is a noticeable increase in performance with this computer. I rendered a 3 minute HD video in Premiere on both machines and it took a minute thirty on the Dell and 1 minute flat on this machine. The XPS has a GTX 540m video card and I cannot use GPU previews in real time without sever stuttering and frame loss. The same clips play back smooth as butter on the Y50. I'm sure some of it has to do with the fact this machine has twice as much RAM and an SSD but it will certainly decrease the time I spend looking at the now rendering screen!

Gaming:
So far I have only played a few games on the machine but what I have played looks fantastic. Bioshock infinite averages about 50fps on ultra settings at 1920x1080 and about 20fps on low settings at 4k resolution. I also installed Borderlands 2 which averaged about 60fps in 1920x1080 with the settings maxed out and if you turn off ambient occlusion the game averages about 30fps with the settings maxed in 4k resolution. My results are not super scientific but if you play in 1080p you should be able to play most newer games in high to ultra settings. The 48hz refresh didn't cause any problems in the games I played. Needless to say, this PC blows my 2 year old XPS out of the water when it comes to gaming.

Overall I am very impressed with this machine considering the price and specs. I would highly recommend it if you have a similar workload to mine! I will update this review once I receive the replacement as I really feel this PC deserves 5 stars!
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2014 6:28 PM PDT

Polk DSWPRO 550wi Wireless-ready Powered Subwoofer
Polk DSWPRO 550wi Wireless-ready Powered Subwoofer
Offered by Electronic Express
Price: $599.95
3 used & new from $449.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 Years and Counting!, August 18, 2013
I did a lot of research before buying this subwoofer and I couldn't be happier. I have had it for about 2 years now and have not had one single problem with it other than it shipped with a dead remote battery. The subwoofer is in the corner of our living room (11'x17") and the rest of the speakers are Polks as well. The complete system is an Onkyo TX-NR809, 2 Monitor 70's in front, a CS20 center, two front high OWM-3's, and two OWM-5's for surround speakers.

Compared to the last subwoofer I had (100w Sony 8") this thing is a beast. It can hit the lows and shakes the entire condo building I live in. Whether its music or movies it all sounds great! The remote duplicates the settings on the back of the subwoofer and lets you adjust the volume and phase, and also has 4 different room settings based on the position of the sub. I had no problem programming my Onkyo receiver remote to control the sub either.

I almost bought a Polk 8" subwoofer because of the small form factor but this thing was only slightly bigger and a lot more powerful. After hearing how great this sub sounds I am happy I didn't buy an 8". This subwoofer is amazing, you will not be disappointed.

OtterBox Commuter Series Case for Samsung Galaxy S III - Purple
OtterBox Commuter Series Case for Samsung Galaxy S III - Purple
Offered by tahoetrading
Price: $38.74
6 used & new from $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, August 18, 2013
I purchased two of these cases and so far they have been great. I purchased a purple case for my wife and a white case for myself. Both cases were installed about 6 months ago and have not been off the phone since. The package includes two pieces for the case itself, a rubber piece you wrap around the phone, and a hard plastic piece that holds it all together. An instruction manual and a clear plastic screen protector are included but I didn't use either one.

The case itself fits tightly and I didn't have any trouble installing either one. I have dropped the phone on concrete, glass, wood and probably a few other items and the case has protected the phone with no issue. The only problem we have (with both cases) is that the power button is very hard to press with the case installed. This may be by design as the volume buttons do not have this problem.

Overall this is a great case for the price and I would highly recommend it if you have a Galaxy SIII.

PNY NVIDIA GeForce VCGGTX7702XPB GTX 770 2GB GDDR5 Video Card
PNY NVIDIA GeForce VCGGTX7702XPB GTX 770 2GB GDDR5 Video Card
4 used & new from $324.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, July 29, 2013
Simply put, this card is amazing! My primary gaming PC is an HTPC in my living room, running an Intel i5-760 @ 3.6ghz with 8gb of RAM. It is hooked up to a 7.1 channel Onkyo Receiver and a 55" LG LED TV. I was using an ASUS GTX 460 previously and this is quite the upgrade!

The card itself is about 4" tall and 10.7" long. If you are going to put it in an HTPC make sure your case can handle a card of this size. There are 3 fans on the card and a small vent out the back to exhaust hot air. The back of the card also has 2 DVI ports, HDMI, and Display Port so there are plenty of connection options.

I wanted a card that can handle games at close to max settings while running 60fps in 1080p and so far this thing has delivered! I installed MSI's Afterburner software to monitor temps and had the intentions of dialing all my game settings in at 60fps. At first Metro 2033 was hitting 100% GPU usage and 80c temps with very high settings, 4x MSAA, and 4x AF. At that time I was topping the card out at 1046mhz and dropping occasionally to about 45fps. After playing with the fan curve in Afterburner the temp has dropped to about 72c and the card now hits 1137mhz. At those temps and speeds Metro was suddenly hitting 50 to 55fps. I could get it to 60fps by lowering some settings but it looks great so I won't bother. Borderlands II, Dishonored, and Mortal Kombat all run at a solid 60fps at max settings and the card doesn't break a sweat. I have also been playing Just Cause 2 and with high to very high settings and 8x AA and AF it runs around 60fps as well. I should note that since I am gaming on an HDTV I use v-sync to prevent tearing. My benchmarks are nowhere near as scientific as most PC websites so check one out if you want more accurate numbers!

If you are looking for a great card that can run games at max settings in 1080p, this is the card for you! PNY makes the cheapest 770 out right now and it comes with a lifetime warranty so I would have to give it a solid two thumbs up. I highly recommend this card!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2014 1:39 PM PST

Tsunami RCA701-1.5 701 Series RCA Male to Male Cable-1.5 feet, Gray (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cable!, June 9, 2013
I was in need of a short run of RCA cable to connect my subwoofer to a newly installed RCA wall plate and this cable fit the bill perfectly. The entire run consists of 35’ of RCA cable from the receiver to a 90 degree adapter which is plugged into the back of the wall plate. I used this cable from the wall plate to the sub and there is no distortion whatsoever even with so many breaks in the line. The short length makes hiding the cable easy and the sound quality is perfect. If you need a short run of RCA cable I highly recommend this product.

Mediabridge ULTRA Series Subwoofer Cable (35 Feet) - Dual Shielded with Gold Plated RCA to RCA Connectors - Black
Offered by Mediabridge Products, LLC
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For A Long Cable Run!, June 9, 2013
I recently built a new entertainment center and decided to hide all of the wiring in wall. I needed a long RCA cable to go from the closet to an RCA wall plate (for a subwoofer) and settled on this cable due to the price. I am honestly surprised by the quality of this cable. It is a very thick cable and has plenty of shielding. I snaked it through the walls and around a few very tight corners and have not had a problem so far. I ran it alongside my speaker wire and the quality of sound coming from the sub is just as good as with the *high quality* (read: expensive!) six foot cable I was using previously. For the price this cable cannot be beat. I highly recommend this product over the $70 or more cables at your local big box store.

Arlington LV2-1CS Low Voltage Mounting Bracket, 2-Gang, 1-Pack
Arlington LV2-1CS Low Voltage Mounting Bracket, 2-Gang, 1-Pack
Price: $3.99
22 used & new from $0.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Existing Work Bracket!, June 9, 2013
This product makes adding a double gang, low voltage wall plate in your house a snap. Simply place the bracket where you want a wall plate and trace around the inside of it with a pencil. Use a utility knife to cut the hole *slightly* bigger and enlarge it as necessary to have a snug fit when you place the bracket in the hole. After you have placed the bracket in the hole, tighten the two screws until the plastic piece is pinching the drywall. Afterwards you should be ready to fish your cables through and install the face plate.

I used several of these in my recent home entertainment center project and didn’t have any problems whatsoever. All of the wall plates I installed fit flush against the wall and looked great. The only reason I am taking off a star is because a template is not included for marking the hole in the wall, otherwise this is a fine product and works well. I would highly recommend them over the more expensive alternatives at your local big box store.

Arlington LV1-10 Low Voltage Mounting Bracket, 1-Gang, Black, 10-Pack
Arlington LV1-10 Low Voltage Mounting Bracket, 1-Gang, Black, 10-Pack
Price: $14.51
8 used & new from $9.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Existing Work Bracket!, June 9, 2013
This product makes adding a low voltage wall plate in your house a snap. Simply place the bracket where you want a wall plate and trace around the inside of it with a pencil. Use a utility knife to cut the hole *slightly* bigger and enlarge it as necessary to have a snug fit when you place the bracket in the hole. After you have placed the bracket in the hole, tighten the two screws until the plastic piece is pinching the drywall. Afterwards you should be ready to fish your cables through and install the face plate.

I used about 10 of these in my recent home entertainment center project and didn’t have any problems whatsoever. All of the wall plates I installed fit flush against the wall and looked great. The only reason I am taking off a star is because a template is not included for marking the hole in the wall, otherwise this is a fine product and works well. I would highly recommend them over the more expensive alternatives at your local big box store.

BoxWave Skinny Capacitive Stylus for Acer Iconia Tab W700 - Acer Iconia Tab W700 Touch Screen Stylus w/ Longer Barrel and Fine Tip Point (Metallic Silver)

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay for Tapping, Not For Writing, June 3, 2013
I bought this stylus to use with an Acer W700 tablet and while it works, I don't really use it too much anymore. I was used to using my finger on the touchscreen but after buying MS Office and learning how to use OneNote, I wanted something more precise to write with than my finger.

At first I tried a stylus my mother was using with her iPad and while it worked okay for tapping on the screen, the tip was too soft to be precise when taking notes in OneNote (lowercase E's were very hard to write). After some searching here on Amazon I found this stylus made by Boxwave and decided to give it a try.

I was very eager to use it when it showed up but after some time I realized this wasn't the stylus for me. The tip is harder than the previous stylus and while it is more precise, it loses contact with the screen and my letter strokes have breaks in them (even when I press very firmly on the screen). Needless to say, this makes it very hard for OneNote to convert my writing to text. I tried cleaning the screen numerous times and always kept the tip pressed firmly to the screen but the skipping behavior continued.

The stylus looks very nice and includes a headphone adapter to keep it attached to your tablet or phone but my experience in OneNote keeps it firmly placed in my stylus holder 99% of the time. Much like the stylus I borrowed, it's great for tapping on the screen but writing is very hit or miss. Considering I bought it to write, I just can't recommend it for that purpose. My hunt for a good stylus continues so if you can make a recommendation, please leave a comment!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2013 1:52 PM PDT

LUXA2 LHA0049-A Red BT-X3 Bluetooth Stereo Headphone, Black
LUXA2 LHA0049-A Red BT-X3 Bluetooth Stereo Headphone, Black
Offered by Good Luck Bargains
Price: $39.99
4 used & new from $25.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems Galore......, June 3, 2013
I purchased this Headset to use with an Acer W700 tablet and had to return them. When they worked the sound was really good and I loved listening to music on them. There was plenty of bass and they fit well onto my large head. Unfortunately, most of the time I had issues getting them to connect properly and 90% of the time when they did connect, the sound was muffled and distant. I tried messing with settings on both the headphones and tablet but nothing worked. In order to get good sound most of the time I had to disconnect and reconnect the headphones over and over until I had a good connection. Oddly, sometimes when I had a good connection, I would hear random pops and dropouts in the music.

Thinking it may have been a fault with the tablet I tried connecting the headset to my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone and was met with the same results. It would connect and sound perfect about 10% of the time but most of the time it was tinny and distant.
Sadly these were not the only issues with the headset. Every once in a while the connection would be lost and the headset would get stuck in some weird mode with the lights flashing and I would have to reset the headset. Unfortunately, resetting did not always work and you had to let the battery die before you could get the unit working again. This happened about 4 times in two weeks, very irritating.

After 2 weeks of being frustrated by connection issues I had to return the headset. If you have an Acer W700 or Samsung Galaxy S3 I would look elsewhere.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7